Author Topic: The Gender of God  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Void

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
The Gender of God
« on: July 30, 2008, 09:34:07 AM »

In another topic, I posed the following:

What makes you think god is a HE? If god is a HE than that assumes god belongs to a phenomenon that is subject to genders. Meaning, there are or should be entities of equal "power" that are SHE. And that would assume sexual reproduction (of god(s)), because asexual does not require genders....

Thought it perhaps merits a topic of its own.
--There are greater idiots than those interpreting the bible literally to prove god. Those interpreting the bible literally to deny god.

Offline StPatrick

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • The patron saint of WWGHA
Re: The Gender of God
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 09:37:48 AM »
Catholic morality teacher taught that God was "Masculine," not "male."

Must be "God the Father," and the fact that women were just generally not liked in those days by those people.
If we come together and do not fight over religion, class and borders then we hold the key to a peaceful world. There are two possible futures in store; either a March of power and greed or a March of a unified human race.

Offline Void

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 09:48:55 AM »

That does not change my postulate since "masculine" also assumes gender (as opposed to "feminine").
--There are greater idiots than those interpreting the bible literally to prove god. Those interpreting the bible literally to deny god.

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 09:53:23 AM »
God is any sex you want him/her/it to be.
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline Codswallop

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Cod helps those who help themselves.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 09:55:15 AM »
God HAS a tool, or God IS a tool. I'm good either way.
"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."
             --Gene Wilder as The Waco Kid, Blazing Saddles

Offline LiL aNgEl

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 10:59:21 PM »
Of course god is a male. Why do you think Jesus was a man? And why was Adam created first? If you think about it, its actually quite obvious.

Offline Ananukia

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I wear no mask.
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 11:02:37 PM »
Of course god is a male. Why do you think Jesus was a man? And why was Adam created first? If you think about it, its actually quite obvious.

So god has a penis, does he slap people with it?
        Songs that the Hyades shall sing,
    Where flap the tatters of the King,
    Must die unheard in

Dim Carcosa.

Offline Codswallop

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Cod helps those who help themselves.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
What about a Y chromosome? Does "he" have one of those? I do, and I'm made in his image, so....Or do I have it wrong? In what sense is God "male?"

(Wow. If God has a penis, it must be HUGE.)
"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."
             --Gene Wilder as The Waco Kid, Blazing Saddles

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 10:06:04 AM »

Why does a being that has always existed require reproductive organs?
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

wheels5894

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 10:52:58 AM »

Why does a being that has always existed require reproductive organs?

Best guess on this one is Hebrew. 'Elohim (god(s)) is masculine only because there are only 2 genders in Hebrew and I guess the idea carried on. So I don't think Judaeo-Christian Theology is really as keen on maleness as suggested above and, of course, the church is very hung up on sexual matters and would forbid the if it could (except for priests of course!) Maybe another thread on this one sometime.

Of course, if it turned out he did have a willy - wow thast would make us all feel small!  ;D

Offline benji

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 11:31:38 AM »
Since god is only a figment of people's imagination, it can be anything the aforementioned people imagine it to be. 

wheels5894

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 12:09:46 PM »
Since god is only a figment of people's imagination, it can be anything the aforementioned people imagine it to be. 

Good point.  ;D

Offline tomthecool

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 01:03:03 PM »
Isn't the answer obvious? God is male because men are superior to women, and since God is perfect there can be nothing superior to him.

;D
Some say I am the cool Tom... others wouldn't.

wheels5894

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 02:00:41 PM »
I wouldn't want to suggest that to my wife - she might slaughter me!

Offline johno

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 02:46:55 PM »
Primitive people with no understanding of anisogamy ascribe the masculine gender to the sex that produces the smaller gamete. In the birds, the sex that produces the smaller gamete is the one with xx chromosomes. Cockerels, vainglorious, showy, aggressive, masculine individuals, are, in terms of mammals, the females. In the birds, the possessors of the xy chromosomes lay the eggs, stay at home, and look after the babies. Naturally, primitive Palestinians were more impressed with vainglorious, showy, aggressive characters, and noting in their own societies that the noisiest, most aggressive, and stupidest individuals were males, naturally ascribed the masculine gender to the great big (fictional) individual in the sky. The sex of the Holy Ghost is not in doubt since it inseminated Mary by whispering in her ear 'Honest, Dad, nothing happened: he whispered in my ear and . . .' Well, if you believe that, you'll believe anything. I have a solid gold brick for sale, just for theists. Let me know your offers, it is going cheap.

johno

Mathilador

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 12:17:11 AM »
Um, no, you guys have father problems

go get some tissues for those issues

Offline spider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ATT ambassador
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 12:56:58 AM »
Gender and sex are two different things.  Yahweh is engendered as male, but does not necessarily have a sex, for the reason rightly pointed out that Yahweh generally doesn't directly involve himself in sexual reproduction,  even if he does partake in Immaculate Conceptions. 

They imagine that the persona of this god is male.  That seems like evidence for SPAG - anthropomorphisation.  In a patriarchal society, the literate ones, the ones with influence and who would write these scriptures, would all be males and would have difficulty visualising a persona that wasn't male, especially one embued with the powers that Yahweh has.  Yahweh is the ultimate king, a reflection of their own earthly monarchs, and so the language used around him should sound like referring to a king, especially if they were henotheists who chose Yahweh out of a whole pantheon of gods and goddesses, like an elected monarch (if there is such a thing) or a king who has seized power from other competitors.  It illustrates well the relationship between gender and class, I think.

johno touched on it well.  I guess it would do with the Ancient Jewish paradigm of gender, with masculinity being the forthright, powerful gender, while femininity is subjugated, distrusted and more fragile. 

I do think that it has some tie-in with language, though, as well.  I remember something about the Hebrew word for the presence of god being feminine.  Perhaps it's just a case of engendered nouns, which seems strange to the English languageer wom.   Because the nouns are gendered, the pronouns must agree with that, so directly translating the masculine "it" would seem the same as saying "he".  I don't know much about Hebrew pronouns, so someone is going to have to jump in here and help...  anyone?

I think I remember kcrady talking about how there originally was a  goddess counterpart to Yahweh who was usurped from power due to patriarchal political agendas.

Offline AFadly

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • Islam is the ONLY proven religion
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 07:05:00 AM »
God is neither male or female
As it is proved that he is unique

Offline corkscrew

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 07:51:50 AM »
Jesus must have been gay....he loved going to weddings....and drinking wine at parties...and all of his friends were guys....Oh, he was SO gay.

Offline AFadly

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-1
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 08:16:08 AM »
Jesus must have been gay....he loved going to weddings....and drinking wine at parties...and all of his friends were guys....Oh, he was SO gay.
Jesus was one of the most humble, truthful, honest men ever created
He never drink wine, or go to parties

Christian imagine that to allow themselves to sin carelessly

Offline benji

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 02:30:03 PM »
Jesus was one of the most humble, truthful, honest men ever created by mankind

Christian imagine that to allow themselves to sin carelessly

Fixed.

Offline essgeeskee

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 03:45:09 AM »

Correct!! He never did those things because he didn't exist!!

Please tell me you're only kidding. You say this with so much conviction. How could you possibly know if someone never drank wine or went to a party? You make it seem like you have an entire documentary of his life. I mean, if you know he never drank, I assume you know how many times a day he urinated too, that's if he even existed.
"Follow your intuition!"

Offline AFadly

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-1
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 05:10:38 AM »

Please tell me you're only kidding. You say this with so much conviction. How could you possibly know if someone never drank wine or went to a party? You make it seem like you have an entire documentary of his life.
Surprisingly, I can prove it as well
Every thing I believe in can be proven 100%

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • My name's Dan, ignore the crap username :)
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 06:06:55 AM »
This whole thing just simply backs up the contradictions amongst religion :)
Our freedom's consuming itself.

Offline AFadly

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-1
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 06:23:44 AM »
This whole thing just simply backs up the contradictions amongst religion :)
Every thread in the forum go back to the issue of proving religion

Offline benji

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 06:28:31 AM »

Please tell me you're only kidding. You say this with so much conviction. How could you possibly know if someone never drank wine or went to a party? You make it seem like you have an entire documentary of his life.
Surprisingly, I can prove it as well
Every thing I believe in can be proven 100%

We're all waiting anxiously.

Offline AFadly

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-1
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 06:51:12 AM »

Offline benji

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 07:31:49 AM »
Proving Allah
All you've proven is that your parents did an excellent job of brainwashing you.  The only real proof of  allah or any deity would be for that deity to present itself in person to the whole world.   Anything other than this is just the over-active imagination of people who wish it existed.   Afadly...do yourself a favor and get over this fantasy before you're tempted to do something that will get you into islamic heaven with those 72 virgins that you are promised.

Offline AFadly

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-1
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 08:28:27 AM »
Proving Allah
All you've proven is that your parents did an excellent job of brainwashing you.  The only real proof of  allah or any deity would be for that deity to present itself in person to the whole world.   Anything other than this is just the over-active imagination of people who wish it existed.   Afadly...do yourself a favor and get over this fantasy before you're tempted to do something that will get you into islamic heaven with those 72 virgins that you are promised.
Your lack of understanding is amazing
The proved Model of God, can not be seen (in this world by our eyes)

The only refutation of my proof is to bring another logical model (of another God or no God), other than that it is proved