Author Topic: An exchange with a Theologist ...  (Read 10688 times)

Offline dmnemaine

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: An exchange with a Theologist ...
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2009, 07:02:39 PM »
Right, I'm ignorant because I believe differently than you. Typical. You are the one that can not seperate willing something to be done and allowing it. You obviously do not have a true understanding of the God of the Bible so I can understand why you would not believe in him. You want to take one account and say "that's God in a nutshell". It's not. Once again, the book I recommended uses numerous scriptures and real life situations to describe to God of the Bible. Recommending that book was my only motive posting here. I'm sorry I can't post the entire book for you, but again I highly recommend it.

If a person knows that a woman is going to be raped and has the ability to stop the rape from happening, but decides to go ahead and let the woman be raped, is that not an act of will?   Yes that person is allowing the rape to occur, but the person has also made a decision of will not to interfere.

The God of the bible is omniscient.  He knows everything that is going to happen everywhere on earth: past, present, and future.  He is also omnipotent.  He can intervene in anything that has happened, is happening, or will happen.   Allowing or not allowing things to happen is an act of will.  If God allows something to happen, then he is also willing to let it happen, or he would use his power not to let it happen.  With an omniscient, omnipotent being, you cannot divorce allowing and willing from each other.  It is impossible.

Offline JBRO

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2009, 07:06:43 PM »
Everything I've said is backed up with scriptures and real life examples in the book I've recommended. If you don't want to read it that's fine you can keep thinking I'm ignorant and foolish. Again, I'm not going to post the whole book.

Offline subtleinspiration

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2009, 07:09:23 PM »
Everything I've said is backed up with scriptures and real life examples in the book I've recommended. If you don't want to read it that's fine you can keep thinking I'm ignorant and foolish. Again, I'm not going to post the whole book.

The premise is fundamentally flawed from its very beginning. Reading the book won't change that. And from the sample chapter I read, with his examples, there was only one truly logical conclusion:

There is no God.
"As a God fearing Christian,  you should never ever date an Atheist. One night alone with an atheist is enough for you to lose your faith and to be converted into one of the spiritually dead."

Offline dmnemaine

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2009, 07:15:01 PM »

You aren't even trying to discuss this.  All you're doing is digging your heels in and saying "I'm right because this book I read says so.  Nyah, nyah."   Instead of appealing to authority, try actually responding to the argument.

Offline JBRO

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2009, 07:51:15 PM »
My sole intention posting here was to recommend this book to some people I thought could use clarification (I'm not referring to anyone who has responded to my subsequent posts. You guys are certainly set in your beliefs and are certainly entitled to them). I never intended to get into an in depth discussion and probably should have left after my initial post. It's my fault for continuing the discussion  when I really did not desire to. I apologize if I wasted anyone's time.

With that I'll say good night and I wish you all nothing but the best in this life. 

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1136/-38
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2009, 07:16:45 AM »

I've also never claimed to be an authority, in fact I've said a number of times "I'm not a theologian.

Then why are you arguing?

Everything I've said is backed up with scriptures

That does not amount to anything here.  If I made a point to you and said "it is backed up by the Hindu Vedas" would you find that to be compelling?  Doubtful.

and real life examples in the book I've recommended. If you don't want to read it that's fine you can keep thinking I'm ignorant and foolish. Again, I'm not going to post the whole book.

So essentially, you are saying you have read the book, you just do not actually understand it?  If you have read the book but cannot explain what it says then you either did not read it carefully enough or you actually are ignorant and foolish.  You do not give us many options.
What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +336/-19
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2009, 11:30:16 AM »
My sole intention posting here was to recommend this book to some people I thought could use clarification (I'm not referring to anyone who has responded to my subsequent posts. You guys are certainly set in your beliefs and are certainly entitled to them). I never intended to get into an in depth discussion and probably should have left after my initial post. It's my fault for continuing the discussion  when I really did not desire to. I apologize if I wasted anyone's time.

With that I'll say good night and I wish you all nothing but the best in this life. 

You intended to be a pigeon and poop your opinion on the forum without being held accountable for what you claimed?  That doesn't make your views any more appealing since that would indicate you are rather cowardly. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline pjohneyp

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
Hi believers in Christ,

I had been in to many atheist's sites and found out that a bunch of hungry crocodiles are waiting for a chunk of meat to attack on it. This site is also not different than them. Express your opinion here and let them attack on it.  Anybody is free to express their opinion here, that's the way I see it. Don't be afraid to post your opinion here. Do not be sorry.

God bless you brothers and sisters in Christ.

Offline subtleinspiration

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2009, 11:56:15 AM »
Hi believers in Christ,

I had been in to many atheist's sites and found out that a bunch of hungry crocodiles are waiting for a chunk of meat to attack on it. This site is also not different than them. Express your opinion here and let them attack on it.  Anybody is free to express their opinion here, that's the way I see it. Don't be afraid to post your opinion here. Do not be sorry.

Whew, thanks for that. It's been a long morning and I needed a good laugh!  :D
"As a God fearing Christian,  you should never ever date an Atheist. One night alone with an atheist is enough for you to lose your faith and to be converted into one of the spiritually dead."

Offline dmnemaine

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2009, 12:07:45 PM »
Hi believers in Christ,

And the same thing would happen in reverse on a theist forum.  So what's your point?

Online velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +336/-19
« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2009, 12:08:19 PM »
Hi believers in Christ,

it's always rather cute that a theist thinks that they own the site. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2009, 03:18:54 PM »
Hi believers in Christ,

it's always rather cute that a theist thinks that they own the site.

Why not?  They already speak for the universe and everything in it.  In all humility, of course.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +72/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2009, 03:51:16 PM »
Looks like he spell checked it. That's progress.

Unfortunate that the structure implies a significant level of ignorance and lack of education.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline pjohneyp

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2009, 09:26:23 PM »

Unfortunate that the structure implies a significant level of ignorance and lack of education

Matthew 23:12
For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #130 on: March 28, 2009, 09:30:29 PM »
pjohneyp, we've read your book.  Often many times.  Got any of your own words worth reading?
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +72/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2009, 08:16:35 AM »

Unfortunate that the structure implies a significant level of ignorance and lack of education

Matthew 23:12
For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Yes, sweetie, your magic storybook says that. It is, however, not relevant to the statement I made.

Saying stupid things, in a stupid way, does not mean you are humble. It just might mean you're stupid.

Rendering an accurate description of your behaviour is not exalting oneself.

If you'd like me to explain more passages from your mythological text, I'd be happy to help.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Jman

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2009, 02:49:36 AM »

Gary: Pray for him to put $10,000 in my pocket right now.

There is $10,000 in your pocket right now.

That was easy.

Online velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +336/-19
« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2009, 02:12:58 PM »
Gary: Pray for him to put $10,000 in my pocket right now.
There is $10,000 in your pocket right now.
That was easy.

Good to see that you have no problem in lying here as well as in other threads. 

Offline Jman

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2009, 04:05:10 PM »
Lying how?

Online velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +336/-19
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2009, 06:24:05 PM »
Lying how?

oh, Themis, did you get money magically?

Offline blue_spiral

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • She died in ecstasy, with her eyes wide open
« Reply #136 on: April 05, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »

That drug talk is interesting to me because at some point I realized that my spiritual highs I was getting disappeared just like a drug and I was constantly chasing after it.
Spirituality is just a drug without the substance, and one can definitely abuse it!

Anyone have any info on studies done on the subject?
"i dont delete them becAUSE IT PROVES ME WRONG I DELETE THEM BECAUSE IT MAKES U LOOK LIKE AN DIOT AND? IM TRYING TO HELP YOU,THE ONLY THING U PROVED IS THAT UR GOING TO HELL " - A Christian on youtube who kept deleting my comments during a debate.