3 (5.2%)
No
45 (77.6%)
It's possible they exist
4 (6.9%)
I am one
6 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Ghosts. Do you believe?  (Read 2394 times)

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Re: Ghosts. Do you believe?
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2012, 05:59:37 PM »
Methods of detection drain their mana. So do people. That's why we only appear to small groups and in front of very poor cameras.

...Did you guys not notice that or did you just think it wasn't very funny? :(

It's only what we expect from you, Lou Cypher. (Remember Robert deNiro in Angel Heart? sheesh)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Johnny Spunkypants

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2012, 06:02:49 PM »
Absolutely yes I believe in ghosts. I have seen many. They're nothing to be scared of, they are beings who exist in another vibration, and they often appear to be transparent simply because they are, at the time, inbetween worlds.

Peace.
I'm not here to defend my views. I'm here simply to give my two cents.

Offline orpat

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-8
  • What is in the bottle? No it's water
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2012, 12:50:45 AM »
usually when someone says there is a ghost in a particular room I'm the type of guy who will go up there and start pulling light fixtures apart looking for shorted wires or anything that might be causing whatever symptom is attributed to the "ghost".

Usually when someone says there is a ghost in a particular room, I'm the type who will run in there looking for that "ghost", to see where that "ghost" is hiding.  ;D

I guess if there were a ghost, it got scared of me and went into hiding.
(Damn it, that kid has arrived  looking for us ghosts again, lets hide.)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:52:53 AM by orpat »
Hello Homo Sapiens

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2012, 01:18:04 AM »
Absolutely yes I believe in ghosts. I have seen many. They're nothing to be scared of, they are beings who exist in another vibration, and they often appear to be transparent simply because they are, at the time, inbetween worlds.

Peace.

Oh ya?  Do go on.
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." -- Charlie Chaplin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2012, 06:33:40 AM »

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2012, 08:31:55 AM »

Why?

Peace.

Because I'm trying to picture someone typing that with a straight face, but I'm not quite there yet.
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." -- Charlie Chaplin

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2012, 08:48:24 AM »

Peace.

Perhaps you might be able to back this up? Just so we can verify. I have seen a couple of ghosts before now...I say a ghost, it was something I interpreted as a ghost, but nothing about the experiences could in anyway tell me, let alone provide evidence to suggest that they're people in between worlds. I've made the argument to suggest that it may be the case against people who believe ghosts are the spirits of the dead, not to bring forth a valid argument but rather to suggest they don't actually know for certain what they saw and it's fruitless to come to any conclusions.

Despite the experiences, I am STILL a non-believer, at least until I have something that is verifiable.

War.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2012, 09:35:09 AM »
Methods of detection drain their mana. So do people. That's why we only appear to small groups and in front of very poor cameras.

I've heard that ( I'm not shitting you ) that ghosts avoid skeptics because a ghost revealing itself to a skeptic would shatter the "mysterium" of the after life, thus proving a god and removing 'faith'.

But once everyone has proof of ghosts and becomes believers, there won't be anymore skeptics.....Isn't that a good thing?  :?

Devil's Advocate: But then god wouldn't be 'just', because god sat down that belief should be through faith alone and if you have knowledge of him you do not have faith.

( I think this is the conclusion they were going for )
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2012, 03:12:03 PM »
Despite the experiences, I am STILL a non-believer, at least until I have something that is verifiable.

When you see someone who is transparent (or even solid but you know that they're dead), and talk with them, I'd say that's pretty good verification. Verifying it to a third party, that's another matter entirely. Can I see your thoughts? No. But you still have them and you know that you have them. You know that for a fact, there's no mistaking it. I may not know what your thought was but you do. You don't need third party confirmation to know what you know. True knowing is when you know something yourself, not when someone else tells you one way or the other.

Peace and blessings to you.

Online Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2012, 03:37:13 PM »
You don't need third party confirmation to know what you know. True knowing is when you know something yourself, not when someone else tells you one way or the other.

If that's indeed the case, how can one differentiate between knowing what you saw was real, or a hallucination?
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2012, 04:00:42 PM »
What did these ghosts tell you? Did they tell you exactly what they were? I do have an alternative explanation, re-constructive memory.

http://www.bookrags.com/research/reconstructive-memory-lmem-01/

I will use an example of this. When I was a kid I remember meeting ex-UK Prime Minister, John Major in a supermarket (he's actually a local). I told him that our family didn't vote for Tony Blair and said that I didn't like him anyway. This story creates a decent anecdote in that as a kid I had sense. The problem with that memory is that according to my parents I met John Major whilst he was still Prime Minister and it was before the election. So either my memory is wrong or my parents' memory is wrong. I remember it as though it were true.

Relative to my experience of ghosts. One I saw looked as though he was drinking the Pepsi I left on the window sill and the next morning it was gone. I distinctly remember leaving some over, but others said I had finished it. Gaps in your memory are filled with your beliefs and expectations.

The alternative could be that it was a hallucination as Dante suggested. That doesn't necessarily mean your were on psychedelic drugs or anything like that. People's so-called experiences of ghosts could be entirely psychological. This is the problem without having the ability to verify such things, what you 'experience' could have numerous possible explanations. It's interesting because there's so many people in the world who truly believe their deity has spoken to them, yet we can't really bring any kind of validity to their claims. They may well believe these things ACTUALLY happened, but when you've got contradicting gods and religious beliefs and teachings between each they can't all be right.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2012, 04:04:27 PM »

If that's indeed the case, how can one differentiate between knowing what you saw was real, or a hallucination?

A better question is, how do you know anything at all, including what anyone else tells you? Ultimately, we can only be who we are. Our perceptions belong to our selves. If we don't have any trust in our own selves, if we don't have an evolved sense of knowing, then anything's up for grabs. Do we really know anything? What does it mean to actually know something truly? Can someone else ever know something on our behalf? These aren't questions that I'm literally asking you, they are questions that we all ought to mull over.

Peace.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2012, 04:06:10 PM »
A better answer would be "We can, but I'm not going to believe your explanation anyway. However, instead of avoiding the issue, I'm going to be intellectually honest and admit my own faults."
But I guess that's too much to ask for.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2012, 04:22:37 PM »
Seppuku, skepticism is a good thing. Skepticism doesn't merely involve doubt, it involves looking at things with an open mind, and applying doubt as and when it needs to be appiled, as judged by you (after all, it is your doubt, no one else's). There's a term called pseudoskepticism, used to describe people who are always geared to doubt things. That is as imbalanced as always being geared to believing things. Sure there can always be another possible explanation for an event involving a supposed ghost, but we live in a world where certain things are automatically dismissed as nonsense (especially in westernised countries), even by people who don't know all the facts (case in point, we all watch the news, but let's face it, few of us know what's really going on in the world, least of all journalists who get their information from another party), and it's important to remain objective rather than allow our culture to make our minds up for us.

A true open mind is one that is prepared to bravely put aside all preconcpetions of the possible. Many claim to do this but few actually do. The most balanced way to look at a claim is to find all possible conceiveable reasons why it could be true, as well as reasons wht it could not be true, and take it from there. Many claim to be balanced but few do the former, only the latter. That is not skepticism. Also it's important to trust yourself, and look at things with your own eyes, rather than through the eyes of a pre existing dogma. If you can't trust yourself, you won't be able to trust anyone else.

Peace.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2012, 05:10:03 PM »
Seppuku, skepticism is a good thing. Skepticism doesn't merely involve doubt, it involves looking at things with an open mind, and applying doubt as and when it needs to be appiled, as judged by you (after all, it is your doubt, no one else's). There's a term called pseudoskepticism, used to describe people who are always geared to doubt things. That is as imbalanced as always being geared to believing things. Sure there can always be another possible explanation for an event involving a supposed ghost, but we live in a world where certain things are automatically dismissed as nonsense (especially in westernised countries), even by people who don't know all the facts (case in point, we all watch the news, but let's face it, few of us know what's really going on in the world, least of all journalists who get their information from another party), and it's important to remain objective rather than allow our culture to make our minds up for us.

A true open mind is one that is prepared to bravely put aside all preconcpetions of the possible. Many claim to do this but few actually do. The most balanced way to look at a claim is to find all possible conceiveable reasons why it could be true, as well as reasons wht it could not be true, and take it from there. Many claim to be balanced but few do the former, only the latter. That is not skepticism. Also it's important to trust yourself, and look at things with your own eyes, rather than through the eyes of a pre existing dogma. If you can't trust yourself, you won't be able to trust anyone else.

