3 (5.2%)
No
45 (77.6%)
It's possible they exist
4 (6.9%)
I am one
6 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Ghosts. Do you believe?  (Read 2454 times)

Online Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Re: Ghosts. Do you believe?
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 11:05:19 PM »
I think the real mystery here is, did Emily purposely set up the poll so the results would look like a god's blue hand flipping a ginormous bird?
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2012, 01:19:52 AM »
Speaking of ghosts..what are the names of Casper's fellow ghosts who intentionally go out at night to scare you all forcing Emily to make this post?
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 05:42:01 AM »
I know there are ghosts, not just believe. If there are no ghosts, what are the things that visit my bedroom at night and make strange noises?
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Babdah

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-3
  • “We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 08:41:32 AM »
Why is it that when we speck of ghost you always hear of "people" are animal not worthy to be ghost, do they not die "tragically" just like humans? I use to think ghost exist, but when I grew up I realized that self-deception happens a lot and I did not have to conform.
“We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered, afraid of its own forces, in search not merely of its road but even of its direction

Online Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2012, 09:03:03 AM »
I know there are ghosts, not just believe. If there are no ghosts, what are the things that visit my bedroom at night and make strange noises?

The tooth fairy?
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
I don't believe in ghosts, but that BITCH the tooth fairy fucked me up for my sins over the years. :o
..and only paid me a nickel per tooth and pocketed the rest..
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:06:52 AM by atheola »

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2012, 10:05:31 AM »
No. There is no life after death. The very notion is oxymoronic. Either we die or we live. You can't die and keep on living, for death is the opposite of life.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2012, 10:07:43 AM »
No one will know until they die. If their is no afterlife, there isn't many good reasons to stay alive.
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2012, 10:09:43 AM »
No one will know until they die. If their is no afterlife, there isn't many good reasons to stay alive.

You have that backwards.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2012, 10:12:13 AM »

You have that backwards.

Many people have good reasons to live, others have reasons to die.
-Thomas Szasz

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2012, 10:28:34 AM »
I have a reason to live AND die..
I was obviously puy here to suffer my increasingly ugly body and to give young people a damned good reason to both laugh at and FEAR old age. That's the living part..
The dying part, well, if I gotta put up with another 53 years of this bullshit..you figure it out.. &)

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 12:20:42 PM »
A Message from God (Peter Cullen Voice Over)

Before there was ever a beginning, there was life, and what intelligent life quickly realized was that the point of being alive is finding ways to stay alive. Since that realization, life itself has been a game of survival that’s been being played for a longer time than has ever been imagined. The key to truly understanding what these words mean to you as individuals as well as your species and the others you may be sharing a world with lies within you all. It is my hope that soon, you will have decoded the message imbedded within you. So in anticipation of the day of your true understanding, I leave you with the challenge of not only finding freedom within yourselves and truly realizing that life has granted freedom to every sentient being. So finally, to every living being taking refuge within the pull of the stars, know this; “The game is over, and the living have won.”

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 01:02:05 PM »
I have a few thoughts on this subject.

First of all, no,  I don’t believe in ghosts. 

Secondly, like Pingnak, I do believe in “hallucinations, sensory deprivation, sleep deprivation, drugs, food poisoning, fever and psychoses, and all manner of other things that cause hallucinations.”

That said, three times in my life I “felt the presence” of a loved one who had recently died.  The first was my grandmother, in her home surrounded by family.  The second time was my sweet father, after his death.  But I pushed that away really hard.  My father was a rabid atheist, and would have been really pissed if I was having any “supernatural” responses to his death. 

The third time, was my beloved mom.  As I cleaned out her home, and packed up her possessions to keep or give away or throw out, I frequently felt her presence.  I am pretty sure that I understand that the context, of being in her home, touching the things that she loved and worked for, just created some set of chemical reactions in my brain.  I wasn’t ready to lose her.  I was in shock.  Distraught.  Overwhelmed with decisions I was not prepared to make.  And I felt completely unprepared to go forward in my life without her. 

I know that my experience was not unique, and that many people have similar feelings after losing a loved on.  Perhaps it is part of the process of letting go. 

Finally, I remember as a young girl, maybe 12 or so, being certain that I saw “ghosts” of non-specific people on various occasions.  I understand that this is also common among young girls that age.  It is a time of great hormonal upheaval, and a time of great transition, and who knows what is happening inside of those changing brains. 

So I guess I understand WHY people believe in ghosts. 

Freakygin, I do not know exactly how to explain what you saw.  I do not pretend to be a scientist who understands the nature of the universe or could speculate about how we might interact with dark matter or dark energy or if remnants of parallel universes could be visible from our own.   I do not have enough knowledge to completely dismiss this sort of possibility.  But I really suspect that most of what we see or imagine we see comes from inside or our own brains, and not from external sources. 

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2012, 03:07:08 PM »
My ex, a tiny 4'7" woman thought she saw a ghost in the upstairs bathroom and ripped the doorknob out then proceeded to destroy a solid wood door apart and the door opened in toward her. She somehow busted it off the 113 yr old hinges and destroyed the door frame and all this happened while she was butt naked... My stepdaughter suffers from diagnosed schizophrenia..I suspect my ex does too to a lesser degree.
Mental illmess can explain a great deal..

Offline orpat

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-8
  • What is in the bottle? No it's water
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2012, 10:38:32 AM »
I was brought up without the fear of ghosts. So ghosts for me were like another scary creature, nothing supernatural.

Went to a creepy graveyard once alone at midnight and sat there for some hours(it was one real creepy graveyard, if you stood near there in the evening, people thought you were a ghost). Was willing to die to meet a ghost. Unfortunately no ghost.  :'(
Hello Homo Sapiens

Offline BaalServant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Praise Ba'al really hard!
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2012, 05:22:41 AM »
One thing that's always struck me to be funny about ghosts is that they're able to walk through walls and trees and such, but for some reason, they never sink into the floor.   

I'm curious about the poll results - as of this reply, 3 people selected the first 'It's possible they exist' option, and 2 people selected the second 'It's possible they exist' option.  I wonder what prompted these 2 people to skip the first one and choose the second one.

My explanation for people seeing ghosts/apparitions is simply that our minds are affected by the flood of em waves that surround us.  In these instances, our minds try to make sense of what they're picking up, and end up resolving upon a familiar form, similar to how we can see a random blob and think there's a face in it.
.   ###$$$$$$$$$$$$###
   ################
   ###  PRAISE BA'AL  ####
 #### FOR THE ALTAR ####
##### OF BA'AL!!!!!! #####
####################

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2012, 10:08:36 AM »
I picked the 2nd "Its possible they exist" option, just because I thought it was weird and kind of funny that the same answer appeared twice. FWIW, I do not believe in ghosts, at least not as spirits of the dead. I suppose it is possible that they might be glimpses into other dimensions or something similar. I have never had any such experiences though, and usually when someone says there is a ghost in a particular room I'm the type of guy who will go up there and start pulling light fixtures apart looking for shorted wires or anything that might be causing whatever symptom is attributed to the "ghost". I've found that most folks are far too quick to explain any unusual happening in their homes as supernatural.
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2012, 10:12:33 AM »
I was brought up without the fear of ghosts. So ghosts for me were like another scary creature, nothing supernatural.

Went to a creepy graveyard once alone at midnight and sat there for some hours(it was one real creepy graveyard, if you stood near there in the evening, people thought you were a ghost). Was willing to die to meet a ghost. Unfortunately no ghost.  :'(

Yes, quite unfortunate. 
JK.  ;)
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." -- Charlie Chaplin

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2012, 10:15:47 AM »
Nope.  No reason to.

I watched the movie Ghost, but that was just cuz I knew I would get laid afterwards.  I found the continuity broke down rather quickly.  Why could Patrick's feet interact with the stairs (he climbed the stairs - I watched him), but couldn't connect a punch with a guy's face?
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." -- Charlie Chaplin

Offline BaalServant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Praise Ba'al really hard!
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2012, 12:52:04 PM »
Why could Patrick's feet interact with the stairs (he climbed the stairs - I watched him), but couldn't connect a punch with a guy's face?

Exactly.

@DumpsterFire (love the handle, by the way) - Thanks for the explanation.  : ) 

Technically, I'd have to agree with you, but I would have to put ghosts in the same category as leprechauns and armageddon fairies. 
.   ###$$$$$$$$$$$$###
   ################
   ###  PRAISE BA'AL  ####
 #### FOR THE ALTAR ####
##### OF BA'AL!!!!!! #####
####################

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »
What is the point of discussing 'ghost' unless you can't adequately explain what a ghost is supposed to be or how you have come to know that?

Any moron can jump at shadows, babble randomly, and improperly use an EMF meter while being filmed by a night vision camera.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:12:11 PM by Omen »
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +892/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2012, 03:00:25 PM »
Yeah, ghosts are so powerful that they can fly, toss sh!t around the house and cross dimensions, but they can't appear to a national tv audience? If there are really ghosts, why hasn't one ever shown up on Oprah or the nightly news? I guess they are really very shy. &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2012, 03:07:06 PM »
Yeah, ghosts are so powerful that they can fly, toss sh!t around the house and cross dimensions, but they can't appear to a national tv audience? If there are really ghosts, why hasn't one ever shown up on Oprah or the nightly news? I guess they are really very shy. &)

Methods of detection drain their mana. So do people. That's why we only appear to small groups and in front of very poor cameras.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2012, 03:15:29 PM »
Methods of detection drain their mana. So do people. That's why we only appear to small groups and in front of very poor cameras.

I've heard that ( I'm not shitting you ) that ghosts avoid skeptics because a ghost revealing itself to a skeptic would shatter the "mysterium" of the after life, thus proving a god and removing 'faith'.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2012, 03:17:08 PM »

rather like wiccans I've known.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2012, 04:13:46 PM »
Have you been to a optometrist lately?  I have a few scars on my eyeballs from metal dust and have had them removed with a picking needle at the EM room.

I gotta tell you, getting drunk and going for a walk in a dark room produces some interesting results. but hey that's me.    &)
A similar experience, I suffer from long-sightedness and when my pupils are wide open, e.g. when in poor light, my brain works overtime to try and make sense of what I am seeing. Posts, bushes, etc., in shadow in my peripheral vision sometimes turn into people, only to disappear when I look hard at them.

I must have seen thousands of ghosts - but never when I wear glasses.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2012, 04:16:55 PM »
I've had optic neuritis in both eyes, during the episodes I've experienced brief flashes of globular light and similar distortions.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +892/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2012, 05:46:19 PM »

I've heard that ( I'm not shitting you ) that ghosts avoid skeptics because a ghost revealing itself to a skeptic would shatter the "mysterium" of the after life, thus proving a god and removing 'faith'.

But once everyone has proof of ghosts and becomes believers, there won't be anymore skeptics.....Isn't that a good thing?  :?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2012, 05:48:11 PM »

...Did you guys not notice that or did you just think it wasn't very funny? :(
We choose our own gods.