Author Topic: Help with Profile settings....  (Read 863 times)

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
Help with Profile settings....
« on: January 05, 2009, 03:01:05 PM »
Hi,

Would someone tell me how to disable the e-mail option ?

ie how to remove the envelope symbol that appears on the left ?

thanks.

Gnu.

Offline Inactive_A

• Reader
  • Darwins +5/-3
Re: Help with Profile settings....
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 04:38:24 PM »
You can hide your email from other members, but it will always be visible to you.
By default the forum 'italicizes' hidden addresses.  If yours is italicized it should be hidden from other members.

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 06:52:30 PM »
I'm sorry, AdminA, I still don't understand...

It's not simply a matter of hiding my e-mail address - I want to disable the option for anyone to even send me an e-mail.

ie in the Members' List the third field is entitled "E-mail" - that box for each member is either empty or contains an envelope.

The box against my name contains an envelope.

(The box against your name doesn't.)

How do I change mine  ?

Thanks.

Gnu.

(PS Would someone, anyone,  please click on the envelope under my name on the left, and tell me whether you can see my e-mail address in the "To" field ? )

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 07:01:12 PM by Gnu Ordure »

Offline Vynn

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • 1st an infidel, then a heretic, now an atheist!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 10:35:19 PM »
I don't see any envelopes, and your e-mail is hidden from view.

Offline Inactive_A

• Reader
  • Darwins +5/-3
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 10:44:21 PM »
I'm sorry, AdminA, I still don't understand...

It's not simply a matter of hiding my e-mail address - I want to disable the option for anyone to even send me an e-mail.
ie in the Members' List the third field is entitled "E-mail" - that box for each member is either empty or contains an envelope.
The box against my name contains an envelope.
(The box against your name doesn't.)
How do I change mine  ?

Your email is hidden from view.
You can always see your own information.

When you receive a PM the forum software autoforwards that to you. 
You can disable that if you prefer.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 10:59:20 PM »
Here's what I see (copy paste of Profile, with emphasis added);

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=1194

Summary - Gnu Ordure     Picture/Text
Name:    Gnu Ordure
Position:    Novice
Date Registered:    Yesterday at 08:36:38 PM
Last Active:    Today at 09:20:00 PM
MSN:    
YIM:    
Email:    hidden
Current Status:    Offline Offline   [Add To Buddy List]
Local Time:    January 06, 2009, 03:56:47 AM
Language:    
Signature:

Additional Information:
Send this member a personal message.

Show the last posts of this person.
Show general statistics for this member.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Antony

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 08:42:36 PM »
Hi AdminA, (and Vynn and Hermes),

Gnu here.

Thanks for trying to help.

I'm slightly less confused by this.

I've just created this other account (which I won't use again, AdminA, as I know it's against the rules), so I could see what you're all seeing.

And now I'm logged on as someone else, I see that the envelope under the gnu avatar has now disappeared.

Which is what I wanted.

So the only thing I don't understand is why the envelope appears when I'm logged on as Gnu - apparently no-one else can see it, and the only thing I can use it for is to send an e-mail to myself (which has rather limited applicability).

Seems a bit odd.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 09:41:19 PM »
I agree.  Welcome to the wonderful world of SMF and the PHP security mind set.  (I'm guessing from your user name -- Gnu -- that you're some kind of OSS techie and this may mean something to you.)

Recommendation; live with it or report the bug to SMF.  Check the logs to see if this issue was corrected in some pre-release version (1.1.7 looks to be the current non-beta release; 2.0 is the next major release).
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 10:08:42 PM »
So you think it's a bug, Hermes ?

When my computer doesn't behave, 99 times out of a 100 it's because there's something wrong with what I'm doing, not with the computer.

Maybe not here, though.

I'll leave it to the admins to report it, if they agree - and if they want to, of course.

I'm guessing from your user name -- Gnu -- that you're some kind of OSS techie and this may mean something to you.

Heh-heh.

Not quite.

At the time I was registering for the site,  I happened to be listening to some music by one of my favourite rock bands - and the pun suggested itself.

Though funnily enough, 20 years ago I did program computers for a living, until I got bored with them.

Thanks for your help.

Gnu.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 10:11:21 PM by Gnu Ordure »

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 11:34:26 PM »
So you think it's a bug, Hermes ?

I'd guess: a design defect.  Someone may even have a reason for the behavior, or it may be an artifact of other security considerations.

When my computer doesn't behave, 99 times out of a 100 it's because there's something wrong with what I'm doing, not with the computer.

Maybe not here, though.

I'll leave it to the admins to report it, if they agree - and if they want to, of course.

I'm guessing from your user name -- Gnu -- that you're some kind of OSS techie and this may mean something to you.

Heh-heh.

Not quite.

At the time I was registering for the site,  I happened to be listening to some music by one of my favourite rock bands - and the pun suggested itself.

Though funnily enough, 20 years ago I did program computers for a living, until I got bored with them.

Thanks for your help.

Gnu.

Got it.  (I've never seen anyone outside of a biologist/zoologist use 'Gnu' for anything if it wasn't related to software.)

FWIW: The admins here probably won't report it.  The focus isn't on software support but running the forum.  If you want to brush up some of those old skills, send Simple Machines a message.  They will appreciate it (likely after cussing '@#$@#$ MISSED THAT!').

Offline Inactive_A

• Reader
  • Darwins +5/-3
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 01:23:17 AM »
It's not a bug, just a poor design.

You will always have access to your own information, which is why you can see your own email.
Unfortunately once in your profile, the only indicator that you have that it is hidden, other than having selected hidden as an option, is that it is italicized.