Author Topic: Jesus and amputees [#939]  (Read 359 times)

Offline DL

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
Jesus and amputees [#939]
« on: January 17, 2009, 07:44:58 PM »

My wife is a fundenmentalist Christian and I asked her why won't God heal Amputee's she replied that she saw a show where an amputee could do anything a normal person could do. It never seems to fail, the religious people are best at creating excuses.

[name]

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Jesus and amputees [#939]
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 07:50:12 PM »
she would probably feel different about a eunuch.

Offline Inactive_1

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +10/-2
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 07:54:10 PM »
My wife is a fundenmentalist Christian and I asked her why won't God heal Amputee's she replied that she saw a show where an amputee could do anything a normal person could do.

How?

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 07:54:37 PM »

My wife is a fundenmentalist Christian and I asked her why won't God heal Amputee's she replied that she saw a show where an amputee could do anything a normal person could do. It never seems to fail, the religious people are best at creating excuses.

[name]

Well I'd like to see a one legged man win a butt kicking contest. :D
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline gold_digging_ants

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 07:57:56 PM »

[name]

I'm sorry, I shouldn't say this about your wife, but what a cow.  What a cold, insensitive, selfish thing to say.  It's alright for them not to have their limbs, because I'm doing just fine and obviously God still loves everyone?

People like that make me sick.
But the Bible has so many uses! After all, that very thin paper is perfect for origami, for starting fires, for using as a replacement coffee filter...
A friend of mine, on Facebook chat.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 09:55:44 PM »

For what it is worth, you are not alone.  Fundamentalism inflicts a few of the spouses of people in the forums here.

Also, to confirm what you probably think already, her answer doesn't really address the question being raised.

If you want to come to the forums, you are quite welcome.  I don't know if you will get any practical answers, though talking sometimes helps.

There are a few other places that can be recommended if you are interested.  Off hand, here is one place to go to (even if you've never been a Christian yourself);

http://exchristian.net
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer