Author Topic: hi [#952]  (Read 354 times)

Offline DL

hi [#952]
« on: January 19, 2009, 07:32:40 PM »

can i ask you why you do not believe n god.I promise i wont be mean or anything i just was wondering because i went to the site you have posted on your blog and well i had a anwser that would lead to god for every one of them. but forget that part was just wondering why you don't. i mean what is your strongest opinion. I like to have both sides opinions if your wondering why i care.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
Re: hi [#952]
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 08:41:23 PM »
I have seen no evidence for a god or goddess and do not accept them as real but a figment of mans creative imagination.  All gods and goddesses were created to explain past mysteries that everyday man could not explain.

For example... Thor is the God of Thunder because no one knew how thunder worked or where it came from.  So man created a powerful god who was the ruler of thunder.

Your god falls under the same guidelines.  He was created (partly constructed from other gods) to explain things in everyday life that, at the time, was unexplainable.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:41:05 PM »
can i ask you why you do not believe n god.

Sure.  The answer to your question is the one you already know.  Ask yourself this;

* Would you ask a Hindu why they don't think the Christian god God exists?

* Would you ask a Christian why they don't think the Hindu pantheon exists?

For the most part, you already know how the Hindu and the Christian would answer.  My answer would likely be the same.

I promise i wont be mean or anything i just was wondering because i went to the site you have posted on your blog and well i had a anwser that would lead to god for every one of them. but forget that part was just wondering why you don't. i mean what is your strongest opinion. I like to have both sides opinions if your wondering why i care.

Strongest opinion?  That depends entirely on the deity.  As there are tens of thousands of potential gods, to be honest nearly all of them do not interest me.

Of the deities that do have some interest to me, some are impossible.  Others are possible, however unlikely.  The most possible deity so far is the uninvolved and silent one of the deists.  While that deity does not have any positive evidence for it, it also does not contradict reality.  Unfortunately for it, though, it is also irrelevant and entirely unidentifiable as well as uninvolved.  In short; it acts exactly the same as no deity at all.

If you mean the Christian deity as it is commonly described, that one is in the impossible category.  Why?  Because it is often described as all good (omnibenevolent), all powerful (omnipotent), and all knowing (omniscient).  As these characteristics contradict reality, that deity is not possible;

The Riddle of Epicurus:

The Problem of Evil: http://www.philosophyofreligion.info/arguments-for-atheism/the-problem-of-evil

Any deity that is limited in one of those three characteristics, though, is possible.  So, if the Christian deity is not all knowing or all good or all powerful, then it is possible however unlikely.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 10:02:11 PM »
Lack of evidence.  Oh, appearing on toast does not count.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline 604ipe

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 10:46:14 PM »
God-------------invisible
Jesus Christ ----invisible
Holy Spirit-------invisible
Heaven--------- invisible
Hell-------------invisible
Satan----------invisible
Thor------------invisible
Allah------------invisible
Zeus------------invisible
Vishnu----------invisible
Apollo-----------invisible
Odin------------invisible

Notice a common theme here?

All gods have one trait in common and that is invisibleness. Glean whatever you can from this observation.

Offline gold_digging_ants

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 11:44:17 PM »
can i ask you why you do not believe n god.

Which god?  Generally, complete lack of evidence (except for Hermes, of course, he's on this forum).  I don't believe that a bottle of $100 clear, tasteless liquid that seems to be water will cure cancer unless I see scientific evidence for it. Why should I believe in claims that are (generally) even more preposterous than that?

In relation to the Christian god in particular, complete implausibility of the claims made on its behalf, immorality and inhumanity of doctrine, terrible behaviour of followers, just to name a few things.

I promise i wont be mean or anything i just was wondering because i went to the site you have posted on your blog and well i had a anwser that would lead to god for every one of them.

I've met many people who claim to be able to answer everything with their god.  But what I find, time and time again, is that they use arguments that they would never use in any other part of their lives.  They make exceptions, they break logic, they believe even though there's little or no evidence, etc.  While that might be alright for you personally, for me, rules are there for a reason (and there are no exceptions).  Furthermore, just because it's alright for you, doesn't mean that's a good reason to inflict your unsubstantiated beliefs on the rest of us (such as passing laws that are based solely on interpretations of the Bible).
But the Bible has so many uses! After all, that very thin paper is perfect for origami, for starting fires, for using as a replacement coffee filter...
A friend of mine, on Facebook chat.