Author Topic: 10 answers [#840]  (Read 450 times)

Offline DL

10 answers [#840]
« on: December 22, 2008, 08:35:35 AM »

1. How can (doctors) believe in medical miracles, and how can most Christians believe in the healing power of prayer when it is obvious that God does not answer the prayers of the amputee?

God's purpose in prayer is for us to get to know who he is and his holiness rather than to get God to do our bidding. Humans are imperfect, and as such, God knows better than we do what is best.
Think about it this way, people who are amputees may have lost their legs, but with that they can gain so much. Many of the strongest, kindest, and bravest people I know have mental and physical disabilities, but their lives aren't worse because of what they can't do or don't have.

2. Why are there so many starving people in our world?

God could be answering their prayers by allowing them to live an eternal life with him in Heaven.

3. Why does God demand the death of so many innocent people in the Bible? Look up these verses:
- Exodus 35:2 – God demands that we kill everyone who works on the Sabbath day.
- Deuteronomy 21:18-21 – God demands that we kill disobedient teenagers.

- Leviticus 20:13 – God demands the death of homosexuals.

- Deuteronomy 22:13-21 – God demands that we kill girls who are not virgins when they marry.

Most Christians don't interpret the Bible 100% literally. You shouldn't either. It's not that we should kill these people, but I think that these things are all morally wrong in God's eyes.

4. Why does the bible contain some much Anti-Scientific Nonsense?

God, by definition, is omnipotent. Therefore, if you believe in God, you must believe that he can do anything, regardless of what mere humans believe is possible or not. Nothing to do with the Bible.

5. Why is God such a huge proponent of slavery in the Bible? Look up these Bible verses:

He isn't. Remember the Pharaoh enslaving the Jews? Well, Moses lead them out of Egypt and they got their own nation. He wouldn't have let that happen if he liked slavery.

6. Why do bad things happen to good people?

Because life isn't perfect. If it was, we would already be in heaven. When bad things happen, there is good in it. we learn, we grow, we mature, we have new experiences. Sometimes the worst things, like drug addiction can lead to finding Christ, and overcoming your disease. In this way, I think God does heal so many people. If you are a good person, you will spend eternity in heaven, the ultimate "good thing".

7. Why didn’t Jesus’ Miracles In The Bible Leave Behind Any Evidence?

There would be no faith.

8. How Do we explain the fact that Jesus Has never Appeared to you?

Jesus is with me every day. He is the only person who will always love you no matter what you do or who you are.

9. Why does Jesus Want you to eat his body and drink his Blood?

Not all Christians believe that the body and blood of Jesus Christ are present in the Eucharist. As someone who does not have an opinion either way, I can't answer.

10. Christians get divorced at the same rate as non-christians.

God gave people free will. I mean, look at you. You can blaspheme all you want, and God won't intervene. Just because Marriage is sacred doesn't mean that people have to honor it. All people (even Christians) break other commandments, because people are fallible. If we weren't we would be omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent.... we would be God himself.

Offline GotMooo

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: 10 answers [#840]
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 09:49:48 AM »
2. Why are there so many starving people in our world?

God could be answering their prayers by allowing them to live an eternal life with him in Heaven.

Wow!  How long did it take you to come up with that rationalization?  It's very inconsistent, and poorly thought out.

3. Why does God demand the death of so many innocent people in the Bible? Look up these verses:
- Exodus 35:2 – God demands that we kill everyone who works on the Sabbath day.
- Deuteronomy 21:18-21 – God demands that we kill disobedient teenagers.

- Leviticus 20:13 – God demands the death of homosexuals.

- Deuteronomy 22:13-21 – God demands that we kill girls who are not virgins when they marry.

Most Christians don't interpret the Bible 100% literally. You shouldn't either. It's not that we should kill these people, but I think that these things are all morally wrong in God's eyes.

Then you agree that your God is a radical?  Why should one trust in a perfect being, if we won't follow what they say, with everything.

5. Why is God such a huge proponent of slavery in the Bible? Look up these Bible verses:

He isn't. Remember the Pharaoh enslaving the Jews? Well, Moses lead them out of Egypt and they got their own nation. He wouldn't have let that happen if he liked slavery.

I suggest you read your bible more.  God didn't want his "chosen people" to be enslaved.  The God of the Jews only wanted people who weren't Jews, to be slaves.  Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT "However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you.  You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land.  You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance.  You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way."  Of course there must have been a very good reason right?  I don't think so.  Even Jesus didn't say slavery was wrong.  He in fact, encouraged it.  Ephesians 6:5 NLT "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear.  Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ."
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 09:53:23 AM by GotMooo »

Offline gold_digging_ants

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 07:48:19 PM »

This has already been answered, but it's worth pointing out that God, as depicted in this story, did not like his own people being enslaved.  GotMooo has quoted verses that show God/ Jesus endorsing and/ or regulating slavery.  Herodotus argues that Greeks are not fit to be enslaved, presumably Jews felt that their enslavement was not appropriate, because they viewed themselves as 'special', like Herodotus viewed the Greeks.  God stepped in and showed favouritism, and then slavery continued, and continued to be endorsed.
But the Bible has so many uses! After all, that very thin paper is perfect for origami, for starting fires, for using as a replacement coffee filter...
A friend of mine, on Facebook chat.

Offline GotMooo

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 01:29:21 AM »
7. Why didn’t Jesus’ Miracles In The Bible Leave Behind Any Evidence?

There would be no faith.

If faith is so important, then explain to me why 1 Kings 18 contradicts the faith argument.

8. How Do we explain the fact that Jesus Has never Appeared to you?

Jesus is with me every day. He is the only person who will always love you no matter what you do or who you are.

That's okay.  But I prefer to not have imaginary friends.  I do understand though, if that is all you got.  (No sarcasm is intended)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 01:32:20 AM by GotMooo »

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 12:32:36 PM »

1. How can (doctors) believe in medical miracles, and how can most Christians believe in the healing power of prayer when it is obvious that God does not answer the prayers of the amputee?

God's purpose in prayer is for us to get to know who he is and his holiness rather than to get God to do our bidding. Humans are imperfect, and as such, God knows better than we do what is best.
Think about it this way, people who are amputees may have lost their legs, but with that they can gain so much. Many of the strongest, kindest, and bravest people I know have mental and physical disabilities, but their lives aren't worse because of what they can't do or don't have.

Please ask an amputee if their lives aren't worse.  What exactly do they gain?  Stump sores?  Dealing with places not convenient to the disabled?

This sounds like the "amputees are so insiprational" garbage.

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline singlecrochet

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 03:45:24 PM »

And yet, his love seems VERY conditional to me.  If you don't believe in him on pure faith and the fact that you were born into the right culture and taught the right religion, he will NOT love you.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."
Thomas Paine

"P.S. I pray God sees to it that you get presents this year." - Deelvrd