Author Topic: The answer to the question why won't God Heal amputees?  (Read 18914 times)

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
Re: The answer to the question why won't God Heal amputees?
« Reply #145 on: March 23, 2009, 08:36:34 PM »

Your argument should be with God and not me.  I do not send anyone to hell.  I, like God, do not wish anyone perish.  I wish that all will be saved.  But God did give us free will and we have to make that choice.  No matter how you feel God loves you and it's not too late to turn to him. 

I'm tired of "free will" coming from so many posts of Christians. Please show me "free will" in the bible. If you can't, stop using the phrase.
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline Truth

« Reply #146 on: March 23, 2009, 08:51:09 PM »

Joshua 24:15   
And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

The use of the word choose here shows us that God gives us free will.  He will not choose for us.  We have to choose for ourselves.

Good question. 
Passage 2 Corinthians 10:4:

(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #147 on: March 23, 2009, 09:09:12 PM »
Oh right correction Mark 16:15

I know it's hard for you to understand.  I will pray and ask God to reveal his knowledge and wisdom to you in the name of Jesus. 

I take this dodge to mean that Truth doesn't trust God to save him if he drinks a deadly poison.
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
  • non-cdesign-proponentsist
« Reply #148 on: March 23, 2009, 09:11:25 PM »

I know it's hard for you to understand.  I will pray and ask God to reveal his knowledge and wisdom to you in the name of Jesus. 

I take this dodge to mean that Truth doesn't trust God to save him if he drinks a deadly poison.

Yeah, no-one's taken my Cillit Bang Pound-A-Pint Challenge yet.

(Unless all those drive-bys aren't really drive-bys, but did take up the challenge, and haven't been able to report back... ugh, that would be a terrible thing to have on one's conscience.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 09:14:28 PM by Deus ex Machina »
No day in which you learn something is wasted.

Offline Jeeves

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2009, 09:12:15 PM »

Actually there are people who do this as a worship practice. I don't know their denomination, most of us in the south just call them snake handlers.
You can't fail forever.

Offline ksm

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2009, 09:13:15 PM »

The reason you should not serve those other gods is because they do not offer the gift of eternal life.  The have never raised a dead man from the grave and ascended him to heaven. 

Your telling me that Egyptian gods (Ra and Horus) don't offer the gift of eternal life?

Seriously? Ever noticed those things called the Pyramids? The entire ancient Egyptian culture seemed to be based on preparing for the afterlife.

Osiris, the father of Horus was resurrected from the dead.

So clearly, you don't know what you are talking about. I suggest you educate yourself, or you will run the risk of appearing to be stupid.

Offline Jeeves

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2009, 09:17:13 PM »

The reason you should not serve those other gods is because they do not offer the gift of eternal life.  The have never raised a dead man from the grave and ascended him to heaven. 

Your telling me that Egyptian gods (Ra and Horus) don't offer the gift of eternal life?

Seriously? Ever noticed those things called the Pyramids? The entire ancient Egyptian culture seemed to be based on preparing for the afterlife.

Osiris, the father of Horus was resurrected from the dead.

So clearly, you don't know what you are talking about. I suggest you educate yourself, or you will run the risk of appearing to be stupid.

Anyone that believes appears to be stupid to you. What's your point?
You can't fail forever.

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2009, 09:25:18 PM »

Actually there are people who do this as a worship practice. I don't know their denomination, most of us in the south just call them snake handlers.

Yeah, I'm aware of them.  They are Pentacostles in Tennessee and Kentucky, mostly.  They may be crazy, but you have to admire them.  They've got the guts to put their faith to the test.
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline ksm

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2009, 09:28:02 PM »

Where did I say that?

(Seriously, I would like to know).

Offline Jeeves

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #154 on: March 23, 2009, 09:33:18 PM »

Where did I say that?

I based it on what you just said. In my opinion anyone that tells another to "educate themselves... or they'll appear to be stupid" in the context of talking about pagan religions would think that.

That was probably out of frustration, I'm sorry.
You can't fail forever.

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #155 on: March 23, 2009, 09:52:23 PM »

Joshua 24:15   
And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

The use of the word choose here shows us that God gives us free will.  He will not choose for us.  We have to choose for ourselves.

Good question. 

Continued here.

Offline ksm

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2009, 09:56:42 PM »

Where did I say that?

I based it on what you just said. In my opinion anyone that tells another to "educate themselves... or they'll appear to be stupid" in the context of talking about pagan religions would think that.

That was probably out of frustration, I'm sorry.

That's ok. I was trying to give advice, and it may appear to be roughly given.

No one wants to appear to be stupid, I assume. Truth was making a statement that was False. A tiny bit of research would have shown that the statement was not True.

