Author Topic: The Five Dollar Club  (Read 6600 times)

Offline Red McWilliams

• Illuminati
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
Re: The Five Dollar Club
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 02:03:34 PM »
Here's someone I'll be sending a fiver to.

http://www.atheistthinktank.net/thinktank/index.php?topic=4996.msg106209#msg106209

David Campbell
c/o Ridgeview High School
466 Madison Ave.
Orange Park, FL 32065
Today I step into the shoes of a great man, a man by the name of Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2008, 11:29:53 AM »
Just thought I'd report my first letter in return.

Offline spider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ATT ambassador
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 12:26:06 AM »
Are you able to say what they said or their general reaction?

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 09:27:05 AM »
It was just a quick thank you note.

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2008, 12:28:21 PM »
This was discussed originally in this thread...
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=1684.0

These folks need all the help they can get.  They're currently battling the creationists, including the chairman of the Texas State Board of Education.

Based in Austin, the Texas Freedom Network acts as the state’s watchdog, monitoring far-right issues, organizations, money and leaders. The organization has been instrumental in defeating initiatives backed by the religious right in Texas, including private school vouchers, textbook censorship and faith-based deregulation.

Evolution is under fire as the State Board of Education revises curriculum standards for all public school science classes in Texas. Creationists on the state board have already made it clear that weakening instruction on evolution is a priority. Support a sound education for Texas students by joining the Stand Up for Science campaign.

http://www.tfn.org

Texas Freedom Network
P.O. Box 1624
Austin, TX 78767
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 02:51:12 PM by xphobe »
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2008, 07:44:21 PM »
Question:  For the purposes of the FDC, I think I will henceforth be sending money with the "In God We Trust" marked out.  However, I'd like to discuss the symbolism involved in potentially switching the notes used.  The five has got Lincoln's face on it.  Lincoln was frequently known to appeal to religion in his speeches.  George Washington, by all accounts, supported secularism, but neither is the case clear that he held no personal godbelief.  The Ten has Hamilton, who apparently lived a largely non-religious life, but is reputed to have embraced some theism late in life (Obviously, rumors like this are easier to find years after the person has deceased, when it becomes suddenly important to prove the "Founding Fathers" wanted Santa and Baby Jesus carved into every governmental building.).  The Twenty is Andrew Jackson, for whom information on his religious views is scarce all the way around.  The Fifty is Ulysses Grant and the Hundo is Ben Franklin.  Franklin would be an ideal person, but $100 is a bit steep.  The only other option is the Deuce, with Jefferson on it.  Jefferson is widely recognized as a "deist", whatever that means.  Of these, maybe someone here would like to make a suggestion for the best course.

Too bad we don't have a ten-pound note with Darwin on it like the Brits.  That'd be perfect.  Fourteen bucks wouldn't be too bad, as I sort of anticipated having to do at least a couple of these FDC donations a month, and experience now shows that it is substantially fewer than that.

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • 1st an infidel, then a heretic, now an atheist!
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2008, 08:02:06 PM »
The Twenty is Andrew Jackson, for whom information on his religious views is scarce all the way around.

I didn't know this as i thought he was a christian of some sort. Certainly he was hypocritical in many of his actions prior to the presidency. Franklin would be ideal. I agree.  :-\

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2008, 08:08:01 PM »
None of them was perfect.  They were after all only human.  Franklin was a deist who believed in reincarnation.  Jefferson, for all his flaws (for example, having sex with a slave), is about the best example we're going to find among the founding fathers.  Too bad Thomas Paine's picture isn't on a note!
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2008, 12:17:23 AM »
Here's someone I'll be sending a fiver to.

http://www.atheistthinktank.net/thinktank/index.php?topic=4996.msg106209#msg106209

David Campbell
c/o Ridgeview High School
466 Madison Ave.
Orange Park, FL 32065

I will send a fiver, thanks!
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.

Offline Moshydog

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • The Stig meets a panda.
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 01:31:02 AM »
Question:  For the purposes of the FDC, I think I will henceforth be sending money with the "In God We Trust" marked out.  However, I'd like to discuss the symbolism involved in potentially switching the notes used.  The five has got Lincoln's face on it.  Lincoln was frequently known to appeal to religion in his speeches.  George Washington, by all accounts, supported secularism, but neither is the case clear that he held no personal godbelief.  The Ten has Hamilton, who apparently lived a largely non-religious life, but is reputed to have embraced some theism late in life (Obviously, rumors like this are easier to find years after the person has deceased, when it becomes suddenly important to prove the "Founding Fathers" wanted Santa and Baby Jesus carved into every governmental building.).  The Twenty is Andrew Jackson, for whom information on his religious views is scarce all the way around.  The Fifty is Ulysses Grant and the Hundo is Ben Franklin.  Franklin would be an ideal person, but $100 is a bit steep.  The only other option is the Deuce, with Jefferson on it.  Jefferson is widely recognized as a "deist", whatever that means.  Of these, maybe someone here would like to make a suggestion for the best course.

Too bad we don't have a ten-pound note with Darwin on it like the Brits.  That'd be perfect.  Fourteen bucks wouldn't be too bad, as I sort of anticipated having to do at least a couple of these FDC donations a month, and experience now shows that it is substantially fewer than that.

OMG.

And I thought some Christians were hyper-legalistic... It's money, and the face is there so you don't get them mixed up. (In smarter countries the currency has different colours to help with this.)
All will soon be revealed...

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2009, 10:17:11 AM »
Just send a money order.
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2009, 06:20:38 PM »
If we are to send five dollars to anyone who has been the victim of religious intolerance, regardless of their own personal beliefs, then we're going to be sending a lot of $5's out.  You are, of course, welcome to follow your own course on this, but for me, the whole point was to offer encouragement to atheists that air their atheism in public and are victimized for it.  I do not intend to try to tempt theists into atheism with a kind word and five dollars during a moment of turmoil.  I want to try to offset the negativity that atheists receive from theists when their atheism is made public.

Offline mommykicksbutt

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Rubbing the religious raw, one theist at a time
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2009, 03:56:24 PM »
www.FFRF.org

is the Freedom from Religion Foundation, a watchdog group trying to hold up the "Wall of Separation" that Jefferson built to keep church and state separate.  I am a member, joining is only $40 a year or $1000 for a lifetime membership, you get the "Freethought Today" newspaper 10 times a year (has a "Black Collar Crime Blotter" section in it!).  Membership fees are put in a trust and with the money the pay for the lawyers and legal fees for their law suits.  They are the organization with the "atheist" billboard campaign and also the one's who put of the atheist sign in the Washington state capital.  They get my 40 bucks a year.  They do great work for all of us (including the believers whether they will acknowledge it or not).  They also accept donations for their work too.

Faith is nice but doubt will get you an education!
Theism: the virus that infects then disables the brain's bullshit detector
Join FFRF.org

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • DON'T PRESS THAT BUTTON!
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2009, 03:21:07 PM »
I don't mean to bust anyones bubble, but this sounds just to easy to scam. Seems like anyone can go just about anywhere, claim to be atheist and stir up some kind of sh*t with just about any church and claim to be a struggling atheist meanwhile raking in hundreds, if not thousands of $5 bills from unsuspecting suckers.. I could be wrong, but from the cover it sounds like it to me.
If you're looking for a struggling atheist look no further because I'm as poor as poor gets usually, but I'm only active online. My health is failing, I have a VERY hard time working, live in a shed, etc, but at the same time not looking to scam anyone for anything.
Imagine gaining favor with "Darwin's"...kind of like praying, huh?

http://freeclassicflix.co.cc

Offline Red McWilliams

• Illuminati
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2009, 03:24:42 PM »
I don't think there are thousands of people on this forum that are willing to participate.  At best a scammer would get $30 or so.
Today I step into the shoes of a great man, a man by the name of Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2009, 03:28:58 PM »
In that case I'll volunteer to scam.. Anyone want to cough up $30? I'm trying to get a state ID and running short. I have to have an ID before i can qualify to get free medical coverage and i can't even afford the ID right now. ;)

Offline Red McWilliams

• Illuminati
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2009, 03:42:29 PM »
Go do something Lincoln worthy and I'll send you a fiver.

Offline mram

• Professor
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • Freeclassicflix
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2009, 07:27:25 PM »
As typical i didn't take enough time to read everything and breezed through things till now. Has anyone bothered to establish a 501c(whatever) non profit for this cause? There's a lot of paperwork involved, but it at least makes it on somewhat of an equal footing with the tax exempt churches. I'm pretty sure i saw an attorney listed somewhere here..
Getting tax exempt status allows you to use the funds without being liable to pay gazillions of tax dollars to Uncle Sam... Just a thought.

Offline bosey926

• Reader
  • Darwins +8/-1
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2010, 07:17:26 PM »
I read the description and think this is great, but what is up with the links?  I can't find anywhere to donate except one posted address.  Is there another site/page that is going to be created with all of the information so we can send the money to all the different folks who need it $5 at a time, or like the guy before me (mram) posted are we making a non-profit organization out of this?  I say lets do it!  Balls to the fucking wall!  One central organization where all of the money goes to one location/person (likely that attorney mram was talking about) and we assist atheism across the world as requested, while avoiding the likely biased taxation of the United States government.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +622/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2010, 09:58:15 PM »
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=14441.0

Rob Sherman
P. O. Box 7410
Buffalo Grove, IL  60089-7410
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2010, 10:44:39 PM »
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=14441.0

Rob Sherman
P. O. Box 7410
Buffalo Grove, IL  60089-7410

I'm up for this one (next time I'm in town).

"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2010, 07:07:26 AM »
I think the raising of funds for advertising in media should be a priority. Similar to this campaign

http://www.atheistcampaign.org/

With the advent of social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter and the zeal with which the press latch onto this kind of drama I believe that the funds for an ongoing advertisement campaign in all countries could easily be achieved and probably even registered as a tax exempt entity like churches do.
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2010, 02:51:30 PM »
Did you have something to add, genuinelsutiger?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Agga

• Fellow
  • Darwins +27/-42
  • The Forum is made of its members.
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2010, 12:49:09 PM »
I keep seeing genuinesluttiger, not genuinelsutiger.  &)
I've left WWGHA now, so do everyone else a favour and don't bother replying to my old posts and necromancing my threads.

Offline Operator_A15

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2010, 08:59:07 PM »
Random quote post removed.
Former Moderator Account