Author Topic: What song best fits your deconversion/faith struggle?  (Read 272 times)

Offline CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +98/-3
  • Searching for truth without cherrypicking
What song best fits your deconversion/faith struggle?
« on: August 27, 2018, 06:25:51 PM »
I got to thinking—if your deconversion process or faith struggle could be summed up or conveyed in a song, which song would it be and why?

Personally, for me it's this, Ashes of Eden by Breaking Benjamin.

It really speaks to me both when I started really questioning and currently. I don't think I've ever had a song speak to me as much on a "struggling with belief" level as much as this song.
"It is always darker right before the light.  Or for some people, it just stays dark, but they don't seem to notice."

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +119/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Re: What song best fits your deconversion/faith struggle?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 09:33:44 AM »
This was the beginning of my end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwLQw_95hX0

Some people say my love cannot be true
Please believe me, my love, and I'll show you
I will give you those things you thought unreal
The sun, the moon, the stars all bear my seal

Follow me now and you will not regret
Leaving the life you led before we met
You are the first to have this love of mine
Forever with me 'till the end of time

Your love for me has just got to be real
Before you know the way I'm going to feel

Now I have you with me, under my power
Our love grows stronger now with every hour
Look into my eyes, you'll see who I am
My name is Lucifer, please take my hand
Don't stop smiling at the world and keep your head full of hope.

Offline wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +221/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 11:26:26 AM »
"Keep Your Eyes Open", NeedtoBreathe.

My deconversion was a gradual process, one I was well aware of. It was like waking from a pleasant dream: I struggled to keep my eyes shut, despite the light beating on my lids. I prayed for insight and reasons to keep believing in the benevolent, liberal SPAG I'd created in the last months of my faith, but finally admitted that interpretation of god had no more substance than the bloody, contradictory monster of the Bible. And that was, ultimately, a good thing.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +446/-25
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 12:05:57 PM »
pretty much "Weak Fantasy" by Nightwish.   I looked and tried to find some religion that wasn't the nonsense I had believed, found all were the same and was annoyed.

These stories given to us all
Are filled with sacrifice and robes of lust
Dissonant choirs and downcast eyes
Selfhood of a condescending ape
Behold the crown of a heavenly spy
Forged in blood of those who defy
Kiss the ring, praise and sing
He loves you dwelling in fear and sin

Fear is a choice you embrace

Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy

Every child worthy of a better tale

Pick your author from à la carte fantasy
Filled with suffering and slavery
You live only for the days to come
Shoveling trash of the upper caste

Smiling mouth in a rotting head
Sucking dry the teat of the scared
A storytelling breed we are
A starving crew with show-off toys

Fear is a choice you embrace

Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy

From words into war of the worlds
This one we forsake with scorn
From lies, the strength of our love
Mother's milk laced with poison for
this newborn

Wake up child, I have a story to tell
Once upon a time

Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Fantasy
Male necrocracy

Songwriters: MARCO HIETALA,TUOMAS HOLOPAINEN
© Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Professor
  • Darwins +360/-39
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 01:02:55 PM »
One of my long time favorites. I've posted it before in the "what music are you listening to" thread but I was captivated by this song in my early teen years and have no doubt that it help bolster my skepticism.

I am not sure how to describe the intricacies of this Hell, so I chose to begin with the most common or prominent theme of Hell, which is uncertainty.

Offline YouCantHandleTheTruth

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +125/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 08:27:24 AM »
Everybody Plays the Fool

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Professor
  • Darwins +360/-39
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 10:47:03 PM »
Everybody Plays the Fool

Tell the story. How did this song play a part in your deconversion/faith struggle?

I remember hearing this song as a young child but listening to it now, I don't see the relationship between the lyrics and religion.
I am not sure how to describe the intricacies of this Hell, so I chose to begin with the most common or prominent theme of Hell, which is uncertainty.

Offline clip11

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 06:48:03 AM »
It's not a song but I'm sure he could have sang it to a beat

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jk6ILZAaAMI&t=0s&list=PL47342C83235849A1&index=4

Offline YouCantHandleTheTruth

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +125/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 08:25:05 AM »
Tell the story. How did this song play a part in your deconversion/faith struggle?

Yeah I know.  It's not really about religion.  But I was driving to see my brother, sister-in-law and nieces in Philadelphia in September of 2012, right before a child abuse scandal hit my church.  My faith had been wavering a lot at this point, because I was studying to be a Bible Study leader (we called them Care Groups), and it was when I was reading the Bible 5 times over the course of 3 years that it really hit me how crazy it all seemed.  The first couple of readings I didn't think much of the passages, third reading I started to rationalize everything, and by the fourth reading I knew it didn't make sense.  I was on the fifth reading, heading up to see my brother in Philly, when I heard this song on the radio, and it just clicked.  I was being played for the gullible fool.  One month later, it was revealed that the church had been harboring 5 child abusers in the church for 30 plus years.  Another one was ex-communicated and went to Vegas.  He married a girl at a church there with 5 children - and abused 3 of them.  He's now in prison for life.  If my old church speaks up against him, it never happens.

