Author Topic: The answer to the question why won't God Heal amputees?  (Read 18324 times)

Offline Jeeves

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: The answer to the question why won't God Heal amputees?
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2009, 12:24:46 AM »
You questions make no sense.  They just reveal that you have read or heard some things about the Bible that you don't understand.  You need to read the bible daily and God will answer the questions for you.  As I said your questions don't even make sense.  Jesus gave his life to atone for our sins.  So all we have to do now is Love the Lord God with all our heart and with all our soul.  You sound like a slave to sin.  There is no more natural slavery.  But there is spiritual slavery.  Spiritual slavery is when you are in darkness about the truth.  You deny the true and living God.  God is truth.  God is light and the truth shall make you free.  I will pray for you though, because I know that God loves you.  I pray that you get knowledge, wisdom and understanding.  I do not debate the Bible especially with unbelievers.  I will however answer serious questions, not cynical scoffing.  God does not have to prove anything to us.  He is God and that's that.  We are his children. 

Just thought that was worth reposting.  ;D
You can't fail forever.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2009, 12:26:06 AM »
You questions make no sense.  They just reveal that you have read or heard some things about the Bible that you don't understand.  You need to read the bible daily and God will answer the questions for you.  As I said your questions don't even make sense.  Jesus gave his life to atone for our sins.  So all we have to do now is Love the Lord God with all our heart and with all our soul.  You sound like a slave to sin.  There is no more natural slavery.  But there is spiritual slavery.  Spiritual slavery is when you are in darkness about the truth.  You deny the true and living God.  God is truth.  God is light and the truth shall make you free.  I will pray for you though, because I know that God loves you.  I pray that you get knowledge, wisdom and understanding.  I do not debate the Bible especially with unbelievers.  I will however answer serious questions, not cynical scoffing.  God does not have to prove anything to us.  He is God and that's that.  We are his children. 

I said; answer my questions.  All of my questions relate to things god commanded us to do.  You said you read the entire bible.  You should know what I'm talking about, or do I need to bring up the relevant verses?
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Fridge

« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2009, 12:32:35 AM »

I gave you comments.  One of the most important comments that I gave you is that Jesus died for our sins.  You don't have to believe me now.  But you will.  Because I prayed for you to accept Christ as your Lord and Savior and God answers prayers.  There will be a time in your life when the burdens you have to bear are so big that you know you cannot bear them by yourself and God will be there ready to carry the load for you and answer your cry.  Then you will believe me.  The word of God says that every knee will bow at the name of Jesus.  So I know you will bow. 

I would like to answer the question why should you believe? Well in this life we all know that it for a s brief time only.  Even 90 years is brief.  But we know if we want to live forever all we have to do is confess our sins, believe that Jesus was raised from the dead and is now seated at the right hand of the Father making intercession on our behalf and we shall be saved and have eternal life.  I want eternal life.  How about you? 

Again, you are missing the entire point. Why should I believe your claims over a Muslim's, a Hindu's, or a Zoroastrian's? Which holy book is right?

Immortality is quite a bold claim. Can you prove it?
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. " - Martin Luther King Jr.

"He wants us to stop sinning- to stop hurting each other.  And one of the ways we do that is by coming to Jesus and eating His flesh and drinking His blood"
-theist

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2009, 12:39:42 AM »
Just thought that was worth reposting.  ;D

Thanks, Jeeves.  It wasn't, but since you have...

You questions make no sense.

They make more sense than your response.

They just reveal that you have read or heard some things about the Bible that you don't understand.

Apparently he understands them quite well.

You need to read the bible daily and God will answer the questions for you.

Not good enough.  Apparently you have reconciled these issues in your mind, so tell us how you were able to achieve that.  Is it just some magic that comes over the reader so all these crazy things that didn't make sense before suddenly do?

As I said your questions don't even make sense.  Jesus gave his life to atone for our sins.  So all we have to do now is Love the Lord God with all our heart and with all our soul.

How can someone love something that doesn't seem to exist?  In order for me to love something that something has to have a positive impact in my life.  So far the only impact God has had in my life has been negative, in the form of believers pushing their garbage on me, telling me how to live my life and trying to manipulate me in various ways.  Actually, I should revise that a little.  God, the invisible being, has zero impact on my life, positive or negative.  Followers of God have had a negative impact on my life.

You sound like a slave to sin.

You sound like a slave to an invisible being that doesn't appear to exist in any way, shape or form.

There is no more natural slavery.  But there is spiritual slavery.  Spiritual slavery is when you are in darkness about the truth.  You deny the true and living God.  God is truth.  God is light and the truth shall make you free.  I will pray for you though, because I know that God loves you.  I pray that you get knowledge, wisdom and understanding.

Your arrogance is really quite staggering.

I do not debate the Bible especially with unbelievers.

Thereby ensuring that you will stay in your little bubble of biblical bliss.  How can you possibly be so sure about God when you haven't got the guts to challenge the unbelievers?  You've got God on your side, you shouldn't be such a coward.  Your faith must be very weak.

I will however answer serious questions, not cynical scoffing.  God does not have to prove anything to us.  He is God and that's that.  We are his children. 

So you are going to use the "cynical scoffing" excuse to dodge anything that represents a serious challenge to your beliefs?  That figures.  How about if you do some cynical scoffing of your own?  Can we ignore that?  You won't claim victory if we ignore your cynical scoffing, right?  If you make self-righteous and arrogant statements, like the majority of this post that I am responding to, can we ignore them?

Actually, I wouldn't ignore them, no matter what you told me.  I'm pretty confident that there isn't anything in your religion that I can't at least hold my own in a debate against, and I don't have God on my side.  Frankly, I'm glad I don't have God on my side--He's a huge liability in a debate.
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline Jeeves

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2009, 12:40:00 AM »
Fridge,

What one proof would you want that would make you believein the Christian God? Aside from the obvious amputee thing......obviously if an amputee were miraculously heald you would question, "yeah, which God?" I'm sorry for the presumption, but it seemed relevant to my question. I mean no disrespect by it.
You can't fail forever.

Offline Truth

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2009, 12:44:57 AM »
YES bring up the relevant verses and I will answer your questions. 
Passage 2 Corinthians 10:4:

(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

Offline Fridge

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2009, 12:59:46 AM »
Fridge,

What one proof would you want that would make you believein the Christian God? Aside from the obvious amputee thing......obviously if an amputee were miraculously heald you would question, "yeah, which God?" I'm sorry for the presumption, but it seemed relevant to my question. I mean no disrespect by it.

To believe that he exists? Well, anything objective that would be without ambiguity. The cure for cancer written with clouds, amputees healed spontaneously on video, a $1 million check in my mailbox tomorrow, etc.

To worship this guy? Sorry, that's stretching my morals very thin.
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. " - Martin Luther King Jr.

"He wants us to stop sinning- to stop hurting each other.  And one of the ways we do that is by coming to Jesus and eating His flesh and drinking His blood"
-theist

Offline Jeeves

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2009, 01:05:15 AM »

To believe that he exists? Well, anything objective that would be without ambiguity. The cure for cancer written with clouds, amputees healed spontaneously on video, a $1 million check in my mailbox tomorrow, etc. 

Will you take a post dated check? The Canadians have found a cure for lung cancer. wondering "how much does a sky writer cost, and where are those Canadians?" Sure, I'll make a video this week, can't prove it's real.

if that's all you need, I should get to work on it.

Worshiping him, well, that'll come later after you believe.
You can't fail forever.

Offline Fridge

« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2009, 01:13:51 AM »

Will you take a post dated check? The Canadians have found a cure for lung cancer. wondering "how much does a sky writer cost, and where are those Canadians?" Sure, I'll make a video this week, can't prove it's real.

if that's all you need, I should get to work on it.

Worshiping him, well, that'll come later after you believe.

Well, you've just let me know that it's going to be you. That's why I said something without ambiguity. Find a well known amputee, get several news cameras on him, and perform the miracle so everyone can see.

And you're wrong about the worship. I used to believe god exists, a long time ago, but I never worshipped him. I can believe a despot exists, but I won't worship him.

-theist

Offline Truth

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2009, 01:25:50 AM »
You need to read my original post again.  I told you God does not grow limbs and I explained why.  Read it again.  God is not Santa Claus.  He is true and living God.  He answers prayer not grant wishes. Amputees are healed because if they kept a diseased or wounded limb they would die.  With the limb removed, they have life on this earth.  Read the post again.  Pray for understanding.  I pray for your understanding. 

(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

Offline Fridge

« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2009, 01:59:12 AM »
Why should I believe your claims over a Muslim's, a Hindu's, or a Zoroastrian's? Which holy book is right?

And you never answered my question... what distinguishes your god not healing amputees from any other god not healing amputees? The justifications are exactly the same.

Why won't Allah heal amputees? Why won't Ahura-Mazda heal amputees? Why won't Zeus heal amputees? The reason they don't is the same reason why your god doesn't.

-theist

loner

« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2009, 05:38:39 AM »
Hahahah the first post actually made me laugh a little

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2009, 06:18:32 AM »
So all we have to go by in this Jesus belief is an old compilation of books decided upon by a committee? Could you give us just a tad more evidence that this Jesus character, as portrayed in the bible, ever existed?

He still exists today.  He is just in heaven praying for you right now.  One evidence that Jesus walked with man is the apostle Paul.  He wrote a lot of the New Testament and in it he stated he saw and walked with Jesus.  Paul started out as a non believer and then once converted become one of the most prolific and best promoters of God (if you will).  He did it all from a jail cell.  Jesus and God exists another evidence is that they wake you up every morning.  You don't have to wake up.  You could have been dead.  But by the grace of God you still have lift on this earth.  Just ask him to come into your heart and he will show you for yourself that he still lives.  I dare you to ask him.

What part of "an old compilation of books decided upon by a committee" (aka the Bible) did you not understand? I asked for evidence that the biblical Jesus ever existed and you horribly failed to provide it. I therefore conclude that the bibilcal Jesus is a hoax and you are in the same boat with him.
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2009, 10:20:05 AM »
YES bring up the relevant verses and I will answer your questions. 

Alright, but I find it strange you don't know what I'm talking about, considering you've read the bible.

On selling/buying girls: Exodus 21:7-11

On animal sacrifices: Leviticus 1-7

On the sabbath day: Exodus 35: 1-3 Numbers 15: 32-36

On mildew: Leviticus 13: 47-59

This is talking about mildew on clothing and leather, but how does this apply if I have mildew on my wall or another place?  Do I need to burn down my place then?  Why doesn't god prescribe any mildew prevention?  Or any mildew cure-all?

On menstruation:  Leviticus 15: 19-33
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 10:32:53 AM by Aaron123 »
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Truth

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2009, 12:50:31 PM »
A mocker seeks wisdom and never finds it,but knowledge comes easily to those with understanding. Are you a mocker?  I am reminded of the story when Jesus was in the desert Satan came and tried to tempt him saying if you be God, then do this, do that.  Are you trying to tempt God?  Not me, because I am a child of God not God.  I am just writing what the word of God says, so your argument is not with me, it is with God.

Leviticus 15: 19-33 Those were customs and ceremonies in Old Testament times before the coming of Jesus. Separating the woman was symbolic of how God is separated from us when we sin.  But today we do not follow those customs because Jesus came and we were atoned for our sins, however we are still separated from God when we sin.  All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.  All we have to do is repent (turn away) from our sin and ask God’s forgiveness and because of the blood of Jesus he will forgive us.

Leviticus 1-7--There is in these things a type of the sufferings of the Son of God, who was to be a sacrifice for the sins of the whole world? The burning body of an animal was but a faint representation of that everlasting misery, which we all have deserved; and which our blessed Lord bore in his body and in his soul, when he died under the load of our iniquities. The beast to be offered must be without blemish. This signified the strength and purity that were in Christ, and the holy life that should be in his people. Jesus came and paid the ultimate sacrifice, so we no longer have to offer up burnt offerings.

Numbers 15; Again we do not stone people for breaking the Sabbath day.  Jesus came and died for our sins. It is a symbolic representation of what happens when we sin.  The wages of sin is death.  God doesn’t kill us, but the sin does.  There may not be a physical death, but something in the sinner’s life dies.  For instance, when one commits adultery, a marriage could die as a result of it.  I said could not necessarily.  We can choose the sin, but not the consequence.  Again we should read the bible daily and go do a bible believing, bible teaching church.  If you have to work on Sunday, there are ways in this day and time that you can get the messages: tapes, cds, or other material that is being preached.  Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. It is important to spend time with God.
Leviticus 13:47-59:  The reference to mildew is referring to contamination, again another symbolic representation of sin.  God does not want us to live in sin.  Jesus died for us so that we do not have to live in sin. 

I think you are being cynical and scoffing at the word of God.  That’s okay because the apostle Paul persecuted (actually killed Christians) before he became saved.  You are one of God’s children and he loves you no matter what.  But one day you will need him and he will be there for you.  Every knee shall bow at the name of Jesus.  God loves you.  Don't be a mocker.

Offline Truth

« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2009, 01:04:45 PM »
Someone  asked the question why my God and not some other God like allah or  whatever?  I can't find the post, but the answer is that there has never been another God that can raise the dead, perform the miracles that Jesus performed and is still performing, creates life.  There is only one all knowing, all powerful, ever present God and he heals amputees.  Read the first post if you need to.  Don't argue with me, the battle is not mine, but it's the Lord.  He is the one that can make blind eyes see. 

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2009, 01:20:53 PM »
Leviticus 15: 19-33 Those were customs and ceremonies in Old Testament times before the coming of Jesus. Separating the woman was symbolic of how God is separated from us when we sin.  But today we do not follow those customs because Jesus came and we were atoned for our sins, however we are still separated from God when we sin.  All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.  All we have to do is repent (turn away) from our sin and ask God’s forgiveness and because of the blood of Jesus he will forgive us.

Three questions (with the above in mind as well as your other comments);

1. Why did God change?

2. Why were those previous practices valid?

3. Why not just discard the OT as an irrelevant curiosity?
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2009, 01:24:49 PM »
Someone  asked the question why my God and not some other God like allah or  whatever?  I can't find the post, but the answer is that there has never been another God that can raise the dead, perform the miracles that Jesus performed and is still performing, creates life.  There is only one all knowing, all powerful, ever present God and he heals amputees.  Read the first post if you need to.  Don't argue with me, the battle is not mine, but it's the Lord.  He is the one that can make blind eyes see.

Yet, you are here.  Not your deity.  You are making those claims to us.  So, the argument -- if any -- does indeed fall to you.

As for the specific claims;

"there has never been another God that;

1. "can raise the dead"

2. "perform the miracles that Jesus performed"

3. "and is still performing"

4. "creates life".

Do you want to actually stand by those claims, or do you want to reconsider?
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Fridge

« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2009, 01:40:44 PM »

You're just trotting out your ignorance of mythology here. If you claim that Jesus is performing miracles now, prove it. It shouldn't be too hard.

Jesus is more of a collage character. Have you even researched this beyond your Bible? Take a look at all of the gods that have similar characteristics. Check out the parallels between Jesus and Horus here, and the similarities between Jesus and Krishna here. Read about the man who began his ministry at age 7, baptized in water at age 30 and was visited by the light of god, had difficulty spreading his gospels because of competing priests, and so on. His name is Zarathushtra, but I'm sure you've heard about him. Zoroastrianism is still around today.

Performing miracles was common to a number of figures in mythology. Why should I believe your claims over theirs?

-theist

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2009, 01:51:20 PM »
Well played Fridge, well played

(OMG, we have the rolling eyes!!!!  &) !!!)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 02:03:29 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Fridge

« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2009, 01:54:37 PM »

(OMG, we hate the rolling eyes!!!!  &) !!!)

Thanks  ;D. Don't you mean, 'have'?  :D

-theist

Offline Truth

« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2009, 01:55:07 PM »
Emily

God is waiting for you.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2009, 02:08:48 PM »

(OMG, we hate the rolling eyes!!!!  &) !!!)

Thanks  ;D. Don't you mean, 'have'?  :D

Oh, well played again! :)

Truth, first you have to successfully explain the links presented by Fridge. During the BC era is a common practice to basically rip off other religions, add in a few words, and presto, you have a new religion. As far as the bible goes, it is amazing that it was able to be compiled of books that were written centuries apart. However, the compiling was done by people. Also, the first gospels were written, not printed, so how can you say for certain that what's printed in the bible was the original statement made by the apostles, or anyone else who authors the books in the OT.

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Truth

« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2009, 03:08:16 PM »
Obviously you are confused.  God is not the author of confusion.  Give your life to Jesus and God will give you knowledge, wisdom, and understanding.  I did answer Fridge's questions.  Look for them on the threads.  God loves you and he is waiting for you. 

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2009, 03:12:18 PM »
Turth, do you know anthing about history at all? Maybe you took a night course one time?
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Truth

« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2009, 03:14:58 PM »
What's your point???

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2009, 03:16:50 PM »
I want to know if you know anything about history.

Is it now safe to assume you are uneducated?
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2009, 03:20:08 PM »
Truth; you've dismissed my questions by saying those things don't apply anymore.  Ok, then I have some more question for you.

Do you follow the ten commandments?

If yes; then should everyone else follow them?

If yes, then why does this still apply towards us, but not anything else in the OT?

Are you aware of the other set of ten commandments that god gave Moses, and that which Moses placed in the ark?  If so, could you direct me to the passage that contants them?  I'm just curious if you're aware of them.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2009, 03:27:17 PM »
Here is a historical question for you: Did you know that dozens of other cultures/religions have a deluge myth. Another part of the whole "rip of effect" religion has.

Also, here is a question that I've always found interesting. If god loves us all, and the ONLY way to get to heaven is by knowing god, then what about the people who lived in Mesoamerica during Christ's time? Those people died without knowing Jesus and are from a christian perspective in hell. Were they forgotten?