Author Topic: 10 Questions [#1018]  (Read 227 times)

Offline DL

10 Questions [#1018]
« on: February 03, 2009, 08:14:06 PM »

I looked through your forums. You guys dig deep, which is a good thing and appreciated. I dont know if this is true or not but I believe you are after the truth. You could be fooling me though, and just be out to prove yourself right. So I wanted to ask a few more questions, because I very much believe when you seek truth, you will find it.

As I looked through the forums, I found a couple flaws in the logic on both sides of most debates. I find that in any debate, both sides start with an assumption or a bias and work outward. Its like two people on either side of a ravine and they keep meeting at various points along the ravine always across from each other and talk about what it looks like from their side. Many important points and issues get passed up because they are skipped over or assumed one way when in fact the assumption could be incorrect. I don't know where to post thoughts or comments in many of the existing debates or forums because it would be like eye dropping water into the ocean - its effect would not be made or felt. Therefore, I wanted to ask some questions, and wondered if youd humor me.

1. What is the purpose for your videos. They are well done, they are thought provoking - Ill give you that. But are you seeking an answer, or is this seeking attention?

2. Secondly and most importantly - do you believe absolute truth exists?

[name]

Offline Tails_155

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • L!5
    • The Enigma Puzzle
Re: 10 Questions [#1018]
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 08:52:49 PM »
to get people to live their lives without fearing hell, hating others, or wasting money on an organization which is lying...

and moreso just to actually LIVE life, not just exist

Truth is hard to have an absolute, at least that is conceivable, though it is possible -shrugs-
Live! Learn! Laugh! Love! Lead!

I'm not all analysis, I like art, too: See?

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
Re: 10 Questions [#1018]
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 11:33:24 PM »
I looked through your forums. You guys dig deep, which is a good thing and appreciated.

If you want, create an account.  It's anonymous, free, and the forums are quite a bit easier to chat with than email.

I dont know if this is true or not but I believe you are after the truth. You could be fooling me though, and just be out to prove yourself right. So I wanted to ask a few more questions, because I very much believe when you seek truth, you will find it.

I'm not after the truth.  I'm after the best tentative conclusions I can arrive at.  I hope that I can be stubborn enough and sharp enough not to get suckered in.  Yet, at the same time, I hope that I am humble enough not to sucker myself out of a more honest and accurate conclusion just because I don't like it at the moment.

People who focus on the truth tend to become dogmatic -- especially when reality starts to show flaws in the established order of things.

As I looked through the forums, I found a couple flaws in the logic on both sides of most debates. I find that in any debate, both sides start with an assumption or a bias and work outward. Its like two people on either side of a ravine and they keep meeting at various points along the ravine always across from each other and talk about what it looks like from their side. Many important points and issues get passed up because they are skipped over or assumed one way when in fact the assumption could be incorrect. I don't know where to post thoughts or comments in many of the existing debates or forums because it would be like eye dropping water into the ocean - its effect would not be made or felt. Therefore, I wanted to ask some questions, and wondered if youd humor me.

For me, it's not a debate unless someone attempts to BS me.  A debate can be a battle of wits, yet in the forums it is mostly a struggle to educate.

1. What is the purpose for your videos. They are well done, they are thought provoking - Ill give you that. But are you seeking an answer, or is this seeking attention?

I'll post my standard comment and question -- the one I direct at Christians of any sect or level of dogmatism -- at the end of this message.

2. Secondly and most importantly - do you believe absolute truth exists?

I hope I've already addressed this.  (FWIW: I did not read your entire message first before responding.  I wrote as I read.)

------------------------------------------------------------

Standard comment and question to Christians (as noted in #1 above);

------------------------------------------------------------

I have noticed, as you may have as well, that there are Christians that do things in the name of Christianity that are negative.  Christians that promote bigotry and ignorance.  Christians that advocate actions that lead to harm and even death.  Christians that advocate not caring about this world and who want it to be destroyed in a polluted and fiery apocalypse.

If there were enough Christians that effectively dealt with those problems, I would not have any concerns.  Believe as you want.  As far as I would be concerned, the real world problems would be solved.

Unfortunately, that is not the world we are in.  Most Christians aren't doing nearly enough.   Many unfortunately are actively promoting these negative goals -- from paying money passively to going out and doing these negative actions themselves.  Some of the strongest advocates for those negative actions are the leaders and congregants of the larger Christian churches and organizations; this is not a problem with a few fringe groups or eccentric cult leaders.

Too many Christians not only do not take responsibility, they are leading the charge for these negative actions.  They justify bigotry and ignorance, they justify actions that result in the deaths of others that could be easily avoided.

As a responsible person, someone who cares about the world and the future of humanity, I have to act.  Even if it is not my fault that these Christians are doing harm, it is my responsibility to do something positive.  You can consider it a moral obligation.  If that means that I have to hold up a mirror so that my fellow humans look at what they believe, then I'll take that modest step.  Maybe that will be enough to drain the air out of some of those bad ideas?

My question to you is not what you believe, but what are you doing about the acts your fellow Christians perform in the name of Christianity that spread hate, bigotry, ignorance, pain, and death?
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer