Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 419 times)

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +95/-183
  • WWGHA Member
Introductions
« on: June 12, 2018, 01:59:38 PM »
Hello people.  My name is Michael.  Jag has made me think it is a good idea for me to be more of a person.  So I thought maybe I could do that here.  I'm not really sure what to say though.

I'm 45.  I've been married to my high school sweetheart for 26 years.  We have four children.  We have a set of twins that are 23, a 20 year old, and a 16 year old.  They are all boys.  I have a one year old granddaughter from one of the twins and my daughter-in-law.

I have a high school education with a focus on accounting. I have two vocational years training in computer hardware/software sciences along with some certifications.   I fell just short of 15 college credits hours for information technology because I dropped out.  As a young man I was very driven toward what I thought was greatness.  My goal was a Lamborghini by age 30. 

This is when I started my research into the Bible.  As I studied the Bible I came to believe more and more it was true.  That is when I started to lose myself.  I no longer had the same life goals and for a while I had none.  My entire worldview, while religious, was flipped upside down.  I didn't know it at the time but coming to believe in God was the easy part. 

I then turned to the world of Christendom and dove in with both feet.  I studied anything I could get my hands on.  I attended some different Churches.  I talked to anyone that would talk about it.  I watched the people on TV.  It didn't take long and I found myself drowning in a sea of confusion, but my belief in God remained with me.

So lying at the bottom of this sea, I decided my only hope was God himself.  So I began to pray for him to reveal the truth.  I prayed that even if I don't get saved at least please don't let me be deceived.  This became an all consuming prayer.  One day a JW knocked on the door.  They left me with a copy of You Can Live Forever in Paradise on Earth.  For me, it was just another piece of religious literature I was studying and accumulating. 

After reading it, my initial overall reaction was one of shock and disgust.  "Who do you they think you are saying there is no hell and God is not a trinity.  And what kind of weird name was Jehovah?"  I had only ever seen it in a paraphrased version of the Bible and I thought it was weird then.  I had several similar objections.

So I maintained my confused doctrines but something kept drawing me back to that book.  I kept wanting to prove it wrong but I had no answer for the scriptures the book provided. Neither did my teachers.  Cognitive dissonance began to occur.

About this time I completely lost interest in religion because I could not work through it all.  My belief in God remained with me but eventually my study and prayer even fell off and came to nothing.  My faith was in shambles and I had no other direction in my life.  I returned to the world, beaten and defeated.

But in time I began missing God, like one would miss a friend they had not seen.  This turned my attention back to the Bible and I began all over again.  It did not take long and again it became all I talked about, all I thought about.  This was actually driving a wedge between me and everyone around me.  It was all consuming. 

But again I was faced with the same confusion.  I was like a deer in the headlights.  I did not know which way to go.  So again, my prayer for truth became all consuming.   

One day, I was out walking with my wife near our home just out of town.  We came across an abandoned house and wanted to see if it was worth buying and fixing up.  So we let ourselves in.  We found everything had been completely cleaned and moved out.  Only one thing remained in the corner of a bedroom.   Two big boxes of WT books and publications.

I did not take it at the time as a sign from God.  I just looked at it as a nice addition to my growing library of religious publications.  But looking back, if I ever received a sign from God, that was it.  As religious literature, I couldn't help but read it.  The rest is history.  I will spare you the rest.

I have maintained my belief in God.  To this day, my most fervent prayer remains the same, "Please do not let me be misled".  I don't believe he has.

Anyway, there is my anecdotal two cents.
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +446/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 02:59:05 PM »
Interesting story, thank you for sharing.

To other members, let's not turn this thread into a barrage of debate, take a specific issue and start a thread please.

Jet

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +555/-11
  • Proudly 'biased' against the supernatural
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 02:43:11 PM »
Hello people.  My name is Michael.  Jag has made me think it is a good idea for me to be more of a person.  So I thought maybe I could do that here.  I'm not really sure what to say though.

I'm 45.  I've been married to my high school sweetheart for 26 years.
I think that's sweet.

We have four children.  We have a set of twins that are 23, a 20 year old, and a 16 year old.  They are all boys.  I have a one year old granddaughter from one of the twins and my daughter-in-law.
Aren't grandkids THE BEST? I'm so ridiculously giddy about my grandbaby, she's 5 and I'm STILL convinced that she's the most adorable creature I've ever encountered. I don't care if she runs my son and her mommy ragged, she can come to me for pretty much whatever she wants and quite likely get it. They're so much more fun than the ones we actually give birth to, lol!

I have a high school education with a focus on accounting. I have two vocational years training in computer hardware/software sciences along with some certifications.
Accounting is one of those skills that can always earn money if necessary. Computer science skills would too, I would think?

I fell just short of 15 college credits hours for information technology because I dropped out.
It took me three times to finally finish. Now I want to go back again, lol

In that short little bit I responded to, you disclosed more of the human being behind the screen name than you have in the entire time you've been on this website.

Thank you for doing that. It's nice to have some sense of how you actually are.

What do you do in your free time? For fun? Do you have any hobbies?

And if you are willing to share, what part of the country do you live in? I ask because I've done a great deal of road travel in recent years and am curious if I've been to your part of the country yet.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:45:54 PM by Jag »
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +95/-183
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 06:38:53 PM »
Aren't grandkids THE BEST? I'm so ridiculously giddy about my grandbaby, she's 5 and I'm STILL convinced that she's the most adorable creature I've ever encountered. I don't care if she runs my son and her mommy ragged, she can come to me for pretty much whatever she wants and quite likely get it. They're so much more fun than the ones we actually give birth to, lol!

Oh yes.  Plus girls don't run in my family.  I wanted another child in my more mature years but now I see that to an extent I can have all the joy and none of the frustration.  They live with us so we get to see her every day.

I will tell you something strange that does run in my family though.  Starting with my great grandfather, the oldest of his brothers, all of the firstborn under him, and only the firstborn, are left handed.  My granddaughter is not old enough to know yet.

I have a high school education with a focus on accounting. I have two vocational years training in computer hardware/software sciences along with some certifications.

Yes I could make a living with it.  But for me, if you're not in it to shoot for the stars it's a pretty boring and thankless job.

Today I work for one of my younger brothers' small, but growing oil company.  He is the "go getter" I used to be.  The company is valued at over $2 million and he just bought 14 more wells.  I monitor the oil leases and all the equipment to make sure it's maintained, diagnose problems, and recommend fixes, and generally make sure production is maintained and that we are not pumping oil and salt water into someone's back yard.

Before that I was working for another company doing rig and roustabout which means setting tanks, pump jacks, laying lines, etc.  Basically it's all the work that a rig doesn't do.  Now I am a "pumper" and part time field supervisor, depending on the demands of the company.  My brother is very hands on so I don't actually get to make many serious decisions unless he is just completely out of pocket. 

But I am happy.  It is a very well-paid position for the amount of time I have to invest.  When I first started I laughed because I couldn't believe people actually get paid for doing my job.  It's that easy.  But it makes me think and does afford me some responsibility.  So I like that.  I'm not sure I'd be willing to take on a full time field supervisor position as the company comes big enough for that.  It would come with some very good pay, but it would take a lot of dedication to do it well.  I will just have to cross that bridge when and if it arrives.

But in the meantime, as long as oil prices don't plummet, I have it made.  I work about three hours a day and make more than the other guys working 60 hours.    .  Not only is the position itself easy, but my brother spoils me by sending others do things that ordinarily I would do myself.  He doesn't want the "old man" to get hurt hehe.  Plus a contract pumper, which is how he pays and treats me, doesn't typically do everything a company pumper does, like stick around all day twiddling their thumbs trying to act like there is something they should be doing.  If a contract pumper stay longer than required, they get paid contractor time in addition to any additional labor.   But unlike a typical contract pumper, he provides me with a vehicle and fuel or whatever I need.  I have my cake and eat it too.

But while I am spoiled, I do have to take my position seriously.  I am the eyes and ears in the field and the work is unsupervised.  Not doing my duty could lead to undetected failures that can become catastrophic and potentially fatal for the company and the nearby environment.  An oil spill is not actually so bad as many people think.  Vegetation will recover and even thrive from the nutrients in a year or so.  But a salt water spill kills everything for years and years and our wells are "stripper wells" so they produce mainly salt water.

Some people think I ought to envy my brother, but I don't.  He knew what he wanted out of life and he went and got it.  I did the same.  We just chose different things.  His dreams did not come about without sacrifice.  He has no life outside of work.  If he wants something he buys it.  But unless it's for work, he doesn't have time to enjoy it. 

The boy is a workaholic.  His hobby is work.  His entertainment is work.  Sometimes we joke that he is off somewhere cheating on his wife with his equipment.   We've all (family) tried to get him to slow down just a little but he's just consumed with making it big.  If that's what he wants then who I am to talk him out of it?  I have heard that the #1 end of life regret is "I wish I hadn't worked so hard and took more time for myself."  I hope he does not end up with that regret.  But who knows?  I'm not sure it's the money or the work that he enjoys the most.  I actually think it's the work.  Even when he is not making money, he is working.

And if you are willing to share, what part of the country do you live in? I ask because I've done a great deal of road travel in recent years and am curious if I've been to your part of the country yet.

I live right in the middle of the Bible belt and tornodo alley.  Coincidence?  Hehe.  I live about 30 away from Tulsa, OK. 

In that short little bit I responded to, you disclosed more of the human being behind the screen name than you have in the entire time you've been on this website.

Well now that someone has kindly replied, I am glad that I did it.

Do what about you?  Who is Jag?
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +555/-11
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 12:31:11 AM »

Oh yes.  Plus girls don't run in my family.  I wanted another child in my more mature years but now I see that to an extent I can have all the joy and none of the frustration.  They live with us so we get to see her every day.
Yep, we get all the play and almost none of the discipline, just reinforcement. It's the best of both worlds, IMO - we get to see our children parent, and enjoy the results, lol.

I will tell you something strange that does run in my family though.  Starting with my great grandfather, the oldest of his brothers, all of the firstborn under him, and only the firstborn, are left handed.  My granddaughter is not old enough to know yet.
That's an odd coincidence to run for 4 generations. Lefties only make up about 10% of the total population, that distribution is weird. On the other hand, I'm a leftie, so is my best friend, and so is her husband. We skew statistics just by hanging out together, lol

Your work sounds quite satisfying. If you could be said to be lucky, to me, that's how. You like what you do, and you provide the necessary support for your family. That's great for you!

I live right in the middle of the Bible belt and tornodo alley.  Coincidence?  Hehe.  I live about 30 away from Tulsa, OK.
Ah, I live in Tornado Alley too! I'm in Minnesota, just a bit north of the Twin Cities. We've been lucky where we are, recent years haven't produced any actual tornadoes very close to our property, but we've had some ugly wind damage in 2 of the last 3 years.

I was through Oklahoma late last spring, en route to Corpus Christi. What stands out most clearly in my memory is the color of the soil. It was so RED! And it went for MILES like that, it was so unlike what I'm used to.

Well now that someone has kindly replied, I am glad that I did it.
I'm sorry your intro was so quickly turned to chaos. Having an actual conversation with Michael is a nice change of pace, honestly.

Do what about you?  Who is Jag?
Hmm. It IS hard to figure out how to do this.

Let's see - I have two adult kids, a son with a girlfriend and daughter, also here in MN, and a daughter with a boyfriend, in Colorado. My long time boyfriend and I have spent the last few years preparing to turn our lives upside down, and I'm happy to say that it's just about time to execute that plan. We literally got home this morning from being in Colorado (on the Western Slopes) looking for, finding, and buying our 'forever home'. We're about to dramatically change our lifestyle in pursuit of something more satisfying.

I graduated from college  with a social science degree about 2 1/2 years ago, after decades in Corporate America. I've been happily unconventionally employed since then, but am planning to go back to normal work after we move - it's my boyfriend's turn to be unconventionally employed for a while. My small businesses can still run with only a little of my time until he is generating enough income for me to quit again, more or less. My side stuff is all scale-able, so I can be as busy or as free as the rest of my life needs me to be.

My partner traveled internationally extensively for his job for many years, so having him around full time for the last year has been a HUGE adjustment for us. I'm an adoptee, and during the same period, my biological aunts and uncles on my birth mother's branch of the family tree 'found' me and reached out, so I've been getting to know a huge number of previously unknown relatives as well.

Both my BF and I love to road trip - he couldn't care less if he never flies again I think - and we've traveled roughly half the country in the last three years. On this last trip, we had some time between house showings, so we spent a few days in Moab, Utah. Are you familiar? I wasn't, but per my partner, it's like THE destination for off-road trail riding. We had a GREAT time in our pickup (we have a travel trailer - it's our pull-vehicle), and I can hardly wait to go back with our Jeep and take some of the trails the truck was too big for.

FTR, I'm scared of heights. That strong willed thing you mentioned has one BIG bonus - I have to face the stuff that scares me, eventually. Scared of heights? Go live in the Rockies, and learn to navigate mountain roads in order to go ANYWHERE. I don't cut myself any more slack than I do anyone else, lol

Have you heard of the Million Dollar Highway? Palms sweating, and with a slightly accelerated heartbeat, I was the passenger last year on that road, during construction no less. My goal is to drive that road myself. It's narrow - REALLY narrow - but the views are freaking incredible, so it's equal parts astonishing and terrifying. I WILL drive it myself, it doesn't matter that it scares the crap outta me, I'm going to do it BECAUSE it scars the crap outta me. I'll go with my BF on those terrifying Jeep trails for the same reason, and when I'm not busy trying not to wet myself, I'll be having a blast!

I want to want to learn to take good photos. It remains to be seen if I want to do it enough to actually take the time to learn the skills though. I keep thinking the starscapes will probably be the pivotal point. The views from the new house should be incredibly expansive, we're up on a mesa with nearly a 180* southern exposure.

I read, a lot. I like to write, and to do things I've never done, in part so I can write about them. My best friend lives in North Carolina now, and we communicate via writing quite a bit, we kind of live vicariously through each other's VERY different lives.
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +171/-2
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 03:23:16 AM »
Wow, you're only two years older than me, but have kids SEVEN years older (ok, that's hardly surprising, but still ...)
And you're a GRANDDAD!
I'm so not ready for grandkids, seriously.
In fact, a colleague of mine is almost my age, and his daughter is two weeks younger than mine.
We're currently engaged in what we like to call 'the reverse race' ... last to become a granddad wins!
It's still nil-nil right now.

(Massive aside, ever watched/played The Last of Us? When that '20 years later' caption popped up, I calculated Joel's age and if he fathered Sarah straight out of highschool ...
HE'S PUSHING FIFTY!!!! That's QUITE some Old Man Strength!!! When I grow up I want to be Joel ... oh ... wait ...)

Good post, Michael, liked it a lot.
2 Interwebs 7:42
And in the seventh year, thou shalt cast out the Nam from thine assembly for he haveth a potty mouth.

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +358/-117
  • MIGHT DOES NOT MAKE RIGHT. Seeing is believing!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 07:46:47 AM »
I live in Asheville, NC, aka little San Francisco. They call it that because Asheville is a liberal city.

We are in the Appalachian region of NC. I love the beautiful scenery.

I have 1 son, and 1 grandson. I love them both very much. My grandson is going to be 5 this month. Time flies. He starts kindergarten this fall. I thought having a child was pure joy. Words cannot describe the happiness that kid brings to my life. He absolutely mesmerizes  me.

I dropped out of high school in the 9th grade. I got my GED back in 2002. I landed a job in an eyeglass lab by beating 1 of the 3 owners in a game of pool at my mom's bar.

Now I'm unemployed and I'm going to college to get a degree in Human Services Technology. I hope to get a job in a crisis prevention facility. I should graduate next December.

I went through Oklahoma when I was driving a tractor trailer. I did not get to see much. It was dark when I got there, and raining cats and dogs when I left the next morning. It was all I could do to see the road. Oklahoma sure had a nice truck stop.

Truck driving was not for me. I missed home real bad. I had to work three weeks to get 3 days home. I am glad to have had that experience though.

I play guitar and sing as my hobby. I gave up playing pool when my mom passed away. Gave up drinking too. I quit smoking pot in January this year. I did not quit for moral reasons. I just did not like the way it made feel anymore. I support legalizing it. Even then, I do not think I will take it back up.

I'm on summer break from college right now, and I'm trying my best to grow a garden. I have corn, green beans, squash, cucumbers, and tomatoes growing (all from seed). The deer are eating the leaves off of my squash, cukes, and beans. I would like to put that deer in my belly, lol, but my roomie will not let me. Shucks! My granny made the best deer stew.

One thing I love about where I live is that you never know when you will see wildlife 'round here. About a week ago we woke up to a young buck eating hosta leaves. We have wild turkeys, and a bear here as well as raccoons, opossum, ground hogs, rabbits, and squirrels. There are at least 6 different bird species that visit our bird feeder everyday.

I like most all genres of music except opera. Opera is just too much drama for me.

As I read your job description, I imagined John Wayne in that movie where he put out oil rig fires. ;) Cool job pilgrim! :D
If you wanna make the world a better place,
Take a look at yourself, and then make a change...
Michael Jackson and Batman

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +95/-183
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 01:31:43 PM »
………

Yep, part of Oklahoma has red dirt.  Not sure but I think it's mostly in the western part.  It's normal around where I live.  My truck gets pretty muddy in the oil patch sometimes.  I'd hate if it were red.  The truck looks bad enough just being covered in normal mud. 

I spent a summer in Denver once during HS and did some touring around Colorado.  I loved it there.  I'm not sure how I would like the winters but the summer was fantastic.  It was warm enough to be called summer but it wasn't so hot that you never want to go outside.  It gets that way in OK.  We've already had two or three weeks of near 100 degree weather this year and summer hasn't even begun.  I hate summer in OK.  We hardly even had a storm season this year.  But it's not too late yet but it's highly unlikely this late. 

Anyway, I really loved the Royal Gorge.  The deer there are very friendly.  Maybe too friendly.  I broke out some marshmellows to feed the deer and they really liked them.   I got overcrowded with them and they weren't about to let me leave while there were still marshmellows in that bag.  It was very cool, but I got a little scared at one point because they were just crowding so much.

I'm an adoptee, and during the same period, my biological aunts and uncles on my birth mother's branch of the family tree 'found' me and reached out, so I've been getting to know a huge number of previously unknown relatives as well.

Wow, that's really awesome.  Hopefully things will work out well.  What about your biological mom?

Have you heard of the Million Dollar Highway? Palms sweating, and with a slightly accelerated heartbeat, I was the passenger last year on that road, during construction no less. My goal is to drive that road myself. It's narrow - REALLY narrow - but the views are freaking incredible, so it's equal parts astonishing and terrifying. I WILL drive it myself, it doesn't matter that it scares the crap outta me, I'm going to do it BECAUSE it scars the crap outta me. I'll go with my BF on those terrifying Jeep trails for the same reason, and when I'm not busy trying not to wet myself, I'll be having a blast!

I can't imagine.  My cousin almost scared me to death on those mountain roads.  He had a little Nissan 260z.  On the way down he'd put the car in neutral and see how fast he could go down the twisting roads.  The little car stuck to the road pretty well so sometimes he'd hit 80-90 mph.  Traffic was sparse but there was traffic.  To this day, I've never had my butt puckered so much.  But I was a young macho guy so I pretended it was all cool.  We were idiots and got into so much trouble together.  Ahh those were good times.

Now I mostly play video games for fun.  I mostly play the "boring" games like Sim City.  I play to relax not to be up on the edge of my seat mashing buttons and yelling at the screen.  I'm a marginally good chess player if I don't have time restraints.  I don't like playing with timers.

We enjoy pets.  We have four dogs and four cats.  I'm the dog person.  We have two pit/mastiffs, a pit, and a chihuahua/miniature dachshund.  But I will tell you something funny.  We have a small female cat named "Tiny".  She's older than the hills.  She can barely even meow or pur but other than the male pit/mastiff she is the dominant animal.  All the other animals give her a wide berth.  It's hilarious to watch.  Needless to say, she's my favorite cat.

We do a bit of traveling but usually just to surrounding states for a weekend or something.  Denver is about the furthest I've been away from home.  The only place I have not been that I want to go is to the ocean.  That's on my bucket list.  We just never seem to have the time.  It always gets pushed down the priority list.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +95/-183
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 01:51:25 PM »
Wow, you're only two years older than me, but have kids SEVEN years older (ok, that's hardly surprising, but still ...)
And you're a GRANDDAD!
I'm so not ready for grandkids, seriously.
In fact, a colleague of mine is almost my age, and his daughter is two weeks younger than mine.
We're currently engaged in what we like to call 'the reverse race' ... last to become a granddad wins!

(Massive aside, ever watched/played The Last of Us? When that '20 years later' caption popped up, I calculated Joel's age and if he fathered Sarah straight out of highschool ...
HE'S PUSHING FIFTY!!!! That's QUITE some Old Man Strength!!! When I grow up I want to be Joel ... oh ... wait ...)

Good post, Michael, liked it a lot.

We married two months after high school graduation.  I was 18 and she was 17.  We were married in July 91 and the twins were born  Feb 93.

Well the only downside to grandkids is it means you're getting older.  I do not like that part of it.  But I feel like a bumper sticker I saw once.  If I knew having grandkids was this much fun, I would have had them first.  haha.

I've started it 2-3 times.  I've never been more than about half way through though.

Yeah, fathering children straight out of high school isn't something I recommend.  Things worked out for us but the odds were certainly against us and the children paid for our lack of maturity and preparedness.  I wish I could go back, knowing what I know now.  But who doesn't? 

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +95/-183
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 03:27:36 PM »
I went through Oklahoma when I was driving a tractor trailer. I did not get to see much. It was dark when I got there, and raining cats and dogs when I left the next morning. It was all I could do to see the road. Oklahoma sure had a nice truck stop.

Well if your into nature and countryside or lakes, Oklahoma has some to offer.  I really don't think we have much for tourist attractions though.  Storm chasing seems to be growing in popularity so we do draw people for that.  Myself I've only ever seen small one about a half a mile from me.  It was very surreal because my first reaction was denial. 

I support legalizing it.

Other than smoking it is harmful to your health, like cigarettes, I don't see why it's a problem, especially for medicinal purposes.  It is less harmful that many alternatives.  It should be a no brainer.  Why can a doctor prescribe very strong narcotics but not THC?

One thing I love about where I live is that you never know when you will see wildlife 'round here. About a week ago we woke up to a young buck eating hosta leaves. We have wild turkeys, and a bear here as well as raccoons, opossum, ground hogs, rabbits, and squirrels. There are at least 6 different bird species that visit our bird feeder everyday.

Other than bears, I live around those things too.  I live a bit out in the country.  My job puts me even further in the country for some leases.  The deer are so used to seeing my drive my on the lease roads they hardly pay me any attention. 

On thing I don't have around my home that I want is crows.  I've seen some shows about how smart they are and how they bring gifts to people that feed them.  I want a crow gift!

There's rumors of cougars but I've never seen any evidence.  The only larger predators I've encountered are bobcats and coyotes, but they flee.  A pack of coyotes might present a danger but I've never encountered more than one.  I always imagined them to be poor looking animals.  But they're actually beautiful.

I have a new friend at work.  It's a little bunny that has made a home within a small fenced in area around some of our tanks.  I see him there 2-3 times a week.  He watches me but he doesn't run away. The worst part of my job is the solitude.  I even talk to the cows lol.

I like most all genres of music except opera. Opera is just too much drama for me.

I don't care for opera, classical, or gangster rap.  Don't care for pop too much.  Country is okay.  I prefer rock but Metallicaish is about as hard as I get.  Pink Floyd is my favorite because I can relate to a lot of their music.  I like a lot of modern rock but today's music just ain't got the same soul hehe.  I grew up with the big hair bands of the 80s.  There is nothing just like hearing those guitars.

I play guitar and sing as my hobby.

That is cool.  I almost learned to play from my grandpa when I was a kid but we moved away and I never continued to pursue it. I love listening to guitars.

I'm also an Elvis fan.  People ask me why I'm religious.  Here's why:

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +555/-11
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 02:14:20 PM »
I spent a summer in Denver once during HS and did some touring around Colorado.  I loved it there.  I'm not sure how I would like the winters but the summer was fantastic.  It was warm enough to be called summer but it wasn't so hot that you never want to go outside.  It gets that way in OK.  We've already had two or three weeks of near 100 degree weather this year and summer hasn't even begun.  I hate summer in OK.  We hardly even had a storm season this year.  But it's not too late yet but it's highly unlikely this late.
The first day back was fine - we did a ton of yard work, and got the property looking like we care about it again. The next morning, I went outside and just about cried. The infamous Minnesota humidity had arrived overnight, and the rest of the summer is going to be varying degrees of miserable from here on out.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to about this move is the improved weather. The humidity here gets so miserable, being outside for fun doesn't last long - it will hang in the upper 70s to the 90 through August now, with temps in the 80s or higher, more than likely breaking 100  few times along the way. YE-uck. The Western Slopes have far more sunshine and FAR less humidity year round. but the temps are less extreme, and snow doesn't last long.

