Author Topic: Lucifer  (Read 52 times)

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +171/-2
Lucifer
« on: November 08, 2018, 04:42:49 PM »
Basic plot, Lucifer got tired of lording over hell and went on an indefinite holiday to Los Angeles in the form of a suave Englishman.

I'm rather surprised by this series. It's well written, the male lead is excellent. The female lead was a bit less in the first couple of episodes. But it turns out this was because her character was written in a limited way, with a narrow range of emotions. Starting in E6, her character begins opening up a bit and it suits the actress way better.

The best thing about the series is that they avoided the usual trap of making Lucifer a Hollywood Satanist. They're actually staying pretty close to the biblical Lucifer.
Sure, you need to accept the bible as true, but hey, if I can handle a show with dragons and icezombies and a show with a billion corpses walking about, I can handle a show where the bible is true.

There's also an angel who has been tasked with convincing Lucifer to go back to hell. The Angel is egotistical, vain, violent and cruel ... and all in the name of dad. Quite like that Lucifer keeps refering to god as 'dad'. And Lucifer's point of view of the whole fallen angel situation is quite refreshing.

I highly recommend this series.
2 Interwebs 7:42
And in the seventh year, thou shalt cast out the Nam from thine assembly for he haveth a potty mouth.

Offline CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +98/-3
  • Searching for truth without cherrypicking
Re: Lucifer
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 11:31:51 AM »
Well, except the biblical Lucifer was just a Babylonian king who treated his people like dirt and saw himself as god, and then his people were happy when he got of his high horse and was reduced to their level.

But other than that sounds interesting.
"It is always darker right before the light.  Or for some people, it just stays dark, but they don't seem to notice."

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +171/-2
Re: Lucifer
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 03:09:11 PM »
Well, sure, Bible-Lucifer is based on older characters but in the series they're limiting themselves to the bible ... not the work it's based on.

One detail I love about the series ... there's explicitly a lot of time, sometimes weeks, of unseen time in between episodes. VERY few series do that these days. In quite a few series, 23 episodes cover, like, a fortnight, yet the characters either have no growth or they have several months or even years of growth in that time. Lucifer strikes a nice balance there.
2 Interwebs 7:42
And in the seventh year, thou shalt cast out the Nam from thine assembly for he haveth a potty mouth.