Author Topic: Living in a parallel universe  (Read 107 times)

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +279/-2
Living in a parallel universe
« on: August 09, 2018, 06:42:25 PM »
Strange but interesting stuff

At 12:20, the video gets into modern parallel theories, and why the quantum world calls for parallel universes.
A lot of the discussion is based on the ideas of infinity, leading to :

From Reddit:
"Some infinite sets are larger than others. It's weird, but true. Think about this: There is an infinite amount of integers, right? I can count forever and never stop. By that logic, there is an infinite amount of odd integers. Even if I skip every even integer, I can still count forever. However, I'm only using half of them. Therefore, one infinite set is larger than the other.

Another example: There is an infinite amount of numbers between 0 and 1. Every fraction less than one is in there, from 1/2 to 3/8 to 13475/23498745. However, it pales in comparison to the set of every number, positive or negative, fraction or not. No competition. This set of all real numbers is inconceivably larger than the previous infinity.

There are an infinite amount of elephants in a room. Not one of them, therefore, is a tiger.
There is an infinite amount of animals in a room. There is an infinite number of tigers, and also an infinite number of elephants.
There's more animals than just elephants, therefore the total amount of animals is larger than these infinite elephants. Some infinities are larger than others, and can contain other, smaller infinities.

We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Who cares if Kim Jung-Un gets a nuke. Nukes don’t kill people, people kill people.”

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +449/-26
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: Living in a parallel universe
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 07:19:33 AM »
I love this stuff.  I remember reading about infinity in a magazine back in the 80s and they had the "infinite hotel" idea where there is an infinite number of even and odd number rooms.  That was one of the "whoa" moments I had, and started realizing that reality was quite a bit more awesome than this ridiculous religion I was following. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +627/-67
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 07:27:55 AM »
I love this stuff. I remember reading about infinity in a magazine back in the 80s and they had the "infinite hotel" idea where there is an infinite number of even and odd number rooms. That was one of the "whoa" moments I had, and started realizing that reality was quite a bit more awesome than this ridiculous religion I was following.

Reality is always more awesome than fiction because fiction is limited by human imagination.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +411/-9
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 08:04:54 AM »
I love this stuff. I remember reading about infinity in a magazine back in the 80s and they had the "infinite hotel" idea where there is an infinite number of even and odd number rooms. That was one of the "whoa" moments I had, and started realizing that reality was quite a bit more awesome than this ridiculous religion I was following.

Reality is always more awesome than fiction because fiction is limited by human imagination.
So are gods.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +447/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 08:26:09 AM »
I love this stuff.  I remember reading about infinity in a magazine back in the 80s and they had the "infinite hotel" idea where there is an infinite number of even and odd number rooms.  That was one of the "whoa" moments I had, and started realizing that reality was quite a bit more awesome than this ridiculous religion I was following.

Perfection taken to it's maximum extreme (infinity), is as elusive as the largest number that exists (spoiler, it doesn't exist). If God is maximum perfection, then God is meaningless, or nothing.

See how easy it is to disprove God!

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +627/-67
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 08:31:12 AM »

So are gods.

That's what I said.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 09:48:54 AM »
I watched the first few minutes of that video. Looks good and thanks for sharing! I’ll come back to those.

I think that this is a very fascinating idea.

Maybe in at least one other reality we’re all theists of some kind!

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +120/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 10:11:13 AM »
Reminds me of when I was young, <15y/o.

I don't remember if it was my dad or a teacher who put forth the proposition; If you take something (cake or a piece of paper) and you half it, then half the half, then half the quarter, then keep halving you will go on forever and never end up with nothing because there will always be half left (OUCH)!
Don't stop smiling at the world and keep your head full of hope.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +411/-9
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 10:50:08 AM »
Reminds me of when I was young, <15y/o.

I don't remember if it was my dad or a teacher who put forth the proposition; If you take something (cake or a piece of paper) and you half it, then half the half, then half the quarter, then keep halving you will go on forever and never end up with nothing because there will always be half left (OUCH)!
Kind of like wage growth in this country?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!