Author Topic: The answer to the question why won't God Heal amputees?  (Read 17894 times)

Offline Truth

Re: The answer to the question why won't God Heal amputees?
« Reply #348 on: March 31, 2009, 08:22:30 PM »
Good question.  The word Bible as far as I know is not in the Scripture.  But there are other words that mean Bible such as Scripture; word of the Lord; Sword of the Spirit, book of the Law
Bible as defined by Webster.com  is the sacred scriptures of Christians comprising the Old Testament and the New Testament

You do agree that things can have different names.  For instance my nickname is Truth, by real name is Jackie.  I have more than one name.  Thus the Bible has more than one name.

Passage Joshua 24:27:
   27And Joshua said unto all the people, Behold, this stone shall be a witness unto us; for it hath heard all the words of the LORD which he spake unto us: it shall be therefore a witness unto you, lest ye deny your God.
Passage 2 Samuel 22:31:
   31As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him.
"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope." (Romans 15:4).
"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope." (Romans 15:4).
Take...the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God" (Ephesians 6: 17).
Would you prefer I called it Scripture?  If that makes you feel better, I would do it.
Passage 2 Corinthians 10:4:

(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

Offline subtleinspiration

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #349 on: March 31, 2009, 08:23:17 PM »
As far as I know I have not been preaching.  Can you tell me what you define as preaching?

Let me put it in babytalk for you, Truth, as you don't seem to be capable of understanding a much higher level of communication.

Stop posting bible verses that generally have nothing to do with the discussion (and stop even if it does in some way). If you don't, you'll probably find yourself banned.

Capiche?
"As a God fearing Christian,  you should never ever date an Atheist. One night alone with an atheist is enough for you to lose your faith and to be converted into one of the spiritually dead."

Offline Truth

« Reply #350 on: March 31, 2009, 08:34:56 PM »
The verses have everything to do with the topic.  I am careful to find verses that are relevant to the topic being discussed.

(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

Offline subtleinspiration

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #351 on: March 31, 2009, 08:36:27 PM »
The verses have everything to do with the topic.  I am careful to find verses that are relevant to the topic being discussed.

Hey, moron, you were warned by a moderator. Do what you will, but don't act surprised if one day you can't log in anymore.
"As a God fearing Christian,  you should never ever date an Atheist. One night alone with an atheist is enough for you to lose your faith and to be converted into one of the spiritually dead."

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #352 on: March 31, 2009, 08:59:51 PM »
Good question.  The word Bible as far as I know is not in the Scripture.  But there are other words that mean Bible such as Scripture; word of the Lord; Sword of the Spirit, book of the Law

I will agree that scripture can be the bible, but not the others. Unless you can give biblical evidence to refute?

Bible as defined by Webster.com  is the sacred scriptures of Christians comprising the Old Testament and the New Testament

You do agree that things can have different names.  For instance my nickname is Truth, by real name is Jackie.  I have more than one name.  Thus the Bible has more than one name.

Yes, "Work of Fiction" fits nicely.

Passage Joshua 24:27:
   27And Joshua said unto all the people, Behold, this stone shall be a witness unto us; for it hath heard all the words of the LORD which he spake unto us: it shall be therefore a witness unto you, lest ye deny your God.

Not bible, but words that Joshua claimed came from Jehovah.

Passage 2 Samuel 22:31:
   31As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him.

Not bible, but the words spoken by prophets at the time.

Scriptures, never called the "word of God"

Take...the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God" (Ephesians 6: 17).

Never equated to the bible.

Would you prefer I called it Scripture?  If that makes you feel better, I would do it.

Sure, because the foundation you've been trying to build crumbles when you do.
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline Agent_007

• Secret Agent
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #353 on: April 01, 2009, 06:33:34 AM »

Truth, if I quoted to you verses from the Qu'ran to support my position on an issue, what would be your view of those verses?

Former Global Moderator Account

Offline Truth

« Reply #354 on: April 01, 2009, 06:56:55 AM »
I don't know.  Quote something from the Quran and I will match it up against the truth.  I would venture to say that there are some truths in the Quran.  I don't know though since I have never seen one.

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
  • non-cdesign-proponentsist
« Reply #355 on: April 01, 2009, 07:00:16 AM »
I don't know.  Quote something from the Quran and I will match it up against the truth.  I would venture to say that there are some truths in the Quran.  I don't know though since I have never seen one.

