Author Topic: From Muslim to Atheist…  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Kodanshi

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Let’s start the Party!
    • Rascaduanok
From Muslim to Atheist…
« on: March 17, 2009, 03:01:30 PM »
Hello there folks! Last year, in January of 2008 on the 1st of Muharram 1429 AH — the start of the new year according to the Islamic calendar, I announced online my apostasy from Islâm. I went onto my favourite muslim forum (mainly due to some of the posters there), Ummah.com, and announced I had turned murtad.

I simply don’t believe. Not only in Islam as a divinely–sanctioned religion, but in divinity altogether. I have read too much, seen too much the manmade origins of each religion, felt no divine presence throughout my life, seen the way nature doesn’t need a conscious guiding hand… I have seen and felt all this too much to give any credence to commonly–held notions of Divinity and Theism.

Some of the members there expressed sadness and shock, others incandescent rage and sneering hostility — and most of the latter came when I pointed out that the founder of Islam, Muhammad, sanctioned the death of apostates from Islâm. At that point people acted as though I’d ‘done a Rushdie’ and one of the moderators closed my thread quicksmart. It interests me that the ultimate act of betrayal and evil (I had announced I do not believe in allah) met with some shocked reactions, but only when I mentioned Muhammad did the moderator close my thread. Odd, that, don’t you think?

I don’t regret leaving Islâm. It has, however, left me with some flaws and old habits, though I consciously try to change them. A chap on another forum tasked me with a list of actions I should complete in order to continue moving on in my life, eg. making a pot of chili and eating it, watching the sun rise, and suchlike. None of it far removed from the way I’ve lived my life normally — but I suppose working through the list would provide me with something specific to look forward to and even push me out of my comfort zone (one of the items involves telling an attractive stranger on the street that I think she looks beautiful).

It feels a bit more like… maturity. Putting away the childish thoughts of god making everything ok and stepping up to take responsibility for my own actions. Scary, but necessary for true growth.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
Re: From Muslim to Atheist…
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 03:12:55 PM »
I simply don’t believe. Not only in Islam as a divinely–sanctioned religion, but in divinity altogether. I have read too much, seen too much the manmade origins of each religion, felt no divine presence throughout my life, seen the way nature doesn’t need a conscious guiding hand… I have seen and felt all this too much to give any credence to commonly–held notions of Divinity and Theism.

Wow, that is an absolutely beautiful statement.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +644/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:17:15 PM »
Congratualtions.

Welcome to the most hated and distrusted minority in the world.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline theeOriginalSomeGirl

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 07:07:18 PM »
Congratualtions.

O come on, stop acting so mean.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 07:07:49 PM »
Btw, welcome.

Where are ya from?

Offline Kodanshi

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Let’s start the Party!
    • Rascaduanok
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
All over! Father from India (but a muslim, pre–Partition), mother from Pakistan, born in Scotland, living in England :D

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 07:19:12 PM »
Hey i'm kinda similar.
Born in afghanistan, 2 years in pakistan, now in u.s for the past two years, and probably for a long time.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 11:44:21 PM »
Hello and welcome Kodanshi  :D [wave]

I read your post and it was spectacular... glad to have you here.

Congratualtions.

Sad... but we are.  Only out of misinformation and lies.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +644/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 11:16:04 AM »
Congratualtions.

How do you figure I am being mean?  As an atheist I know first hand how the religious treat us.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 11:22:17 AM »
Congratualtions.

Atheist in the united states are one of the most hated and distrusted minorities.  Albeit, thats not far from how muslims are viewed in the US.

I'm willing to bet apostates from Islam are viewed with more suspicion and hatred then even atheist in islam however, I mean they get a death sentence and we do not.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline Kodanshi

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Let’s start the Party!
    • Rascaduanok
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 11:42:02 AM »
Aye. I posted about my experiences on a Christian forum and received a tirade of abuse from a Christian there. He called me treacherous and arrogant, said he would rather side with muslims than atheists, etc. I called him on it, asking if he would see me as treacherous, a betrayer, arrogant, etc. if I had converted to Christianity instead. Around 16 pages and a few months later (thread still going strong) and no response from him…

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • 1st an infidel, then a heretic, now an atheist!
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 12:34:40 PM »
From his point of view, you, as a muslim, were at least worshiping "the god of abraham" -- albeit in an incorrect manner because of demonic influence. In other words, "your heart was in the right place", and you were "searching for god". To become an atheist is to renounce belief in abraham's god. From his perspective, that's worse than being a muslim.   :-\

Offline Kodanshi

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Let’s start the Party!
    • Rascaduanok
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 02:26:16 PM »
I kind of gathered that from his post. I can link you to my response to him, where I also quote his post and respond to it. Why not check it out? ;) And yes, I call myself Rascaduanok on that forum.

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
  • non-cdesign-proponentsist
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 04:55:23 PM »
All over! Father from India (but a muslim, pre–Partition), mother from Pakistan, born in Scotland, living in England :D

Hi Kodanshi, good to see another Brit here! Whereabouts in England? Have you checked out these folks? (EDIT: site appears to be down, alas, but I see from another thread that you have.)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 04:58:42 PM by Deus ex Machina »
No day in which you learn something is wasted.

Offline Kodanshi

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Let’s start the Party!
    • Rascaduanok
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 04:59:31 PM »
You’ve got the wrong site, that’s why. I know which one you mean: the council of ex–muslims of Britain, which you can find here. I already post there and have done for quite a while :D

I live in Yorkshire, but I don’t feel comfortable pinpointing my exact location, hope you understand!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 05:01:15 PM by Kodanshi »

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
  • non-cdesign-proponentsist
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 05:05:36 PM »
You’ve got the wrong site, that’s why. I know which one you mean: the council of ex–muslims of Britain, which you can find here. I already post there and have done for quite a while :D

That's the international website if I'm not mistaken - CEMB also had their own, which is the URL I gave - or at least it was until a few weeks ago. I have the CEMB website bookmarked and it's also in Google, so I didn't make up that URL, honest! :)

I live in Yorkshire, but I don’t feel comfortable pinpointing my exact location, hope you understand!

Perfectly understandable. Have you 'come out' IRL and if so, has that caused any difficulties for you?
No day in which you learn something is wasted.

Offline Kodanshi

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Let’s start the Party!
    • Rascaduanok
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 05:39:07 PM »
Not to my parents, because I… well I simply can’t. I’ve caused them too much grief in their lifetime anyway, but my sisters and friends know.

I didn’t realise that CoEM had a national website, hmmm!

Offline iliveanddie

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • "Helidog, reporting for duty!"
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 02:01:10 AM »
Congratulations and welcome, Kodanshi!  I think you'll fit in quite well here.  Out of curiosity, were there any questions or facts that caused you to question or leave your religion?
"Candy.  Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy."
     -Toki Wartooth (Metalocalypse)

My email to GllVideos.

Offline Kodanshi

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Let’s start the Party!
    • Rascaduanok
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 01:17:18 PM »
A lot. It came as a slow and gradual process. I would tie myself in knots trying to answer questions about Islâm, and when I asked experts (scholars and imâms), I got a lot of clever rhetoric, but no real answers. Mostly politician–style dodges. Something didn’t feel quite right, and eventually I managed the courage and strength of conviction to cast a critical eye over Islâm and my understanding of it, something I’d done with Judaism and Christianity previously, but not with my own (erstwhile) religion.

Offline subtleinspiration

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 02:43:36 PM »
A lot. It came as a slow and gradual process. I would tie myself in knots trying to answer questions about Islâm, and when I asked experts (scholars and imâms), I got a lot of clever rhetoric, but no real answers. Mostly politician–style dodges. Something didn’t feel quite right, and eventually I managed the courage and strength of conviction to cast a critical eye over Islâm and my understanding of it, something I’d done with Judaism and Christianity previously, but not with my own (erstwhile) religion.

Kodanshi, I know that I, and probably a lot of us here, can sympathize with that experience.

Welcome!
"As a God fearing Christian,  you should never ever date an Atheist. One night alone with an atheist is enough for you to lose your faith and to be converted into one of the spiritually dead."

Offline politechristian

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 03:53:23 PM »
I dont believe in Allah either. He sounds like a mean god to me.

I believe Jesus is God, he sounds very loving to me.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +644/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »

I believe Jesus is God, he sounds very loving to me.

Not so.  Yhwh of the OT is a mean sonofabitch.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline politechristian

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 05:23:17 PM »
Who are you to judge God?

Does a piece of clay get to say to the potter, "your doing it wrong"

or does the potter mould the clay however pleases him.

your arrogance blows me away

Offline Crocoduck

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Nothing Fails Like Prayer.
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 05:31:45 PM »
Who are you to judge God?

?
atheism is not a religion... it is a personal relationship with reality.
V00d00Sixxx Youtube Channel

Offline politechristian

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 06:07:34 PM »
I meant to say I dont believe that Allah is the real God, I don't believe God is good.

I believe God is loving, compassionate, merciful and justice.

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 06:21:08 PM »
politechristian,

This is the Testimonials section. I suggest you read the board FAQ before making another post in it.

From the Testimonials FAQ:

"Evangelism and attempts at inquisition or cross-examination are not permitted on this board. If you wish to dissent or debate a particular point raised in a testimony, you are welcome to create a new thread in an appropriate Religious Discussion Zone board for this purpose. Offending posts will be subject to Moderator Edits and/or Disciplinary Action where applicable."

Thirteen
Inactive moderator account.

Offline Eschaton

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 04:24:16 AM »
Dear Kodanshi,

The ranks of Oriental infidels here grows daily balooning to the size of a full battalion. 'Tis pleasant to have another fellow join our camp of ex-Mohammedens. No doubt we shall be crossing swords in the future and not a few jugs of beer finely brewed.

A Pleasure to make your acquaintance.
It is an absurdity to believe that the Deity has human passions, and one of the lowest of human passions, a restless appetite for applause.

David Hume

Offline Operator_A25

• Reader
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 12:15:47 AM »
Kodanshi,

Welcome and congratulations.  It takes great courage and thought to make this change in yourself.  You should be proud of this achievement, but, as others have already said, you are now despised by a great many people.  But, I don't think that will really make much of a difference, since no matter what religion you choose you will be despised by others from a different sect within your religion or others a competing religion.
Former Global Moderator Account

Offline Kodanshi

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Let’s start the Party!
    • Rascaduanok
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 02:34:28 PM »
Aye, I can understand that. I don’t care about people despising me… It simply bothers me when people can actually consider it right to murder me because of it (not just some muslims, but stormfront type folks too, etc). At any rate, I couldn’t lie to myself and say I believed when I simply don’t!

Thanks for your support folks!