Author Topic: BUT HER EMAILS! Ivanka Trump addition.  (Read 473 times)

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +448/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: BUT HER EMAILS! Ivanka Trump addition.
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2018, 09:16:53 PM »
To me, this highlights that the "BUT HER E-MAILS!" stuff regarding Clinton was not genuine in the first place.

Wouldn't you agree, Mr. B.?

No. I wouldn't agree. Why do you think this highlights how the investigation into the Clinton emails was not genuine?

Are you suggesting that this is just a political tit for tat?

I don't think those in the GOP hell bent on taking down Hillary really give two shits about legal issues or laws, they want only to take down Hillary. That's precisely why they are not acting in the same manner towards Ivanka.

The only serious challenge to what Hillary did was in the possible restricted content within the emails - to which nothing was found that warranted an indictment for the emails that were not destroyed. And it is entirely possible that Ivanka has not sent out a single piece of restricted information. But we won't know that unless those same GOP mad-men go after her like they did to Hillary - including her own father! Hillary got investigated to the hills and back - don't you think the same thing should happen to Ivanka, at a minimum?

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Professor
  • Darwins +363/-39
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2018, 09:34:36 PM »
But we won't know that unless those same GOP mad-men go after her like they did to Hillary - including her own father! Hillary got investigated to the hills and back - don't you think the same thing should happen to Ivanka, at a minimum?

Oh absolutely. Her and her husband and Bannon and the other five people in the Trump administration identified as having used personal emails last year. I think there are investigations ongoing as we speak but they are not being played out as publicly as Hillary's was because all the media wants to really focus on is our dear leader's stupid fucking tweets and the Mueller investigation and the migrant invasion and other such things. I was shocked to discover that Ivanka's emails and, yes, private server were reported last year.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/24/jared-kushner-private-email-white-house-243071

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/us/politics/private-email-trump-kushner-bannon.html

I am not sure how to describe the intricacies of this Hell, so I chose to begin with the most common or prominent theme of Hell, which is uncertainty.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +476/-40
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2018, 05:15:55 AM »
To me, this highlights that the "BUT HER E-MAILS!" stuff regarding Clinton was not genuine in the first place.

No. I wouldn't agree. Why do you think this highlights how the investigation into the Clinton emails was not genuine?

Because if it was genuine, then they'd care about Ivanka doing this.  But they don't.

I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +475/-8
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2018, 10:00:44 AM »
Well, I didn't intend to break the law all those times I got speeding tickets. It's not like I knew the speed limit was 55 and thought to myself "fuck it, I'm going to go as fast as I want to."

Those aren't criminal record offenses. Murder one and murder two are based on intent. Speeding fines are non-criminal fees, designed to make you more careful next time, or road tax.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Professor
  • Darwins +363/-39
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2018, 12:36:44 PM »
Well, I didn't intend to break the law all those times I got speeding tickets. It's not like I knew the speed limit was 55 and thought to myself "fuck it, I'm going to go as fast as I want to."

Those aren't criminal record offenses. Murder one and murder two are based on intent. Speeding fines are non-criminal fees, designed to make you more careful next time, or road tax.

So? You still get a ticket if you didn't intend to speed. You still get convicted if you didn't intend to kill someone[1]. Speeding, Killing, handling classified information and keeping records of official government communication are all regulated and laws are in place for people who violate the regulations. The punishments vary according to severity. When it comes to speeding, I have been fortunate enough on one or two occasions to not get a ticket. That was up to the officer's discretion. I was let go with a warning.

The rich and powerful sometimes get warnings for criminal offenses.
 1. With a few exceptions regarding stand your ground laws and the Castle doctrine but that's a whole different can of worms.
I am not sure how to describe the intricacies of this Hell, so I chose to begin with the most common or prominent theme of Hell, which is uncertainty.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Professor
  • Darwins +363/-39
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2018, 12:45:15 PM »

Because if it was genuine, then they'd care about Ivanka doing this.  But they don't.

Ah, okay. I understand what you are saying but I don't see what you are seeing.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +475/-8
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2018, 08:27:32 PM »
https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2016/11/01/clinton-mails-and-test-intent/PREmFjWAqwtl4amw2nZNvJ/story.html

As FBI Director James Comey said in July, the FBI “did not find clear evidence that Secretary Clinton or her colleagues intended to violate laws governing the handling of classified information.” Nor did investigators uncover evidence that Clinton or her team had intentionally deleted work-related e-mails “in an effort to conceal them.”

But wait, armchair partisan prosecutors will protest, even without evidence of intent, Comey could have gone after Clinton on a gross-negligence standard. That’s theoretically true — though the applicable statute stresses intent, it does allow prosecution based on gross negligence. But the assertion runs afoul of this crucial fact: The Justice Department has not, historically, prosecuted these kinds of cases on that basis. Rather, as Comey said in July, all the cases the Justice Department has brought “involved some combination of clearly intentional and willful mishandling of classified information; or vast quantities of materials exposed in such a way as to support an inference of intentional misconduct; or indications of disloyalty to the United States; or efforts to obstruct justice.”

Once again, note the importance of intent here.

When grilled by House Republicans about why he hadn’t recommended prosecution based on gross negligence, Comey noted that the Justice Department had brought precisely one such case in the past century. (That count was dropped when the defendant pled to a different charge.)

That matters. As a prosecutor, “you have to pay attention to what the pattern of enforcement has been in the past,” notes Stern, who adds that the courts look skeptically when prosecutors attempt to apply statutes selectively or in unusual ways. What the purblind partisans arguing for gross negligence prosecution are essentially saying, then, is this: Prosecutorial precedent and pattern be damned, Comey should have contorted the criminal justice system to go after Clinton.

One recent example of how the rich don't get prosecuted was after the banking fallout of GFC, where loads of little guys were prosecuted but the bankers were all left alone. People in government tend to escape more prosecutions, due to the fact that you have to break more eggs to make omelettes. Clinton and Obama bombed Gadaffi, and they just said "whoops, my bad."
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1179/-40
  • We stand on the shoulders of giants
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2018, 05:07:52 PM »
Did a bunch of posts disappear or did I just dream those?
What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2018, 05:14:30 PM »
^^^The forum was restored from an earlier backup; posts more recent than 11/30 were lost.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline jdawg70

• Administrator
  • Darwins +1095/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2018, 05:17:16 PM »
Did a bunch of posts disappear or did I just dream those?

Hillary deleted them.

...I'll see myself out.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +414/-9
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2018, 05:33:46 PM »
Russia, if you are listening???
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Religions are the dingle berries on the butt hairs of civilization.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Professor
  • Darwins +363/-39
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2018, 04:32:14 PM »
^^^The forum was restored from an earlier backup; posts more recent than 11/30 were lost.

That explains a lot. I was about to dig deep into something relating to this conversation but now I can't remember what point I was going to try to make because I couldn't even access the forum for a few days and now whatever I posted at that time is gone so...   :P