Author Topic: my very best effort at answering your questions - please take a look [#1001]  (Read 3606 times)

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: my very best effort at answering your questions - please take a look [#1001]
« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2009, 09:03:46 PM »
well, since I made it clear I was probing...
maybe I can ask a real question.
if god exists how far away from here does god exist?

Offline ManOnTrial

Re: my very best effort at answering your questions - please take a look [#1001]
« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2009, 12:51:58 AM »
You know what? I'm not gonna bother. What began as an intelligent discussion has ended with you simply berating me like a disobedient child. You will NEVER agree with me because the truth is you don't WANT to agree with me. You have no desire to discuss and seek out truth. You have already decided what truth is and now you are just trying to convert people to your religion. You created this forum as nothing more than a way to encourage yourselves and give yourselves pats on the back for being clever little atheists.

Half of you spend your whole time asking stupid questions while the other half ask perfectly reasonable questions but then refuse to consider the possibility that there is any truth in the answers provided for you. Apparently God doesn't exist because Atheism is right, and you accuse Christians of circular reasoning? Don't make me laugh.

Well Socrates aptly put it this way, "A wise man will know the boundaries of his own understanding" and since you guys seem to know everything and hold all the answers to the universe then I guess I had better go somewhere else. See if I can find some open minded atheists who sincerely want to talk and be truly honest with the themselves and the fuzzier points of their theory rather than just holding unrelenting to their ideals and attempting to bring the rest of the world under their same convictions.

Good luck guys. Have fun continuing to patronise and slag people off. Me, I've got far better things to do with my time.
Enjoy your club kids.

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2009, 01:34:44 AM »
now you are just trying to convert people to your religion.

why do you think atheism is a religion?

A wise man will know the boundaries of his own understanding" and since you guys seem to know everything and hold all the answers to the universe then I guess I had better go somewhere else. See

I don't know everything. I point and click to find an answer, and formulate my own conclusions based on my own understandings of what I see, smell, touch.

See if I can find some open minded atheists who sincerely want to talk and be truly honest with the themselves and the fuzzier points of their theory rather than just holding unrelenting to their ideals and attempting to bring the rest of the world under their same convictions.

no one is holding a gun to your head. if you spent just a we bit of time here you would find allot of us have common ground. we are after all human.
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline Tails_155

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • L!5
    • The Enigma Puzzle
« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2009, 02:45:00 AM »
the other thing is, there's a difference between closed minded and unconverted... you haven't presented evidence, in fact, you barely stepped outside the realm of opinion in 4 pages...
Live! Learn! Laugh! Love! Lead!

I'm not all analysis, I like art, too: See?

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
  • non-cdesign-proponentsist
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2009, 03:42:03 AM »
... while the other half ask perfectly reasonable questions but then refuse to consider the possibility that there is any truth in the answers provided for you.

I'm honest and open about my skepticism. If you give me answers that are hard to swallow, I'll tell you outright. I don't believe in "faith healing", or telepathic messages from supernatural entities, and if you wish to convince me that there's some truth in what you say, you'll have to provide somewhat more than bare assertion: I'm not likely simply to take your word for it. No-one else would expect me to do so, and you shouldn't either. Such claims are a dime a dozen, as I believe the saying goes, and no belief-system has a monopoly on them; but substantiating such claims is another matter altogether.

But be that as it may, how you spend your time is entirely up to you.
No day in which you learn something is wasted.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2009, 06:24:36 AM »
I am certain wiki is refutable, in that any article can be refuted by facts.

You mean reputable? Wiki is often reputable as a source of general biographical information about individuals.

I linked a bio for your reference. It seems to have been helpful to you.

Have you been able to determine which component of the Joseph Kony Bio was in error?

I meant to say reputable. I am answering a lot of posts here so I am not always going to get every post just right. For that I apologise.

Anything that says that Joseph Kony follows the will of God is in error. I still prefer to avoid assuming anything on Wikipedia to be accurate because it is so full of subjectivity it's scary. It seems that Wikipedia does however leave the disclaimer that JK thinks he is in the right. I am here trying to tell you categorically that he is most certainly not.

So, basically, what you interpret as god's word, is what allows you to determine if someone is a true christian?

Is that accurate?

Yes. I can see that we will disagree on this point but I can only tell you what I know.

You can only tell me what you think / believe.

Earlier you said that all christians agree on some main things. It seems that statement is quite weak, since you define christian as people who interepret the bible the same way you do. 

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:40:34 AM by Ambassador Pony »
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
Re: my very best effort at answering your questions - please take a look [#1001
« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2009, 06:27:57 AM »
Still interpreting your god the way you see it.  One million Christians could all have different interpretations of the same god.... your interpretation is the exact same.... nothing more than your personal interpretation based upon what you want to see in God or want to see in the world.  You see your god as you want to see your god.

Not quite. I see my God as He has revealed himself to me and it is quite often slightly different to that which I wanted to see. For example, there was a time in which I saw God as my divine puppet, something I could twist and manipulate to my own ends. It came as quite a surprise to find out that He was not such and from then I decided that we would both be better off if His will was done over mine. There are still many objective truths about God, the stuff that all Christians are agreed on.

Here is the post where you claim many objective truths agreed upon by "all christian". How are they objective if the definition of "christian" depends on whether someone agrees with you or not?

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2009, 06:39:06 AM »
You know what? I'm not gonna bother. What began as an intelligent discussion has ended with you simply berating me like a disobedient child. You will NEVER agree with me because the truth is you don't WANT to agree with me. You have no desire to discuss and seek out truth. You have already decided what truth is and now you are just trying to convert people to your religion. You created this forum as nothing more than a way to encourage yourselves and give yourselves pats on the back for being clever little atheists.

Half of you spend your whole time asking stupid questions while the other half ask perfectly reasonable questions but then refuse to consider the possibility that there is any truth in the answers provided for you. Apparently God doesn't exist because Atheism is right, and you accuse Christians of circular reasoning? Don't make me laugh.

Well Socrates aptly put it this way, "A wise man will know the boundaries of his own understanding" and since you guys seem to know everything and hold all the answers to the universe then I guess I had better go somewhere else. See if I can find some open minded atheists who sincerely want to talk and be truly honest with the themselves and the fuzzier points of their theory rather than just holding unrelenting to their ideals and attempting to bring the rest of the world under their same convictions.

Good luck guys. Have fun continuing to patronise and slag people off. Me, I've got far better things to do with my time.
Enjoy your club kids.

Ah, the self fulfilling prophesy.

He would not have been consistent without it.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2009, 09:59:07 AM »

Enjoy your club kids.

When you calm down, feel free to take another try at a discussion.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-31
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2009, 11:24:24 AM »

Are you suggesting that his posts so far constitute trying at a discussion?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2009, 12:52:24 PM »

Enjoy your club kids.

Being open minded does not mean accepting any piece of nonsense thrown at me.  I have given Christians more than enough chances to give me evidence of their claims and they have failed EVERY time. 

A wise man does know the boundaries of his understanding.  He also knows when believing in myths that have no better evidence than any other myths is simply ignorant.  I do love how the only atheists you feel worthy to speak to you are those that will alow you to preach at them with no counter, whose "honest" is only true if you deem it to be. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Dkit

• Reader
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • Nemesis Ridiculii
« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2009, 01:07:35 PM »
You will NEVER agree with me because the truth is you don't WANT to agree with me. You have no desire to discuss and seek out truth.
From this I have to assume you believe you have the only "truth" and will therefore dismiss future comments made by those who disagree with your version of the "truth". 

SSDD
"The Bible is a Banquet table not a snack tray!" - Anonymous Facebook User

Offline Dragnet

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • iustus res "We just want the facts"
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2009, 03:42:10 PM »
SSDD

Identical fecal matter, chronologically advanced perspective.
I am responsible with my actions NOW so I don't HAVE to be responsible for them later.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2009, 04:10:25 PM »
SSDD

Identical fecal matter, chronologically advanced perspective.

ROFL! ;D
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2009, 05:13:11 PM »

Are you suggesting that his posts so far constitute trying at a discussion?

I'm optimistic that the negative reaction is a result of realizing that they were not persuasive.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer