Author Topic: Proposing merging Topics/Zones  (Read 765 times)

Offline PingTheServer

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Devil's Advocate
Proposing merging Topics/Zones
« on: January 18, 2009, 12:14:40 AM »
I really do like reading what's here, but there are so many topics its hard to go through everything that I think is relevant.

Typically when I have a few minutes to sit down and read the site, I go through these topics in the Religious Discussion Zone:

General Religious Discussion
Science
Questions and debates

By the time I sift through those 3, I need to be getting up.  It would be awesome if some of the other zones and topics were merged in to give us a smaller area to have to sift through for good reading.

I propose having only two zones:
Religious Discussion Zone
Information Zone

Religious Discussion Zone would consist of:
General Religious Discussion (merge Questions and Debates, Religion and Society, Introduce Yourself, Testimonials)
Science
Politics, News, and Religion (new name from merged Politics and Religion, Religion in the News)
Mailbag
Reviews

Information Zone would consist of:
Announcements
Suggestions and Feedback
Local Communities

If we had a setup similar to that, I think less threads would be lost in the weeds, and the site would be more active overall.

Just my opinion.

Offline gold_digging_ants

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: Proposing merging Topics/Zones
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 12:21:12 AM »
I think testimonials is good separate, and introduce yourself- it gives people a safe (theoretically) place to express themselves.  As for the rest, I'm not sure.  I certainly think the mailbag should remain separate.  (I tend to read unread posts, and read or at least look at the page to mark them as read.  Helps me keep track of new material)
But the Bible has so many uses! After all, that very thin paper is perfect for origami, for starting fires, for using as a replacement coffee filter...
A friend of mine, on Facebook chat.

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 05:00:35 AM »
Ping,

The problem with having fewer boards as you suggest is that - all other things being equal - this would mean that either (a) each board would end up with far more threads in it (thus making the threads that you are interested in harder to find), or (b) some threads would end up off-topic altogether (thus making this a less interesting forum for others).

We are reviewing the forum structure and are taking all suggestions on board, but I can't say I'd be in favour of such a stripped-down forum as that which you propose.

Thirteen
Inactive moderator account.

Offline PingTheServer

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Devil's Advocate
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 03:29:28 PM »
No problem, just wanted to get my opinion out there.  For the amount of time i can spend here, things seem to be a little spread out, so i dont read a number of worthy threads, thought maybe others had the same thought process...just wanted to convey that.  You guys do a great job.

Offline Whitney

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Happy Atheist
    • Happy Atheist Forum
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »
I just click on the "Show new replies to your posts." when I first log on.  After reading those I click on "Show unread posts since last visit."  It's a lot easier than wading through the sections unless you've been gone for a long time.

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 06:40:30 PM »
I just click on the "Show new replies to your posts." when I first log on.  After reading those I click on "Show unread posts since last visit."  It's a lot easier than wading through the sections unless you've been gone for a long time.

Ditto.

My only issue with "Show new replies to your posts" is that if you once post on a thread, you're stuck forever, even if it develops into a Bottomless-Pit-worthy tarbaby. :(  Fortunately that hasn't happened to me since WWGHA 2.0 began.  Maybe I've learned to stay away from certain topics...
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline Inactive_A

• Reader
  • Darwins +5/-3
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 08:44:02 PM »
We have looked at several mods that would let you unsubscribe from threads.  Sadly they have either proven to be incompatible or for other versions of SMF.

Offline Whitney

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Happy Atheist
    • Happy Atheist Forum
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 09:29:15 PM »
We have looked at several mods that would let you unsubscribe from threads.  Sadly they have either proven to be incompatible or for other versions of SMF.

Have you tried posting a request on the SMF forums for the mod author to tweak his/her existing mod to work with this forum?  Sometimes if a lot of people chime in saying they also want it the mod's author's ego kicks in and s/he fixes it to work with the newer versions.

That would be a very helpful mod.  It would also be nice to be able to choose to exclude some of the boards from the show topics since last visit list.

Offline Inactive_1

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +10/-2
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 09:33:25 PM »
Have you looked under Notifications and email under your profile? You can manage notifications to subscribed topics there.

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 09:38:24 PM »
email notifications aren't the same as "Show new replies".  Posting in a thread doesn't really "subscribe" you.  I'm thinking it simply sets a flag that says you're in it, so you can see new replies.  The only way I know of to not see new replies is to delete all your posts from the thread - a less than optimal solution.  I'm not sure what an "unsubscribe" option would do.  Would it delete your posts from that thread?  That wouldn't be good.
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline Inactive_A

• Reader
  • Darwins +5/-3
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 01:09:27 AM »
No, if we find one, it will be one that simply allows you to stop having that thread show up in your "show new replies" list.
Certainly a feature that deleted posts would not be something that we would want.

Offline PingTheServer

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Devil's Advocate
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 09:29:59 PM »

I tried to do that when I first started, since it was an interesting feature I had not seen before.

I have found though, that to see what has been responded to...it was better to go to my profile, then click "show last posts by this person", and open what threads I want in new tabs.

That is great, but it only gets me half way home to my problem of all the threads being spread all over the place.  It still doesnt help put them in a few areas for first time reading.

Perhaps consolidating topics could be done based on the activity of that topic...since overuse seemed to be a concern.