In the other hand, a lot of Colorado is currently on fire....

Anyway, I really loved the Royal Gorge.  The deer there are very friendly.  Maybe too friendly.  I broke out some marshmellows to feed the deer and they really liked them.   I got overcrowded with them and they weren't about to let me leave while there were still marshmellows in that bag.  It was very cool, but I got a little scared at one point because they were just crowding so much.
We've been wondering how we're going to adjust to NOT having a yard full of wildlife once we move! It's weird to me - we have a lot of animal activity where we currently live, but we saw most of the deer in the parks and parking lots while we've been there. They're a lot harder to spot when they're out in the wide open spaces. Here, we're surrounded by trees, so our yard is like an extension of their normal territory.

We intend to do a fair bit of dry camping, or boondocking, in the BLM land that's scattered all across that part of the country. I'm really looking forward to future animal encounters, ideally with a camera close to hand, lol!

I'm an adoptee, and during the same period, my biological aunts and uncles on my birth mother's branch of the family tree 'found' me and reached out, so I've been getting to know a huge number of previously unknown relatives as well.

Wow, that's really awesome.  Hopefully things will work out well.  What about your biological mom?
The shortest version of the story possible is that she passed away before they managed to find me. Same for my bio father - he died out of the country (in Central or South America) at nearly the same time as my bio mom passed, so information about him and his death has been thus far impossible to find. There are layers of tragedy in both of their stories that I'm just starting to uncover, but I'd still prefer to know. I've had a lifetime of questions, it can be hard to accept that some of them will never be answered. But I'm delighted to have been found.

I can't imagine.  My cousin almost scared me to death on those mountain roads.  He had a little Nissan 260z.  On the way down he'd put the car in neutral and see how fast he could go down the twisting roads.  The little car stuck to the road pretty well so sometimes he'd hit 80-90 mph.  Traffic was sparse but there was traffic.  To this day, I've never had my butt puckered so much.  But I was a young macho guy so I pretended it was all cool.  We were idiots and got into so much trouble together.  Ahh those were good times.
I STILL haven't entirely outgrown that desire. Part of me still seems to be convinced that I'm ten feet tall and bullet-proof.

Now I mostly play video games for fun.  I mostly play the "boring" games like Sim City.  I play to relax not to be up on the edge of my seat mashing buttons and yelling at the screen.  I'm a marginally good chess player if I don't have time restraints.  I don't like playing with timers.
I never really got into video games. But I'm starting to find some table top games that I really like. I can be really competitive (as if you haven't already noticed that, lol), so I'm surprised to find how much I enjoy cooperative games. My son and I have a long history of being vicious to each other when we are competing, so much so that we spend all our time focusing on making sure the other doesn't win, so inevitably we both lose to someone else.

We enjoy pets.  We have four dogs and four cats.  I'm the dog person.  We have two pit/mastiffs, a pit, and a chihuahua/miniature dachshund.  But I will tell you something funny.  We have a small female cat named "Tiny".  She's older than the hills.  She can barely even meow or pur but other than the male pit/mastiff she is the dominant animal.  All the other animals give her a wide berth.  It's hilarious to watch.  Needless to say, she's my favorite cat.
I have a weird soft spot for CERTAIN cats. I don't love them as universally as I love dogs, but the ones that take no shit, and are absolutely in charge tends to get my attention and my respectful admiration. I think I'd probably like Tiny. ;)

We have two dogs, sisters from different litters. They're Boxweillers, both brindle, and both truly beautiful - their parents make gorgeous offspring routinely. Now that our kids are out of the house, our dogs have become the most ridiculously spoiled critters I can imagine. They go almost EVERYWHERE with us, and we indulge them shamefully.

We do a bit of traveling but usually just to surrounding states for a weekend or something.  Denver is about the furthest I've been away from home.  The only place I have not been that I want to go is to the ocean.  That's on my bucket list.  We just never seem to have the time.  It always gets pushed down the priority list.
Well, you live in an a state with a lot of beautiful things nearby. And honestly, Denver is the least of what Colorado has to offer, IMO. Keep going west across the mountains en route to the ocean, once you can make the time. Alternatively, the sand at the Gulf of Mexico (Corpus Christie area) is unlike any sand I've ever encountered in any other coastal area of this country. It's like baby powder, and so soft you can hardly believe that it's ground up rock at all. It's soft and fine in a lot of places on the East Coast, but still not as much so as there. It was weirdly nostalgic to keep cleaning it out of the truck in the weeks after we got back. There was a constant breeze, but it wasn't chilly, just pleasant. We were there right after spring break, so the beaches were pretty empty in advance of the next influx of summer vacationers. Great time to be there IMO.

I grew up on the shore of Lake Superior, way up in northern Minnesota, and I get a sense of peace at the edge of huge bodies of water. Like the mountains, it tends to help me put life in perspective. Most stuff is small, finite, and unimportant in the big picture. The vastness and scale of those landscapes soothe me in a way that little else ever has.

