Author Topic: Amish #metoo  (Read 165 times)

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +277/-2
Amish #metoo
« on: October 05, 2018, 04:03:01 PM »
Starting at age 5, Mary Byler said, she was raped by multiple people, including three of her own brothers. When she told her mother, she said, her mother told her she didn’t pray hard enough.

Sexual assault and abuse aren’t the only aspects of Amish culture that need light shed on them, Billig said.

Lack of education, Bontrager said, can create an environment that doesn’t allow children to learn to think for themselves and forces them to stay in a society of abuse.

Today she’s a pilot who traveled to 30 countries before turning 30 years old. But years ago she didn’t think it possible.

“I cried when I graduated from the Amish eighth grade,” she said. “I wanted to know how planes flew, and nobody could explain that to me.”

https://religionnews.com/2018/10/03/amish-not-immune-to-metoo-victims-say/
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Who cares if Kim Jung-Un gets a nuke. Nukes don’t kill people, people kill people.”

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +446/-25
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: Amish #metoo
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 03:37:38 PM »
the Amish are often jerks and just as awful as any human.  I really hate how much they are mythologized into these perfect honest people. My brother was a state trooper and often broke up beer parties held by the amish youth.  They'd take the batteries that powered lights on their buggies and ran boom boxes off them. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline The Gawd

• Reader
  • Darwins +152/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 04:58:31 PM »
What I don't understand about the Amish is who decided what era they would freeze time in? At some point candles and churning butter was cutting edge technology so what makes that the right era to stop progressing? Also, as a insurance adjuster, at times I would come across people, in Indiana of course, who would use the Amish to replace a roof. Their pricing was the same as other contractors if not more than. What in the blue hell are you doing with all that money?

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +277/-2
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 05:22:00 PM »
I can say here in pa, they buy farms for the sons that want to farm, easily over a million dollars each.
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Who cares if Kim Jung-Un gets a nuke. Nukes don’t kill people, people kill people.”

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +626/-67
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 05:38:18 PM »
The faithful may claim their gods give them morality, but when left to their own devices, without human supervision, they show their true colors.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +406/-9
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 06:57:34 PM »
What I don't understand about the Amish is who decided what era they would freeze time in? At some point candles and churning butter was cutting edge technology so what makes that the right era to stop progressing? Also, as a insurance adjuster, at times I would come across people, in Indiana of course, who would use the Amish to replace a roof. Their pricing was the same as other contractors if not more than. What in the blue hell are you doing with all that money?
Yes, use of a wheel is big stuff.  They should give that up.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +406/-9
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 06:58:32 PM »
Do you ever think that JWs go up to Amish doors and knock on them?  Would be an interesting conversation.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +166/-7
  • Born without religion
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 02:09:50 PM »
They'd take the batteries that powered lights on their buggies and ran boom boxes off them.

But what music did they listen to?  1940s big band, 1970s funk, or Taylor Swift?

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +446/-25
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 02:00:22 PM »
They'd take the batteries that powered lights on their buggies and ran boom boxes off them.

But what music did they listen to?  1940s big band, 1970s funk, or Taylor Swift?

uggh, probably country. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline jdawg70

• Administrator
  • Darwins +1082/-10
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 11:31:36 AM »

"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/