Author Topic: #1 Atheist Fear  (Read 4210 times)

Offline PingTheServer

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Devil's Advocate
Re: #1 Atheist Fear
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2008, 07:00:49 PM »
Here's a GOOD motorcycle vid btw:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx1CkPcICaY[/youtube]

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2008, 07:51:42 PM »
Here is an adult making generalizations about private thoughts of an entire group of people.  He does make the disclaimer that he has wisdom, though.  How stupid do you have to be to believe that you know how such a large group of people FEEL about something?  Or that every person in such a large group could FEEL exactly the same about something?  All atheist fear death and all christians do not.  How stupid do you have to be to document your stupidity on film and display it in a manner that the whole world can access it?  I assume he watched it back before he posted it.  Here you have an egotist who came up with a way for people to watch him ride a motorcycle. 

Keep riding and lose the helmet.

LOL, good stuff.

I'll have to admit that his beliefs regarding atheism seemed to be very limited.  He only repeated the "atheism is not a religion" line twice as "examples" of debates he had as an atheist.  Not very convincing at all.  If that was the extent of his atheism then I'm more inclined to believe he only thought he was an atheist, but really hadn't done any deep introspection on the subject.  So when someone came along to convert him he was easy pickins, especially since they made him feel SOOOO 'special' because he was an atheistic convert.  They are probably the only people that have ever made him feel special about anything. 

Actually, I'd say that someone that considers themselves an atheist that switches to christianity would seem like a great trophy to the christians, since they can act like they had bagged the 'big one.'  Never mind that he has the critical thinking skills of a dung beetle.  But he probably loves the adulation he gets when he talks to the faithful about his former life as an atheist.  It's pretty much the same thing when they convert a drug addict or former rapist.  They parade them around as an example of the power of prayer, etc. >puke<

So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline Pale Rider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Agnostic
    • Bible Police
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2008, 08:16:01 PM »
Ben Franklin once said "show me your cemeteries and I will tell you what kind of people you have." are atheists the only ones buried in cemeteries?

Offline Buster Fixxitt

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Full-blown Antitheist.
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2008, 08:32:52 PM »
Here's a GOOD motorcycle vid btw:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx1CkPcICaY[/youtube]

Holy Crud.  That's FAST.  I cannot fathom doing a wheelie at those speeds.  I like to drive fast, but that's scared the crap outta me.  That dude would ROCK a speeder bike.

"When I was a child my mom put a picture up in my room of a chihuahua with big scary eyes, and I begged her to take it down. She said she couldn't, or the devil-clown under my bed would kill her." - Bug-Eyed Earl, Red Meat.

LRonHubbard92

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2008, 02:11:04 AM »
I don't fear death... I accept that once I die there is nothing else just rotting in the ground for millions of years until I become fertilizer.

-Alex

Offline PingTheServer

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Devil's Advocate
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2008, 01:52:17 PM »
Holy Crud.  That's FAST.  I cannot fathom doing a wheelie at those speeds.  I like to drive fast, but that's scared the crap outta me.  That dude would ROCK a speeder bike.

Search "ghost rider" on youtube, he has lots of vids.

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2008, 05:47:45 PM »
In the next video we are going to learn that the #2 thing that atheists fear is crucifixes, followed by sunlight and garlic.  Holy water is in there somewhere, too.

Sadly. I have known several people that have views and thought processes exactly like this guy's.  Or maybe 'thought processes' is being too generous...
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.  --Bertrand Russell

Offline Buster Fixxitt

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Full-blown Antitheist.
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2008, 06:40:37 PM »
In the next video we are going to learn that the #2 thing that atheists fear is crucifixes, followed by sunlight and garlic.  Holy water is in there somewhere, too.

Sadly. I have known several people that have views and thought processes exactly like this guy's.  Or maybe 'thought processes' is being too generous...

I should think the Ultimate Warrior could afford to be generous...
 ;D
"When I was a child my mom put a picture up in my room of a chihuahua with big scary eyes, and I begged her to take it down. She said she couldn't, or the devil-clown under my bed would kill her." - Bug-Eyed Earl, Red Meat.

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2008, 07:39:30 PM »

;D

LOL, I'm assuming you are referring to the mythological "Agamemnon?"

Offline Buster Fixxitt

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Full-blown Antitheist.
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2008, 08:30:54 PM »
 ;D

LOL, I'm assuming you are referring to the mythological "Agamemnon?"

One and the same.  You are He, are you not? Ye have returned unto us?  To once more slay the bull(sh*t) of heaven?

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2008, 08:42:09 PM »
One and the same.  You are He, are you not? Ye have returned unto us?  To once more slay the bull(sh*t) of heaven?

LOL, YES, I have returned!

Offline madame_zora

« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2008, 09:24:18 PM »

LOL, YES, I have returned!

Thank Gawd!

Since science deals in probabilities, I'm over the 50% mark or believing this guy is a liar. Now, it's possible he was an atheist, but I've just run into too many LittleLiarsForJesus not to be suspicious. He doesn't understand the arguments, and he flat out lied about "all atheists fear the ......CEMETERY!!!!!".

Most people fear or dread death regardless what they believe about an afterlife. I don't. I spent five years working as a cemetery manager and talking to families about death- it's really just the natural conclusion of life. I like dead people, they're quiet. I liked taking care of a place where families of dead people would come to seek solace.

I now agree with Mark Twain that "I was dead for billions of years before I was born, and it caused me not the slightest inconvenience". I think all indications are that consciousness is a function of a living brain, and when the brain ceases to function, consciousness is no more. Lights out. There is no suffering for "bad" people or reward for "good people", nor is there any being or function out in space weighing who's been naughty or nice.

As mature adults, we have decisions to make about our own contribution to the ongoing flow that is humanity- what role do we wish to play? How will we define ourselves through the tapestry of our own lives? What will the meaning of my life be? When people have become accustomed to defining the very meaning of their own existence through the lenses of folklore and mythology the clinging is understandably desperate. Nonetheless, if my suspicion is right and he is simply parroting a sentence atheists are known to say (atheism is not a religion) in an attempt to outright deceive people about his former status then that makes him a liar.

Too many of the religious use outright lies thinking somehow the ends justify the means, or if you delude yourself first then it's okay to lie to others. Neither of these things is true. You can lie to yourself all you want, but if you lie to someone else, they're within the boundaries of what is reasonable to call you a liar! And as far as the ends justifying the means- if you have to lie to make your point, you don't have one!

Now, I could be wrong and he could just be a stupid and/or lazy person who didn't bother to learn anything about science when he was an atheist, but I've got $5 that says this man never argued that atheism is not religion. I don't take anyone's proclamations as "gospel" and his seemed particularly insincere.
"Reality isn't something we invented to embarrass religious people." ~ captainmanacles

"Looking forward to a continuation of already-eternal life as myriad wandering  atoms doing interesting stuff." ~ Astreja

http://madamezoratoo.blogspot.com/

Offline Agamemnon

• Fellow
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2008, 09:49:05 PM »
...Nonetheless, if my suspicion is right and he is simply parroting a sentence atheists are known to say (atheism is not a religion) in an attempt to outright deceive people about his former status then that makes him a liar.

...And a poor one at that.  Well said.

Offline BraveSkeptic

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Blessed Be His Noodliness!!!
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2008, 11:26:53 PM »
I don't expect anything more impressive or exiting than laying there in my grave and rejoining the ecosystem that gave birth to me. If I happen to go somewhere else, then that is great but to be completely honest I think heaven is just humanity tying to escape death; a timeless attempt to stem the slow trickle of age, and decay.

When it all comes down to it, the statistical likelyhood of a place such as that existing are minuscule at best. Not to say it isn't possible because it is almost impossible to rule out anything completely. This is the essence of my belief.

But hey, if it makes you sleep better at night thinking that there is a place to go when you die then power to you, just don't force it on me.
~ The inevitability of our coming together is a heartening prospect ~
~ Enlightenment is simply the steady creeping towards the center of the board ~
~ We are stuck with each other. There is nothing but us and the universe. Lets make it work! ~
~ Nomnomnomnomnom....." ~

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +266/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2008, 12:49:50 AM »
I don't expect anything more impressive or exiting than laying there in my grave and rejoining the ecosystem that gave birth to me.

That's my take on it, too.  In my experience, as years have gone by I've gradually lost interest in defending the concept of "me".   Realizing that I'm not even the same person I was yesterday makes it easy to accept that there's no eternal {insert_your_name_here} and hence no need for eternal life as {insert_your_name_here}.

Looking forward to a continuation of already-eternal life as myriad wandering atoms doing interesting stuff.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline madame_zora

« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2008, 04:07:38 AM »

Looking forward to a continuation of already-eternal life as myriad wandering atoms doing interesting stuff.

That belongs on a t-shirt- the true test for elegance of any idea! Really, that was pretty awesome and it made me smile.
"Reality isn't something we invented to embarrass religious people." ~ captainmanacles

"Looking forward to a continuation of already-eternal life as myriad wandering  atoms doing interesting stuff." ~ Astreja

http://madamezoratoo.blogspot.com/

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +266/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2008, 10:51:22 PM »
That belongs on a t-shirt- the true test for elegance of any idea! Really, that was pretty awesome and it made me smile.

:) Thank you!
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles