Please don't participate further
3 (37.5%)
Happy for you to participate on your terms
4 (50%)
I suspect Velkyn has a secret theist crush on you
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: July 24, 2018, 08:34:55 PM

Author Topic: Should I continue to contribute here?  (Read 233 times)

Offline magicmiles 2.0

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-30
Should I continue to contribute here?
« on: July 10, 2018, 08:34:55 PM »
My posting history is a source of frustration to some members, and I am accused of abandoning threads when 'it all becomes too difficult'. That is not my view of things. I engage to a point where I feel I have explained my perspective and answered a series of questions. I then prefer to move onto something else. I find that a more enjoyable experience. I don't intend to change my posting habits. So, please have your say. I would prefer you just vote, no need for comments.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +626/-67
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Should I continue to contribute here?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 03:18:53 AM »
If you're not going to participate in a discussion because it's taking too long or because you feel you've explained your perspective (keeping in mind that a discussion is supposed to go both ways), then no, you shouldn't continue to contribute here. Talking at people is not what a discussion forum is about.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +446/-25
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 08:14:54 AM »
oh poor, MM, he just can't quit me  ;D
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +555/-11
  • Proudly 'biased' against the supernatural
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 10:11:21 AM »
"Rejecting evidence because it points towards a conclusion you won't accept as possible demonstrates a bias, and demonstrates intellectual dishonesty."

But you want to leave a discussion whenever you want to, with no push back. Sure, that's completely reasonable.

If you want to hang around for the sake of dodging and avoiding being called out, that's fine by me. They're your 24 hours, you can spend them however you wish.

"So, please have your say. I would prefer you just vote, no need for comments."

If you want to be free to do whatever you want to while you are here, you're going to have to extend that same courtesy to everyone else. Live with it, lol
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:12:52 AM by Jag »
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +446/-25
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 06:02:37 PM »
I am indeed curious to know who finds it acceptable for someone to participate on a discussion forum when he has admitted that he will not honestly participate in a discussion.  Picking questions to answer, and then ignoring the rest because they would lead to uncomfortable answers is not being honest.  All MM seems to want to do is have a soapbox where he may say what he wants.  We've had how many threads started by him and when he doesn't get the reaction he wants, he just runs and tries to pretend they don't exist. 

Jag cites the damning quote from MM shows his hypocrisy.   

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Emergence

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +46/-0
  • do i look impressed?
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 01:51:21 AM »
I voted against your participation, MM. The reason isn’t that you tend to abandon discussions at some point, leaving questions unanswered. I can relate to that and I am guilty of that in my last conversation with JST, too. I am also here to enjoy myself and therefore I am not inclined to further discuss a topic once an obvious impasse is reached. To me “discussion forum” doesn’t mean that you are obliged to discuss, no matter what, until an agreement is reached or one participant drops dead of old age. There are just so many ways to formulate the own position before it gets repetitive and redundant. Once that line is crossed, why discuss further? I fully agree with you there (I guess).

But - in my opinion - you are not actually contributing. At least that is how I see it. I know that people here are ready to cut you a lot of slack because of their perception of your former online persona, but I personally see you as nothing more than a Christian rodeo clown, causing confusion and distraction in inconvenient discussions. You jump in threads, dish out smites and comment on the tone of certain posts or the behavior posters in general (be it perceived or real) and disrupting any conversation that was going to develop. If you were only using bad arguments and then  abandon threads, I’d put you on ignore and be done with that. But your actions actually damage my forum experience, because you tease people to respond to your derailments. For that reason I reported your recent posts in the “Latino kids” thread. I was looking forward to the discussion that was about to sprout between albeto and john, and then came you, making it about moral absolutes, quarreling with velkyn and anyone else in your way, again totally derailing the thread by your rodeo-clownery, contributing nothing to the topic at hand.

I know that there is much less “action” here when you are not around. I know that this forum lacks active participation of some religious people in order to kindle and foster a serious discussion about the virtues and dangers of religion. I think I would really enjoy having some contributions from religious people outside of Christianity. Or different Christians (yeah, the mailbag is sourly missing). But only as long as they participate to contribute and not just to disrupt. It may not be a majority opinion here, but I’d rather do without the type of “action” that you generate and settle with a slowly simmering forum that isn’t much more than a sounding board for ideas outside of faith and theology.

Oh, and this poll: I sense that this is nothing more than a way to justify  and excuse further decay of your posting habits (“But in my poll people said they’d be happy for me to participate on my terms…”), combined with a hint of ego stroking and self-appreciation. To try and sell this as being “thoughtful” is – in my opinion – quite brazen of you.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:54:24 AM by Emergence »
Change alone is eternal, perpetual, immortal.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline magicmiles 2.0

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-30
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 02:12:02 AM »
^ Australians generally are brazen!

Thanks for your input.

You reported the discussion on morality? Wow. It developed organically. I'm challenging and questioning POV's, and it's quite relevant to the Trump/Refugee discussion.

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +360/-4
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 01:34:49 PM »
Nevermind. Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 02:16:37 PM by albeto »

Offline clip11

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 06:55:53 PM »
My posting history is a source of frustration to some members, and I am accused of abandoning threads when 'it all becomes too difficult'. That is not my view of things. I engage to a point where I feel I have explained my perspective and answered a series of questions. I then prefer to move onto something else. I find that a more enjoyable experience. I don't intend to change my posting habits. So, please have your say. I would prefer you just vote, no need for comments.
While it's nice not to be in an echo chamber all the time, you have to understand that the standard apologetics that may seem convincing to you just isn't convincing to the rest of us. Of course, we're going to insist that you present evidence. Evidence with no holes in it. And your evidence will be relentlessly scrutinized. Which shouldn't be a problem if the evidence is solid. If it's solid, any attempt to disprove it will fail.

Offline Emergence

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +46/-0
  • do i look impressed?
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 12:00:56 AM »
Thanks for your input.

You're welcome.

You reported the discussion on morality? Wow. It developed organically. I'm challenging and questioning POV's, and it's quite relevant to the Trump/Refugee discussion.

Well, to me it didn't feel organic at that point in that thread. As albeto pointed out, a new thread would\could have been the thing. It is good to question points, but maybe, if it is an aside to the momentary main point of discussion, you could post in the respective thread, that you'd like to discuss e.g. morality as it is central to the evaluation of the current government actions, and you start a new thread on that. That - again only in my personal opinion - would be a good contributions. That way you would have voiced your different POV within the discussion from which it emerged and put it up for discussion without disrupting and derailing the ongoing discussion at hand. That'd at least be my suggestion for an improved modus operandi.
Change alone is eternal, perpetual, immortal.
Arthur Schopenhauer