Author Topic: Tripping Over The Dividing Line Between The Quixotic And The Mundane  (Read 250 times)

Offline Angel

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-4
  • A Messenger
    • Gods And Men
Hello, everyone, I'm glad to have the opportunity to become a part of this forum I just discovered, through the God Is Imaginary website. I look forward to some debate and discussion on some of the other forums dedicated to that end . . . so, I'll see you there. I've selected the screen name Angel. My real name is David. I've been a regular on many forums like this one, for the past 23 years. Since 1996. I know how it works. I try to get along with everybody, and listen to what you have to say. I may disagree with you but there's no reason we can't get along, unless you just want to be an asshole, in which case I may or may not be in the mood to humor you.

I was an atheist, though only by definition in that I didn't believe in God, until I was 27 and picked up a Bible to see what it had to say for itself. And I became a believer. That was 23 years ago.

For a heads up on future discussions we may have on other forums, and not for discussion or debate here, my beliefs are very similar to, but not exactly like, the Jehovah's Witnesses. They were detrimental to my beginning to study the Bible and they are a big influence on me, I use their literature for research and study. That's enough for now, we can get to know each other better over time elsewhere.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:50:45 PM by Angel »
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Offline BibleStudent

• Fellow
  • Darwins +43/-164
Re: Tripping Over The Dividing Line Between The Quixotic And The Mundane
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 09:47:14 PM »
Welcome. Fellow theist here.

Offline Angel

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-4
  • A Messenger
    • Gods And Men
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 09:49:10 PM »
Welcome. Fellow theist here.

Thanks for the welcome, Bible Student. Nice screen name.
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 02:21:29 AM »
Welcome to the website! 8)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +406/-9
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 09:22:09 AM »
Welcome.  This will be interesting.  I wonder what you found in the bible that set you on this course.  Sounds like you are one of the "true" Christians.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +446/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 10:23:42 AM »
Welcome.

Perhaps in a future thread you can share some specifics on why you thought you were atheist in the first place. It is rare to hear that people converted from atheism to theism. Having said that, we have one member who is a self-proclaimed JW, and I converse with a friend in person who is a JW. That will add to my understanding to some of your perspectives, I suspect.

We have a shortage of theists on the site, so it can feel overwhelming for theists. Please just ask for some time if you get a lot of replies and cannot answer all of them. Check out our rules and etiquette links in my signature if you have not already done so.

Jetson

Offline Angel

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-4
  • A Messenger
    • Gods And Men
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 10:31:21 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, Emma, Nick, and Jetson. I look forward to our discussion and debate. Ask me anything over the course of my visit here and I will do my best to answer you.

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +360/-4
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 11:40:32 AM »
Welcome Angel!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +446/-25
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 02:15:42 PM »
now, that BS and angel don't agree on what being a Christian means, this should be fun.    Evangelical Christian vs wannabee Jehovah's witness. 

So, fellows, tell us why we should believe your version and not the other's?    You claim two drastically different "truths".  Why should we care about either of them since neither of you has any more evidence than the other? 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +406/-9
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 02:36:13 PM »
Two men walk into a closed room.  Only one will come out.  (I want Vegas odds before I put down my wager).
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 02:37:59 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, Emma, Nick, and Jetson. I look forward to our discussion and debate. Ask me anything over the course of my visit here and I will do my best to answer you.

You’re most welcome Angel and thank you, much appreciated. ;-)

I will point out that, generally, challenge/disagreement comments relating to religious beliefs aren’t personal - despite how they may appear on the surface (they can appear harsh despite intentions behind them not being bad). If you’re ever in any doubt as to where another member is coming from it’s probably worth asking them further questions on their reasoning.

Of course, it can happen on occasion that somebody resorts to nasty behaviour/verbal flaming just for the sake of being nasty. There is the ignore option if you feel you should ever need it. The moderators here are also always around to help as best as they can.

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +358/-117
  • MIGHT DOES NOT MAKE RIGHT. Seeing is believing!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 02:20:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum Angel. I am JB. I converted from theism to atheism, in large part, due to some very convincing arguments on this forum.

Like you, I went from theist to atheist to theist finally atheist again. The first time I became atheist was over anger not logic, and reason.

I look forward to debating you.

If you wanna make the world a better place,
Take a look at yourself, and then make a change...
Michael Jackson and Batman