Author Topic: Valentines Day Your Opinion?  (Read 210 times)

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +118/-1
  • WWGHA Member
Valentines Day Your Opinion?
« on: February 14, 2018, 12:20:39 PM »
Whether you’re single or with a partner are you doing anything to celebrate it this year? Or do you prefer not to bother with it? What’s your view on it? :-)

Regarding my view I know it’s a made up holiday (what holiday isn’t!). And I totally get that there’s places out there that use this as a reason to charge extra expensive prices for gifts/that more is made out of this than absolutely necessary at times.

Still, the way I personally see things is that it can be treated as a harmless bit of fun. I also see that, in treating it this way, that there’s no need to go mad gift buying wise for it if one doesn’t have the cash/just simply doesn’t want to. There’s also no need to to go with traditionally encouraged ways of celebrating it I.e roses, chocolates, stuffed toys or candy if none of those things appeal. People can show caring/appreciation for others in other ways - taking into account other applicable personal preferences.

Though, that all said, if the idea of celebrating the holiday really doesn’t appeal to someone/chooses not to celebrate it in any way then I have no problem with it.

Right that’s me done! Over to you. :-)

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +530/-9
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
Re: Valentines Day Your Opinion?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 12:29:08 PM »
I think it's massively exploited and highly over-rated. but my boyfriend was almost always out of the country on Valetines Day for decades, so I'm used to it not being a 'thing'. Sometimes he would plan ahead and have flowers delivered, and he brought me chocolate from wherever he went as a matter of course already.[1]

I dunno, I'm not a fan of love on demand, and I prefer to give gifts when I find them, as opposed to on a specified date and of a certain type. That said, I don't have any objection to the idea in general, I just wish it wasn't made into such a BFD.

And I do intend to put up a year round holiday tree once we move, so I suppose Valentines Day will be represented for at least a brief stretch. Meh, I clearly have mixed feeling about this whole subject, lol
 1. Meiji Black is my long time favorite, thanks to this habit
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +401/-23
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 12:44:39 PM »
it's nice enough now, but I hated it with a passion when I was in elementary school where you had to decorate some damn box and then everyone put their valentines in your box; nothing but a popularity contest and who had the parents who did the work.  what a crappy thing to do to kids. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +118/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 12:59:17 PM »
I think it's massively exploited and highly over-rated. but my boyfriend was almost always out of the country on Valetines Day for decades, so I'm used to it not being a 'thing'. Sometimes he would plan ahead and have flowers delivered, and he brought me chocolate from wherever he went as a matter of course already.[1]

I dunno, I'm not a fan of love on demand, and I prefer to give gifts when I find them, as opposed to on a specified date and of a certain type. That said, I don't have any objection to the idea in general, I just wish it wasn't made into such a BFD.

And I do intend to put up a year round holiday tree once we move, so I suppose Valentines Day will be represented for at least a brief stretch. Meh, I clearly have mixed feeling about this whole subject, lol
 1. Meiji Black is my long time favorite, thanks to this habit

That’s a great idea on the year round holiday tree! I’ve never thought of doing that kind of thing. Can appreciate why that would work!

Yeah...I have to admit I do agree that this is exploited to a point. The whole way it tends to be advertised does put forth a “give love on demand” kind of message/a sense of pressure. It would be nice, I think, if retailers could rethink how they advertise it. I also do think it’s silly as to how early stores start putting out all the Valentine’s Day stuff too - though to be fair this isn’t just done for Valentines Day.

Here, places have already started up with Easter and Mother’s Day stuff too. I do find that kind of annoying.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +118/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 01:06:06 PM »
it's nice enough now, but I hated it with a passion when I was in elementary school where you had to decorate some damn box and then everyone put their valentines in your box; nothing but a popularity contest and who had the parents who did the work.  what a crappy thing to do to kids.

Really can’t say I blame you. I was never amongst popular people at any stage of being in school. Though (so far as I recall) I was never made to do anything like that I reckon I’d have disliked the idea if I was - at least at the schools I went to.

And, of course, decorating boxes just isn’t going to be everyone’s thing anyway. That’s a shame that you weren’t given the option of doing something different.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +374/-9
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 01:35:10 PM »
Always nice to be able to celebrate a Catholic saint who was murdered/tortured to death.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +401/-23
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 03:01:00 PM »
Always nice to be able to celebrate a Catholic saint who was murdered/tortured to death.

that seems to be pretty much what Christian holidays are, except for the ones that they stole from other religions.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +607/-65
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 08:19:12 PM »
Car was in the shop. Couldn't go out if I wanted to.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, son of Fire and Light, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hhz7Ff2

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +343/-39
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 09:07:37 PM »
Just another bullshit "holiday" designed to get me to spend money on a specific day. Not saying I boycott it though. My wife is a normie in many ways. So, I bought that bitch some chocolates. Bitches love chocolate. I guess that somehow demonstrates that I truly love her. As if the other 364 days of the year don't count.

Meh.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 09:10:54 PM by Mr. Blackwell »
The internet is self imposed isolation.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +118/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 06:39:03 AM »

Maybe that’s the technical reason for why some do. I’ve never celebrated it for that kind of reason though (anymore than I celebrate Xmas because it’s supposed to be Jesus’s birthday) and seriously doubt I’m alone.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +118/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 06:40:53 AM »
Bitches love chocolate.

Umm, I love chocolate (when it’s not horribly synthetic tasting). Can’t exactly help that. While I can certainly have bitchy moments (I’m not perfect) I’m definitely not a bitch overall. I’m sorry if you’re having problems with your wife just now, but wtf?

Anyway, for once I really wouldn’t mind a thread talk that doesn’t fast descend into personal attacks on others. Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 07:27:57 AM by Emma286 »

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +401/-23
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 09:41:39 AM »
Just another bullshit "holiday" designed to get me to spend money on a specific day. Not saying I boycott it though. My wife is a normie in many ways. So, I bought that bitch some chocolates. Bitches love chocolate. I guess that somehow demonstrates that I truly love her. As if the other 364 days of the year don't count.

Meh.

really?    >:(

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +343/-39
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 10:09:04 AM »
It's a meme. My wife and I both found them to be quite funny. It's a little inside joke we now use with each other from time to time.

look it

https://www.google.com/search?q=got+that+bitch+a&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGqb70mKjZAhUqhuAKHXMDBjEQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=_

Didn't mean to cause anyone any concern.

My Apologies
The internet is self imposed isolation.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +118/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 11:16:16 AM »
It's a meme. My wife and I both found them to be quite funny. It's a little inside joke we now use with each other from time to time.

look it

https://www.google.com/search?q=got+that+bitch+a&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGqb70mKjZAhUqhuAKHXMDBjEQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=_

Didn't mean to cause anyone any concern.

My Apologies

Ah, so what was said was a joke! My apologies in turn, I thought you were being serious because of your wife and yourself going through a stressful time or something like that.

I'm not very familliar with meme's, and am not always the best with understanding humorous comments - especially not over the internet! :-[

I'm glad that you and your wife enjoy that one anyways! ;-)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 12:55:45 PM by Emma286 »

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +205/-1
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 10:07:45 PM »
After Christmas...my birthday comes right up on Jan 2nd. Then our anniversary is Jan 26th. Gift and sentiment time is pretty much all used up by the time Valentine's day rolls around! LOL

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +172/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 10:21:38 AM »
I've been married for 22.5 years.  We still love, and like, each other.  You don't get there by "expressing your love on a special holiday."  You get there by expressing your love constantly, through the smallest of actions, changing habits as necessary, and in spontaneous displays of your affection.  St. V's is kinda dumb IMHO.
...religion is simply tribalism with a side order of philosophical wankery, and occasionally a baseball bat to smash...anyone who doesn't show...deference to the tribe's chosen totem.

~Astreja

To not believe in god is to know that it falls to us to make the world a better place.

~Sam Harris

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +118/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 09:26:35 AM »
After Christmas...my birthday comes right up on Jan 2nd. Then our anniversary is Jan 26th. Gift and sentiment time is pretty much all used up by the time Valentine's day rolls around! LOL

That's a tad similiar to my parents. They have their anniversary not long after Christmas in January, so by the time VD rolls around it's pretty much just an anniversary repeat!

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +118/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 09:37:05 AM »
I've been married for 22.5 years.  We still love, and like, each other.  You don't get there by "expressing your love on a special holiday."  You get there by expressing your love constantly, through the smallest of actions, changing habits as necessary, and in spontaneous displays of your affection.

I do agree with all that. I tend to think of any VD celebrating as being just a small part of an overall bigger picture there, but appreciate what you're saying.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1178/-40
  • We stand on the shoulders of giants
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 10:36:25 AM »
I’m okay with valentines.  I’m a stupid romantic. 

I also love to get discount candy the day after.  Bought a big ass russell stover’s heart box for $5 yesterday. Not really what my diet needs, but jeeze, $5!
What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Emma286

• Fellow
  • Darwins +118/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 11:12:43 AM »
I was lucky enough to spot a pretty big bag of marshmallow's in my local Lidyll branch on the day for just 99p. It did kind of look too good to be true (I worried that they might taste horrible) to me at the time but I decided to get it as a last minute gift anyway. It ended up that it wasn't wanted, and so I ended up having nearly all the bag to myself!

Not good for my diet either, but I thought 'what the hell' at the time!