Author Topic: hey, I know you probly get a million msgs a day but i have a question [#107]  (Read 588 times)

Offline DL

i know now how i can use their own book of law against the christians who live by it, or say they do lol, but what do i do about the ones who think that its ok that the bible says all of those things that are wrong and unjust? My mom is one of those that just looks to the book for spiritual guidance but i want her to see the truth, i want her to se the cult that religion is! But just like all of them, they are stubborn and crave the guidance that this book of live gives their ignorance. what do i do? how can i convert her?

Generous George

It's his Mom, we are talking about...he cannot just write it off. It is a serious and difficult question. Stick around, you may get some answers that help. Good luck!

PS. Hey, where did that last post go?   :P

Offline StPatrick

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • The patron saint of WWGHA
Unfortunately, athiesm is not something you can force people to believe. They have to come to the realization themselves.

I guess point out the scientific nonsense and how a God that orders thousands of deaths of innocents cannot be considered "good" in any sense.
If we come together and do not fight over religion, class and borders then we hold the key to a peaceful world. There are two possible futures in store; either a March of power and greed or a March of a unified human race.

Generous George

My wife is a devout Christian. I am agnostic. Our children and I go to church. I provide them my view point and what I agree or disagree with from both points of view. It is not easy and causes some family stress, but my children can choose what they want to believe.

My 15 year old has more and more serious and thoughtful questions about the Bible. I can see her becoming a better person for struggling with the tough questions and I am happy with her ever changing and growing belief on the subject of the validity of the Bible as the literal word of God.

Cooperative, thoughtful and sincere communication makes all things possible in time and people who learn to think for themselves invariably reject mythology.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
how can i convert her?

when you figure out how to cure someone of the mental illness that is religion, let us know.  We're beating our heads against a wall here.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Ashe

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-1
Yeah, the truth of the matter is there is no easy answer. Maybe you can hang around the forum and get a few ideas here that you can share with her at some point.
2 miles!
"All men(humans )were demon possed and were planning to attack God. Just like if you talk back to your parents." - Failbag quote

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +113/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
In a very real sense you cannot convert her.
There is nothing to convert her to.

Christianity is a way of looking at the world through a set of special filters that tell you everything is nice and rosy and all you have to do are a specific set of things and you get to live forever.  There is a phrase:   "I used to pray for a bike, but then I realized it didn't work that way so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."  That covers it in a nutshell.

Religion lets you justify anything.  Anything at all.  200 people fall out of an airplane and into a vat of acid? The lords will.
You find 20 bucks in your pocket after the laundry?  The lords will.

You can't convert her, all you can do is to read the bible with her, and ask her to explain what certain areas mean.  Remember, the bible can mean anything, that tells you that it's meaningless on it's own.  Use it as a tool to help you.  Look up some contradictory verses, look up the parts about slavery and selling your daughter, or the multiple mutually exclusive ways that you can and can't be saved.  Have tons of legitimate questions about the bible.  Eventually she'll realize that she can't explain it, and say so, or she'll stop talking to you about it.

As long as you go about your life and live in a way that is consistent and for lack of a better word 'good' then you are fine.  Be your own person, even though it may take a while to figure out who that is.  Maybe someday you'll help your mother take those lenses off for a while.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
"I used to pray for a bike, but then I realized it didn't work that way so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness." 

emo phillips. I was going to use that as my sig, but never got around to it.

nice post, MB. 

To the original poster - Do what madbunny suggests, but keep in mind, there is nearly a 0% chance your mum is going to see the light. Don't be discouraged or frustrated.  Don't let it be an obstacle in your relationship with your mum. Be patient and stick to your guns. 

Either that or hold a pillow over her face until she refutes jesus.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.