And what "truth" would you match it up against?
No day in which you learn something is wasted.

Offline Truth

« Reply #356 on: April 01, 2009, 07:18:10 AM »
The Bible, the Holy word of God

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
« Reply #357 on: April 01, 2009, 07:34:23 AM »
The Bible, the Holy word of God
And how do you evaluate the truth value of that, or do you simply assume that it is the "truth"?

According to Muslims, the Bible isn't the holy word of God; the Qur'an is. So in what respect do you think your deliberations would have any relevance to a Muslim?

Offline Truth

« Reply #358 on: April 01, 2009, 08:29:55 AM »
As I have said before the musulim's god is dead in the ground.  allah, I believe is his name.  My God, the only true and living God is alive in Heaven.  Their never raised anyone from the dead and ascended them into Heaven.  Their god did not create heaven and earth, my God did.  They reference God, they just get confused as to who he is.

Passage Jeremiah 10:10:

But the LORD is the true God, he is the living God, and an everlasting king: at his wrath the earth shall tremble, and the nations shall not be able to abide his indignation.

Offline dmnemaine

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #359 on: April 01, 2009, 08:32:03 AM »
As I have said before the musulim's god is dead in the ground.  allah, I believe is his name.  My God, the only true and living God is alive in Heaven.  Their never raised anyone from the dead and ascended them into Heaven.  Their god did not create heaven and earth, my God did.  They reference God, they just get confused as to who he is.

But the LORD is the true God, he is the living God, and an everlasting king: at his wrath the earth shall tremble, and the nations shall not be able to abide his indignation.

You didn't answer deus's question.  Let me put it very simply for you.

How do you know that the bible is "truth"?

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
« Reply #360 on: April 01, 2009, 08:34:50 AM »
As I have said before the musulim's god is dead in the ground.

And on what do you base that assertion?

allah, I believe is his name.

Do you know what "Allah" means?

My God, the only true and living God is alive in Heaven.  Their never raised anyone from the dead and ascended them into Heaven.  Their god did not create heaven and earth, my God did.  They reference God, they just get confused as to who he is.

A Muslim would say precisely the same about you (though with a surah from the Qur'an in place of Jer 10:10) so you're back at square one.

Your assertions without substance are becoming tiresome. I asked a direct question, to whit: And how do you evaluate the truth value of that, or do you simply assume that it is the "truth"? You have notably failed to address this question. Merely repeating scriptural quotes compounds the error, for it still begs the question. From what are you trying to hide? Would you please answer the question put to you, instead of acting like a dishonest politician and answering tangential questions of your own device instead? Are you simply a robot, who has nothing to say for themselves, but can only recite dogma?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 08:40:02 AM by Deus ex Machina »

Offline Truth

« Reply #361 on: April 01, 2009, 08:39:17 AM »
How do you know and egg is an egg?  It's the same thing.

I think I did answer his question.  Maybe you didn't like the answer, but I answered it.  If you have another question, let me know.

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
« Reply #362 on: April 01, 2009, 08:40:42 AM »

What? That makes no sense whatsoever.

I think I did answer his question.  Maybe you didn't like the answer, but I answered it.  If you have another question, let me know.

No, you did not. I asked how you evaluate the truth value of that (the Bible).

Offline dmnemaine

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #363 on: April 01, 2009, 08:53:25 AM »

An egg is an egg because "egg" is the word used in english to describe the female gamete.  

What you are implying is that you know that an egg is an egg because it's an egg.  It's called circular logic, and doesn't mean anything.

By the same token, the bible is true because the bible is true is the same type of tautological circular logic.  It doesn't mean anything.  

Since I was able to tell you why an egg is an egg without resorting to circular logic, you should be able to tell me why you believe that the bible is true without resorting to it either.

Offline Truth

« Reply #364 on: April 01, 2009, 08:54:58 AM »

What? That makes no sense whatsoever.

No, you did not. I asked how you evaluate the truth value of that (the Bible).

You question how do I know the bible is the truth makes no sense whatsoever.  My point exactly.

Offline Truth

« Reply #365 on: April 01, 2009, 09:05:22 AM »
As I have said before the musulim's god is dead in the ground.

Do you know what "Allah" means?

And how do you evaluate the truth value of that, or do you simply assume that it is the "truth"? a?

No i do not know what allah mean.  I guess you are going to tell me.

One of the main tenets of Christianity is faith.  We walk by faith and not by sight.  It is my faith in what I have read, and things that I have experienced in my life that align themselves to the principles in the bible on which I evaluate the truth value.  In the Bible, there were many prophesies, mostly about the coming of Jesus and the prophesies were fulfilled.  Thus giving credibility to the scriptures.  Then in my own life, I have had personal experiences with God that further give credence to that the word of God is true and that God is alive.

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
« Reply #366 on: April 01, 2009, 09:09:12 AM »
Quote from: Truth
mostly about the coming of Jesus and the prophesies were fulfilled.

No, they weren't.  I've already addressed this twice.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=5311.msg118028#msg118028
"The Bible is a Banquet table not a snack tray!" - Anonymous Facebook User

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #367 on: April 01, 2009, 09:10:48 AM »
The difference in the writing of smart people writing for secular magazines and newspapers are that their words are not for the most part God inspired (or at least they don't claim it).

And you don't know that, neither do we need to know that using your logic.  We only need to claim as a presumed basis that they are gods word inspired through others.

I am sure some of them are Christians and God gives them wisdom to write on various topics.  The scriptures were all inspired by God. So this is why everything that secular people write is not necessarily true.

The enquirer magazine is all inspired by god. It is the word of god and always true.

See? I can be as stupid and intellectually dishonest as you.  All we need to do is sacrifice all inquiry, all knowledge, and all truth for the sake of a delusion.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #368 on: April 01, 2009, 09:16:13 AM »

One of the main tenets of Christianity is faith.  We walk by faith and not by sight.  It is my faith in what I have read, and things that I have experienced in my life that align themselves to the principles in the bible on which I evaluate the truth value.

A muslim can claim the exact same thing.  All that is required is a delusional and illogical belief in a presuppositional claim.

In the Bible, there were many prophesies, mostly about the coming of Jesus and the prophesies were fulfilled.

False.  Most christian messianic prophecies actually have nothing to do with the large majority of judaic messianic prophecies.  Christian messianic prophecy relies more upon ambiguous statements and obvious mistranslations for the purpose of writing prophecy into history after the fact rather then actually providing enough information to call it 'prophecy'.

Just like christian eschatology is in its entirety completely devoid of jewish eschatology, which is in the same bible.  Christians just ignore where prophecy is not fulfilled and check it off to the 'second coming' which also isn't in the bible.

Thus giving credibility to the scriptures.  Then in my own life, I have had personal experiences with God that further give credence to that the word of God is true and that God is alive.

Your experiences are not adequate to anyone else but you.  They are also inadequate to yourself, since you demonstrate know ability to know how they are true in the first place.  You don't actually know or even have the capability to know that your 'experiences' are as you conclude.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline Truth

« Reply #369 on: April 01, 2009, 09:29:07 AM »

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=5311.msg118028#msg118028

You say they weren't, I say they were.  I have written proof that they were.  My Bible outlines the prophecies and the scriptures that demonstrate they were fufilled.  I won't put them all up on this post, but if you email, I will give you a list of them.  I say they were fulfilled.  Are you Jewish?  Doesn't sound like you know much about that religion.

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
« Reply #370 on: April 01, 2009, 09:30:41 AM »
You question how do I know the bible is the truth makes no sense whatsoever.  My point exactly.

Non sequitur. An egg is an egg because that's what we collectively define "egg" to mean. However, no book gets defined as "true" by fiat; that's not how it works. Things aren't true merely by virtue of the fact that someone carved or inscribed them on a bunch of scrolls, dried leaves, papyri, tablets of clay or stone, temple walls or any other media that were eventually collected together to form what we'd today call "sacred writings". You may claim that it's true, but if you're going to make such a claim, then you need to be able to consider your audience and be prepared to substantiate it. Otherwise, on what possible grounds would you expect anyone to treat such a claim with anything other than derision and contempt? On the face of it, your Bible is just as indistinguishable from bullshit as any other collection of works.

Not unless you want me too, but you can look it up. Again, I note that you didn't answer: on what do you base that assertion (that the Muslims' god is "dead in the ground")?

One of the main tenets of Christianity is faith.

Why do you think that is?

We walk by faith and not by sight.

That much is clear to those of us who can see. :D

It is my faith in what I have read, and things that I have experienced in my life that align themselves to the principles in the bible on which I evaluate the truth value.

The problem with that is that the Bible is a large collection of works, full of an assortment of passages and whose meanings are sufficiently vague or nebulous that people can validate just about any of their own preconceptions and declare that they "align themselves to the principles in the bible" (sic). And declaring "faith in what {you} have read" would appear to be essentially an admission that you do assume the Bible to be true from the outset - thus negating your ability to take a step back, think outside the box for a moment and consider: is it really true? how would I tell if it weren't? It's this inability that makes you a slave - not to any deity or truth or grand ideal, but to a dogma.

In the Bible, there were many prophesies, mostly about the coming of Jesus and the prophesies were fulfilled.  Thus giving credibility to the scriptures.

Actually that's far from clear (especially if you ask the Jews what they think about how the verses of their sacred texts were twisted out of all recognition, and I'm still awaiting a sensible explanation of why the city of Tyre still exists, in defiance of Biblical prophecy for millennia), but that's a topic for another thread, perhaps.

Then in my own life, I have had personal experiences with God that further give credence to that the word of God is true and that God is alive.

Personal experiences are two a penny, and have been (and still are) ascribed to all sorts of "divine" or "spiritual" entities: gods, spirits, ancestors and so on. None of these establish the truth of any specific belief-system. If they did, don't you think everyone who experienced such phenomena would come to the same set of conclusions?

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #371 on: April 01, 2009, 09:34:15 AM »

You say they weren't, I say they were.  I have written proof that they were.  My Bible outlines the prophecies and the scriptures that demonstrate they were fufilled.  I won't put them all up on this post, but if you email, I will give you a list of them.  I say they were fulfilled.  Are you Jewish?  Doesn't sound like you know much about that religion.

By that standard I can give you written proof that Nostradamus' prophecies were fulfilled, so are you going to worship him as a prophet of God?
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #372 on: April 01, 2009, 09:37:30 AM »
I have written proof that they were.

Your claims of 'proof' do not actually meet the standard requirements of what is considered 'proof'.  You obviously do not have proof in any context that someone uses the word 'proof'.

Definitions of proof on the Web:

* any factual evidence that helps to establish the truth of something; "if you have any proof for what you say, now is the time to produce it"

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
« Reply #373 on: April 01, 2009, 09:37:50 AM »

Did you click on the link in my intitial post to you?  I referenced a Jewish website.  You know, the ones who's Messiah the prophecies are about.  If I am going to inquire about Jewish Messiah prophecies, I am not going to ask a Christian.  

Doesn't sound like you know much about that religion.
What I know is irrelevant when you consider that I offered a review of the prophecies from a Jews for Judaism website. 

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 09:46:42 AM by Dkit »
"The Bible is a Banquet table not a snack tray!" - Anonymous Facebook User

Offline Truth

« Reply #374 on: April 01, 2009, 10:11:18 AM »

Non sequitur. An egg is an egg because that's what we collectively define "egg" to mean. However, no book gets defined as "true" by fiat; that's not how it works. Things aren't true merely by virtue of the fact that someone carved or inscribed them on a bunch of scrolls, dried leaves, papyri, tablets of clay or stone, temple walls or any other media that were eventually collected together to form what we'd today call "sacred writings". You may claim that it's true, but if you're going to make such a claim, then you need to be able to consider your audience and be prepared to substantiate it. Otherwise, on what possible grounds would you expect anyone to treat such a claim with anything other than derision and contempt? On the face of it, your Bible is just as indistinguishable from bulls**t as any other collection of works.

Based on your logic.  The Bible is the true word of God because that what we collectively (in the Christian community) define it to mean.  You say that's not how it works.  Why not?  Who told you an egg was an egg? 

I will address your other concerns later, let's just deal with this one first. 

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
« Reply #375 on: April 01, 2009, 10:23:11 AM »
Based on your logic.  The Bible is the true word of God because that what we collectively (in the Christian community) define it to mean.

Sorry, your piddly collection of bibliolatrous malcontents and misfits doesn't get to redefine the English language like that. You do not own the language.

Please try again.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:25:32 AM by Deus ex Machina »

Offline Truth

« Reply #376 on: April 01, 2009, 10:33:20 AM »
I convinced that you will refute all of my claims, no matter how much "evidence" I give you.  It's a game you are playing with me.  I see through it.  If you are not playing, tell me what kind of evidence do you need?