Author Topic: Church Blackmail  (Read 285 times)

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +119/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Church Blackmail
« on: August 11, 2018, 09:04:31 AM »
Continued form a different thread - http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?action=post;quote=735836;topic=31270.0

Our close friend's daughter was making her confirmation and my wife was to be her sponsor, but the church declined her because she/we weren't married in a Catholic Ceremony. So they married us quickly (2 weeks time) in a small side chapel with only very close family members, eight people maybe.  They had my records from my two previous parishes and knew I was never confirmed. They got a donation for our wedding, then the donation for the girls confirmation. Talk about blackmail.

My understanding is you need to be confirmed before you can be married, I remember; Baptized, Communion, Confirmation, Marriage, and Sacrament of the Sick, or as it was known back then; Last Rites.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:07:29 AM by stuffin »
Don't stop smiling at the world and keep your head full of hope.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +446/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: Church Blackmail
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 10:35:09 AM »
Yes, I'm not surprised. Although, I will say that the Catholic church seems to be less dogmatic about age of earth, evolution, and other social issues. Of course, my contention is that the Catholic church leadership is wholly out of touch with the Catholic community. It seems the members of the church are less preachy, and less devoted to evangelism overall. But, their rules and doctrine are some of the worst, in my opinion.

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +360/-4
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 11:07:22 AM »
Yeah, that's funny how they absolutely will not renegotiate their rituals no matter what, but can be flexible with dogma. I think they have evolved to be flexible with dogma simply because Catholics just don't care as much as the clergy about what the church teaches. If they're going to maintain their cash cow, they've learned they have to just roll with the punches. I don't think there's anything conscious about it, it's just purely responsive as a reward to stimuli.

They can afford to not be flexible with their rituals because that's what makes the RCC the RCC. People go for the ritual, the tradition. It just doesn't "feel right" to not do all the bells and whistles the way you were raised. Doesn't matter how you feel about the ritual (if you believe it is literal, metaphorical, or just a quaint tradition), there's still the expectation of what it looks like. Funny how greasing the palm of the priest can allow one to cheat just this one time though. It only goes to show the people are no more influenced by holiness than the ancient documents.

Offline clip11

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 06:50:54 PM »
Yes, I'm not surprised. Although, I will say that the Catholic church seems to be less dogmatic about age of earth, evolution, and other social issues. Of course, my contention is that the Catholic church leadership is wholly out of touch with the Catholic community. It seems the members of the church are less preachy, and less devoted to evangelism overall. But, their rules and doctrine are some of the worst, in my opinion.
I was always told that Catholics had unscriptural practices

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +406/-9
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 08:03:02 AM »
I was always told that Catholics had unscriptural practices
Yeah. non Catholics like to say that but I always found it odd because the Catholic Church wrote the bible, or at least the 2nd half.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline The Gawd

• Reader
  • Darwins +152/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 07:28:24 PM »
I was always taught Catholics believed in and did non scriptural stuff. I had some Catholic friends growing up, but never actually went to a Catholic service until a funeral a couple years ago. It was then I realized for the 1st time exactly how different the services were from my Baptist and Methodist upbringing. In some ways already mentioned in this thread I actually find Catholicism superior to Protestantism; generally speaking they don't read the bible and the Pope gets to decide what they believe (or should believe). Since it's hard for me to imagine a worse book to live by than the bible this overall seems like a good trade off (my guess is the Church knew what type of bullshit was in the book and needed a work around). However, this child rape scandal makes me pump the brakes on crowning them.

And their money hustle game is unmatched. Even the NCAA doesn't come close.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +406/-9
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 08:56:30 AM »
Well, to be fair, money does not grow on trees and the church is having to pay out large amounts of money to cover legal fees and such.  Keep filling those collection plates.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Professor
  • Darwins +360/-39
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 11:45:41 AM »
I just gotta say that the title of this thread messes with my mind every time I see it. My middle name is Church and my last name is Blackwell.

I am not sure how to describe the intricacies of this Hell, so I chose to begin with the most common or prominent theme of Hell, which is uncertainty.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +406/-9
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 04:34:30 PM »
Your middle name is "Church"???  Really?  Why?

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Professor
  • Darwins +360/-39
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 06:48:39 PM »
Mother's maiden name. Papaw Church only had two girls. So my mom and her sister each gave one of their chilren the middle name in honor of their dad. I gave one of my daughters the middle name also. If my cousin ever has kids he plans on doing the same.
I am not sure how to describe the intricacies of this Hell, so I chose to begin with the most common or prominent theme of Hell, which is uncertainty.