Author Topic: Sexual Abuse scandal in the Catholic Church  (Read 264 times)

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +145/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
Sexual Abuse scandal in the Catholic Church
« on: August 14, 2018, 06:25:52 PM »
The local Catholic Diocese and several other diocese in the area are in the news today regarding their complicity in the cover up of sexual abuse on a grand scale. I'm talking grand jury report that's hundreds of pages long with at least a thousand credible victims. The Attorney General, Josh Shapiro, said " “The truth is (former Bishop Donald) Trautman and the diocese of Erie intentionally waited out the statute of limitations and curbed their own investigation to avoid finding additional victims.”  Here is the summary of the Grand Jury report: The Grand Jury uncovered evidence of child sexual abuse committed by priests in the Diocese of Erie. Evidence showed that Roman Catholic priests engaged in sexual contact with minors, including grooming and fondling of genitals and/or intimate body parts, as well as penetration of the vagina, mouth, or anus. The evidence also showed that Diocesan administrators,including the Bishops, had knowledge of this conduct and yet priests were regularly placed in ministry after the Diocese was on notice that a complaint of child sexual abuse had been made.

“This conduct enabled offenders and endangered the welfare of children. Evidence also showed that the Diocese made settlements with victims and had discussions with lawyers regarding the sexual conduct of priests with children. Further, these settlements contained confidentiality agreements forbidding victims from speaking about such abuse under threat of some penalty, such as legal action to recover previously paid settlement monies.

“Finally, the Grand Jury received evidence that several Diocesan administrators, including the Bishops, often dissuaded victims from reporting abuse to police, pressured law enforcement to terminate or avoid an investigation, or conducted their own deficient, biased investigating without reporting crimes against children to the proper authorities.”

Absolutely devastating. Here is the link to the story. http://www.goerie.com/news/20180814/catholic-diocese-of-erie-and-grand-jury-report-latest#

One thing that I notice is missing in all of the discussion though is PUNISHMENT. How are these sick and evil people going to be punished? The Catholic Church, when not restrained by the values of a secular society, brutally tortures people to death for imaginary crimes. Surely they could rustle up some thumbscrews or a stake to deal with these monsters. But it will never happen. Hopefully we at least get the satisfaction of seeing some of these creepy old men thrown in jail for the rest of their lives.

I also wonder: how do people still send their kids to the Catholic Church? I think that parents who send their kids to the Catholic Church, and the kids are then raped, the parents should be held responsible too. OR even better, the Catholic Church should be permanently shut down.
"A resurrected person who is also the son of a virgin could still be talking nonsense. There's no logic that says he must be right. " Christopher Hitchens

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +444/-25
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: Sexual Abuse scandal in the Catholic Church
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 07:15:44 PM »
indeed, how do people continue to be Catholics?  It takes selfishness of a monumental degree for parents to keep putting their kids into such a situation. 

these people are vile.  If I had been a victim, I don't know that I wouldn't be taking revenge on priests and all of their enablers. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 07:45:12 PM »
I think it was a few years ago the Catholic church was sending out mailers wanting to know why former church goers stopped attending services. I was never Catholic, but I think disassociating with a repeated sexual assault organization that takes great measures to cover up its crimes against humanity would have to be near the top of the list.   
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +98/-3
  • Searching for truth without cherrypicking
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 08:56:04 PM »
indeed, how do people continue to be Catholics?  It takes selfishness of a monumental degree for parents to keep putting their kids into such a situation. 

these people are vile.  If I had been a victim, I don't know that I wouldn't be taking revenge on priests and all of their enablers.

It could be most don't know. I didn't know for quite a while, and I'm not sure how many of my Catholic acquaintances know.
"It is always darker right before the light.  Or for some people, it just stays dark, but they don't seem to notice."

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +446/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 09:14:56 PM »
Sadly, much damage is done, and I don't see any justice coming for the victims. Back when the previous Pope was caught up in the scandal I told some Catholic friends that they should find another church. They were not moved by the situation and are still involved - probably because they are only Catholic by name, and not by practice. But still, I reminded them that they are propping up the abuse by proxy by continuing to label themselves.

Bill Maher once said something along the lines of "If the Catholic Church was an international child care business, the entire leadership would be in jail."

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +119/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 05:11:19 AM »
I read up on this yesterday, a portion of the evidence came from the Catholic Church's own documents. Also, one thing that got to me, the priests would give favored children their gold crosses, this was a signal to other predators in the church that this child was an easy target. This is one of the sickest, most evil  things I've heard of and it was perpetrated by God's so called messengers. 

Across the globe these stories keep coming out, the Catholic Church was/is a child predator social club, they are implicated from top to bottom. 
“In all very numerous assemblies, of whatever characters composed, passion never fails to wrest the sceptre from reason,”

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +625/-67
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 05:15:43 AM »
Religion attracts "people" like this because they're devoid of any consequence or oversight[1]. Churches need to be held accountable for their actions, and those who cover up these crimes need to be put in prison.
 1. God sure as hell isn't watching, or if he is, he's not doing anything about these child molesters.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +444/-25
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 07:15:08 AM »

It could be most don't know. I didn't know for quite a while, and I'm not sure how many of my Catholic acquaintances know.

I have to question that.  It's been in the news in some form for at least 15 years since the Boston spotlight investigation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Archdiocese_of_Boston_sex_abuse_scandal
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +402/-9
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 11:34:36 AM »
It is sick and there is no justification or excuses for it.  But you can guarantee Catholics will continue to fill the collection plates.  We sometimes talk about how many wars religion has caused.  This could be every bit as bad or worse.  You cannot tell me any of these priests believe in a God.  If they did they would not have done this.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +356/-4
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 01:22:38 PM »

And those that do figure this is a problem with those men specifically in that region only. What a shame. Such is life in this veil of tears. It just means they didn't *really* have the holy ghoul animating their soul, but the church militant itself is a holy entity and besides, the RCC is the only place to get the sacraments.

[This is what I believed when I learned about the Boston Globe exposé - only after the fact]

In other words, cognitive dissonance. We learn to just look away.

I remember a scene from a Doctor Who with Martha and the Doctor and Martha wore these kinds of badges around their necks that made people just ignore them, just look away. They could stand in plain sight and no one would notice or remember them. It's like that. The appeal of immortality and an invisible, magical bodyguard who will eventually make all the nasty people pay is just too great an appeal to let something like this get in the way of faith.

And yes, it is remarkably selfish. The idea that my beliefs were more valuable than knowing what I was supporting through my efforts and my money cannot be justified in any way I can think.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 01:24:18 PM by albeto »

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +356/-4
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 01:28:09 PM »
Religion attracts "people" like this because they're devoid of any consequence or oversight[1]. Churches need to be held accountable for their actions, and those who cover up these crimes need to be put in prison.
 1. God sure as hell isn't watching, or if he is, he's not doing anything about these child molesters.

I think you're right on the money. Last I looked into it, the statistics of sexual abuse in protestant churches is similar, so it's not a problem unique to catholic clergy. I think you're precisely right that people who are inspired by these kinds of sadistic acts know religious communities are far more likely to encourage and manipulate obedience and loyalty, and silence.

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +555/-11
  • Proudly 'biased' against the supernatural
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 09:35:22 AM »
Also, one thing that got to me, the priests would give favored children their gold crosses, this was a signal to other predators in the church that this child was an easy target. This is one of the sickest, most evil  things I've heard of and it was perpetrated by God's so called messengers. 

There are no words for the depths of depravity this demonstrates.

THIS is evil. There's no other word for it, and frankly, it barely feels adequate. This is precisely the kind of information that makes me happy to endorse evil in return - and that's the second worst thing about it. I could pretty easily be moved to commit equal evil in response to this, and that's more than a little disquieting.
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +119/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 02:32:00 PM »
Also, one thing that got to me, the priests would give favored children their gold crosses, this was a signal to other predators in the church that this child was an easy target. This is one of the sickest, most evil  things I've heard of and it was perpetrated by God's so called messengers. 

THIS is evil. There's no other word for it, and frankly, it barely feels adequate. This is precisely the kind of information that makes me happy to endorse evil in return - and that's the second worst thing about it. I could pretty easily be moved to commit equal evil in response to this, and that's more than a little disquieting.

How about this one!

For instance, one woman was raped by a priest at the age of seven in her hospital room after surgery on her tonsils, was raped again by the same priest at age 13, and then again at age 19 while pregnant; she considered suicide. What was the priest's punishment for that and the other rapes and molestations to which he admitted? Bishop Ronald Gainer of Harrisburg, in submitting the case to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, stated: “I believe the scandal caused by his admission of the sexual abuse of minor girls has been sufficiently repaired by acceptance of the penal precept.” In other words, Gainer did not want the priest defrocked and so, as punishment, The Congregation for the Doctrine of the faith decided, after reviewing his file, that the priest in question should lead a life of prayer and penance.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/grand-jury-report-about-catholic-priest-abuse-pennsylvania-shows-church-ncna900906
“In all very numerous assemblies, of whatever characters composed, passion never fails to wrest the sceptre from reason,”

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +555/-11
  • Proudly 'biased' against the supernatural
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 05:36:31 PM »
^^^Are you trying to set me off on a murderous rampage?
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +145/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 07:36:15 PM »
It is sick and there is no justification or excuses for it.  But you can guarantee Catholics will continue to fill the collection plates.  We sometimes talk about how many wars religion has caused.  This could be every bit as bad or worse.  You cannot tell me any of these priests believe in a God.  If they did they would not have done this.
Unless you are being sarcastic, I disagree. You say that they couldn't do something this evil if they actually believed in god? You're forgetting that this is a church that teaches that NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, if you ask you are forgiven and go to heaven. I Submit that it wouldn't be, I won't say possible, but it wouldn't be very probable that anyone would do this if they DIDN'T believe in a God. That's why there isn't some atheist institution doing this. I would kill myself to prevent myself from inflicting that degree of evil on someone. All they have to do is tell God "sorry" (even though God isn't the victim) and **MAGIC** you are totally a good person again! I generally dig your contributions Nick, but this is definitely one of the more fatuous things you have said. Not like, negative karma level, just seems like a blind spot or something.
"A resurrected person who is also the son of a virgin could still be talking nonsense. There's no logic that says he must be right. " Christopher Hitchens

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +444/-25
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 07:31:47 AM »
^^^Are you trying to set me off on a murderous rampage?

Indeed.

and I agree with Kaziglu.   when you think you can be forgiven for ANYTHING (except for telling the holy spook to fuck off) you think you can do anything. 

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +119/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 09:38:09 AM »

and I agree with Kaziglu.   when you think you can be forgiven for ANYTHING (except for telling the holy spook to fuck off) you think you can do anything.

Maybe these priests/predators realized the church allows them protected access to their victims, so they fake it and fuck what god thinks. Probably a combo of both. Either way they paid for it through prayers and penance.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +625/-67
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 10:17:01 AM »

Maybe these priests/predators realized the church allows them protected access to their victims, so they fake it and fuck what god thinks. Probably a combo of both. Either way they paid for it through prayers and penance.

I spoke with God (sic), and he said he'd only be satisfied with castration in cold blood.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +356/-4
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 11:35:41 AM »
I agree with Kaziglu.   when you think you can be forgiven for ANYTHING (except for telling the holy spook to fuck off) you think you can do anything.

I can't see it. After the fact, sure. They'll talk themselves into anything to relieve whatever guilt they may have. But during the hunt? Really? I think it's the same as Xian wearing seatbelts and using medicine. They believe in a god who supposedly can and will protect them, but not really. So they behave in ways to prevent an untimely death. Priests who hunt kids down, groom them, share them, take pictures while raping them, these priests don't believe in a god any more than they believe prayer will keep them safe jaywalking with their eyes closed.

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +356/-4
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 01:37:21 PM »

It's okay. A Pennsylvania bishop named in a grand jury report on rampant sexual abuse by Roman Catholic clergy is holding a Mass of forgiveness. And Bill Donohue of the Catholic League has debunked the report (report linked in article).

Myth: The abusive priests were pedophiles.

Fact: This is the greatest lie of them all, repeated non-stop by the media,
and late-night talk TV hosts.
There have been two scandals related to the sexual abuse of minors in the
Catholic Church. Scandal I involves the enabling bishops who covered it
up. Scandal II involves the media cover-up of the role played by gay
molesters.

Mother. Fuckers.

Meanwhile, I'm in the process of getting my name formally removed from the RCC's roster: https://www.catholicdoors.com/faq/qu286.htm. It makes me sick to my stomach that I was ever involved in such a scam. The horrible thing is, I recall when the Cloyne report came out, I felt this way too, but didn't do anything about it. How awful that only because it's closer to home does it inspire action over previous laziness. I'm so embarrassed. I keep apologizing to my kids for ever having brought them up in this horror-show. I can never make it up to my husband for having endured my insanity when I took their claims seriously, and this is where they spent their efforts! Billions of dollars offered and promised, and many diocese claiming bankruptcy so they don't have to pay - as if money is the issue. I bought it. Hook, line, and sinker. I believed them. And with my money they paid office staff and lawyers to reroute rapists of children.

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +119/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 02:19:33 PM »
It's okay. A Pennsylvania bishop named in a grand jury report on rampant sexual abuse by Roman Catholic clergy is holding a Mass of forgiveness. And Bill Donohue of the Catholic League has debunked the report (report linked in article).

This is wonderful news, prayers for forgiveness. Rumor has it they may even pray for the victims. This is the kind of strong action I expected the RCC to take.

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +119/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 02:48:17 PM »
I brought this subject up to a co-worker yesterday. She is a fairly devote Catholic. She kept saying that was then and now is now. The RCC is now screening the applicants for priesthood. Constantly diverted the subject to, in the old days they would take anybody, if they were in debt the church would pay off their debt, now-a-days they won't take them if they're in debt. Any question I asked she would jump to, now they're being screened. Totally avoided discussing what these bastards did.

She will gang up on me (Atheist) when with people of other religions, but when I get her alone and challenge her using the other people's religion she says stuff like, that religion is a cult, or she/he's one of those Baptist, or some other phrase knocking the other religion. She is one of the biggest hypocrites I've ever talked to, exactly what the RCC wants in their flock. I've worked with girl for over ten years and the last 5 we've been partners in our department, it kills me to work with her, I consider her one very low life form. Her children all went to Catholic school, she did the mandatory soup kitchen serving the homeless once e semester for her kids. Would come in and say, I can't believe how bad some of these people have it but do nothing else. When the Pope visited and gave Congress a bible supposedly worth a million dollars I asked her, how many soup kitchens do you think that million dollar bible could open?

PS, she's a Trumpee Gullible.

Offline The Gawd

• Reader
  • Darwins +148/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2018, 07:29:22 PM »
One thing I always try to point out when religious people condemn the Catholic church for the raping of kids is that, as far as I know, there is no condemnation of pedophilia in the bible. So, if these deplorable creatures get their morality from the Bible, Yahweh, and Jesus then they wouldn't necessarily have done anything wrong.

This kind of goes back to the defense of Roy Moore in backwards Alabama. This is not just a Catholic thing, they just have a well defined infrastructure that is easy point the blame at. Evangelicals are pro-pedo too. I mean, Yahweh, who is older than time itself, felt it necessary to impregnate a pre-teen Mary who was engaged to a grown man Joseph. The pedophilia in Christianity is inescapable whether it be Catholic or Protestant.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +444/-25
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 09:08:30 AM »
One thing I always try to point out when religious people condemn the Catholic church for the raping of kids is that, as far as I know, there is no condemnation of pedophilia in the bible. So, if these deplorable creatures get their morality from the Bible, Yahweh, and Jesus then they wouldn't necessarily have done anything wrong.

This kind of goes back to the defense of Roy Moore in backwards Alabama. This is not just a Catholic thing, they just have a well defined infrastructure that is easy point the blame at. Evangelicals are pro-pedo too. I mean, Yahweh, who is older than time itself, felt it necessary to impregnate a pre-teen Mary who was engaged to a grown man Joseph. The pedophilia in Christianity is inescapable whether it be Catholic or Protestant.

there isn't anything in the bible that says pedophilia is wrong in the bible.  Heck that pile of shit says it's okay to sell one's daughter and it's okay to have sex with your daughter, out of all of the things it says you can't do.   

Offline The Gawd

• Reader
  • Darwins +148/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 03:56:13 PM »

there isn't anything in the bible that says pedophilia is wrong in the bible.  Heck that pile of shit says it's okay to sell one's daughter and it's okay to have sex with your daughter, out of all of the things it says you can't do.

Yahweh meets you where you're at  :o