Author Topic: what is wisdom?  (Read 418 times)

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +360/-4
Re: what is wisdom?
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 10:41:49 AM »

Notice what ISN'T here?

A definition.

Quite, but as you know, trying to get an answer out of kevinagain is like trying to pin jell-o to the wall. Last time we talked about paradigm shifts he waffled between saying things like "you know how it is in that instance? well it is here too." Which left me: 0.o Then after some more prodding, he admits he didn't mean anything by it more than just "expanded knowledge." So at least now I have a code word I could throw into my search engine and understand wth he was trying to get at. It appears he did some searching to figure out what he meant too, and shared that with me. And I appreciated that.

Offline kevinagain

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +24/-4
  • mean people suck.
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2018, 11:02:16 AM »
boy, tough crowd.

next time i make a joke, i'll be sure to help everybody out.

Something else Kevin. I really hope that you won’t take this question in the wrong light  (so far seems to me that we’ve gotten along well in our interactions and not forgetting the support you’ve shown me at needed times online before - which I continue to greatly appreciate), but if this joke was about Quakers and not atheists would you find it funny then?

I don’t see that people here not finding this kind of thing funny is a sign of their being tough (as a crowd) to please. It’s just that a joke choice was picked that any atheist isn’t especially likely to find funny - just the same as if I made the same kind of joke regarding a theist of any kind.

Have to say I didn’t/don’t see what was funny about this either. Sorry.

don't worry about it, emma.

you can joke about quakers all you want. we have a pretty thick skin.

in addition, we do enough stupid things that there's lots to laugh at.
don't make excuses for nasty people. you don't put a flower in an asshole and call it a vase.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2018, 11:33:05 AM »
I guess there’s not a whole lot I can say to that! Well, other than I personally don’t want to make that kind of joke about Quakers (despite being an atheist) - but if you really don’t care what jokes are made about Quakers by me or anyone else fair enough!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +446/-25
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2018, 12:08:39 PM »
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline kevinagain

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +24/-4
  • mean people suck.
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2018, 12:10:30 PM »
well, emma, on the subject of wisdom, there was an american humorist who went by the name of mark twain a hundred or so years ago. i can't find the quote, but i recall he once said something to the effect that when people find a subject too serious to be laughed about, that it more important than ever that it be laughed at.

when people get too thin skinned to laugh at themselves, it's time to stop taking them seriously.
don't make excuses for nasty people. you don't put a flower in an asshole and call it a vase.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +95/-183
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2018, 01:29:14 PM »
ithe ability to make correct decisions based on apparently insufficient data.

I think this is more of a definition for discernment.  Discernment is the ability to determine the correct, or wise, decision.  Wisdom is actually making the right decision verses just knowing the right decision.
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10

Offline kevinagain

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +24/-4
  • mean people suck.
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2018, 01:31:02 PM »
hadn't thought of it that way. self-destructive people can be fully aware of the reasons and consequences for their behavior, yet choose it anyway.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +95/-183
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2018, 01:52:57 PM »
"A Christian walks into the bar preaching "Everyone in here is a sinner and is deserving of death!" Then a Jew walks into the bar and says "Everyone in here is a sinner and deserving of death!" Then a Muslim walks into the bar and says "Everyone in here is a sinner and deserving of death!" And then blows up the place."
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +119/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2018, 02:17:03 PM »
"A Christian walks into the bar preaching "Everyone in here is a sinner and is deserving of death!" Then shoots em all dead with his AR15. Then a Jew walks into the bar and says "Everyone in here is a sinner and deserving of death!" Then starts selling them life insurance. Then a Muslim walks into the bar and says "Everyone in here is a sinner and deserving of death!" And then blows up the place."

Racism is easy.............. :'(
Don't stop smiling at the world and keep your head full of hope.

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +360/-4
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2018, 02:39:15 PM »
"A Christian walks into the bar preaching "Everyone in here is a sinner and is deserving of death!" Then a Jew walks into the bar and says "Everyone in here is a sinner and deserving of death!" Then a Muslim walks into the bar and says "Everyone in here is a sinner and deserving of death!" And then blows up the place."

Because God provides instructions to be loving and kind.

This comment is quite an illustration in the more productive instructions offered and modeled from the bible and religious communities. These instructions promote divisiveness, fear, and hatred, all while covering it in hypocritical, self-congratulatory platitudes of love and kindness. Your religion makes your moral code sociopathic in nature. That you think this is funny is a testament to your lack of humor and empathy, and helps reveal just who you value, and why. That you think this would be appropriate here shows a clear lack of discernment. Or care.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +446/-25
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2018, 06:29:45 PM »

and in times past, it would be the Christian and the Jew blowing up the place. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +95/-183
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2018, 04:23:41 PM »
"A Christian walks into the bar preaching "Everyone in here is a sinner and is deserving of death!" Then shoots em all dead with his AR15. Then a Jew walks into the bar and says "Everyone in here is a sinner and deserving of death!" Then starts selling them life insurance. Then a Muslim walks into the bar and says "Everyone in here is a sinner and deserving of death!" And then blows up the place."

Racism is easy.............. :'(

The joke is not about race.  It's about religion.  And I tried finding a joke specifically about Christians but couldn't find a good one.  Searching for "jokes about Christians" only returned jokes from Christians.

And yes, I know Muslims are not all that way.  The vast majority are not.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Fellow
  • Darwins +95/-183
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2018, 07:13:24 PM »
hadn't thought of it that way. self-destructive people can be fully aware of the reasons and consequences for their behavior, yet choose it anyway.

Yes, and I believe that's what's called foolish behavior.  Wisdom is a protection.  The Bible points this out.

"For wisdom is protection just as money is protection, But the advantage of knowledge is that wisdom preserves the lives of its possessors." (Ecc 7:12)

I think this relates to the question, what has done to protect mankind.  The foremost thing God has done is to impart his wisdom.  It's recorded in the Bible.  God is not to be blamed for the results that happen from not using it.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2018, 02:58:02 AM »
well, emma, on the subject of wisdom, there was an american humorist who went by the name of mark twain a hundred or so years ago. i can't find the quote, but i recall he once said something to the effect that when people find a subject too serious to be laughed about, that it more important than ever that it be laughed at.

when people get too thin skinned to laugh at themselves, it's time to stop taking them seriously.

Admittedly, I am personally quite thin skinned. It’s just one of those things I’ve never been able to quite shake from certain early life experiences. Though i’m probably not so bad there as I once was, there is still room for improvement.

I did feel a bit silly yesterday. Because it was hot/sunny out I wore some some clothes which aren’t my every day style. They would be called chav style clothes where I live (basically a certain type of sports wear that’s closely associated with this term) but I didn’t care. They were light coloured (I picked this type of colour to avoid absorbing too much heat) and comfortable and that’s all I was bothered about - making a wise choice of outfit for the weather for when shopping.

Anyways, with it I wore sun glasses. I also purchased a cheap sports cap and started wearing it as soon as I picked it up.

When queuing up in my local Marks and Spencer’s (after picking up some t shirts) I noticed one of the shop assistants giving me a strange look. I also noticed one of the people being served doing the same. He started laughing at me and (quite loudly) commented that I looked like Ali G and asked if I often had people telling me the same. The shop assistant that had given me the strange look commented that she agreed with him.

Ali G is this fictional character: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_G

It probably didn’t help that this was my second shopping trip of the day (which I hadn’t really wanted to do) and by that point felt like I had a headache coming on and was extra drowsy because of the heat - which made me feel irritable). But I didn’t react well. My first thoughts were along the lines of “Why can’t people just mind their own business regarding my clothing choices, and why is the guy assuming I dress like this all the time when he doesn’t even know me.”While not rude, I wasn’t exactly friendly in my response to the guy.

But after the guy pointed out he was just teasing I felt kind of bad. In hindsight I could kind of see where he was coming from (although I certainly didn’t agree that I looked like the character) and it wasn’t worth making a big thing out of. I think, unfortunately, because I used to be on the receiving end of a lot of criticism (during school days) over how I dressed and how I looked (and more often than not it was meant nastily) I’m too quick to jump to the conclusion that people are doing the same to me today - even if they’re not. Was a good reminder that I definitely need a thicker skin over this kind of thing!

Edit: Thanks for mentioning that humorist. May well look them up!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:00:36 AM by Emma286 »

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2018, 02:59:31 AM »

Offline kevinagain

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +24/-4
  • mean people suck.
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2018, 05:25:09 AM »

Thanks for that Velkyn.

i stand by what i said, emma. please make sure you read what i actually write, rather than what people twist and claim is mine.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:26:58 AM by kevinagain »

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2018, 06:36:32 AM »

Thanks for that Velkyn.

i stand by what i said, emma. please make sure you read what i actually write, rather than what people twist and claim is mine.

Will do so Kevin.

Offline kevinagain

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +24/-4
  • mean people suck.
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2018, 08:22:04 AM »

When queuing up in my local Marks and Spencer’s (after picking up some t shirts) I noticed one of the shop assistants giving me a strange look. I also noticed one of the people being served doing the same. He started laughing at me and (quite loudly) commented that I looked like Ali G and asked if I often had people telling me the same. The shop assistant that had given me the strange look commented that she agreed with him.

youre under no obligation to make allowances for the rudeness of strangers, emma. personal comments on your appearance are only as welcome as you choose to make them. you wouldhave been within the rights of decorum to ask him back if people often thought he looked like a jerk.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2018, 01:33:35 AM »

youre under no obligation to make allowances for the rudeness of strangers, emma. personal comments on your appearance are only as welcome as you choose to make them. you wouldhave been within the rights of decorum to ask him back if people often thought he looked like a jerk.

Appreciate what you’re saying Kevin. He really wasn’t being mean though. A bit tactless/outspoken maybe but he meant no harm. If I hadn’t already been feeling as irritable as I was I probably would have taken things in a less sensitive light. But thanks anyway! :-)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +446/-25
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2018, 02:50:11 PM »

Thanks for that Velkyn.

funny how I gave an link to what he said.  Shucks.   :D