Author Topic: if the moon were only one pixel  (Read 226 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +446/-25
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
if the moon were only one pixel
« on: August 10, 2018, 09:01:12 AM »
http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

a image of what the solar system is in size if the moon was a pixel.

scrolling, and scrolling and scrolling..... ;D
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +446/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: if the moon were only one pixel
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 09:21:35 AM »
Wow. I stopped after Jupiter.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +171/-2
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 02:50:17 PM »
Quite liked the lightspeed function
2 Interwebs 7:42
And in the seventh year, thou shalt cast out the Nam from thine assembly for he haveth a potty mouth.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +446/-25
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 02:59:25 PM »
Quite liked the lightspeed function

I didn't even notice that. Very cool!
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 11:52:40 AM »
It was boring but interesting.
I think it take me about half a hour to browse fully the map.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 01:54:30 PM »

Huh?  :-\

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 02:20:32 PM »
Cool! Thanks for the share.

Offline CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +98/-3
  • Searching for truth without cherrypicking
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 09:01:24 PM »
I saw this first on a Reddit thread a few months ago! Really interesting and shows the true distance and how massive space is!
"It is always darker right before the light.  Or for some people, it just stays dark, but they don't seem to notice."

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +446/-25
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 02:45:01 PM »
I saw this first on a Reddit thread a few months ago! Really interesting and shows the true distance and how massive space is!

I love space stuff.   Never can remember who I've told, but I had an internship at the National Air and Space Museum. :)   And when I was way little, a family friend worked at NASA and sent me all of these great photos.  I was always sad that, being nearsighted as hell, I would never get to be an astronaught.  I wanted to be a planetary geologist but that wasn't in the cards. 

Offline CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +98/-3
  • Searching for truth without cherrypicking
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 10:38:38 PM »

I love space stuff.   Never can remember who I've told, but I had an internship at the National Air and Space Museum. :)   And when I was way little, a family friend worked at NASA and sent me all of these great photos.  I was always sad that, being nearsighted as hell, I would never get to be an astronaught.  I wanted to be a planetary geologist but that wasn't in the cards.

*high fives for also being a space enthusiast*

That's so awesome that you had that as an internship! What did you do there? Was it fun? And what were the pictures of? That sounds so cool!

When I was a kid I thought of being an astronaut or a paleontologist, but then I found out I wouldn't be able to for the former at least. Oh well, being a writer can have my characters be astronauts instead if I want.
"It is always darker right before the light.  Or for some people, it just stays dark, but they don't seem to notice."

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +446/-25
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 07:31:34 AM »

*high fives for also being a space enthusiast*

That's so awesome that you had that as an internship! What did you do there? Was it fun? And what were the pictures of? That sounds so cool!

I'll have to dig out some pictures.  I worked with the spacesuit collection and I did some work for the planetarium.  We were doing a project to update the pictures we could show around constellations to indicate what the ancients thought they saw.  I got to go up to the Library of Congress to look to look at Renaissance era books (white gloves and all) with that era's drawings.  We had a very talented young African American man as an intern too, and he was doing the drawings.  He showed me his portfolio and it was mostly the X-Men and Iron Maiden type drawings which, I, as a nerd, loved. 

The spacesuits were very cool (and literally so since they had to be stored in climate controlled coolers to preserve them).  I worked with all of them, from the silvery Mercury/Gemini ones (which are degrading and turning orange) to the Apollo ones (which were filthy from moon dust), and even some of the experimental ones.  I had to create a database for all of the bits we had. 

I also had the chance to rummage round in the storage buildings.  It was straight out of the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, with all of the wooden crates :)  One of the weirdest things I saw was a stuffed lion from WWI.  It was the mascot of one of the flying units over there. This was back in the late 80's, so they were working on restoring the Enola Gay, a prototype Nazi jet fighter made by slave labor where the slaves just "happened" to make the electronic connections in the shape of Stars of David, and the back up Hubble Space Telescope. 

When I was a kid I thought of being an astronaut or a paleontologist, but then I found out I wouldn't be able to for the former at least. Oh well, being a writer can have my characters be astronauts instead if I want.

yep, we can live out things in our characters :) 

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 12:01:23 PM »

Huh?  :-\

It was boring because I needed about a half hour to browse fully the map.
But it was interesting to see a map of our solar system on this scale.
This is what I wanted to say when I wrote "It was boring but interesting".

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 12:21:48 PM »
Ah, got you! Thanks for explaining. 8)

Offline MikeTheUnconvinced

• Freshman
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • Got evidence?
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 04:56:45 PM »
Thanks for sharing that link.

Why can't Earth's moon have a cool name? I mean there's Phobos, Ganymede, Enceladus. What gives?
I guess the Latin, Luna or the Greek, Selene are OK.  :D
"Faith is the excuse people give for believing in something when they don't have a good reason." -Matt Dillahunty
"The idea that a lot of people overlook is this reality that things that don't exist can't cause other things. If a thing doesn't exist then it can't be a cause." -Tracie Harris

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +171/-2
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 02:21:59 PM »
What about the planet we actually live on?
Just imagine, couple of centuries into the future. You walk into a spacebar, take a seat at the bar and order a pan-galactic gargleblaster.
The three-headed slightly amorphous gelatinous blob to your left asks, via his translator, "hey, I'm from Awesomename, where are you fom?"
You tell him the name of our planet and he replies, raising what you presume to be some sort of brow above an optical detection organ, "Dirt? You guys called your your home 'dirt' ... really? ... Really? ................Really? That's the best you could come up with?"
2 Interwebs 7:42
And in the seventh year, thou shalt cast out the Nam from thine assembly for he haveth a potty mouth.