Author Topic: Fact wrong in page 30 of "www.godisimaginary.com/" [#1116]  (Read 430 times)

Offline DL

Fact wrong in page 30 of "www.godisimaginary.com/" [#1116]
« on: February 27, 2009, 08:19:22 AM »

I have no point either for or against belief and/or religion, therefore I am neutral.
However, on the web-page www.godisimaginary.com there is a mistake under sexism (page 30).
You clearly state that there where no female deciples, but that is wrong. Maria Magdalene was a deciple and last time I looked, she actually is a she. Just wanted to tell you that so you can fix it on the page.

Reading the first sentence on the page below gives you clear picture of what I am talking about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Magdalene

Interesting pages and videos.
Best Regards
[name]

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: Fact wrong in page 30 of "www.godisimaginary.com/" [#1116]
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 08:30:36 AM »
Good point.  Then there were 13 apostles, or do one of these not count?

Matthew 10:2-4 (New International Version)

2These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John; 3Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; 4Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.

Source: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew 10:2-4&version=31
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +270/-31
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:42:21 AM »
Isn't Mary Magdalene's status as an apostle sort of contraversial?  Still, I suppose it couldn't hurt to add her as a "possible apostle" on page 30.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 01:01:21 PM »
I didn't track down the wiki references, but it looks like at first glance that the letter writer is correct.  That she's not usually counted and does not appear in the list I posted ( Matthew 10:2-4 ) is just another contradiction in the Bible.

Does anyone else want to comment?  (I don't proclaim to know all the details myself.)
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 02:48:15 PM »
weird stuff when you actually look up about the apostles

they gamble on who gets to be Judas' replacement
Acts 118(With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. 19Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this, so they called that field in their language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood.)
 20"For," said Peter, "it is written in the book of Psalms,
   " 'May his place be deserted;
      let there be no one to dwell in it,'[d] and,
   " 'May another take his place of leadership.'[e] 21Therefore it is necessary to choose one of the men who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, 22beginning from John's baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection."
 23So they proposed two men: Joseph called Barsabbas (also known as Justus) and Matthias. 24Then they prayed, "Lord, you know everyone's heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen 25to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs." 26Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.

1I hope you will put up with a little of my foolishness; but you are already doing that. 2I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him. 3But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. 4For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough. 5But I do not think I am in the least inferior to those "super-apostles." 6I may not be a trained speaker, but I do have knowledge. We have made this perfectly clear to you in every way.
 7Was it a sin for me to lower myself in order to elevate you by preaching the gospel of God to you free of charge? 8I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so as to serve you. 9And when I was with you and needed something, I was not a burden to anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied what I needed. I have kept myself from being a burden to you in any way, and will continue to do so. 10As surely as the truth of Christ is in me, nobody in the regions of Achaia will stop this boasting of mine. 11Why? Because I do not love you? God knows I do! 12And I will keep on doing what I am doing in order to cut the ground from under those who want an opportunity to be considered equal with us in the things they boast about. 13For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ. 14And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. 15It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.

Revelation21:14The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline SkunkButt

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Be pro-active. Raise a stinker
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 03:49:47 AM »
The OP is correct.

But this is a mistake in semantics not in meaning.

I think Marshall meant to say there were no women apostles.

That correction would explain what he meant to say. All 12 apostles were men.
Sometimes we just don't know.

Offline Persian

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 05:22:08 AM »
The OP is correct.

But this is a mistake in semantics not in meaning.

I think Marshall meant to say there were no women apostles.

That correction would explain what he meant to say. All 12 apostles were men.
Yep - the disciples were his followers, the apostles were the 12 guys in his gang =).