Author Topic: Surgery allows young woman paralyzed in fall 10 years ago to walk again  (Read 143 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +446/-25
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-07-surgery-young-woman-paralyzed-fall.html

But the bullying escalated. One day at school, a group of students lured Perdomo near a window on the third floor—and then pushed her out.

In that instant, everything changed. The impact from the fall left Perdomo with fractured vertebra in the lower back and the loss of all sensation in her legs. She could no longer walk or control much of her lower bodily function, requiring her to use a wheelchair and a catheter.

"I had to begin to understand that this was my new situation," Perdomo said.

But just as Perdomo had been determined to stand up to the students bullying her, she was also determined to walk again. By a stroke of luck, her situation changed in 2010 when she was referred to Dr. Shlomo Raz, a UCLA urologist who was at the time working as a visiting professor at a hospital called Clínica El Bosque in Bogotá.

"As a result of Yadira's injury, she had lost control of a lot of the muscles people use without even thinking about in our everyday life," said Raz, who is a professor of urology at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and the chief of pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery.

In Bogotá, Raz performed a procedure called bilateral sacral nerve stimulation, during which he implanted a device in Perdomo's lower spine that sends electrical signals to the nerves of her pelvic floor muscles. The surgery Raz performed is rarely used for people with complex paralysis like Perdomo's; it's typically used for those who have lost control of their bladder, which is known as urge incontinence. In people with paralysis of the lower extremities, implanting the device rarely works because of the extensive damage to various nerves.

a lucky young women to live in a time where humans have figured this stuff out.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +406/-9
Praise science.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +626/-67
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Fucking psychopaths who threw her out of the window should be tried for attempted murder. I'm glad she's walking again, though.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline clip11

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-5
  • WWGHA Member
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-07-surgery-young-woman-paralyzed-fall.html

But the bullying escalated. One day at school, a group of students lured Perdomo near a window on the third floor—and then pushed her out.

In that instant, everything changed. The impact from the fall left Perdomo with fractured vertebra in the lower back and the loss of all sensation in her legs. She could no longer walk or control much of her lower bodily function, requiring her to use a wheelchair and a catheter.

"I had to begin to understand that this was my new situation," Perdomo said.

But just as Perdomo had been determined to stand up to the students bullying her, she was also determined to walk again. By a stroke of luck, her situation changed in 2010 when she was referred to Dr. Shlomo Raz, a UCLA urologist who was at the time working as a visiting professor at a hospital called Clínica El Bosque in Bogotá.

"As a result of Yadira's injury, she had lost control of a lot of the muscles people use without even thinking about in our everyday life," said Raz, who is a professor of urology at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and the chief of pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery.

In Bogotá, Raz performed a procedure called bilateral sacral nerve stimulation, during which he implanted a device in Perdomo's lower spine that sends electrical signals to the nerves of her pelvic floor muscles. The surgery Raz performed is rarely used for people with complex paralysis like Perdomo's; it's typically used for those who have lost control of their bladder, which is known as urge incontinence. In people with paralysis of the lower extremities, implanting the device rarely works because of the extensive damage to various nerves.

a lucky young women to live in a time where humans have figured this stuff out.
Behold! The power of man made science! It heals the lame!

Unlike the imaginary "power of God", the power of science actually works. If this woman solely depended on prayer, she'd have been wheelchair bound until the day she died.  I don't care how many elders prayed over her or how many gallons of oil she was anointed with.

And please no crap about how "god inspired the doctors"

Offline clip11

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-5
  • WWGHA Member
Praise science.
In the name of modern medical science, rise up and walk!!!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +446/-25
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
we generally don't get the usual crap from Christians trying to claim that their god was the source of healing in this type of thread.  They avoid these because as soon as they break into their nonsense, one can ask them why their god waited for thousands of years to "reveal" modern medicine.   

They only prate about healing in other threads, where they need to invoke magic as "evidence". 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +360/-4

Isn't it funny how they know reality doesn't conform to the claims of the bible when it comes to walking, raising the dead, and growing back lost limbs, but will hang onto whatever hope they can? The best they can do is conjure their bible god from in between wisps of thought, as if the angel doesn't sit on the shoulder giving good ideas but swims in between brain neurons. What would an angel need with oxygen anyway?

Offline clip11

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-5
  • WWGHA Member

Isn't it funny how they know reality doesn't conform to the claims of the bible when it comes to walking, raising the dead, and growing back lost limbs, but will hang onto whatever hope they can? The best they can do is conjure their bible god from in between wisps of thought, as if the angel doesn't sit on the shoulder giving good ideas but swims in between brain neurons. What would an angel need with oxygen anyway?
Kind of like god of the gaps. Science gives results. On the other hand, if we prayed to Jesus for her to be able to walk again it would have been the same as praying to Allah which would have been the same as praying to a jug of milk. She'd still be wheelchair bound.

Science 1,077,984
God any god 0

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +360/-4
Kind of like god of the gaps. Science gives results. On the other hand, if we prayed to Jesus for her to be able to walk again it would have been the same as praying to Allah which would have been the same as praying to a jug of milk. She'd still be wheelchair bound.

Science 1,077,984
God any god 0

Silly atheist, she would be comforted knowing that if she pays into the spiritual Ponzi scheme for her entire life (contact local church office to set up tithing schedule), she is assured the Big Reward after she's dead. Science can't give her that!

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • WWGHA Member
That is fantastic that they’ve been able to help her walk again. Shows that real miracles can and do happen.

Fucking psychopaths who threw her out of the window should be tried for attempted murder. I'm glad she's walking again, though.

They weren’t necessarily psychopaths imho. In fact, strikes me that there is some likelihood they weren’t.

100% agreeing on being tried for attempted murder though!