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +358/-117
  • MIGHT DOES NOT MAKE RIGHT. Seeing is believing!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 08:40:20 AM »

Well if your into nature and countryside or lakes, Oklahoma has some to offer.  I really don't think we have much for tourist attractions though.  Storm chasing seems to be growing in popularity so we do draw people for that.  Myself I've only ever seen small one about a half a mile from me.  It was very surreal because my first reaction was denial. 

I'd say chasing tornados is a heckuva adrenaline rush.

I do like being outdoors. Asheville is a tourist haven. We have mountain biking, Biltmore house, camping, River Arts district, beer, and Downtown is an eccentric + romantic place to be.

I support legalizing it.

Quote from: JST

Other than smoking it is harmful to your health, like cigarettes, I don't see why it's a problem, especially for medicinal purposes.  It is less harmful that many alternatives.  It should be a no brainer.  Why can a doctor prescribe very strong narcotics but not THC?

I agree 100%. I'm not sure smoking it is bad for your health though. Maybe a little.

Other than bears, I live around those things too.  I live a bit out in the country.  My job puts me even further in the country for some leases.  The deer are so used to seeing my drive my on the lease roads they hardly pay me any attention. 

On thing I don't have around my home that I want is crows.  I've seen some shows about how smart they are and how they bring gifts to people that feed them.  I want a crow gift!

There's rumors of cougars but I've never seen any evidence.  The only larger predators I've encountered are bobcats and coyotes, but they flee.  A pack of coyotes might present a danger but I've never encountered more than one.  I always imagined them to be poor looking animals.  But they're actually beautiful.

I have a new friend at work.  It's a little bunny that has made a home within a small fenced in area around some of our tanks.  I see him there 2-3 times a week.  He watches me but he doesn't run away. The worst part of my job is the solitude.  I even talk to the cows lol.

Bears are cool and all, but they can be a nuisance. They get in your trash, and will tare up your bird feeder. I haven't seen our bear yet this year, but I got a close up last year. He/she was on the front porch. I watched it from inside the house. The black bears we have here are vegetarian. They eat berries mostly.

That bunny sounds real cute.

I don't care for opera, classical, or gangster rap.  Don't care for pop too much.  Country is okay.  I prefer rock but Metallicaish is about as hard as I get.  Pink Floyd is my favorite because I can relate to a lot of their music.  I like a lot of modern rock but today's music just ain't got the same soul hehe.  I grew up with the big hair bands of the 80s.  There is nothing just like hearing those guitars.

I'm a big Pink Floyd fan myself. I too grew up in the 80s. I was born in 72. I think we are real close in age. I just turned 46.

I saw Motley Crue live at the Civic Center. It was awesome!

I play guitar and sing as my hobby.

That is cool.  I almost learned to play from my grandpa when I was a kid but we moved away and I never continued to pursue it. I love listening to guitars.

Yea, picking and grinning runs in the family. Me and my dad used to spend hours making music. He was my lead guitarist. I play rythym. Check this guy out: https://youtu.be/o2mkYv3JrjU

I'm also an Elvis fan.  People ask me why I'm religious.  Here's why: Elvis video

I love Elvis too! He does a very good version of How Great Thou Art. My favorite Elvis song is Wear My Ring Around Your Neck.

Oklahoma did give us Merle Haggard, big fan.
If you wanna make the world a better place,
Take a look at yourself, and then make a change...
Michael Jackson and Batman

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +555/-11
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 10:23:12 AM »
About the crows - are they present in your area, and just not near your house, or are they just not there at all?

If they're in the area, you can attract them if you really want to engage with them.

The whole 'bright and shiny' thing it real. If you want to have crows come visit you, get some of that obnoxious tinsel that come in strands and put them out (a little at a time) where they will get sunshine. Aluminum foil works too, especially when you are first trying to get their attention.

As they take things away, replace it with more of the same, or something similar. Fiber of nearly any sort, broken jewelry, pieces of wire, ribbon, fabric strips, that kind of thing. As long as you are consistent about putting things out for them, they'll keep coming back. Eventually, you'll have crow friends.

I have a soft spot for crows too, obviously. Ravens as well, along with birds of prey in general. Some people spot cool cloud formations, some pay attention to the people in traffic, I notice hawks and falcons. One of the reasons I'm not interested in getting a motorcycle of my own is that I'd have to pay attention to the road, rather than watching all the birds I see  :police:

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +444/-25
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 08:12:16 PM »
About the crows - are they present in your area, and just not near your house, or are they just not there at all?

If they're in the area, you can attract them if you really want to engage with them.

The whole 'bright and shiny' thing it real. If you want to have crows come visit you, get some of that obnoxious tinsel that come in strands and put them out (a little at a time) where they will get sunshine. Aluminum foil works too, especially when you are first trying to get their attention.

As they take things away, replace it with more of the same, or something similar. Fiber of nearly any sort, broken jewelry, pieces of wire, ribbon, fabric strips, that kind of thing. As long as you are consistent about putting things out for them, they'll keep coming back. Eventually, you'll have crow friends.

