Author Topic: Allow me to introduce myself  (Read 249 times)

Offline Kayback

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Allow me to introduce myself
« on: November 06, 2018, 02:01:40 PM »
Hi all. Sjoe where to start?

Well first off I'm a 42 year old white male living in South Africa. I'm married to my atheist wife and we're celebrating 9 years next year
 We have 2 kids, 1 dog and a fish.

As I mentioned in one of my 3 posts I'm an ex-Theist who tried really hard to keep my faith alive even though it was DOA. I never really believed but I tried. Like I said I was never forced to go to church but was dragged to a couple of services. Even at a young age I wasn't interested in attending a mass service, it always seemed...impersonal for a God who loves me more than a sparrow and listens to me.  But I never felt that Devine spark people talked about even though I looked.

I tried reading my bible from cover to cover because I'd never done that before and thought I'd missed something others had found. I got about half way through the OT and thought "what the fuck am I reading?" I finished it and my opinion didn't change. I attended Youth and Worship services to hang with my friends. Worship always seemed like a better idea on how to serve God than receiving a sermon but I was there for my friends. In my late teens early 20s I read the Quran in case I was getting the wrong side of the stick. It didn't help. I looked into Wicca, Reiki healing and some other mysticism.

Yeah. My time spent with microscopes and petri dishes was a better use of my time. 

I was pretty solidly atheistic before I became "an atheist". I was an agnostic as we don't know everything but as Tim Minchin said the answer has never been "magic". And if the god as the xtians believe exist, then I agree with Stephen Fry, that guy's an asshole.

My wife was ... spiritual? When we started dating. Moving on from ID to general "superior power in the universe" to "probably not" to "definitely not". Thanks to her "coming out" as an atheist meant I could too. We have told our kids about religion and why we don't subscribe but seeing the indoctrination our youngest is going through is pretty darn annoying. Even in non denominational supposedly free from religion schools.

How did I find WWGHA? I dunno. I know I have been engaging with Flat Earther's on Pintrest (yeah I have stupid hobbies) and in looking something up I found WWGHA and spent a while reading a bunch of topics. I'm nowhere as good a debater as most of you people, atheist and theist alike. I simply haven't had practice in debate, nor do I have an encyclopedic knowledge of religion. Even thoughI am logical I am not trained or practiced in arguments using logic.

Even though I was born and had my formative years under the Apartheid government in SA my parents brought me up to trust in people's abilities not their race, gender, age, belief or sexuality. I'm pretty liberal in my views (although these days that should be libretarian?) I'm happy to own up to a hedonistic streak coupled with Libertine  tendencies. I'm also a transhumanist, utopianist realist.

Sorry for the wall of text.

TL:DR
42/M/South Africa/Atheist.

Offline jdawg70

• Administrator
  • Darwins +1088/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
Re: Allow me to introduce myself
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 04:13:09 PM »
I'm nowhere as good a debater as most of you people, atheist and theist alike. I simply haven't had practice in debate, nor do I have an encyclopedic knowledge of religion. Even thoughI am logical I am not trained or practiced in arguments using logic.

Hello Kayback. Welcome to the forum.

One thing I would urge you to do is not worry about being a good debater. Personally, I find that framing discussions as debates creates a type of win/lose mentality that I find to be detrimental to learning. It focuses you on figuring out what to say/write in order to score points (from yourself, from others, etc.), which can sometimes get in the way of understanding what the other person(s) is trying to convey.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with trying to be compelling, or actively trying to change someone's mind - I just fail to see debate as a useful tool in that endeavor.  'course that could all just be me.

As someone who has run into esoterically-weird-Pinterest, are you familiar with the insanity known as Timecube?  It's not in the least bit useful but it is pretty hilarious.  Just a random for you.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +279/-2
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 06:27:00 PM »
Hi Kayback
   I served in the U.S. peace corps in Lesotho mid eighties.  I married a beautiful Mosotho woman who is now a full fledged American football fanatic!  I still talk to American 5th graders about living with some of the poorest people on earth, that generally sing and dance all day, taking care of each other and sharing everything they have.  Poor?  Misunderstood word.  I like telling the kids about a language with clicks in it.  South Africa is incredibly beautiful.  I still remember Nelson Mandela visiting the U.S. congress, where members were truly excited to shake the man's hand.  Wish the world had more wisdom such as his.  Welcome to the forum.
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Who cares if Kim Jung-Un gets a nuke. Nukes don’t kill people, people kill people.”

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +449/-26
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 08:53:05 AM »
Hi Kayback,

welcome.  I was more atheist than my husband, who gradually became atheist like me.  I went from Presbyterian, to looking into Wicca, Roscicrucianism, and finally a feisty atheist who has a grand time tearing apart theist beliefs.  I'm a geologist by training (don't work in the field anymore), in my early 50s, like to read f&SF, play RPGs, cook and brew.  I also paint a bit.

what kind of dog?  fish?  I have a cranky old cat.

and, at least here in the states, libertarian isn't the same as liberal.  Libertarians here tend to be conservatives who want to control everything but what they do themselves. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +171/-2
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 10:14:43 AM »
A white South African?
Begrijpt u Nederlands, Kayback?

In the early 10s some Belgian football player moved to South Africa for a bit. They all came back with weird tales of teams having medicine men on staff and insane rituals involving slaughtered chickens, urine and blood. Participation in these rituals was mandatory.

Do you see a lot of that going on around you?

Oh, and before I forget ... Welcome brother, we've been expecting you.
2 Interwebs 7:42
And in the seventh year, thou shalt cast out the Nam from thine assembly for he haveth a potty mouth.

