Author Topic: A Generational Problem  (Read 267 times)

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +145/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
A Generational Problem
« on: August 17, 2018, 10:26:35 PM »
This isn't entirely a religious topic. I would say that it leans more towards the society end, but there is a definite and meaningful religious component as well.

Disclaimer: This might offend some people. I honestly don't care if it does, but that not my intent.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/baby-boomers-sociopaths_us_58b9a358e4b0d2821b4dd797 Here is the article. I've long had similar thoughts.

It discusses the shortcomings of the Baby Boomer Generation. Now, I realize that this likely includes members of this forum. This is not meant as an attack against a specific person here. It is something I have observed through a lot of experience, with my parents, my in-laws, extended family on both sides, teachers, religious leaders, neighbors, local/state/national elected officials, customers and clients and patients.

It is sad to see how many members of this generation feel completely entitled to be abusive to people, particularly to those younger than them whom they naturally consider to be their inferiors, and feel even more entitled to not have to accept any kind of responsibility for it at all. They will fight tooth and nail to avoid having any sort of accountability for their horrible behavior, and yet chastise others who respond to them in kind. To them, respect means that they are to be treated as an authority, and its not something that they have to reciprocate, particularly not to those younger than them. Them respecting us means that they allow us to live as they want us to live and if we don’t they reject us.

I don't get why this generation has so much hatred for the children that they raised, and why they think the outcome has NOTHING to do with them. "I didn't raise my kid to be that way" then who the hell did?!?! They go to church in droves in order to convince themselves that they aren't really as awful as they actually are, and then as soon as they hit the parking lot they are swearing and honking and cutting each other off because they CANT EFFING WAIT to get the hell out of there. It's funny how the boomer generation loves to malign millennials, the generation of which I and many else reading this are members, and of course who are the children of the boomers, while forgetting that they are called the "Me Generation" due to their inexplicably over-developed sense of self-importance.

And of course Trump rallies are just FULL of white, Christian, middle class, self -infatuated boomers. Spent their whole lives electing politicians and supporting policies that gutted unions, perpetuated the UTTERLY DISASTROUS war on drugs (easily the most damaging US policy since the end of slavery), created and supported terrorists and dictators and drug cartels and killing fields, racking up tons of debt, both nationally and personally, sold an entire generation on the lie of college and put them into life-long debt, ruined the economy, ruined the environment, drove up the cost of education (and EVERYTHING ELSE) while keeping wages low or stagnant for younger folks while fattening their own pockets, retarded research into stem cells and cloning and genetics because it offends their imaginary worldview, continues to push for coal and oil and tries to kill renewable energy, pushed their horrible religion onto their children (fortunately we aren’t as dumb and credulous and slavish as them and are much less religious), and on top of it all, they somehow at once seem to gloat about this, and yet blame younger generations for the state things are in. They elected Nixon, Reagan, both Bushes, and Trump. I can’t imagine having that shit on my conscience. They really better hope that there isn’t a hell for them to go to. It’s just a shame that they have left one for their grandchildren. And they scoff at younger generations for trying to make a better world when they left us a worse one. Their cynicism combined with their arrogance and general disdain and lack of empathy for anyone they consider to be lesser than them really does start to paint a picture of serious psychiatric dysfunction. The problem is that so many are SO self-absorbed that they either aren’t capable of recognizing that there is anything at all wrong with their behavior (think Trump) or if they are capable of it, don’t give a damn because of their generally low level of empathy. Their awareness, both of themselves and of others, is so limited and selfish as to be almost imperceptible.

This is particularly inspired by my in-laws and parents, all of whom I love, but have very serious and significant and troubling and hurtful behavior/communication style, and a complete absence of responsibility for it. It is very difficult to at once love and rely on people, and want to cut them completely out of your life because they are such a toxic influence. It really makes me hate part of them.

I have encountered this same self-absorbed attitude in SO MANY customers/clients/patients that I have encountered with various employers. It’s sickening. They consider (younger) other people to be no more than objects or commodities to them, at best sentient servants and inferiors, and treat them accordingly. They think that there should exist people that work their ass off 40 hours a week and yet live in poverty. That they somehow deserve it because they don’t have an “important” job. It’s funny when I hear some spoiled entitled Me Generationer say that fast food jobs are just for high school kids to start out getting some experience while eating their Bacon Egg and Cheese Mcgriddle that they ordered at 9 am on a school day without any sense (OF COURSE) of just HOW FUCKING WRONG they are and how utterly wretched their existence makes other people’s lives and how much better off we would be is they stopped breathing and didn’t start again.

This is obviously coming from a place of legit anger and it’s something that is constantly frustrating for me, not just because I have to deal with it but because I see others have to deal with it too and as I get older and hopefully wiser I notice more and more that so much of the dysfunction I see in peers is due to the damage done by the Me Generation. I’ve seen it working in Children’s services, children’s mental health, and addiction counseling too. I had several wonderful young people whose lives were made miserable by the fact that their parents rejected them because they are homosexual, or because they were raped, or parents who deny that serious mental illness is a thing. These people need frontal lobe surgery with a rusty ice pick. I even had one seriously ID kid, minimally verbal, IQ 55, whose mom had sold him for sexual favors (at age 5) in exchange for crack money. When he and his several siblings were finally discovered by police and CPS, they were living in a home with no adults, no electricity, no heat, no water, no working toilets, no food (except the roaches and rats and bed bugs of course), no clean clothes, soiled linens, feces and urine everywhere, crack and crack pipes, used condoms and cigarette butts.  Man, that shit just about broke me. And I just found out about it 6 years after it all went down. But I saw the damage it did. Oh yes. This poor kid, unable to communicate his anger and hurt very successfully, would do so with violence. And when he was 11 he was as big as I was (except a lot less fat of course). This kid kicked a drinking fountain down the hall. DOWN. THE. HALL. Right off of the wall like a grape and down the hall. He smashed out a half inch thick or more window (I don’t know how to properly describe it but it was a freaking solid window) and turned his aunts oak kitchen table to matchsticks with his bare hands. He didn’t hurt himself doing any of this. But you can hardly blame him for being pissed. This is obviously a very extreme example, but when people make a conscience choice to harm other people, whether its physically, sexually, or emotionally, it, guess what, HARMS OTHER PEOPLE. So if you feel entitled to do that to other people, you DO NOT have the right and can expect to be challenged. The wellbeing of others is more important than your ego.

And of course they love their religion. Even the Catholics. Even when their church is exposed as being nothing more than a front for pedophiles and that cover up and scandal and abuse and neglect happened from the highest levels to the lowest and was a matter of OFFICIAL CHURCH POLICY. And it doesn't matter because they have faith and blah blah blah they can talk so much and yet say so little of significance. Their hope that they can somehow survive their own death (itself a huge indicator of self absorption) is more important than THOUSANDS of raped and tortured children and a systematic, decades (at least) long cover up. They see that and say "Meh, I'm still in". I submit that this is obscene but yet AGAIN, it is the sense of a lack of responsibility and accountability that they absolutely cherish.

It is honestly a disgusting shame that boomers, who are getting on towards retirement/nursing home status, will be fed and bathed and dressed and had their asses wiped by the same people whom they have spent their ENTIRE LIVES gleefully fucking over and maligning and the whole time they will feel ENTITLED to it. So many of them already benefit from longer and healthier lives due to the medical advances created through processes many boomers oppose for religious reasons, and because they have some underpaid and in debt forever from school millennial as their personal trainer who keeps them in shape, and they have lesser beings preparing them fancy health food for minimum wage, and they have lesser beings take care of their lawn and pool and snow plowing and housekeeping and childcare so they can go golf and socialize and spend their money on shit they don't need or on frequent vacations all while asking millennials why they can't do better when they have a full time professional job, part time job, work 60 hours a week, donate plasma, and still make a fraction of what the boomer does even while being way better parents than the me generation.

So in conclusion, again, this is not aimed at anyone here. In fact I'm not sure that I know of any boomers here who have been anything but sweet and generous. This is not all inclusive. But surely, you can think of the type of people I am describing here. And this shit needs to stop. It has already nearly ruined our country and damaged millions of people. These peeps need to grow out of themselves.
"A resurrected person who is also the son of a virgin could still be talking nonsense. There's no logic that says he must be right. " Christopher Hitchens

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +446/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: A Generational Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 08:30:58 AM »
BM

Offline MikeTheUnconvinced

• Freshman
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • Got evidence?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 05:17:52 PM »
Thanks for this post kaziglu bey.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I see many many examples of the same things you describe with family, former classmates, co-workers, people I socialize with. It weighs heavily on my mind almost daily but I feel powerless to effect any change. :( I see classmates with this mindset and think, "holy crap, we had the same teachers in high school, what the hell happened?," you know?
"Faith is the excuse people give for believing in something when they don't have a good reason." -Matt Dillahunty
"The idea that a lot of people overlook is this reality that things that don't exist can't cause other things. If a thing doesn't exist then it can't be a cause." -Tracie Harris

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +356/-4
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 06:03:42 PM »
I too see illustrations of this mindset, particularly with my mother. This summer my father died and my siblings and I have been gathering around more to help her out. For some of us, this includes travelling a thousand miles, so when we're together, we really make our time count. It's been... shall I say, rather eye-opening to see her rationalize her ideologies against the realities she must now face. For the most part, I mean managing her money, but this really is a large part of the whole American Dream promise she grew up with and benefited from herself.

She can't understand why millennials aren't similarly successful, and when we point out the reasons, she is just confused. The simple rules of thumb she grew up thinking were accurate models of life are out of date and irrelevant. "Live within your means" means something entirely different to a person who grew up counting on one person's paycheck to fund the lifestyle of a young, modest family. This simply is not the case for most people today. The job market is not the same, the costs of living are not the same. A college education certainly gives one an edge against someone competing for the same job without a college education, but not much when competing against 150 people with college educations.

And the thing that gets me the most is the accusation that young people today are fragile. I call bullshit. That's a piece of shit head in the sand reply to something you don't know about, something that doesn't fit within your cozy, privileged life motto. Young people today grow up learning to recognize the difference between cooperation and gaslighting. Young people today grow up learning they don't have to be quiet when an otherwise trusted adult abused them. Young people today grow up learning they don't have to be ashamed of emotions they simply cannot help, be it sexual in nature or something like bipolar disorder.

Recognizing challenges and addressing them through friends, knowing your limits, and therapy isn't a weakness. It's called not being a victim, so enough with the pull yourselves up by the bootstraps bullshit. That philosophy leads to alcoholism, sexual predation, addictions, and whatever coping mechanism seems to work at the time when appropriate coping mechanisms were never introduced. Shame doesn't work as well as they think it did for their generation. There generation was the generation of hiding "embarrassing" family members, from Uncle Stickshisdickeverywhere to the aunt with Down Syndrome to the uncle with an autistic spectrum disorder, just challenging enough to make social deep and meaningful connections impossible but not enough to send to the distant cousins to help out on the farm or to point them the way to the city and tell them fuck off and good luck.

Huh. Had no idea how much I needed to get that out. Thank you.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Professor
  • Darwins +360/-39
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 10:33:40 PM »
BM
I am not sure how to describe the intricacies of this Hell, so I chose to begin with the most common or prominent theme of Hell, which is uncertainty.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +625/-67
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 02:30:44 AM »
In my experience, this is most adults. These complaints go back to the time of Socrates and earlier.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +165/-7
  • Born without religion
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 08:24:26 AM »
"self-infatuated". I've never encountered that term before, but I like it. Very fitting. It's much worse than being selfish.

Here's a nugget for you: I'm past middle age, but I'm also too young to qualify as a boomer. The generation that was supposed to Make America Great has largely decided to Make America Great Again, which is just overly medicated people having fantasies of things that never were. I've come to see how older generations always complain about younger generations and the things they do. "We never did that back in our day!"  OH YES THEY DID!  And I let them know. I show them news articles about how they did things more stupid than chewing on Tide pods.

I understand your point (even as a rant which I am wont to make), but I don't blame a generation for these things. Rather, I blame a socioeconomic class for all the bullshit they cause. Those who claim that they did everything on their own -- "I built this" -- who lack any appreciation for how society actually works and who merely use people as robots. I have come to the conclusion that most of our problems are either caused by or perpetuated by libertarians. People who are all in it for themselves under the guise of defending your personal freedoms while you have no idea that they are plotting behind the scenes. The I-built-this group thinks that they deserve more money and respect because everyone else is just lazy or untalented. Recent events have proven yet again that Silicon Valley long ago turned away from people who want to make a better personal computer (mainly for hobbyists) to a segment of society that has no idea what havoc it has wrought, and apparently has no idea how to control themselves. Another industry is just a bunch of glorified street thugs pushing prescription pills on people to the point where an entire state receives so many shipments of pain medication that there is a supply for every man, woman and child to take 3 daily doses ... every day. But hey, the stock price is through the roof!

It has been long brewing with the mantra of "lower taxes, smaller government", yet when that is put into force what has it given us? Excessive debt (mortgages, education, credit cards, etc), social problems (drug addicts, no mental health care, silly arguments about what women do with their vaginas including, but not limited to, shoving rocks inside -- to the point you must rename your vagina to something else just so you can acclimate to the idea of shoving a rock in it, etc) and idolatry (god, military, cell phone).

It's all about money. Hell, there's even a song about it:

A company can't just make a profit, or even a healthy profit once in a while. No. A company has to continually make higher profits every year or "it's a dog" or "they are failing", and "they're ripe for a takeover". Really?

We should start taxing the fuck out of people with high incomes. Do you really need a 40,000 square-foot house when there are homeless people on the streets who need 3 hots and a cot, or just some mental health care? Do you really need a 10,000 square-foot house? How about some free prophylactics so that people stop reproducing homelessness, drug addicts and cell mates? How about people who have to create GoFundMe pages just to see how many people they know or how many like them well enough -- and have enough money -- to contribute to paying their deductibles and co-pay for chemo? (That's assuming they have insurance in the first place.) Or, just to help fund their own income for 3-4 months because they can't work following a car accident and don't have disability insurance or enough savings to cover paying the rent?

I'm becoming an old man. Yes, I am. I am progressively moving to telling people off about how unprogressive and anti-social they are. It's the sociopaths perpetuating this upon the rest of us. We must fight back.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +446/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 12:10:48 PM »
Don't get me started, Chronos!  ;D

I talk face to face with people who get seriously angry when I ask them to think about corporate profit limits, or personal income limits, or higher taxes past an income point, etc. One function of government would be to apply those limits when it becomes obvious that individuals and corporations will not do it themselves. No matter how much better the health of our societies could be as a result of responsible individuals and companies who are as dedicated to their communities as they are to their profits, they still want no government involvement or interference.

Taken to an extreme, if all individuals, groups, and companies were more altruistic, there would be very little need for big government in the first place! But - people just cannot escape their greed for more, more, more - at the expense of everyone and everything around them. To hell with healthy, well balanced societies with economic opportunity for all, "I got mine, fvck you!" is the sentiment from so many. And, no, it's not really a new thing. The illusion of "freedom" in the United States with it's addiction to unfettered capitalism is also it's shame. Of course, I'm speaking outside of any expertise on true numbers, so it would be great to have some good meta-analysis on what corporations do for their communities relative to their profits.

If someone like Elon Musk is beholden to investors who want a financial return, how much power does he really have to truly innovate and potentially move the world forward in clean energy? He's making progress, to be sure, but how much further could he go? Apparently, Apple now has more value than any company in history - but what does it do with that money? How well are the rank-and-file employees compensated, and what are they doing for communities outside of their involvement in education (which is fantastic, of course.)

I'm hearing that companies profits in many sectors are at all-time highs, yet their cash-on-hand is also very high - which means they are not investing. Why? Are they saving it for a rainy day? Hasn't it been pouring every day since the election of a third-rate reality TV personality with enough bankruptcies to warrant a deeper investigation.

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +277/-2
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 12:33:29 PM »
   What I don't like is our new business models.  An example.  My grandmother bought a Frigidaire refrigerator in 1950.  When they downsized in 1990, the thing was humming right along.  It still may be working somewhere for all I know.  So we have the expertise to manufacture a refrigerator that works that long.  (Now possibly it's the loss of Freon, and people like to redesign kitchens, so businesses may be just responding,  but nevertheless, refrigerators now die at 12-15 years).  ( Europe is talking about stopping this planned obsolescence)

Another pet peeve is taxes.  People tend to want more government help, but lower taxes.  (wHaT!!!?!???!)  Absurd.   America desperately needs a common sense leader that says "No, we are raising taxes and fixing our infrastructure."  We have sewers designed for half of the cities populations, we should be able to have a super high speed cross country train, we need to develop a solar energy/ battery system now  (some thought even The Donald may have been that guy...alas....jail...  &)).

Still some of the problems are due to the evolution of the human society, and how our brains develop, work, and respond.  Evolutionarily, humans are not keeping up with technology.  Here is a lecture about it.

We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Who cares if Kim Jung-Un gets a nuke. Nukes don’t kill people, people kill people.”

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +165/-7
  • Born without religion
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 08:09:31 PM »
If someone like Elon Musk is beholden to investors who want a financial return, how much power does he really have to truly innovate and potentially move the world forward in clean energy?

Really, not at all. He can spend his money the way he wants, but when he took the company public (in order to start using OPM more often) that ended. I wouldn't be surprised to see his butt kicked out the door.

Apparently, Apple now has more value than any company in history - but what does it do with that money?

I think most of it is parked in Ireland, just sitting there to avoid paying US taxes. That is all.

Also, no matter how skilled Steve Jobs was at selling the product, and skilled he was, he was not known for altruism. Considering his wealth, he spent for his own family modestly compared to most billionaires, but he didn't do anything equal to Bill Gates and Warren Buffet in giving away their money, though in those cases, all that glitters isn't gold.

How well are the rank-and-file employees compensated ...

Well, they got rid of the unions and made everyone think that being in a union is a shitty proposition and for which they continue to deride anyone who is in a union (notably, teachers) or speaks well of unions (but also notice that they don't really touch police/fire unions because, you know, they exist to make sure others don't get out of control). We can all reflect how incomes have stagnated since the unions have been busted and the workers who, well, Made America Great are screwed.

I'm hearing that companies profits in many sectors are at all-time highs, yet their cash-on-hand is also very high - which means they are not investing. Why? Are they saving it for a rainy day? Hasn't it been pouring every day since the election of a third-rate reality TV personality with enough bankruptcies to warrant a deeper investigation.

They certainly aren't sharing all those profits with anyone else, right? Are we seeing higher incomes among all workers? Nope. Are we seeing lower debt for mortgages, cars and educations? Nope.

"Freedom" is a euphemism for "don't tax me bro".
"Don't tread on me" is a euphemism for "keep your paws off my money".

Actual freedom is not having to worry about so many mundane things in life, like will you have a roof over your head, some food to eat or some basic health care that you can just get without having to wonder whether you qualify or can afford it. Universal health care is the actual freedom to choose a different job knowing that you don't have to keep chugging along at something awful just because the insurance pays for the meds you need. Notice how all the libertarians pop their claws out when any of us even mention health care for all. They freak out.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +165/-7
  • Born without religion
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 08:34:28 PM »
   What I don't like is our new business models.  An example.  My grandmother bought a Frigidaire refrigerator in 1950.  When they downsized in 1990, the thing was humming right along.  It still may be working somewhere for all I know.  So we have the expertise to manufacture a refrigerator that works that long.  (Now possibly it's the loss of Freon, and people like to redesign kitchens, so businesses may be just responding,  but nevertheless, refrigerators now die at 12-15 years).  ( Europe is talking about stopping this planned obsolescence)

Well, your grandmother's fridge used a lot more electricity and, consequently, generated a lot more heat than fridges of today. However, one of the reasons fridges today break so often is because we want them to be a lot more than just fridges. They have to give us clean water, ice (block or chopped), dispense juice and coffee, have multiple doors so that we can stare inside without opening, have iPad-like interfaces so that we can watch porn while thinking about whether we'll eat a salad or warm up the chicken from last night or put an app on our phones that let's us know if we are running low on milk before we arrive home.

Seriously, why can't a fridge just be a fridge? Why does just needing to keep your food cold have to turn into a freaking iPad-Alexa-Roomba experience that sometimes just won't connect to the WiFi no matter what you do?

Also, are you suggesting that we make things that are easy to repair so that we harm the environment less? YOU UNPATRIOTIC SCUMBAG!!!

Another pet peeve is taxes.  People tend to want more government help, but lower taxes.  (wHaT!!!?!???!) 

Caused by libertarians training people to think that they, personally, are being over-taxed, when in reality we just need to put civics back on the high school curriculum instead of so many subjects available today such as -- I shit thee not -- photography, culinary arts and "business management".  What the actual fuck?

For anyone who thinks "culinary arts" is just "home-ec" rebranded for the current generation, I submit to you that "culinary arts" are taught in communities where most every house gets a kitchen remodel every 5 years that costs more than the median home price in America. These kitchens include Viking stoves that are only turned on by the installer to make sure they work, not to mention sub-zero fridges (ahem) that are larger than the average bedroom closet from 1970 and yet do not contain a sufficient amount of food to actually make a sandwich much less engage in culinary arts. Everybody eats out.

Absurd.   America desperately needs a common sense leader someone with balls and a spine that says "No, we are raising taxes and fixing our infrastructure."

FTFY ;)

We have sewers designed for half of the cities populations, we should be able to have a super high speed cross country train, we need to develop a solar energy/ battery system now  (some thought even The Donald may have been that guy...alas....jail...  &)).

OMG! You mean we should invest in other people instead of the $1.6M McMansion on Arlington Road?  YOU SCOUNDREL!!

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +240/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 08:49:16 PM »
One of the biggest fears of the baby boomer seems to be that some welfare queen or person too lazy to work is going to benefit from their hard earned money.  They can not wrap their head around the fact the most social services and free health care goes to people who actually need it.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +145/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 08:50:23 PM »
In my experience, this is most adults. These complaints go back to the time of Socrates and earlier.
This seems to be a bit dismissive. Was that your intent?
"A resurrected person who is also the son of a virgin could still be talking nonsense. There's no logic that says he must be right. " Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +165/-7
  • Born without religion
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 09:13:20 PM »
One of the biggest fears of the baby boomer seems to be that some welfare queen or person too lazy to work is going to benefit from their hard earned money.  They can not wrap their head around the fact the most social services and free health care goes to people who actually need it.

They fail to recognize that when they put grandma in the nursing home it was Medicaid that paid for it. Well, she deserves it, doesn't she? Grammy never complained, worked hard every day and never sucked off the Merkin teat. Nope. Not until she spent 8 years in a nursing home at a cost of $50K per year, for which the total of $400K is likely far more than gramps and grammy paid in taxes for the prior 20 years. This doesn't even include grammy's meds ...

Why learn math when things just don't add up?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +625/-67
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 02:42:28 AM »
This seems to be a bit dismissive. Was that your intent?

It was meant to point out that this problem is not exclusive to any one generation nor any one country. This is just how most adults are.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +356/-4
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 04:11:30 PM »
It was meant to point out that this problem is not exclusive to any one generation nor any one country. This is just how most adults are.

I generally see this in the other direction - the older generation laments about how the younger generation is taking society to hell in a handbasket. If anything, I've experienced the stereotyping of older generations as simply being outdated and so their views are no longer relevant. However, I do think you're right to remind us to watch out for falling for stereotypes, and appreciate that reminder. But I think the OP gives good examples of how this issue presents an observable model on which to draw.

This particular calling out of Boomer's ideologies seems appropriate to me in that we can see a strong adherence to a faith-based claim, namely the American Dream (which I understand to be the claim that opportunity and rewards exist for those who are willing to work). To me, this claim is taken on faith, confirmed through bias, and any evidence to the contrary is systematically ignored. I don't mean all Boomers do this, not by any means, but there is enough concrete examples to observe a trend. And the problem is, enough of them rely on this faith and we can see just how detrimental it really is.

Then again, I do believe each generation is a product of their environments and we shouldn't really be surprised to see an entire demographic assume entitlement when they were raised in a culture that encouraged them to believe just that. Still, it is difficult, and frustrating, and at times hurtful, to see when someone values their faith more than those around them.