I have a soft spot for crows too, obviously. Ravens as well, along with birds of prey in general. Some people spot cool cloud formations, some pay attention to the people in traffic, I notice hawks and falcons. One of the reasons I'm not interested in getting a motorcycle of my own is that I'd have to pay attention to the road, rather than watching all the birds I see  :police:

I have a regular crow visitor.  we call him/her Vitr, Norse for Intelligence.   I set out a plate of scraps I had cut from a beef tenderloin while butchering it, and he had a grand time.  I'm sure I probably horrified my neighbors by having a crow flying around with bloody gobbets.  I need to put out some shinies.  :)
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Professor
  • Darwins +360/-39
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 10:00:34 PM »
My oldest daughter has decided she wants a pet crow. We are like, you can't keep a wild animal as a pet. We are not keeping a crow in the house. We sincerely hope she never stumbles upon this video.

Because I'm pretty sure most of our neighbors would start shooting them if they began to gather around like that.

I am not sure how to describe the intricacies of this Hell, so I chose to begin with the most common or prominent theme of Hell, which is uncertainty.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +95/-183
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 01:04:51 PM »

Yeah, they're in the area just not around my house.  There's a peculiar lack of squirrels too.  I'm going to try what you said though.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to about this move is the improved weather. The humidity here gets so miserable, being outside for fun doesn't last long - it will hang in the upper 70s to the 90 through August now, with temps in the 80s or higher, more than likely breaking 100  few times along the way. YE-uck. The Western Slopes have far more sunshine and FAR less humidity year round. but the temps are less extreme, and snow doesn't last long.

Yeah, humidity is a big part of the problem around here too.  Colorado is definitely nicer in that area.

We intend to do a fair bit of dry camping, or boondocking, in the BLM land that's scattered all across that part of the country. I'm really looking forward to future animal encounters, ideally with a camera close to hand, lol!

That would be fun.  You can have the thrill of the hunt without having to kill and eat it.

The shortest version of the story possible is that she passed away before they managed to find me. Same for my bio father - he died out of the country (in Central or South America) at nearly the same time as my bio mom passed, so information about him and his death has been thus far impossible to find. There are layers of tragedy in both of their stories that I'm just starting to uncover, but I'd still prefer to know. I've had a lifetime of questions, it can be hard to accept that some of them will never be answered. But I'm delighted to have been found.

Well I'm really happy for you.

I STILL haven't entirely outgrown that desire. Part of me still seems to be convinced that I'm ten feet tall and bullet-proof.

Neither have I.  Ive always enjoyed drag racing.  It's one of the few adrenaline rushes I like.

I have a weird soft spot for CERTAIN cats. I don't love them as universally as I love dogs, but the ones that take no shit, and are absolutely in charge tends to get my attention and my respectful admiration. I think I'd probably like Tiny.

That's kinda how I am about cats.  I like them but I don't get as close to them as I have some dogs, but cats are cool in their own way.  That reminds me of a joke.

A dog says, "They feed me, water me, and provide me with a home.  They must be gods.  A cat says, "They feed me, water me, and provide me with a home.  I must be a god.

And honestly, Denver is the least of what Colorado has to offer, IMO.

Yes, I agree.  I'm not much of a city person anyway.  I enjoyed the mountains the most.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +95/-183
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 01:15:42 PM »

I'd say chasing tornados is a heckuva adrenaline rush.

It is.  But not as much as one chasing you, haha.

I agree 100%. I'm not sure smoking it is bad for your health though. Maybe a little.

Medical marijuana is going up for a vote the day after tomorrow here in OK.

Bears are cool and all, but they can be a nuisance. They get in your trash, and will tare up your bird feeder. I haven't seen our bear yet this year, but I got a close up last year. He/she was on the front porch. I watched it from inside the house. The black bears we have here are vegetarian. They eat berries mostly.

I imagine they're a little intimidating too.  Sometimes opossums or racoons will get in our trash, but they're easy to run off.  I'm not sure I would be so willing if it was a bear.

I'm a big Pink Floyd fan myself. I too grew up in the 80s. I was born in 72. I think we are real close in age. I just turned 46.

Sounds like you have me by a little.  I turn 46 in November.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +95/-183
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 01:17:10 PM »

I have a regular crow visitor.  we call him/her Vitr, Norse for Intelligence.   I set out a plate of scraps I had cut from a beef tenderloin while butchering it, and he had a grand time.  I'm sure I probably horrified my neighbors by having a crow flying around with bloody gobbets.  I need to put out some shinies.  :)

You must let us know if it starts bringing you gifts.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +95/-183
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 01:18:54 PM »
My oldest daughter has decided she wants a pet crow. We are like, you can't keep a wild animal as a pet. We are not keeping a crow in the house. We sincerely hope she never stumbles upon this video.

Because I'm pretty sure most of our neighbors would start shooting them if they began to gather around like that.

That is one of the videos that turned me onto crows.  I saw the documentary on Netflix.  I'm not sure I would want a flock of them.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +123/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 09:14:56 AM »
Hi there Michael  8)

Thank you for sharing more about who you are and your background.

I imagined before that you were younger than you are for some reason! Still, I regularly get incorrect impressions on this kind of thing when I talk to others online. Just going to have to remind myself more often that (in my case) it’s not worth making this kind of guess with people (who haven’t said how old they are) as I’m pretty rubbish at it. 

I think it’s sweet that you married your high school sweetheart too! And good for you on the family side of things!