Author Topic: The Pope said what?  (Read 152 times)

Offline ButterFlavoredPam

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-1
The Pope said what?
« on: April 18, 2018, 08:55:11 PM »
http://www.newsweek.com/pope-francis-hugs-comforts-little-boy-who-asked-atheist-dad-was-heaven-891113?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=yahoo_news&utm_campaign=rss&utm_content=/rss/yahoous/news&yptr=yahoo

THE leader of one of the most "You must believe this way or burn in hell" religions has just rendered belief unnecessary for entry into heaven.  The Vicar of Christ has now reversed John 14:6. 
“In dark ages people are best guided by religion, as in a pitch-black night a blind man is the best guide; he knows the roads and paths better than a man who can see. When daylight comes, however, it is foolish to use blind, old men as guides.”
 Heinrich Heine

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +367/-9
Re: The Pope said what?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 09:05:44 PM »
I like this pope.  He is compassionate even in this farce called religion.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ButterFlavoredPam

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-1
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 09:17:53 PM »
I like this pope.  He is compassionate even in this farce called religion.

+1 

This is the most encouraging thing I've read in a LONG time with regards to religion.   Wouldn't it be amazing if we had a push towards Christian Atheism?  Keep all the traditions like Christmas, Easter,  getting together once a week, etc but eliminate the need for worship and eliminate to divisions among people who do not practice your religion.  We would need a word other than religion to describe it. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 09:21:47 PM by ButterFlavoredPam »
“In dark ages people are best guided by religion, as in a pitch-black night a blind man is the best guide; he knows the roads and paths better than a man who can see. When daylight comes, however, it is foolish to use blind, old men as guides.”
 Heinrich Heine

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +604/-62
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 01:47:38 AM »
I wouldn't be too hopeful. Catholics are already decrying the Pope because he doesn't match their extremists views. Funny how the Pope is God's mouthpiece and leader of a religion except when the mouthpiece doesn't match what the believers want to justify with their religion (homophobia, sexism, etc.).
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +295/-3
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 10:16:11 AM »
This pope doesn't give me much hope either. He's the guy who suggested transgender people are as dangerous to society as thermonuclear weapons. Transgenders. They make what, .5% of the population or some really small number? What possible threat could they be? The answer is they're not a threat, they're simply an easy target. Gays and lesbians are surviving (not without loss) the culture war religion has waged (after divorced women and single mothers won), and now that they're considered mainstream the conservatives go after the next in line. They've picked a particularly vulnerable group, one that is already enormously targeted by society. Why on earth would a church who considers itself run by the living vicar of Christ think this small group of people are a threat? It not only doesn't make sense, it reinforces the RCC's identity of being a thug. While the days of the RCC's really thuggery are far behind them in Europe and America because they've lost the authority to conduct business as they see fit, that doesn't make them any less thugs at heart, or thugs where they can be.

The transgender issue isn't the reason I feel this way, it's just an example of their thug-identity. Another one is the fact that it took how long, years? of pressure for this pope to finally realize when he told the victims of priestly sexual abuse in Argentina to shut up, that wasn't cool. A decent person wouldn't have had the knee-jerk reaction to tell victims of abuse to shut their pie-hole, kwim? That's what a thug says. Then he sends in his fixer.

This idea of atheists going to heaven isn't this pope's brainchild. Argument like this are very much older than this pope, than this century. I recall finding some official writings somewhere that articulated the modern catholic position that a person who follows his consciousness is following the "law written on the heart" (Romans 2 or 3). So in the same way the person from some obscure tribe in South America who has never heard the story of the baby Jesus being born and scurrying off to Egypt so he could grow up and be sacrificed, a modern person who has grown up with this story but never heard a compelling reason that works *for him,* they are both said to be able to be "baptized by blood." That is, if they die and face Jesus at the judgement and then and only then really *get* it for the first time and accept his conditions, they could be saved in Catholic theology; Christ's sacrifice would work the same effect of baptism, and all the other missed sacraments.

Meanwhile, where they can, they do absolutely try to get the upper hand over more vulnerable and gullible people, and this pope is the CEO of that very large, very wealthy, very privileged machine. If he wants to be a "good person," in my opinion, he should start speaking out about the health benefits of family planning. He ought to use his position of notoriety to encourage nations like the United States to stop using family planning policies, including abortion, as a condition for receiving aid. He ought to be educating the leaders in Catholic countries about the value of family planning, including the use of artificial birth control, as it is so directly correlated to an increase of better health and economic stability that it's morally criminal to pretend this traditional policy is appropriate, or even just okay.

Having said that (sorry, rant over, lol), just saying these words in such a public way and magnifying these concepts should help people distance themselves from the crap written in the founding texts of the xian religion. And the more they distance themselves from that crap, the more they can appreciate empathy and compassion for humanity, and ideally beyond.

Online stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +94/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 01:14:58 PM »
^^^^ While I think some of the things this Pope is saying and doing are steps in the right direction, overall he is another lackey for the CC.

I read recently (somewhere) there is a conservative deep state in the CC opposing some of the stuff this Pope is Pontificating.
Mankind is not likely to salvage civilization unless he can evolve a system of good and evil which is independent of heaven and hell.

George Orwell

When you believe in things you don't understand
Then you suffer
Superstition ain't the way

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +604/-62
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 01:15:42 PM »
I read recently (somewhere) there is a conservative deep state in the CC opposing some of the stuff this Pope is Pontificating.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Pope fell on a knife at some point.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +295/-3
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 02:48:14 PM »
A recent study (published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine ) shows a sobering correlation between religiosity and suicide among LGBTQ teens and young adults.

“Religious groups who stigmatize LGBT people should be aware of the potential damage they can do to an individual and families, and honestly the damage they do to themselves as an organization,” study co-author John R. Blosnich told HuffPost.

Some stats you'd think would be intuitive if God were really acting vicariously through this jabroni, and if Christ actually cared about the well-being of children and teens:

Five percent of heterosexual youth reported attempting suicide in their lifetimes, compared to 20 percent of bisexual youth, 17 percent of questioning youth and 14 percent of gay or lesbian youth.

Notably, the study authors found that religion may have acted as a protective factor against suicide attempts among heterosexual youth. Each increase in the level of importance of religion among straight youth was associated with a 17 percent reduction in recent suicide attempts. 

On the other hand, for lesbian and gay youth, increasing levels of religious importance were associated with increased odds of recent suicidal ideation. In fact, lesbian and gay youth who said that religion was important to them were 38 percent more likely to have had recent suicidal thoughts, compared to lesbian and gay youth who reported religion was less important. Religiosity among lesbians alone was linked to a 52 percent increased chance of recent suicidal ideation.

Questioning youth who said religion was important to them were nearly three times as likely to have attempted suicide recently, compared to questioning youth who reported religion was less important.

While several mainline Protestant and even evangelical leaders have begun to embrace a more inclusive theology, some of America’s largest religious denominations still hold non-affirming views of queer sexuality. Roman Catholic Church doctrine views gay and lesbian relationships as “intrinsically disordered.”

So the pope can piss on our leg and tell us it's raining but the truth is still out there. He's the head of this gianormous, worldwide, amazingly wealthy religious corporation that is still training kids to be ashamed of themselves for who they are if their sexual development doesn't correspond to bronze age moral expectations. He's encouraging parents to teach their kids to try and pray these feelings away. He's in charge of a global infrastructure that encourages entire nations to treat sexuality as a criminal offence. Fuck him and the horse he rode in on. If he's got enough heart to tell a kid his atheist dad can go to heaven, stop telling queer kids they won't!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:53:55 PM by albeto »

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +367/-9
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 04:25:12 PM »
I wouldn't be too hopeful. Catholics are already decrying the Pope because he doesn't match their extremists views. Funny how the Pope is God's mouthpiece and leader of a religion except when the mouthpiece doesn't match what the believers want to justify with their religion (homophobia, sexism, etc.).
And that is why things will never change for the better.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +84/-176
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 05:49:00 PM »
Maybe someday the Pope will even realize there is no torturous hell.
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10