Peace.

That's pretty condescending and makes a number of baseless assumptions. It is also a dodge. Are you suggesting reconstructive memory is not an accurate analysis? Should I just ignore it because it's pre-existing dogma? Perhaps I could, perhaps the sceptic in me could question in it. However, my John Major example already shows me reconstructive memory in action, either my memory is a poor reconstruction or my parents' is. The ghost drinking my pepsi, another example, either the ghost drank the Pepsi as I saw or it was me, as my brother saw - he claims there was none left before I went to bed.

To my old psychology teacher pulled the 1932 'War of the Ghosts' experiment on our class. The results accurately suggests memory is reconstructive. But it is important to trust myself. However, there remains a conflict. There is the possibility that being human and therefore finite I am led to make errors in judgement and of perception, so on one hand I must trust ALL of my memories to be accurate as I have experienced things with my own eyes or accept that my memories are reconstructive and therefore flawed and details may live up to expectations and beliefs as opposed to an 100% snapshot, which I have seen evidence for...with my own eyes.

So maybe I should trust myself and not trust myself completely. You know, have an open mind and accept the possibility that my answers maybe wrong, but of course base my own beliefs on what can be tested and measured (therefore seen with my own eyes and the eyes of others) instead of taking my own perception of things without the means to back them up even with a credible source that a person is capable to testing? If one were capable of testing your claims and find them to be valid, then I would believe them. So I look at the world through means that can be measured, observed and tested as opposed to come to conclusions based on how my brain decides to interpret it. If the latter, I'd still believe in Santa...because guess what? I thought I saw him once...the real one, not a man in a fake beard.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2012, 05:33:29 PM »
I'm not at all suggesting that reconstructive memory isn't an accurate analysis. It can be, or it may not be, depending on the situation. But in my post I wasn't making any comment about whether or not it is. No, don't ignore it. Put it down as a possibility alongside the possibility that it is a ghost. Science has a habit of making the assumption that all things must be measurable and observable and testable by all in order to be fact. But not all facts can be measured, observed and tested by all. Not everything fits into a test tube. Take three madmen and trust them to make a judgement. You wouldn't, right? Take three people deeply dogmatised and ask them to do the same. Again, no chance. A concensus is evidence of similar world views, it isn't evidence of truth or fact. It says more about the prevailing ideas of the time and in that culture than it does about the thing being considered. I don't know what you found condescending but I can assure you that that's not my intention. Pseudoskepticism must be avoided just as much as gladly believing everything that comes along, I don't think there's anything unreasonable about saying that. Judgement must be used. If you don't have the ability to truly know anything at all, you do not have the ability to trust anything at all, including one's peers. At some point we have to be able to say ok, at least I know this much, and go from there. Do you believe that you yourself independently and truly know anything at all? What do you base that on? Is it you who is doing the knowing or do you allow others to know on your behalf? These are questions that we must mull over.

Peace.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 05:35:27 PM by Johnny Spunkypants »

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2012, 06:10:27 PM »
Science has a habit of making the assumption that all things must be measurable and observable and testable by all in order to be fact.

No. That is not science. Science is based on using objects that are measurable, observable and testable in order to establish fact. It does not take the assumption all things must be measurable. You can measure anything that's abstract...or a priori for that matter. One of your statements suggests that "the judgements of madmen are not worthy of my trust". These are self-defined statements - not ones based on fact. The only object in there is 'men'. 'Judgement' is abstract - it is a concept conjured by the sentient mind.  'Mad' is an abstract quality applied to an object. "Saddam Hussein was mad" is not a fact. It is a purely subjective quality. Trust is also abstract. What we're talking about is constructs within our own mind - how we interpret things. Interpretation does not equate to knowledge. You might know you're applying an abstract (I love kittens!) and you might know somebody is applying an abstract to you (kittens love me!). Is this measurable? Yes, emotional responses have physical manifestations and thoughts can be measured within the brain, though currently how far our technology allows us is rather limited.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2012, 05:26:31 AM »
When you see someone who is transparent (or even solid but you know that they're dead), and talk with them, I'd say that's pretty good verification. Verifying it to a third party, that's another matter entirely. Can I see your thoughts? No. But you still have them and you know that you have them. You know that for a fact, there's no mistaking it. I may not know what your thought was but you do. You don't need third party confirmation to know what you know. True knowing is when you know something yourself, not when someone else tells you one way or the other.

Dante asked you how you could be sure what you saw was real, or illusion.  Instead of answering, you decided to go with the "how can we be sure of anything?" route, then along the "keep an open mind" route.

But here's the problem.  You've said "I talk to ghosts" - but so far are refusing to give any further details.  Nor will you give any time to convincing us that anything you say should be taken as anything more than hallucination.  If YOU aren'ty prepared to countenance that possibility, then perhaps YOU are the one unprepared to keep an open mind.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2012, 07:36:29 AM »
Nor will you give any time to convincing us

Exactly, that's not what I'm into. You're entitled to your own views and the last thing I want to do is preach my views to you. It's natural to not want to be convinved of anything other than our existing views, and it's highly unlikely that anyone here will ever convince anyone else of anything. Since I don't want to impose my views on anyone, and since I don't want to have arguments all the time, it's best to just say my piece and you can make of it what you will. What you think about my views is virtually none of my business. If you think there's validity in the claim of having seen a ghost, that's great, and if you don't then that's ok too. I'm here to share my views, not preach or convince. It's information, a point of view, you can accept or reject it, that's your decision, not mine.

Peace.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2012, 07:37:30 AM »
Discussion is not preaching. Preaching is what you're doing now - asserting your views as the truth without showing evidence.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2012, 07:55:07 AM »
Discussion is not preaching. Preaching is what you're doing now - asserting your views as the truth without showing evidence.

I'm describing my experience, that's not preaching.

Peace.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2012, 07:56:50 AM »
I'm describing my experience, that's not preaching.

And when asked for evidence, you dodge the request and simply assert your experience was true, rather than simply admitting you have zero evidence, like any intellectually honest person would. That's preaching.
We choose our own gods.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2012, 08:02:01 AM »
My evidence is untestable, unmeasurable, and unverifiable by you. So it's as pointless to attempt to offer it as it is to request it. All I can do is describe my experience, it's up to you if you want to accept or reject it, or perhaps you might want to look into it for yourself, like I say it's none of my business how you take it. If I thought it was, if I had a stake in what you made of it, I would attempt to preach to you. But the reason I don't preach is because it's your decision, not mine.

Peace.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2012, 08:09:07 AM »
My evidence is untestable, unmeasurable, and unverifiable by you.

So it's not evidence. All evidence is testable, measurable and verifiable. That's what evidence is.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2012, 08:13:30 AM »
My evidence is untestable, unmeasurable, and unverifiable by you. So it's as pointless to attempt to offer it as it is to request it. All I can do is describe my experience, it's up to you if you want to accept or reject it, or perhaps you might want to look into it for yourself, like I say it's none of my business how you take it. If I thought it was, if I had a stake in what you made of it, I would attempt to preach to you. But the reason I don't preach is because it's your decision, not mine.

Peace.

Fair 'nuff.  You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you get that.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2012, 08:16:20 AM »
So why are you asking me to provide you with evidence when you know that can't be done? It seems pointless to ask, no? What I experienced may or may not have really happened, but you can never have a way of knowing that. Because I recognise this, I'm not claiming my experience to be fact, I'm just describing it.

Peace.

(That's to lucifer, not you, IM).

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2012, 08:18:17 AM »
Fair 'nuff.  You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you get that.

Exactly, that's right. It's just my opinion. I think it's real (hence why I describe it as such), but I would never dream of imposing that view on anyone else. I don't have that right, it's not my decision to make.

Peace.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2012, 08:19:01 AM »
I'm giving you numerous opportunities to show an ounce of intellectual honesty before "disengaging" permanently. So far you've failed all of them.
We choose our own gods.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2012, 08:21:51 AM »
I'm giving you numerous opportunities to show an ounce of intellectual honesty

I'm being totally honest. I've had certain experiences, I can't prove them to you (nor do I claim to be able to), I recognise this, I'm convinced they were real, again that's just my view and I recognise that too, and I'm not preaching my view to you, I'm merely describing it. I don't see any dishonesty there. On the other hand you're asking for evidence which you already know is not forthcoming for the fact that it cannot be provided.

Peace.