Author Topic: milk jug [#1173]  (Read 592 times)

Offline DL

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
milk jug [#1173]
« on: March 21, 2009, 11:38:16 PM »

genius my friend, absolutly genius. good job. though i hope you dont consider your self and atheist or agnostic, because along with god, are also imaginary. if you dont believe in god, you simply dont believe, no use in identifying yourself with that "group" if it doesnt really exist. hope to hear back from you, and continue this conversation. great video by the way

Offline Fridge

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: milk jug [#1173]
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 02:33:07 AM »
The term still applies whether you know it or not, it is a default stance. You probably don't know it, but you're an aleprechaunist, aunicornist, etc. It doesn't say anything about whether god does or does not exist, it only describes what you believe. I don't see how a term denoting a position of belief is imaginary.
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. " - Martin Luther King Jr.

"He wants us to stop sinning- to stop hurting each other.  And one of the ways we do that is by coming to Jesus and eating His flesh and drinking His blood"
-theist

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 07:41:26 AM »
though i hope you dont consider your self and atheist or agnostic, because along with god, are also imaginary. if you dont believe in god, you simply dont believe, no use in identifying yourself with that "group" if it doesnt really exist.

While I agree with Sam Harris that the word atheist is meaningless, the fact is that the aggressive theists (mostly Christians and Muslims in my area of the world) are quick to belittle anyone who doesn't share their narrow religious beliefs.  Time and time again, the rabid hate filled groups and individuals in the Christian and Muslim camps deride any group that does not follow them exactly -- often searching out anyone they disagree with so they can label people as somehow subhuman.

Because of that, I've decided to take a stand and choose.  Just as the homosexuals reclaimed the word gay, I claim both atheist and agnostic.  The words themselves don't say who I am, only who I'm not.  Yet, much is often assumed by people who are moderately to highly religious.  Making a point that their assumptions aren't valid has value.

For more information, take a look at the poll I'm running here;

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=833
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 07:58:09 AM »
For what it's worth, here is Sam Harris talking on the issue;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLosRxbnf5g[/youtube]

Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer