Author Topic: reason rally 2016 Washington DC  (Read 2660 times)

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +198/-2
Re: reason rally 2016 Washington DC
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2016, 07:19:13 PM »
   I used  to work for a farmer, in the 1990s.  A lot of time field work, listening to the radio, in a tractor cab.  I would listen to NPR, Howard Stern, and Glenn Beck AM radio. I'm surprised the radio didn't explode.  :)  I liked Glenn reading Edgar Allen Poe's "Tell Tale Heart" every Halloween, or interviewing mini market employees asking them to name just one supreme court justice, or something that showed how out of touch with the world so many Americans are.  Glenn has since gone a bit off the deep end with conspiracy theories, or just generally anything outrageous to stay in the news, like most of the news has become, .................and so now Donald Trump is a nominee for president.
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +251/-32
  • I find your lack of hate disturbing.
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2016, 07:23:06 PM »
   I used  to work for a farmer, in the 1990s.  A lot of time field work, listening to the radio, in a tractor cab.  I would listen to NPR, Howard Stern, and Glenn Beck AM radio. I'm surprised the radio didn't explode.  :)  I liked Glenn reading Edgar Allen Poe's "Tell Tale Heart" every Halloween, or interviewing mini market employees asking them to name just one supreme court justice, or something that showed how out of touch with the world so many Americans are.  Glenn has since gone a bit off the deep end with conspiracy theories, or just generally anything outrageous to stay in the news, like most of the news has become, .................and so now Donald Trump is a nominee for president.

I think perhaps you haven't listened to The Glenn Beck Program very recently. He still has his "conspiracy" theories but for the most part he is no deeper now than he was then. Can't blame Trump's ascendancy on Beck unless you are arguing that by criticizing Trump and supporting Cruz, Beck has somehow given Trump legitimacy.
When I criticize political parties or candidates, I am not criticizing you. If I criticize you, there will be no doubt in your mind as to what I am saying.

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +198/-2
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2016, 07:25:40 PM »
Just wondering where America will stop, selling it's soul to outrageous. Guess we all see what we want to see.
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1864/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2016, 07:32:02 PM »
I am still trying to get why "science is based on unproven assumptions" is not basically saying that science is made-up crap that does not work. What are these "unproven assumptions" that supposedly snatch the rug out from under all of science, leaving the bible or something like that instead?

Religion never throws out the original assumptions, no matter how often they fail to hold up in practice. Religious people just make up a reason why the assumptions still hold, even when they can't be proven. There is this feedback loop with science where you test your assumptions and if they don't hold up, you throw them out and make new ones. Not so with religion.

If some science principle--like germ theory--works when you apply it, well, that kinda demonstrates that the assumptions it is based on--that there are these tiny things called germs that we cannot see but that make us sick-- are proven. You do stuff that kills the tiny germs and people don't get sick anymore.

You keep everything else the same and just kill the germs. You can pray or not, do a healing dance or not, shake magic bones over the sick person or not. None of that will work as well as killing the germs. And then your assumptions are proven. Because it works. That is called science. You see.

We examine something and try to understand it and ask questions about it and develop tests and try stuff and if it works, we develop ideas about why and then we see if that works and so on.

Et voila, cell phones and dental implants and computers and malaria drugs and fish farms and open heart surgery and wart treatments and cloning and birth control pills and refrigerators and DNA analysis and space stations. And smart public policy based on science instead of magic.

That is how things go here on this planet. Not sure how things are done wherever BS is from.... :?
When all of Cinderella's finery changed back at midnight, why didn't the shoes disappear? What's up with that?