Offline Truth

« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »

Yeah, no-one's taken my Cillit Bang Pound-A-Pint Challenge yet.

(Unless all those drive-bys aren't really drive-bys, but did take up the challenge, and haven't been able to report back... ugh, that would be a terrible thing to have on one's conscience.)

Your challenge is similar to the situation Jesus was in when he had been in the desert for 40 days.  The devil came and tried to tempt him saying if he was God then he should be able to do thus and so.  He tried this three times.  In each case, Jesus resisted and told the testament that they should not tempt the Lord God.  So I say to you thou shall not tempt the Lord God.  Every knee shall bow at the name of Jesus. 

(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #158 on: March 23, 2009, 10:44:58 PM »
Dodgeball is the offical sport of Christianity!

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +272/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #159 on: March 23, 2009, 10:57:34 PM »
So I say to you thou shall not tempt the Lord God.

Now why would *we* want to tempt someone/something in which we don't believe?

But it raises an interesting question about prayer.  What, indeed is its purpose if not to attempt to influence your god in some way?

And why was it okay to test your god in the Old Testament?  What changed, and how do you reconcile this with the concept of an unchanging god?

Every knee shall bow at the name of Jesus.

Quite frankly, I doubt that very, very much.  Just because it says so in your storybook doesn't make it true.  (That'll be one talking snake, please, delivered prepaid to my place. ;D)
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Truth

« Reply #160 on: March 23, 2009, 11:09:52 PM »
It's not what I said, it's what God said.  And you will see one day. 

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #161 on: March 23, 2009, 11:26:42 PM »
It's not what I said, it's what God said.  And you will see one day. 

Truth is down to making vague threats...  &)
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Truth

« Reply #162 on: March 23, 2009, 11:53:22 PM »
When God says something, it is not a threat, its a promise.  And what I saying that God said was that every knee shall bow at the name of Jesus.  I just mean that that will happen.

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2009, 12:03:45 AM »
When God says something, it is not a threat, its a promise.  And what I saying that God said was that every knee shall bow at the name of Jesus.  I just mean that that will happen.

I don't expect it will.  You've not given me any reason to believe your claims, so I guess I won't worry about it.

Offline Jeeves

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2009, 12:30:37 AM »

I don't expect it will.  You've not given me any reason to believe your claims, so I guess I won't worry about it.

What reason would you like?
You can't fail forever.

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2009, 03:23:28 AM »
Your challenge is similar to the situation Jesus was in when he had been in the desert for 40 days.  The devil came and tried to tempt him saying if he was God then he should be able to do thus and so.  He tried this three times.  In each case, Jesus resisted and told the testament that they should not tempt the Lord God.  So I say to you thou shall not tempt the Lord God.  Every knee shall bow at the name of Jesus. 

This is handwaving. You claim that Mk 16:15 applies to you. If so, then Mk 16:18 also applies to you. Your mealy-mouthed mantras are a thought-terminator. When pressed on a claim, you simply declare the notion out of the scope of testability. In short, you've got nothing - no grounds by which anyone should take any claims you make remotely seriously. Your statements are no better than those of a loony conspiracy-theorist.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2009, 05:40:53 AM »
He's demonstrated he's too ignorant to understand the statement you made.

Is this the best god could send?
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2009, 07:10:12 AM »
Is this the best god could send?

I think Jehovah has given up on us. He simply does not care enough to send us his heaviest hitters.

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2009, 09:57:05 AM »

What reason would you like?

Something believable would be a good start.

Offline Truth

« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2009, 11:47:24 PM »
You can believe every word that is in the Bible.  Does that mean you have to do every word that is in the bible?  No. not at all.  God wants us to love him with all our hearts and with all our souls. 

Offline ksm

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2009, 11:51:07 PM »
You can believe every word that is in the Bible.  Does that mean you have to do every word that is in the bible?  No. not at all.  God wants us to love him with all our hearts and with all our souls. 

I imagine the bits where gods says "do this" you are supposed to do?

Or are you just making it up as you go?

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #171 on: March 25, 2009, 12:16:16 AM »

Ha!  Maybe you can believe every word in it, but I don't know how you could.  Unless you have some ulterior motive for suspending disbelief long enough to choke that load of codswallop down.  Aside from a few references to a few real people, I have yet to have found anything about the bible that bears any resemblance to credible.

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
« Reply #172 on: March 25, 2009, 05:02:37 AM »
You can believe every word that is in the Bible.

Alas, my brain does not appear to be wired in such a way that I can believe things that are manifestly absurd.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2009, 09:01:17 AM »

So, beyond a bare assertion that you are right, you've got nothing?
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer