Author Topic: Member Feedback Survey results - comments  (Read 491 times)

Offline Tails_155

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • L!5
    • The Enigma Puzzle
Member Feedback Survey results - comments
« on: February 01, 2009, 03:25:57 PM »
Interesting stuff, too bad I love sarcasm :(
Live! Learn! Laugh! Love! Lead!

I'm not all analysis, I like art, too: See?

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • 1st an infidel, then a heretic, now an atheist!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 12:17:54 AM »
Mod 13, are comments allowed on this thread?

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 07:52:01 PM »
Mod 13, are comments allowed on this thread?

Since it's not locked, I would say 'yes'. :)

Thirteen
Inactive moderator account.

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:29:17 AM »
Yes, but that is not always an indicator. A while ago the admins posted a topic about how well the forum was doing and a member made a post, then i made a post. My post was deleted on the grounds that the thread was an announcement about something the forum was doing, and not a thread for discussion. This didn't make a lot of sense to me at the time, because the post above mine was left in place after mine had been removed and the thread then locked. However, i'm pleased to report that after i voiced my concern over this weird conundrum the other post was also removed. So, you can see why i would ask the question.

In regards to this forum i am extremely wary of the administration. I know of one member who was banned and told that it would be for only two days. His account was never restored and he was never told why it was changed to a permanent ban. I know of two other bans for purely vindictive reasons and the stated reason (given to the banned member) was not even something rule-based. (Wacky rationale that basically amounted to "We don't like you so we're banning you".) Speaking for myself i have followed the correct procedure in reporting issues only to have my posts deleted and no answer given. Many members are not privy to these facts, but i am and for me they constitute overwhelming evidence that leads to a very specific conclusion regarding the administration here and the type of unfair things they will do to their members with either little or no regret. (Perhaps even glee?)

Anyway, if the administration is interested i have some very pointed suggestions that would solve these specific types of issues completely. Of course, given the evidence i have i'm probably attempting to "piss up a rope", but i've at least offered and this forum can accept my help and listen to my quality suggestions or not. I can only offer the cookie. If you'd prefer to smack it out of my hand and stomp it into the muck that's your business.

Thanks for your time.  :)

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 06:14:22 AM »
Thanks for your response Vynn.

I think that, if we're getting into specific issues or grievances either with individual members of staff or with the staff generally, then I would have to say that these stray into sensitive and potentially "dramatic" areas that are best dealt with via Personal Message, not on the public board.

As far as the specific situation you describe is concerned, I think it antedates my tenure here, so I don't have any particular stake in the affair and am happy to act as a kind of mediator and sounding-board if that would help. I'm also happy to listen to suggestions. Given the sensitivity of the subject, though, it might be an idea to PM me your suggestions first. :)

Hope that helps.

Thirteen

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 08:59:08 AM »
Update: for those interested in wading through the raw data, it can be found here:

http://elemental.f-snet.com/cgi-bin/results.pl?action=stats

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 01:06:25 PM »
Thanks for your response Vynn.

No problem.

I think that, if we're getting into specific issues or grievances either with individual members of staff or with the staff generally, then I would have to say that these stray into sensitive and potentially "dramatic" areas that are best dealt with via Personal Message, not on the public board.

Well, i don't have any problem with discussing "specific issues or grievances", but at this point i think it's rather redundant, boring, and pointless. I've shared my issues before with the staff, and, well, you can judge for yourself based on the conclusion i've reached to which i've previously alluded. I mean, how many times are you going to to rag on your spouse for eyeing the neighbor every time they're out working in the yard? The administrative culture is what it is and i'd be a fool to think i could change that. The administrative culture here would have to first see the need for change and if this were to happen then they themselves will want to investigate methods of changing their protocol. No smoker is going to quit until he wants to quit. Them's the facts, 13.

As far as the specific situation you describe is concerned, I think it antedates my tenure here, so I don't have any particular stake in the affair and am happy to act as a kind of mediator and sounding-board if that would help. I'm also happy to listen to suggestions. Given the sensitivity of the subject, though, it might be an idea to PM me your suggestions first. :)

Hope that helps.

Thirteen

It shows that you're concerned about the type of situations and behaviors i've described, but as i said, nothing is going to "help" unless the administration here has a sincere desire to make changes for the better. They know what they've done to various members and no amount of "mediating" to resolve belated issues makes a bit of difference if the ideological undercurrent is what i believe it to be.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:08:20 PM by Vynn »

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 01:18:13 PM »
There are two issues which seem to want to be addressed.  The first is swamping new users with responses.  I think that this has to be looked at as part of a spectrum of other possibilities.  Alternatively, you could have insufficient activity to garner responses, which I think would definitely be a bad sign.  You could have a level of posting activity such that any individual thread might be overlooked, which I think would be a sign of poor organization of zones and boards.  Frankly, I think that if we assume that fine control over this sort of issue is difficult and places achieving perfection out of reach, then we have to start looking at the direction we prefer to err in.  For my money, I think that swamping new users is not the worse option and may well be the best.

The second concern is tone.  Obviously, I have a horse in this race.  I also don't think my opinion will surprise many here, but the truth is that we cannot cater to the comfort of the users in this circumstance.  We will NEVER prevail under those conditions.  The comfort offered by religion is simply beyond the scope of what we can hope to offer, and so, those that value that sort of comfort above all else are lost to us already.  Restricting the freedom of expression out of concern for the delicate sensibilities of some nebulous group of transitory members, especially on a forum that is expressedly atheist, seems to me an anathema.  The other thing that I think bears consideration is the basic fact that this forum is unique, even among atheistic forums, in the degree of freedom allowed its members.  That is really, really valuable and important.  Why should we endeavor to emulate other forums that already exist in other places?  Why can't we be different here?  If a Christian desires to debate atheists in a place where respectful dialogue is enforced by decree, there are MANY other places that user can go.  This forum ought to be an attempt at something different.  I would compare it to my opinion on gun laws.  I don't own a gun.  I don't use guns.  I acknowledge that guns kill far more people than they protect.  However, the US has enshrined the right to bear arms in its Constitution, as a founding principle, and I think that is really important.  There is a price to pay, but there is a price to pay for ANY choice.  In the same vein as I discussed playing to our natural strengths as atheists in honesty and forthright adult conversations, we can play to our strength as a forum and pay the price of loss of those members that cannot handle the straight talk.  There are already other religious discussion forums with rules against disrespectful discussion.  If that's what you want, go there.  Don't change this place away from what it is.  Don't kill off the one place where freedom of expression is placed above respectful dialogue.  Many of us that are here LIKE this place because of the freedom to express ourselves without barring holds.  There IS no other place for us to go.  Don't take this away.

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 02:36:44 PM »
Follow-up to Vynn sent via PM.

Offline Inactive_A

• Reader
  • Darwins +5/-3
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 03:41:40 PM »
There are two issues which seem to want to be addressed. The first is swamping new users with responses.
This is not something that administration or moderation has a great deal of control over.
Members will either respond to posts or not at their own choice.

The second concern is tone.  

There are now non-confrontational zones on the forum, the introduce yourself section, and the static transmissions section.  The first is moderated for tone, the second provides a venue for responding and reading articles independent of the theism or nature of the poster.

Regardless of the confrontational nature and purpose of the site, it should still be possible to make points cogently without resorting to cheap attacks.  The rules cover this somewhat, as do the Forum Etiquette Guide.

Most zones also contain a sticky post at the top which further helps to delineate the nature of the zone.

Thank you for participating in the Survey and helping us to refine the forum.