Offline wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 01:13:55 PM »
Welcome, Kayback. No worries about the wall of text: for one, a detailed intro from new members is always appreciated. For another, you had the decency to break it into paragraphs  ;)

My own progress to atheism was a lifelong one. I was raised more Quaker than anything else, decided I was an atheist in my early teens, then converted to a variant of Evangelical Christianity about fifteen years later during a bout of severe depression. That lasted another fifteen years, but I gradually realized there just wasn't evidence for my god-image and- with more nostalgia than real regret- let it go. Been atheist for the last twelve years and don't see how I could change my mind again.

Look forward to seeing you around.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Kayback

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 02:27:51 AM »

what kind of dog?  fish?  I have a cranky old cat.
She's a brak. Mongrel street dog. Basically she's a 30kg Jack Russell that has a much larger dog in her genetics. We haven't really identified the rest of her. The fish is just a single goldfish. Personally I think she is a murderer as we used to have another fish and some snails. Now we have a single fish. Hmmmmmm.

and, at least here in the states, libertarian isn't the same as liberal.  Libertarians here tend to be conservatives who want to control everything but what they do themselves.
I'll need to check my understanding of those two terms better. I'm of the opinion that consenting adults should be alowed to do more or less whatever they want to themselves and the government should STFU and make sure we have a police force, military, water and lights and roads and pretty much leave it there. I do think there should be some limits, as in you should be allowed to drink or even ingest drugs if you want to but driving under the influence should be prevented. I do think humanity as a whole would be better off if they did "do unto others" or as the great bard said "be excellent to each other" and stopped trying to get involved in other people's lives. Don't want gay marriage? Don't have one. Don't want to drink alcohol? Don't buy any. Don't come tell ME I can't have a drunk gay wedding. Just don't come if it's a problem for you.

Quote from: Fiji
Nederlands
Ja, amper. Nie perfek nie maar ons leer Afrikaans by ons skool en dit is gebruik daadelik. Ek het nie dit baie gebruik nie want ek praat Engels vir alles maar dir ander mense can vir my in Afrkaans praat. {Yes almost. We all learn Afrikaans at school and it is in daily use. I don't use it much cos I speak English even if they talk to me in Afrikaans} Being of a Germanic root I can get the gist of a couple of European languages when spoken and more so when read. When I speak Afrikaans I sound like an Englishman speaking Afrikaans not a native speaker.

There is a strong witchdoctor element here and "traditional healers" can now give doctors notes for work absenteeism.  I'm not up to speed on the "African" religions, they do tend to worry about the ancestors, have boogymen called the Tokolosh and there is a strong  belief in "mutie" (tribal medicine). However most of the Africans I know are Christian of some sort, generally ZCC (Zion Christian Church). I'm sure you get some esoteric practices in sporting teams, just like the no-sex before the big game wear your lucky Jockstrap stuff elsewhere but maybe with a dash of tribalism thrown in. I *personally* haven't witnessed it but the only sports I ever did were more individual based sports (archery, squash, horse riding) and I only ever competed Nationally in archery.
Soccer/football is the sport with the biggest following in SA. I wouldn't be suprised if there were elements of tribalism in it given the demographics. If you want a laugh look up "Kamp Staaldraad". While it isn't related to chicken rituals and football it is related to the other national sport rugby and centers around the team...bonding? experience those players went through. (Compulsory naked boot camp stuff). So pre game rituals aren't only blood rituals.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:34:38 AM by Kayback »

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 10:16:52 AM »
Howdy Kayback. Welcome to WWGHA!  Good to see a new member joining. :)

Not to worry on the wall of text. I’m another here who appreciates reading detailed introductions!  8)

I’m sorry to hear about that situation with your youngest kid. I guess there’s no decent alternative school that you can send him/her to?

Hoping that you enjoy your time here! 

Offline Kayback

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 07:10:32 PM »
Howdy Kayback. Welcome to WWGHA!  Good to see a new member joining. :)!

We did move her from the 2 places she was being literally indoctrinated, now she's just at a normal school. Unfortunately we don't seem to have the same level of preventative split between religion and school as the US. Better than back in the day when we had Religious Instruction as an actual class and assembly was a religious service with prayers and hymns but they are still talking about God and singing songs.

Thanks all for the welcome.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 02:04:54 PM »
Np. Glad to know she is now at a normal school anyways.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +171/-2
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 02:43:08 PM »
Thanks, Kayback, most interesting. Wikipedia and the CIA World Factbook give you all the facts you could ever want, but it takes eyewitness reports to really get a feel for a country.
For instance, I'd never have guessed how much of a presence Hare Krishna has in Hungary, but they were all over the place. Few actual adherents, but quite popular.

Had an Afrikaner student in our student club at uni. Especially at the tail end of a TD or a Cantus, she'd switch to Afrikaans. Delightful language.
And in the seventh year, thou shalt cast out the Nam from thine assembly for he haveth a potty mouth.

Offline jdawg70

• Administrator
  • Darwins +1088/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 08:40:05 AM »
Part of this has made us think that is correct, then we have to make things even more interesting.

Hi Alucardhz. Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure I know what you're responding to. Could you expand on what part you're referring to?
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 08:41:16 AM »
I have to say I did wonder if that was a bot! Maybe not though...

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +171/-2
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 08:54:08 AM »
Yeah, they're getting slightly better at mimicking human speech ... I wonder if the hacker behind this bot monitors the number of responses to bot's posts and then builds on the algorithms from the bot that got most responses.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 03:24:53 AM »
Yeah, they're getting slightly better at mimicking human speech ... I wonder if the hacker behind this bot monitors the number of responses to bot's posts and then builds on the algorithms from the bot that got most responses.

A bit of a scary thought for me personally (regarding their getting better) but I’m sure that’s true. Eventually we won’t be able to tell the difference I’m reasonably sure.

I guess if this is a hacker who has some kind of bad motive towards atheists/this site that would make sense!