Author Topic: Boston Skeptics in the Pub  (Read 597 times)

Offline Codswallop

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Cod helps those who help themselves.
Boston Skeptics in the Pub
« on: July 27, 2008, 11:57:46 PM »
I kept meaning to post this. I'll try to get these things out sooner next time. Meanwhile, the next Boston Skeptics in the Pub is tonight, Monday, July 28, 2008 at Tommy Doyle's in Harvard Square, Cambridge. Here's the total skinny which I got via the Skepchicks web site
"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."
             --Gene Wilder as The Waco Kid, Blazing Saddles

Offline truehyuga

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Back. For now.
Re: Boston Skeptics in the Pub
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 10:29:52 PM »
Dammit. I was in cambridge yesterday due to family business. I could have went!
Did you manage to go?
What you allow will always increase; good or bad.

Offline Codswallop

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 07:36:10 AM »
Dammit. I was in cambridge yesterday due to family business. I could have went!
Did you manage to go?

No. I don't drink. I'm strictly into heroin.

"Could have went?" I'm not sure you could get in with that kind of grammar. Not in Cambridge, anyway. Allston, maybe.

Lower Allston.

Where do you live, anyway (PM me if you don't want to say here.)
"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."

Offline Codswallop

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 09:34:50 AM »
Here's Skepchick Rebecca Watson's wrap-up of the Skeptics In the Pub for July. Makes me wish I had been there.

I had a blast at Boston Skeptics in the Pub last night, and I get the feeling that the 60-or-so people playing skeptical trivia had a blast as well. I’m a bit exhausted, having just come back from a Skepchick party in NYC as well, but it was totally worth it. I’d like to point out that I’m very proud of myself for using mathemagic to figure out the approximate number of attendees: 14 teams of about four people each. Go me. (It’s very early in the morning.)

For those of you who were unable to join the fun, I just wanted to call out a few of my favorite answers from last night. The first round was pretty straight-forward, and the questions got harder as we went along, forcing some teams to get creative, possibly in the hope of getting pity points. (Next time, I probably really will give bonus points for answers that make me laugh.) Here are a few from various teams (I’ve shortened the questions):

Who discovered “The Secret”?
Cheesy McSpookypants

What book was “The Secret” based upon?
Everybody Poops

What Apollo astronaut recently claimed a government cover-up concerning aliens?
This guy –> (quite well-done drawing of astronaut)

A Japanese company recently made news for doing what to sushi to improve the flavor?
Sperm

Who delivered “The Last Lecture?”
Brutus “The Barber” Beefcake

Final Question: Name That Logical Fallacy (Answer was Argumentum ad Ignorantium Ignorantiam)
Non Sequitor (next to drawing of a penguin flapping its wings)

Thanks to everyone who came out and had fun! We’re definitely going to do it again very soon. Also, if anyone else out there is hosting a regular pub night and you’d like my questions, shoot me an email and I’ll help you out.