Author Topic: The Five Dollar Club  (Read 10178 times)

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
The Five Dollar Club
« on: July 30, 2008, 03:11:10 PM »
I requested this child board be formed, in part, to help a bit of atheist activism I would like to begin.

I would like to request that whenever a News Item is posted where such action may be desirable, that members volunteer to seek out and post contact information for the individual or organizations involved.  The purpose of this will be to assist individual members in sending $5 (or rough equivalent in appropriate currency) to the atheist individuals or organizations that may be in the middle of a conflict, along with a letter of support.  I would like to encourage ALL atheist members of this community to send $5 and a letter to atheists that may be struggling with religious incursions in our society.  I would like to see members post their letters, in full, in the corresponding thread, or if you are not comfortable with doing that, simply posting up that you sent the $5.

I would also suggest that you mention this forum in the text of the letter.

I first came up with this idea in this thread.  It didn't really take off then, but I'd like to try it again.

Admin or Moderator,

Would it be possible to make this a sticky thread in this section?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 03:13:49 PM by Davedave »

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
Re: The Five Dollar Club
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 03:46:25 PM »
Anyway, I want to be the first to publicly resolve to undertake this endeavor.  I hope that many of you will also help, both in researching contact info and in sending letters and money.  I have been involved in fights like this and the boost to morale you get when you get letters of support cannot be overstated.  The letters I received are something I will never forget.  For a few minutes of effort a week, this really does make a difference.

Offline madame_zora

• Graduate
  • Darwins +3/-1
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 12:38:46 AM »
I love it, although I am frighteningly poor I can usually come up with $5 and I always have time for a letter. I'll see if I can at least get an email addy over the weekend for David Ryan if not a PO box. Thanks for a useful idea, it is much needed.
"Reality isn't something we invented to embarrass religious people." ~ captainmanacles

"Looking forward to a continuation of already-eternal life as myriad wandering  atoms doing interesting stuff." ~ Astreja

http://madamezoratoo.blogspot.com/

Offline Noumenon

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 12:42:36 AM »
I am also interested.

Five dollars once, is next to nothing,

five dollars multiplied x times = ....

Offline 7deadlysins

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Gummi envy
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 01:01:21 AM »
sounds like an interesting idea.
Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.

If your parents never had kids chances are neither will you.

Generous George

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 08:50:34 AM »
I requested this child board be formed, in part, to help a bit of atheist activism I would like to begin.

I would like to request that whenever a News Item is posted where such action may be desirable, that members volunteer to seek out and post contact information for the individual or organizations involved.  The purpose of this will be to assist individual members in sending $5 (or rough equivalent in appropriate currency) to the atheist individuals or organizations that may be in the middle of a conflict, along with a letter of support.  I would like to encourage ALL atheist members of this community to send $5 and a letter to atheists that may be struggling with religious incursions in our society.  I would like to see members post their letters, in full, in the corresponding thread, or if you are not comfortable with doing that, simply posting up that you sent the $5.

I would also suggest that you mention this forum in the text of the letter.

I first came up with this idea in this thread.  It didn't really take off then, but I'd like to try it again.

Admin or Moderator,

Would it be possible to make this a sticky thread in this section?

Good idea...count me in.

Offline mommykicksbutt

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Rubbing the religious raw, one theist at a time
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 04:22:26 PM »
So, where or who do we start with?  Keep the board posted.

Faith is nice but doubt will get you an education!
Theism: the virus that infects then disables the brain's bullshit detector
Join FFRF.org

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • 1st an infidel, then a heretic, now an atheist!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 04:27:37 PM »
So, where or who do we start with?  Keep the board posted.

I think Davedave would not mind this post of his being cross-linked:   (Reply #47)

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?topic=403.msg6959#msg6959

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 09:36:38 AM »
How about people, as they post stuff in the Religious News Items Section, post a link here, so people who have bookmarked this thread can get the reply?

Offline madame_zora

• Graduate
  • Darwins +3/-1
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 08:39:48 PM »
For anyone interested in sending a letter to David Ryan, I sent Edwin an email linking this thread earlier today, and just received this reply (something tells me the box number was no accident):

Jana,

What a lovely idea.

Any such can be addressed thus:

David Ryan

c/o Edwin Kagin

Attorney at Law

P.O. Box 666

Union, KY 41091

I am sure he will appreciate any and all support.

And it is really one neat P.O. Box number, huh?

Edwin, by dog.

"Reality isn't something we invented to embarrass religious people." ~ captainmanacles

"Looking forward to a continuation of already-eternal life as myriad wandering  atoms doing interesting stuff." ~ Astreja

http://madamezoratoo.blogspot.com/

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +72/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 09:01:16 PM »
bm$
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline spider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ATT ambassador
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 09:21:04 PM »
zomg, yes!  This sounds like fun.  I'm always spending random amounts of money on the interwebs.  It's about time I made sure it was useful.

And I love writing letters.  I have the best crazy Korean stationery.  I also used to type them on a typewriter but it got b0rked. I might get me a new one.

Offline L6

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Ignostic
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 10:14:03 PM »
Much as I hate the idea of posting a "bookmark", that's what I have to do in this case. No time to write a letter right now; it's late and I'm hungry and I need to get out of the office!
God's existence is contingent upon the illusion that morality is dictated by religious authority.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 11:17:07 AM »
Madame Zora,

What I'd like to do is keep this thread to just linking to the posts with the contact info.  I'm going to cross-post the contact info in the relevant thread.  I'd like to just keep this one a running account of which threads are being proposed as appropriate for the Five Dollar Club.

Basically, I want people who are interested in keeping in touch with these items to bookmark or otherwise mark to receive notification of updates on this thread, and have this thread contain a link to the OP, and a follow up link when the contact info is secured.  That way, the people that receive notification on this thread will be alerted when a new story is posted, so they can help track down the contact info, and then alerted again when the contact info is posted, so they can send their letter.

So in this case, the contact info for this story has been posted here.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 11:41:30 AM »
Trying to get contact information for this one.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 03:41:41 PM »
Is anyone else participating in this?

Offline rickymooston

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-11
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 03:42:33 PM »
Nice idea DaveDave.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 03:47:54 PM »
Obviously, it's not such a good idea.  It has apparently won zero adherents.

Offline Cycle4Fun

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 03:49:58 PM »
Is anyone else participating in this?

yes, but there hasn't been much activity of late.  I don't know of any atheist activism at that moment.
How do you define soul?
"A baseless assertion by simple-minded, superstitious individuals"
   -Starstuff

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 03:56:05 PM »
I think this one is a valid opportunity.  They have already won, but part of the idea here is to support groups that undertake such efforts.  If this group took the proactive route here, then perhaps our support will bolster them in future action.  There is no contact information for them yet, though.

Offline Cycle4Fun

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 03:58:16 PM »
I think this one is a valid opportunity.  They have already won, but part of the idea here is to support groups that undertake such efforts.  If this group took the proactive route here, then perhaps our support will bolster them in future action.  There is no contact information for them yet, though.

I agree.  Not much you can do without contact information.
How do you define soul?
"A baseless assertion by simple-minded, superstitious individuals"
   -Starstuff

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 04:00:29 PM »
Well, they are apparently based around a Meet-up group.  I thought we had a couple of folks from Tennessee here.  Maybe they could join the group?  This is supposed to be a group effort on this side too.

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +858/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 07:00:51 PM »
How about the Ayaan Hirsi Ali Security Trust?  Contact info and signup for monthly donation at the link.  I'm already subscribed for $10.00/month.

In case anyone is unfamiliar with this, it is a fund to pay for private security to protect Ayaan Hirsi Ali.  She is a woman from Somalia who escaped fundie Islam and has become a prominent opponent of it.  Fatwas have been issued demanding her death, and one of the people she worked with, Theo van Gogh, has already been killed.  The Dutch government decided to stop paying for the expenses of protecting her (she was a member of the Dutch parliament), and the U.S. government has not stepped up to take over after she moved to the U.S..

This Five Dollar Club is a great idea, Davedave.  I encourage the rest of you to step up and get involved. :)
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +72/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 10:18:11 AM »
DaveDave, I love the idea, and am waiting for something Canadian.

It was almost the westboro incident, there was a group that was going to "encapsulate" them, I was going to send them a letter of supoport and five bucks.

I will do it soon, and post the results here.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline rickymooston

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-11
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 12:11:36 PM »
Obviously, it's not such a good idea.  It has apparently won zero adherents.

Good point.

;D

I plead guilty to not having donated 5$ for anything of late.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1178/-40
  • We stand on the shoulders of giants
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 09:36:15 AM »
Not exactly a struggling cause, but I think getting religion out of coungress is a good idea. $5 to california congressman Pete Stark for being the first open atheist member of the US congress.

campaign site: http://www.petestark.com/

news article "outing" him. http://media.www.hlrecord.org/media/storage/paper609/news/2007/09/27/News/U.s-Rep.Pete.Stark.comes.Out.As.An.Atheist-3000553.shtml

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline rickymooston

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-11
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 04:57:20 PM »
Not exactly a struggling cause, but I think getting religion out of coungress is a good idea. $5 to california congressman Pete Stark for being the first open atheist member of the US congress.

campaign site: http://www.petestark.com/

news article "outing" him. http://media.www.hlrecord.org/media/storage/paper609/news/2007/09/27/News/U.s-Rep.Pete.Stark.comes.Out.As.An.Atheist-3000553.shtml

His website lists "serving in church as one of his accomplishments".

Congressman Pete Stark represents the 13th Congressional District of California. Before his first election to Congress, Pete founded and managed an independent bank in the East Bay which became a national icon for corporate responsibility and social action.

In Congress, Pete is a senior member of the Ways and Means Committee. This Committee addresses issues of taxes, Medicare, Social Security, trade and public assistance. He serves as the Chairman of the Health Subcommittee which oversees the operation of the Medicare program as well as other important health priorities. He is also an active member of the Income Support and Family Services Subcommittee whose jurisdiction includes the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program and other family support programs.

Under Pete's chairmanship of the Health Subcommittee, the Medicare program has undergone significant reforms making the program more efficient. For example, Pete saved billions of dollars by prohibiting under-the-table kickbacks by providers while at the same time expanding benefits for beneficiaries. He was also able to pass legislation to create the COBRA health insurance continuation program that has provided extended health benefits to over 45 million people who are between jobs. And in the early days of the Clinton Administration, Pete was the only leader in Congress who was able to write and pass out of committee a universal health plan. The White House supported Pete's plan recognizing it as the best for ensuring all Americans would have the health care they needed.

Most recently, Pete authored the Children’s Health and Medicare Protection Act with Energy and Commerce Chairman John Dingell. Passed by the House, but still pending in the Senate, this bill would make vital new federal investments in the SCHIP and Medicare programs. Much of the bill’s financing came from ending massive overpayments to private plans in Medicare and reinvesting that money into Medicare improvements like mental health parity, broader preventive coverage, and increased low income support programs. In short, its goal was to reverse the undermining of the Medicare and SCHIP programs which occurred over the last decade of Republican Control of government.

Pete provides a consistent voice for tax fairness. He opposed directing the Bush tax cuts exclusively to the wealthiest Americans and is working to defeat continued attempts by Republicans to make those tax cuts permanent.

While issues related to health care, taxes and the economy are important, equally vital to Pete and to the citizens of the 13th Congressional district, are the issues of world peace, freedom of choice, education, and the environment. Pete has been a tireless advocate for children, senior citizens and people with disabilities. He stands up for workers by voting against policies like CAFTA and NPTR that hurt Bay Area workers and compromise his values regarding human rights and nonproliferation. He has been an outspoken critic of the Bush Administrations' war with Iraq since its inception and continues to call for an immediate withdrawal of our troops.

Stark is a graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) with a bachelors degree in engineering and the University of California, Berkeley with a Master's degree in Business Administration (MBA). A veteran, Stark served in the Air Force. Stark's community, church, and civic activities have included: Director, Common Cause; Chairman, Board of Trustees, Starr King School of Ministry; Board Member, Housing Development Corporation; Board Member, Council for Civic Unity, and many others.

Pete has four daughters, three sons, and eight grandchildren. He is married to Deborah Roderick Stark of San Lorenzo.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 04:59:30 PM »
Can we take this into a separate thread?  The Religious News Items section was created, in part, to host this sort of thing for the FDC.

Offline Red McWilliams

• Illuminati
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 05:11:14 PM »
I'll be typing up at least two letters tonight and mailing them out tomorrow.
Today I step into the shoes of a great man, a man by the name of Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.