The old pastor left, and a new one came in - who covered up the fact that his father physically beat dozens of children in a Christian camp in the 80's and 90's, then fled the country.  He went to another country - where another boy in one of his camps suspiciously drowned.  The case was thrown out by the dictator of the country.

That church is just a complete disaster - but really, it's a microcosm for Christianity as a whole.  I guess that song just made me realize that I shouldn't feel so stupid for believing something so crazy.  When I started googling, the first thing I ran into was The Atheist Experience podcast - and that was that.  The Thinking Atheist followed.

So...I try to keep that in mind now with believers.  I was there once too - and when you're in the bubble, you just don't want to see that you're the fool.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +173/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 09:41:27 AM »
This sums up my feelings toward the end of my deconversion: we don't need religion/a god to "just be nice."

It's also a decent argument for why morality doesn't come from religion...are you telling me that the Hebrews didn't know not to steal from each other & kill each other before Gawd told them so???

...religion is simply tribalism with a side order of philosophical wankery, and occasionally a baseball bat to smash...anyone who doesn't show...deference to the tribe's chosen totem.

~Astreja

To not believe in god is to know that it falls to us to make the world a better place.

~Sam Harris

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 03:55:29 PM »
Iridescent Linkin Park
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqsxlLU_ebI

"....after all the sadness tha frustration, LET IT GO-O-O, let it go."

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +155/-2
  • Ya tu sabes
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 01:15:16 AM »

Heaven Tonight by the Coup. If your faith movement has nothing to do with helping people, I don't see why I should even entertain the idea of being down with it.

(updated with a video without distorted audio)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:28:49 AM by Timo »
Nah son...

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +155/-2
  • Ya tu sabes
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 01:24:13 AM »
"Let's make heaven right here, just in case they wrong." "Check out the introvert in the corner with the rip in her skirt. Stomach pain, so she gripping her shirt. Ain't never had dinner so she know she ain't getting desert. Don't try to tell me it's her mission to hurt." "I ain't sitting in your pews 'less you helping me resist and refuse. Show me a list of your views. If you really love me, help me tear this motherfucker up. Consider this my tithe for the offer cup." Also, "whisky and the midnight sky can make you feel insignificant." I love everything about this song.
Nah son...

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +358/-117
  • MIGHT DOES NOT MAKE RIGHT. Seeing is believing!
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 07:14:51 AM »
CD, I do not really have a de-conversion song. I was listening to a lot of Bluegrass at the time. I was already against religion, and I had spent about 2 years here at WWGHA defending belief. Yelp, defending belief, but criticizing religion. I was watching a nature documentary about the arctic. There was this mother fox. She had 5 baby foxes. She needed some food for herself and the little cubs, but she could not leave the cubs to hunt due to a male fox lingering close by. She knew that fox would eat her cubs. That is when it just clicked. I thought, how could a loving, merciful, all-powerful god do this? I have not believed in any gods since, or any kind of woo woo.

This is not the exact same video ( I could not find it). It makes my point quite well though. This world is cruel. Humans have it made compared to the rest of nature.

https://youtu.be/swiSMSWgbKE
If you wanna make the world a better place,
Take a look at yourself, and then make a change...
Michael Jackson and Batman

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 01:42:29 AM »
Good thread idea Crystal!

I was never converted into a religion to start with, but at one stage held very strong hope that some kind of caring Christian god was really out there. I was very attached to it. I felt that, once I started to accept to the truth of the matter, that my hopes were pretty badly shattered (which I found close unbearable at the time). It made on going chronic up and down depression worse for a time.

I also felt pretty alone during this time, My mother, while not religious, believes that there is some kind of living god out there because of certain experiences that she’s had, and she is not willing to question her belief critically. She wants to hold on to her belief simply because it seems lovely and comforting. My dad (I think) and my boyfriend are weak agnostics. The question of whether or not god really exists doesn’t bother them I don’t think - or at the least it’s not something that they choose to dwell on. My brother is somebody who does understand this pretty well, but it was still
the situation that I could only talk to him so much about it.

Anyways, while I can’t think of a song that exactly sums up all I experienced  I think that this song probably comes fairly close to describing the sense of isolation/sense of broken hope I was experiencing when going through the acceptance stage I did of the truth:

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +64/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 01:31:01 PM »

Definitely this song.

I've had a pretty shitty childhood. My father is a pastor and so was my grandfather so I had to go to church a lot (I was raised Pentecostal). Twice on Sunday, once on Wednesday and a bible study on Friday. Growing up I always thought that god was supposed to be a security blanket. In my teen years I remember praying for life to get better but it didn't, so I felt let down my god. I remember all the prayer circles that I was the center off and nothing got better, so god failed to help a pastors daughter and granddaughter.

The lyrics "We all need a big reduction in amount of tears" and "You're always letting us humans down" sums up how I felt when I was going to church.

Also, this one:

I'm 37 and I've struggled with substance abuse since I was 15, everything from pot to heroin. I think the cross the girl is wearing in the video is very fitting. An all loving God is absent from those who need him the most.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline The Gawd

• Reader
  • Darwins +152/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 06:12:50 PM »
Dont know if it is a struggle, but this represents once I escaped