Author Topic: ATTN: Fred Phelps protest in Buffalo on Sunday; group is being formed to counter  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
I'm sure most of you know who Fred Phelps is. I am also sure most of you know about the plane crash in Clarence last week. The WBC is said to be protesting a memorial service for the victims this sunday. There is going to be a group of counter protesters. I encourage everyone in the Buffalo NY area to come out and take part in this counter protest. This counter protest is not a religious service. There might be people with 'Jesus is Love' signs or something like that, but the goal is to allow those who are praying for the victims to pray in piece. This is for the 49 men and women who died tragically on Flight 3407 and the man who died in his home on Long Street.

Information:
Date: 2/22/09
Time: 10:00a-10:45a
Church: Zion Lutheran Church

They are also supposedly going to protest at 1:45 at the St. Joes Catholic Church.

Information:
Date 2/22/09
Time: 1:45-2:30
Church: St. Joes Catholic Church

Western New York, lets stand up together and fight these people. Not with our fists but with our voices. We need this group to know that you don't come to Buffalo without expecting a fight. For those in the area, stand up and be proud to be part of the loving community of Buffalo and all of Western NY. It was a tragic accident that happened last week and it must not be laughed at or ridiculed, like the WBC plans to do.

Thank You,

Emily

EDIT on 2/21/2009:

I have been told that there is also a group being formed that wishes to, and I quote, "fuck these guys up". I implore you not to follow them. Our protest needs to be peaceful in order to be respected.
Thank You,

-Emily Brown
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 03:26:57 AM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
What a bunch of jackasses.
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
Didn't I have this talk with Sebster?  I believe I said something about someone, somewhere will say the plane crash was the passengers fault, or they were possessed, not "True Christians" or yadda yadda.  Seems I was right...
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
All I know is Phelps preaches "God Hates Fags"  yet his protests, at least this one, might not have had any "fags"  die. He just wants to be a demigod (since from what I've been told he doesn't attend the protests, it's his children and grandchildren) All I know is he is worthless, and he's something like 72 yrs old or something, and when he dies I think his whole 'church' is going to disband. Can't wait!

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline ddbish

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Ninja Dan
What will protesting a memorial service for plane crash victims achieve? What could their agenda possibly be with this event besides to insult the mourning families? WBC are NUTJOBS.  >:(

Offline rickymooston

Fred Phelps gets most of his publicity from his enemies.

He is an annoying guy with a church of 500 members.

The protest will annoy some people.

Other than that, it won't accomplish anything.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +270/-31
I second Ricky's comments.  These people are nobodies.  They should be treated as such.  Protests only give publicity in cases like this.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline BrainFoodLunch

Here's the thing; he wants you to counter-protest!

Pretty much what others have said in this thread already but I think that really sums it up nicely.
You do not want to make me an enemy on this website. This is your only warning.
-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
All I know is Phelps preaches "God Hates Fags"  yet his protests, at least this one, might not have had any "fags"  die. He just wants to be a demigod (since from what I've been told he doesn't attend the protests, it's his children and grandchildren) All I know is he is worthless, and he's something like 72 yrs old or something, and when he dies I think his whole 'church' is going to disband. Can't wait!

He and those like him have many websites, and they are not just against homosexuals. They are against the United States, and other countries. They are against people who are not his type of Christian and other religions etc., He, and his "Church" may have started with the "fags" aspect but they've gone beyond just that.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
Oh, damn. Did someone necromance this topic? Did I just respond to someone from 4+ months ago? I wish people would stop necromancing.

Idiots. If I had a gun, I'd shoot you people.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline BrainFoodLunch

Dude... take it easy... I've been on this forum less than 12 hours and you've already proclaimed your willingness to shoot people twice and break people's hands once.

It was me. I necromanced the the thread. I necromanced a thread in forum with one page of topics. God, am I ever sorry. Can you ever forgive me?

Hey look, here's how I can make it up to you; I have a gun! Why don't you just come to my house and shoot me with my own gun? Would that make you feel better?

Or you could just stop saying stupid things, that would probably work too...
-Nam

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
Here's the thing; he wants you to counter-protest!

Pretty much what others have said in this thread already but I think that really sums it up nicely.

I am well aware that he feeds on this kind of shit, but BRainFoodLunch, I'd like to show you this thread;
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=4538.0
I wrote that up afterwards.
During their second protest we chased them out in 5 minutes. While a counter-protest is what they really wanted, their protest got them nowhere but on the I90 back to Kansas.

It's one thing to counter-protest when they are protesting a school that is featuring The Laramie Project, but when you counter-protest at a memorial service for 50 people who died in a plane crash it's more of a means of support for the victims.

the WBC came back to Buffalo last month and probably only a dozen people counter-protested them (I was not included) compared to the probably 200+ people who turned out at the the Flight 3407 protest.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 02:54:41 PM by Emily »

Offline BrainFoodLunch

Oh no! Why did you post here, now Nam is gonna have to shoot both of us idiots!

:P

Thanks for the link, very happy to see that people are actually having a positive effect on this organization.

...and no one even had to get shot.
-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84

Dude... take it easy... I've been on this forum less than 12 hours and you've already proclaimed your willingness to shoot people twice and break people's hands once.

It was me. I necromanced the the thread. I necromanced a thread in forum with one page of topics. God, am I ever sorry. Can you ever forgive me?

Hey look, here's how I can make it up to you; I have a gun! Why don't you just come to my house and shoot me with my own gun? Would that make you feel better?

Or you could just stop saying stupid things, that would probably work too...

-Nam

Offline BrainFoodLunch

Alright, you might as well just not even give me the warning you've given. If I notice you or anyone else for that matter making posts that include calling names or threats of violence (as you've done several times already in my very short time here) I'm probably going to make a comment.

The fact is, this type of posting behavior (that seems to be your M.O.) is not very constructive. In fact it is quite counter-productive towards intelligent discussion. This whole "enemy" bullsh*t that you've chose to bring up is in exactly the same camp.

If you disagree with my view on these matters than I guess that makes us enemies. So be it. I have no problem being your "enemy" on the internet. I don't consider you to be my enemy however since the whole concept is incredibly trite.

edit: Just out of curiosity, what do you intend to do to me as your enemy? Shoot down my cogent arguments that don't include name calling or threats of violence? Good luck with that!
Anyways, anxiously awaiting your response. Although you should probably do it via PM so that the mods don't have to get involved in this little "war" you've deemed necassary to start.  &)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 07:04:20 PM by BrainFoodLunch »
-Nam

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +270/-31
This thread now makes me chuckle.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84

Me even more. This idiot is actually taking me seriously. I don't even take me seriously.

:P

-Nam

Offline BrainFoodLunch

Me too, those bastard Phelps people getting what they deserve really gave me a good guffaw!

edit:  &)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 02:11:08 AM by BrainFoodLunch »
-Nam

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +270/-31
Totally not what I meant.  I draw your attention to the word "now" in my post.

Offline BrainFoodLunch

Totally not what I meant.  I draw your attention to the word "now" in my post.

This forum needs a new rule; every time you say something sarcastic you must use the eye rolling smiley. This should hopefully avoid any further confusion. My previous post has been edited to reflect this.
-Nam

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Hi,

I would like to take the opportunity to remind forum members that comments on a thread should be related to the topic of the thread, and that - in keeping with the rules - soap-opera dramas will not be tolerated. While thread necromancy is generally frowned upon, in extremely low-traffic areas like this one it is not a serious matter of concern, and if forum members have an issue with it, we prefer that they alert us to such activity rather than posting in-thread, as that generally results in a downward spiral into hostilities.

In keeping with that, therefore:

Nam - Sure, BFL resurrected a dead thread. However, since this is a low-traffic area, that's hardly a capital offense. You are now trolling the thread, and talk of shooting people is highly inappropriate and veiled threats to new members "not to make an enemy of you" are beyond the Pale. This forum is not your personal playground. It is for all forum members - including ones who have only been here for twelve hours. Consider this a warning.

Thank you for your consideration.

Thirteen
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:03:25 AM by Moderator_013 »
Inactive moderator account.

Offline purplebutter

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • "Always be yourself, unless you suck." Joss Whedon
Threats like that, against a member of this forum, remind me of that one psychopath that was arrested years ago. He got riled by someone on-line, made a road trip to the guys home and burned it to the ground. Luckily the man got out of his house trailer alive.
(Not that the IP logging can help authorities find such people. Noooo. &) )

The Phelps family comprise the majority of the church membership.

This psychotic crew of Christ clowns made an appearance near my hometown a few years ago. Spitting as they slurred Veterans, cussing America and god. This during a straight fallen soldiers funeral, so that his wife and family had to hear the "God hates fag's!" drivel from across the street where this bunch of idiots had obtained a city permit to congregate.

So, this little old Veteran walking with a cane and in full dress uniform starts walking from his car toward the church. And he just happened to park in the Handicapped parking which was adjacent to the Phelps screamers. As he passed old dog Phelps himself steps right in front of the little gentleman and starts his god hates rhetoric. To which the little old fella hauled back with a text book right hook and nail's Fred square in the face. Knocking him cold as a fish.
The little old man turns and walks away, never saying a word. While the cop's watching the whole thing smiled slightly and then just happened to be distracted by the rest of the Phelps clan who, after falling silent as the tomb right after the hit, started their screaming once more.

It was a sight to behold. Cold Fred!
Nice start. :)

Edit to add: Gotta love the Phelps clan giving advance notice of their picket schedule. I don't agree they should be ignored. I think they should be countered. Putting up white sheets so they're obscured from the mourners entering a house of worship or funeral home. Playing music loud enough to drown out their hateful rhetoric as they literally spit at mourners and attempt to get into fights so they can then sue for injuries and thereby continue their psycho's for Christ road trips.
They're entitled to free speech however I think people grieving the loss of loved one's are entitled to peace of mind. Give them a permit in the sticks somewhere, so they can scream to the cows. Not so they can scream on church property or a lot nearby.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:39:23 PM by purplebutter »

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others."  Anonymous

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
I'm dead meat...
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 05:09:08 PM »
Nam to BFL:

This is bad news. I didn't realize Nam was so scary.

And only this morning I hijacked one of his threads, in which he wanted to discuss intellectual foreign films.

I responded with a series of pictures of hot French babes.

Whoops.

I may be in trouble.

Anyway, gotta go, there's a knock at the door...

Gnu.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 05:14:46 PM by Gnu Ordure »

Offline bigdamhero

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Phelps pisses me off so much I kind of wish he'd stage a protest in my area. We are a bit rural and backwords here but I know many good 'ol boys who wouldn't take kindly to some jackass disrespecting the dead in thier backyard regardless of sexual preference or any other reason.
Me to my minister father, "If you want to truly understand why I'm an atheist, read the bible again"