Author Topic: JOIN US GII JOIN US GII JOIN US GII JOIN US GII [#1103]  (Read 1118 times)

Offline DL

Offline Sebine

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Because it's funny is as good a reason as any.
Re: JOIN US GII JOIN US GII JOIN US GII JOIN US GII [#1103]
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 08:16:58 AM »
*stalks*
Admin1 is about as intelligent as your average fundie.

Offline xTigerx

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWFSMD?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:57:20 AM »

srsly, join us

http://leagueofreason.forums-free.com/

I'm a lurker over at that forum.  Might join soon.
God, if you're real, show yourself.  ...still waiting...

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 10:54:13 AM »
I've checked it out every once in a while.  I may join in the near future just to get a sense of the atmosphere.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 11:59:26 AM »
I am a big fan of merging forums with other atheist groups.  I think this should be a BIG part of what the staff here do.  However, let's look at the facts.  First off, WDGHA has a video that is the second-most commented video on Youtube.  That is a BIG draw and a consistent source of fresh members.  We also have a full-length online book and a premise that naturally draws people.  What does their forum have, content-wise, to match that?  Secondly, this forum has several fairly high-profile references, including, as I recall, a mention in a Dawkins book and a Harris book.  That sort of thing is worth a lot.  Thirdly, at a glance, it appears their forum is substantially smaller than ours.  I think it is reasonable to suggest that the smaller merge into the larger.  But perhaps I'm missing something and maybe someone from that forum would care to come here and explain to us why we should join them rather than the other way around, in more convincing terms than "srsly".  I'd also like to suggest that, should they choose to emigrate to our our forum, perhaps we could offer a member of theirs a staff position here, and perhaps they could have a child board or a full board, where the members from there could remain as a community.  Also, what about possibly migrating some of their better threads to here as well?

Also, perhaps we could start a little fund by members here to pay for their hosting at their site.  In exchange, their members would join here, and they would close posting on their forum, but maintain it as a back-up, and change their front page to a redirect to here, that way, their marketing efforts could still pay off.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 05:58:50 PM by Davedave »

Offline Sebine

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 02:31:55 PM »

srsly, join us

http://leagueofreason.forums-free.com/

I'm a lurker over at that forum.  Might join soon.

Im Sebine over there too ^_^

Offline Ashe

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-1
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 05:51:10 PM »
What Davedave said.

That said, I joined that forum recently and I do like the discussion that goes on there. It would be cool to see some of that over here.
2 miles!
"All men(humans )were demon possed and were planning to attack God. Just like if you talk back to your parents." - Failbag quote

Offline Sebine

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
What Davedave said.

That said, I joined that forum recently and I do like the discussion that goes on there. It would be cool to see some of that over here.

only ment for the message to go to one person

not a forum

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 11:03:08 PM »
I will set up an embassy at your forum in the late spring.

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Tails_155

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • L!5
    • The Enigma Puzzle
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 01:10:24 AM »
I'm already an embassy constructor, but you're welcome to join me in staffing said embassy, Pony :P
Live! Learn! Laugh! Love! Lead!

I'm not all analysis, I like art, too: See?

Offline realdemocracy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 01:58:34 AM »
I don't know enough about the programming aspects to know how difficult it would be to make Davedave's suggestion a reality, but if it would not be too difficult, it sounds like a great solution.  I have read others here mentioning some other forums as well that would be great to merge with this one.  It would be great to combine these various communities into one larger community without removing any of the existing avenues for people to find their way to a rational discussion of these topics.  However, joining another forum is out of the question for me.  I barely have enough time to check in here two or three times a week lately. 

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 06:34:58 AM »
I don't know enough about the programming aspects to know how difficult it would be to make Davedave's suggestion a reality, but if it would not be too difficult, it sounds like a great solution.  I have read others here mentioning some other forums as well that would be great to merge with this one.  It would be great to combine these various communities into one larger community without removing any of the existing avenues for people to find their way to a rational discussion of these topics.  However, joining another forum is out of the question for me.  I barely have enough time to check in here two or three times a week lately. 

It would be a technical nightmare - even if the boards in question were running the same versions of the same software, you'd have unique keys to posts and threads and user profiles that wouldn't translate to any "merged" solution. Not to mention duplicated usernames on different forums and the like.

Also, by the argument proposed here, we should simply shut up shop and redirect everyone to the Secular Web. You game?
Inactive moderator account.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 07:38:55 AM »
I'm already an embassy constructor, but you're welcome to join me in staffing said embassy, Pony :P

Ambassador Pony.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Tails_155

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • L!5
    • The Enigma Puzzle
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 12:39:46 PM »
Ambassador Fox :P

they could be sistered, BotAttack, LoR, WWGHA?, and maybe even RD.net XD
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 12:43:16 PM by Tails_155 »

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 11:57:09 AM »
I don't know enough about the programming aspects to know how difficult it would be to make Davedave's suggestion a reality, but if it would not be too difficult, it sounds like a great solution.  I have read others here mentioning some other forums as well that would be great to merge with this one.  It would be great to combine these various communities into one larger community without removing any of the existing avenues for people to find their way to a rational discussion of these topics.

I think I was unclear about my meaning.  By "merging forums", I did not actually mean try to import all of their posts and members.  I meant that we should invite them here and have them shut down their forum.  I suggested, as an aside, that if they had some particular threads they wanted to move over here, we could look at that.  I have done it manually for a four-page thread here.  Getting the links right took me the better part of a day, but that's only because it was important to me to have the links operating.  I could have transferred just the text over in a couple of hours.  If it is easy and possible to incorporate their forum data, then by all means, but it is hardly the central idea of merging the forums.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 12:04:01 PM »
Also, by the argument proposed here, we should simply shut up shop and redirect everyone to the Secular Web. You game?

Wow.  Are my ears burning?  You can feel free to direct responses to my posts to me, Mod13.  It's not like I'm going to block your PMs or anything.

I've never heard of Secular Web, so obviously there's a factual issue about whether they are more well-known than we are.  The parameters I set earlier, I think, are reasonable ones.  Maybe we should look at joining en masse a larger forum.  More relevantly, though, if we started to merge ourselves with other smaller forums, we would increase our size and perhaps become the one that Secular Web merges into.  Why not just start merging with forums we find as it becomes possible and if someone comes to us to propose a merge, we can take it under consideration?

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 12:12:33 PM »
{...}

I have no interest in discussing anything with you. Your bully-boy tactics of argumentation fail to impress, coerce or persuade me, and since I don't have to listen to them, I choose not to. :)
Inactive moderator account.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 12:14:52 PM »
Obviously, that's a lie.  Choosing to respond to my posts in the third person is no less a discussion.  It just shows passive-aggression.

Offline Tails_155

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • L!5
    • The Enigma Puzzle
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 12:42:55 PM »
I dunno that closing down other fora is quite the right idea, especially since that forum was also established by a well-known YouTuber... plus it's a little more broad in concept than this board

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 12:44:42 PM »
That's why we discuss it.

Offline Inactive_A

• Reader
  • Darwins +5/-3
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 04:40:17 PM »
We do not encourage shutting down, taking over, or stealing members from other forums.

The WWGHA forums were designed primarily as a construct by which members could discuss the ideas contained in the book on the mainsite.  There are many tertiary arguments and discussions that can be made on said content.  This is also encouraged.  For those who wish to see this site flourish and attract members from other areas of the internet, the way to do that is by having superior content, not by attempting to merge and steal ideas from outside sources.

To the author of the Email: You are welcome to come and join our forum.

Thank you,
AdminA

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 04:44:20 PM »
Well, that's that.  This is Sparta.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +276/-31
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 04:46:17 PM »
And that, over there, is Lesbos.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 04:53:48 PM »
Yes, but they fail to recognize the primacy of our book...