Author Topic: "God is Imaginary" [#848]  (Read 496 times)

Offline DL

"God is Imaginary" [#848]
« on: December 24, 2008, 10:13:27 PM »

I respect every persons' beliefs, but i just want you to explain something to me- if God is imaginary, how was the earth created? How was Noah told to build the ark? How was Jesus born?????????

I don't mean to offend you or anybody else, but i just want an answer.
Thank You

Offline StPatrick

• Reader
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • The patron saint of WWGHA
Re: "God is Imaginary" [#848]
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 10:37:46 PM »
how was the earth created?

Big Bang.  What created that, we don't know.  Doesn't mean Goddidit.

How was Noah told to build the ark?

There was no flood, and no Ark.  Deny it all you like, but it's true.

How was Jesus born?????????

By purely normal means, if a historical Jesus existed at all.

i just want an answer.

Will the above do?
If we come together and do not fight over religion, class and borders then we hold the key to a peaceful world. There are two possible futures in store; either a March of power and greed or a March of a unified human race.

Offline Tails_155

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • L!5
    • The Enigma Puzzle
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 11:20:38 PM »
StPatrick: yes :3 lol
Live! Learn! Laugh! Love! Lead!

I'm not all analysis, I like art, too: See?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 11:27:18 PM »
St Pat just gave the a rational answer.  +1 St Pat.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Tails_155

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • L!5
    • The Enigma Puzzle
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 11:29:02 PM »
yup :3

in fact, as I've said before (the translation isn't up yet :( not until July 2009...) the original version of the bible had no mention of virgin birth nor resurrection
Live! Learn! Laugh! Love! Lead!

I'm not all analysis, I like art, too: See?

Offline gold_digging_ants

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 11:29:32 PM »

I respect every persons' beliefs, but i just want you to explain something to me- if God is imaginary, how was the earth created? How was Noah told to build the ark? How was Jesus born?????????

I don't mean to offend you or anybody else, but i just want an answer.
Thank You

if God is imaginary, how was the earth created?

You assume it was created.  Try again.

How was Noah told to build the ark?

Why do you assume that Noah was told to build an ark?  You have to believe the Bible in order to assume that story was true.  I believe that Noah existed in the same way that I believe that Herakles existed and fought monsters.

How was Jesus born?????????

Jesus was an extremely common name during that time.  For every boy born called Jesus during the reign of Augustus, his parents had sex, the sperm fertilised the egg, the pregnancy continued relatively smoothly, his mother went into labour, she went through much pain, and a baby came out.
But the Bible has so many uses! After all, that very thin paper is perfect for origami, for starting fires, for using as a replacement coffee filter...
A friend of mine, on Facebook chat.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 11:55:38 PM »
I want you to know that while I am considerate towards other people's beliefs, I do not automatically respect them.  Neither should you.

Respect is earned.  Courtesy and consideration is granted till someone acts in such a way as to merit it being revoked.

In your reply, you mentioned Noah.  Do you think -- really think not just believe -- that the world was once flooded completely as described in the Genesis section of your religious book? 

If so, then I have to say that I do not respect that opinion as it is without merit and does not speak to noble ideals in the abstract let alone any facts from history.

If you disagree, and you think you are able to show support that is good enough to lift the story from absurd to a reasonable possibility to a non-Christian, then come to the forums and state your case.  If you come and only assert that the story must be correct because your religious book says it is correct, then do not come.  You will be wasting your time and the time of all non-Christians who make an effort to remain courteous and civil while they can not strain enough to gain any real respect.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer