Author Topic: Christians at my door  (Read 85 times)

Online LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +244/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Christians at my door
« on: December 06, 2018, 04:49:32 PM »
Two young men just came to my door.  They wanted to share with me an "uplifting video about Jesus Christ" or some such thing.  I don't know which brand of Christians they were.  They didn't identify themselves as part of any particular sect.  I just told them "No, thank you."  I don't know why I felt the need to be polite or why I didn't say I am an atheist.  The thought did cross my mind.  I think I just could not be bothered to argue with them if they were so inclined.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline jdawg70

• Administrator
  • Darwins +1095/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
Re: Christians at my door
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 05:07:10 PM »
I don't know why I felt the need to be polite or why I didn't say I am an atheist.  The thought did cross my mind.  I think I just could not be bothered to argue with them if they were so inclined.

Well, it's the common courtesy reflex I imagine. And not really a bad thing.

Had they dismissed your 'no thank you', or at least if they had tried to push a little more (i.e. if they had said "no, really, you ought to see this video about Jesus"), do you think you would have felt more inclined to risk arguing with them?

I haven't had door-to-door evangelizing happen to me in a few years. But, argumentative and asshole-ish as I am, I too would be remiss to start having a discussion or argument with peeps who just show up at my door; pretty good chance I'd simply not be in the mood to make that kind of cognitive commitment on the spot.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 05:09:40 PM »
It's entirely your call how you handle such things. I don't bring up my atheism in front of strangers unless I'm specifically asked about my religious beliefs, in part for the same reasons you gave.

Seems a bit of a red flag that they weren't specific about what sect they identified with; that could indicate they were from a group that has an unfavorable or unpopular reputation. Were they selling the video, or did they want you to invite them in so you could watch with them? The latter seems creepy, even cultish.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +414/-9
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 05:32:16 PM »
Damn, I would have seen it as my entertainment for the day.  Watching their film and asking all the tough questions they like to not think about.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Religions are the dingle berries on the butt hairs of civilization.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 05:38:43 PM »
Two young men just came to my door.  They wanted to share with me an "uplifting video about Jesus Christ" or some such thing.  I don't know which brand of Christians they were.  They didn't identify themselves as part of any particular sect.  I just told them "No, thank you."  I don't know why I felt the need to be polite or why I didn't say I am an atheist.  The thought did cross my mind.  I think I just could not be bothered to argue with them if they were so inclined.

I prefer to be polite in such situations myself (I don’t generally like being rude to others).

Sounds to me like you handled that fine anyways ;-). You were politely assertive which isn’t the same as resorting to asshole behaviour when unnecessary (although when politeness fails in such situations types I can be very quick to stop caring about it). I take it they left you alone after that? I hope so!

Online LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +244/-6
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 06:38:26 PM »
Were they selling the video, or did they want you to invite them in so you could watch with them? The latter seems creepy, even cultish.

I wondered that after they left.  I didn't notice a large bag full of dvds which leads me to wonder if the expected to be invited in.  That is pretty creepy.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Online LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +244/-6
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 06:41:52 PM »
Quote from: Emma286 link=topic=31418.msg737455#msg737455
I take it they left you alone after that? I hope so!

They just asked me if there was anyone else I knew who could use an uplifting message and I said no.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 06:50:35 PM »
Quote from: Emma286 link=topic=31418.msg737455#msg737455
I take it they left you alone after that? I hope so!

They just asked me if there was anyone else I knew who could use an uplifting message and I said no.

That’s good!

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +475/-8
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 09:31:24 PM »
I don't know much about Mormons, but JWs would never show you anything "uplifting". JWs invariably include women.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mormons+at+your+door   (press the images button)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:33:46 PM by Add Homonym »
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 09:35:27 PM »
I don't know much about Mormons, but JWs would never show you anything "uplifting". JWs invariably include women.

Believe it or not my partner’s mother does have this kind of experience with a JW neighbour who pops round to see her regularly when reading out certain verses- even though she doesn’t follow the religion or any other!