Author Topic: kudos [#1075]  (Read 495 times)

Offline DL

kudos [#1075]
« on: February 16, 2009, 07:30:02 PM »
Very, very well done. I look forward to perusing all of your web site, and spreading
the word indeed.

For the record, I am a new agnostic, fresh "out of the closet" this year. Thanks to
you, Sam Harris, and so many others, for helping me in this transition. Ah...so many
fundamentalist family members, so little time.  

I am writing to comment on the word "belief." I am convinced that it is a useless
word. Can you think of one sentence, using the word "belief," where I would be
unable to substitute that word with another, thereby improving the clarity of the
sentence (and inherent lack of honesty for that matter?). I can't!

Belief, simply put, is nothing more than a willingness to be delusional. I don't
"believe" I'll live until 80. I hope. I don't believe a meaning of life exists. I
trust. I don't believe I'll have a beer with supper. I suspect it probable.

Belief??? BS!!!!

Best,

[name]
[city]

Offline Ashe

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-1
Re: kudos [#1075]
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 07:58:21 PM »
Well, if you're looking for a place to discuss your new agnostic outlook, this forum is a great place to do it! :)
2 miles!
"All men(humans )were demon possed and were planning to attack God. Just like if you talk back to your parents." - Failbag quote

Offline IwasWrong

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 10:53:16 AM »
Ah...so many fundamentalist family members, so little time.  

You may want to be careful with that thought.  Remember when you first became a Christian and you wanted to evangelize to the whole world?  You may not want to go at family members right away, guns blazing, with how stupid their belief system is.

Hate the stupid, not the person.
"And this is one big problem on these forums. Proof is needed for every statement.
My proof is my faith. "  -GodsDisciple

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 12:03:54 PM »
Ah...so many fundamentalist family members, so little time.  

You may want to be careful with that thought.  Remember when you first became a Christian and you wanted to evangelize to the whole world?  You may not want to go at family members right away, guns blazing, with how stupid their belief system is.

Hate the stupid, not the person.

ah but when does being willfully ignorant become that person's choice.  Then I think, I can, if not hate, really be disgusted by the "person". 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline IwasWrong

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 01:12:32 PM »
Well I wasn't trying to be to literal or "deep" with that post.  Just saying you don't have to immediately completely disown all of your relatives when you become a non believer.  Or for that matter, think that you are going to talk everyone out of their beliefs right away.
"And this is one big problem on these forums. Proof is needed for every statement.
My proof is my faith. "  -GodsDisciple

Offline Tails_155

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • L!5
    • The Enigma Puzzle
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 02:53:24 PM »
belief/believe/believing isn't a bad word(s,) it's just been used in a way that disgraces it... :(
Live! Learn! Laugh! Love! Lead!

I'm not all analysis, I like art, too: See?