Author Topic: Lawsuit seeks to take 'so help me God' out of inaugural  (Read 665 times)

Offline Inactive_1

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +10/-2
Lawsuit seeks to take 'so help me God' out of inaugural
« on: December 31, 2008, 02:35:52 PM »
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A number of atheists and non-religious organizations want Barack Obama's inauguration ceremony to leave out all references to God and religion.

In a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Washington, the plaintiffs demand that the words "so help me God" not be added to the end of the president's oath of office. In addition, the lawsuit objects to plans for ministers to deliver an invocation and a benediction in which they may discuss God and religion. An advance copy of the lawsuit was posted online by Michael Newdow, a California doctor and lawyer who has filed similar and unsuccessful suits over inauguration ceremonies in 2001 and 2005.

Joining Newdow in the suit are groups advocating religious freedom or atheism, including the American Humanist Association, the Freedom from Religion Foundation and atheist groups from Minnesota; Seattle, Washington; and Florida. The new lawsuit says in part, "There can be no purpose for placing 'so help me God' in an oath or sponsoring prayers to God, other than promoting the particular point of view that God exists."

Newdow said references to God during inauguration ceremonies violate the Constitution's ban on the establishment of religion.  Newdow and other plaintiffs say they want to watch the inaugural either in person or on television. As atheists, they contend, having to watch a ceremony with religious components will make them feel excluded and stigmatized.

"Plaintiffs are placed in the untenable position of having to choose between not watching the presidential inauguration or being forced to countenance endorsements of purely religious notions that they expressly deny," according to the lawsuit.

More Here

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
Re: Lawsuit seeks to take 'so help me God' out of inaugural
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 03:20:10 PM »
I think I've found Dr. Newdow's mailing address, for the FDC.

Mike Newdow
PO Box 233345
Sacramento CA 95823

Offline Inactive_1

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +10/-2
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 05:32:29 PM »
I'm going to send $5 and I think I'll invite him to the forum also.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +99/-1
  • IXNAY
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 09:27:42 PM »
If I remember correctly, the presidential oath of office does not have "so help me god." at the end.  The president-elect may choose to have it added at the end if he/she wishes. That makes it a personal choice which gets around the separation of church and state issue.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 09:33:37 PM »
You're right, it does not.

Still, if Michael Newdow came to visit the forum, that'd be cool.
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline kevyrat69

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • oh rats.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 10:49:26 PM »
Well I'm sure the ministers won't be taken out and I think the only reason Obama might say it is because he knows the voters are mostly Christian.  I think maybe I will help the guy out too.  That is bravery and honesty at it's highest.
http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/

whatever people are experiencing when they experience God, it's not something they're perceiving in the external world. It's something their brains are making up.
Greta Christina

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
Still, if Michael Newdow came to visit the forum, that'd be cool.

It would be cooler if he stayed.