Author Topic: The answer to the question why won't God Heal amputees?  (Read 18640 times)

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: The answer to the question why won't God Heal amputees?
« Reply #406 on: April 02, 2009, 12:10:58 AM »
Truth, stick and stones...

Online Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +270/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #407 on: April 02, 2009, 12:22:48 AM »
Psalm 14
Only fools say in their hearts, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, and their actions are evil;
not one of them does good!

You do realize, Truth, that this is slander?

And do you also realize that, with one good action, any atheist, anywhere, can falsify the Bible?
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #408 on: April 02, 2009, 12:25:37 AM »
Psalm 14
Only fools say in their hearts, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, and their actions are evil;

And do you also realize that, with one good action, any atheist, anywhere, can falsify the Bible?

My donation to the Animal Protection Society just cleared my bank account today.  And last weekend I donated a batch of housewares to Goodwill.
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Online Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +270/-3
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #409 on: April 02, 2009, 12:27:59 AM »
My donation to the Animal Protection Society just cleared my bank account today.  And last weekend I donated a batch of housewares to Goodwill.

Check, and mate.  ;D

Offline Truth

« Reply #410 on: April 02, 2009, 12:29:02 AM »
Psalm 14

How is that?  Usually they take the Bible out of context.
Passage 2 Corinthians 10:4:

(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

Online Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +270/-3
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #411 on: April 02, 2009, 12:37:38 AM »

What context?  Agamemnon's donation to the Animal Protection Society, a good action performed by an atheist, is incontrovertible evidence that the quotation from Psalm 14 is false.  By extension, the Bible can not be considered 100% truth.

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #412 on: April 02, 2009, 12:47:11 AM »
That's right, Astreja.  And we just happen to be discussing all the errors in the bible over here:

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=5135.msg120682#msg120682

Tbright has admitted that the bible is full of "copyist errors" and translation problems, but I want to know why his omnipotent God was unable to preserve the perfection that the bible supposedly was prior to the translations and rewrites.  He is omnipotent, after all, so it seems like an easy thing for a God, but I guess not.  It's a good debate, you ought to check it out.  :D
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline Truth

« Reply #413 on: April 02, 2009, 01:14:00 AM »
The answer to your question is simple.  God inspired the Scriptures.  Men translated and copied them.  Men are not perfect.  Here is a statement from Bible.com to substantiate what I am saying.

"The majority of scholars agree, however, that the mis-copied words do not involve major Bible doctrines. The biggest area of confusion, which involves history, not doctrines, seems to be in the use of numbers. For example, did the Philistines send 3,000 war chariots to one battle or 30,000?

No other book has been so scrutinized, sifted for error, criticized, and even vilified and attacked on such a massive scale as the Bible. Yet, it is still read and loved by millions."

I underlined do not involved major Bible doctrines, because I think it important not to get bogged down in minutia Look at the big picture.  Try it.  You can do it. 

(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

Offline Truth

« Reply #414 on: April 02, 2009, 01:15:25 AM »

What context?  Agamemnon's donation to the Animal Protection Society, a good action performed by an atheist, is incontrovertible evidence that the quotation from Psalm 14 is false.  By extension, the Bible can not be considered 100% truth.

Ok, say it's 99% truth.  Do you believe now?

Offline Fridge

« Reply #415 on: April 02, 2009, 01:22:28 AM »
Make that 98%, I volunteered at a shelter last weekend feeding homeless and what have you, and 97%: my sister went too. Make that about 85%, most of the people there were atheists or agnostics. Oh boy did I mention this was a Sunday morning... most of the "Christians" were busy comparing outfits and picking their noses at this time. Your stats are looking really grim at this point.

I help others because there are a lot of people in need of help. I don't do it so I can get a VIP pass to heaven.
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. " - Martin Luther King Jr.

"He wants us to stop sinning- to stop hurting each other.  And one of the ways we do that is by coming to Jesus and eating His flesh and drinking His blood"
-theist

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #416 on: April 02, 2009, 01:33:12 AM »
The answer to your question is simple.  God inspired the Scriptures.  Men translated and copied them.  Men are not perfect.  Here is a statement from Bible.com to substantiate what I am saying.

No, I'm afraid it isn't that simple.  Your bible is the "less-than-perfect" word of God-- a corruption of the original.  You should go check out my thread.  I'm asking questions that are important, but I don't want to divert this thread too much.

Offline Truth

« Reply #417 on: April 02, 2009, 01:37:24 AM »
It is good that you were helping.  But good works, alone, will not get you into heaven.  

“Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. 22 On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ 23 But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’

God's Law is Lord the Lord God with all your heart, with all your soul.  

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #418 on: April 02, 2009, 02:11:00 AM »
It is good that you were helping.  But good works, alone, will not get you into heaven.  

Who gives a sh!t about heaven?  We're proving that your bible is flawed, here.

Offline Truth

« Reply #419 on: April 02, 2009, 02:38:44 AM »
Here is a quote from Bible.com.  This is information from people that have researched the matter (scholars if you will)

"Criticism of the Bible Has Been Proven Wrong

Some critics of the Bible say it is simply a collection of man's writings. Others believe it is a great "literary masterpiece," but not the "Word of God." Those are the people who do not believe there is a God. Others believe God's Word is in the Bible but that the entire Bible is not God's Word. However, scholars have proven that the Bible is accurate in its depiction of historical events that have been documented elsewhere, so the rest of it should be considered true as well, in spite of the critics. On the other hand, even if none of the Bible had any secular evidence, we still should believe it rather than the world's knowledge, because it is the Word of God and is reliable.

The majority of scholars agree, however, that the mis-copied words do not involve major Bible doctrines. The biggest area of confusion, which involves history, not doctrines, seems to be in the use of numbers. For example, did the Philistines send 3,000 war chariots to one battle or 30,000?

No other book has been so scrutinized, sifted for error, criticized, and even vilified and attacked on such a massive scale as the Bible. Yet, it is still read and loved by millions."

Before you say it...How do you know it's not true. 

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #420 on: April 02, 2009, 06:45:32 AM »
People!

If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #422 on: April 02, 2009, 07:16:20 AM »
The thread is already at the bottom, so to speak.

As I have said before the musulim's god is dead in the ground. 

This is not correct. I expect you are inferring that since Muslims consider that Jesus was a prophet of god, and Jesus subsequently died, that you are thinking that Muslims are worshiping a dead god. This is a convoluted error in your knowledge. In all three abrahamic faiths, god is god and has always been and will always be. Jesus was a Jew. Some Jews found him to be the son of god, others did not. The fact that some Jews viewed him as a heretic and Muslims viewed him as a prophet, whether dead in the ground or ascended to heaven, the god mentioned in all three faiths did not die. He would be the same god, regardless.

If, by your inference, you believe that Jesus was god and died (but was later resurrected), then you are saying that your god died. However, how did a dead god resurrect himself? The Christian Trinity identifies Jesus as the son of god and not fully god unto himself but part of the faith's triumvirate to posterity.

This is, however, a convoluted thought process filled with errors. As stated before, this is circular logic, which means that it is not the least bit logical at all. To make matters worse, if Christians value the Ten Commandments, then the Christian faith is in violation of one of its own commandments. If you are to "take no other gods before me", then you are required to reject Jesus as god. This means that you cannot assert that Muslims worship a god that is dead in the grave.

I fear that you won't be able to understand this.

The Bible is the true word of God because that what we collectively (in the Christian community) define it to mean.

Wouldn't the bible be the true word of your god because of your god's proclamation rather than what the collective humans decide? This indicates acknowledgement from you that your community (the human collective of Christians) selectively chooses which words (books) form part of the bible.

What if you are wrong?

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Agent_007

• Secret Agent
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #423 on: April 02, 2009, 07:16:56 AM »
I don't know.  Quote something from the Quran and I will match it up against the truth.  I would venture to say that there are some truths in the Quran.  I don't know though since I have never seen one.

Because you have never seen a Qu'ran, does that mean that Islam and Muslims' interpretation of god is invalid? If so, how? If not, why not?

Former Global Moderator Account

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
  • non-cdesign-proponentsist
« Reply #424 on: April 02, 2009, 07:41:45 AM »
Here is a quote from Bible.com.  This is information from people that have researched the matter (scholars if you will)

Scholars? <snort> It doesn't take any scholarship to come up with bullshit apologia.

"Criticism of the Bible Has Been Proven Wrong

Some critics of the Bible say it is simply a collection of man's writings. Others believe it is a great "literary masterpiece," but not the "Word of God." Those are the people who do not believe there is a God. Others believe God's Word is in the Bible but that the entire Bible is not God's Word. However, scholars have proven that the Bible is accurate in its depiction of historical events that have been documented elsewhere, so the rest of it should be considered true as well, in spite of the critics. On the other hand, even if none of the Bible had any secular evidence, we still should believe it rather than the world's knowledge, because it is the Word of God and is reliable.

The majority of scholars agree, however, that the mis-copied words do not involve major Bible doctrines. The biggest area of confusion, which involves history, not doctrines, seems to be in the use of numbers. For example, did the Philistines send 3,000 war chariots to one battle or 30,000?

Before you say it...How do you know it's not true.

The Bible makes an assortment of extremely tall claims, so skepticism and doubt is the default position here. The correct question should be: how do you know it's true? You've as much as admitted that you can't establish it: "you just need faith!" is the eternal cry. Sorry, matey, but "faith" is bullshit. It's just an excuse for failing to pony up a shred of reliable evidence to support the audacious nonsense you're spouting. I wouldn't buy a used video game on "faith". Never mind surrender my intellectual integrity.

So firstly, where's this "proof" that scholars claim to have?

And secondly, just because some parts of some books in a compilation may be based on actual events does not make the entire compilation true in entirety. That would be like saying that Hercules Poirot and Sherlock Holmes were real people on the grounds that the parts of the books that depicted actual historical events correlated well with historians' understanding of those same events. Clearly, therefore, the claim made here by bible.com that "the rest of it should be considered true as well, in spite of the critics" is so utterly disingenuous that an eight-year-old ought to be able to see through it.
No day in which you learn something is wasted.

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
« Reply #425 on: April 02, 2009, 08:01:54 AM »
So calling me names proves something?  Let me ask you something.  How do you know it's not true? Prove there is no God.

I do not know what a god is, do not know where it is, do not know if its even there, and dont even know how to define it, and all I can say is I don't believe in one because I have no reason too.

Passage John 8:32:
32 And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
My irony meter has just overloaded.
"The Bible is a Banquet table not a snack tray!" - Anonymous Facebook User

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #426 on: April 02, 2009, 08:22:54 AM »
People!

Seconded;

Thirded, sorry I don't have a nifty troll pic, though.

Offline Truth

« Reply #427 on: April 02, 2009, 10:26:30 AM »
Passage Isaiah 54:17:

No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

Offline Truth

« Reply #428 on: April 02, 2009, 10:31:55 AM »
I don't know.  Quote something from the Quran and I will match it up against the truth.  I would venture to say that there are some truths in the Quran.  I don't know though since I have never seen one.

Because you have never seen a Qu'ran, does that mean that Islam and Muslims' interpretation of god is invalid? If so, how? If not, why not?

No basically what invalidates their god to me is that my God said though shall have no other gods before me.  I believe the Muslims have a God named allah.  I am happy to believe in their religion if they teach confess with your mouth that you are a sinner, accept that Jesus is the son of God, and that he died and then arose three days later and is now seated at the right hand of the Father making intercession on our behalf.   If their qu'ran has this, I would gladly accept it.

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #429 on: April 02, 2009, 10:32:45 AM »

No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

Preaching.  Can we ban this idiot already?

Offline wolffie22

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #430 on: April 02, 2009, 10:44:17 AM »
Quote: Usually when one gets a limb amputated, it is because that limb has become life threatening.  So the miracle is to remove it and the body becomes healed or is no longer threatened with death from a diseased limb...

God could have said he would grow these limbs back, but he said to cut them off.  In the natural, he wants us to cut off sin that is in our lives.  Amputees are his angels that remind us that we need to cut off sin in our lives.... 

That is why he won’t “heal” (I presume you mean grow the limb back).  I hope this explains it to you.  Bottom line is God wants us to be cut off from sin....

What about people born without a limb, as a friend of mine was?????

[/quote]
God never answers prayers if there is no possibility of coincidence.

Exactly!

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
« Reply #431 on: April 02, 2009, 10:52:11 AM »

No basically what invalidates their god to me is that my God said though shall have no other gods before me.  I believe the Muslims have a God named allah.  I am happy to believe in their religion if they teach confess with your mouth that you are a sinner, accept that Jesus is the son of God, and that he died and then arose three days later and is now seated at the right hand of the Father making intercession on our behalf.    If their qu'ran has this, I would gladly accept it.

Um, that would morph Islam into Christianity.  So, you are saying, if other religions did things your way, you would accept their religion?  For the umteenth time, you have no basis to claim yours is a superior religion to that of Islam.  Chrisitans have exactly the same amount of evidence to support their position as Islam.  A dusty old book making claims about reality which cannot be shown to be "the truth".  Get over yourself.
"The Bible is a Banquet table not a snack tray!" - Anonymous Facebook User

Offline Truth

« Reply #432 on: April 02, 2009, 11:08:35 AM »

What about people born without a limb, as a friend of mine was?????

[/quote]

The answer is the same:    Bottom line is God wants us to be cut off from sin....

Offline Truth

« Reply #433 on: April 02, 2009, 11:11:44 AM »

Preaching.  Can we ban this idiot already?

Why do you only want people on here that agree with your view point.  Are you afraid to hear the truth.  Fear not.  God wants to do you no harm.  He loves you.

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0