Author Topic: Update  (Read 161 times)

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +104/-1
  • WWGHA Member
Update
« on: August 14, 2017, 02:38:28 PM »
Wanted to offer my apologies for not having gotten back to people better in threads/conversations recently. It's been difficult recently for me to spend much time here because I'm currently taking part in an employment support programme offered by a mental health charity local to me. It means I've had to spend a lot of time on things in relation to that recently. 

Plus, something unexpected out of this has come up. I've been told about a voluntary reception/administrator vacancy going at the charity and have decided to apply for it! Have been having mixed feelings as to whether or not this is a good idea (given I've felt that maybe the timing is a bit early), but have decided to give it a shot anyway. It is one of those things that's unexpectedly taking me quite a bit longer than expected (given it's the first application form of it's kind I've filled out in a long time now) however.

What with all this, on top of needing to keep up with usual routine stuff, I've been pretty busy!

Hoping to be able to be at least a bit more active here again soon when, hopefully, things calm down at least somewhat.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +336/-19
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: Update
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 02:48:48 PM »
good luck, emma!   and don't worry about us, we'll always be here  ;)
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +104/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 03:35:02 PM »
Thanks Velkyn I appreciate that! ;-)

Offline wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +190/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 04:13:44 PM »
No worries, Emma. Good luck with this unexpected opportunity!
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +104/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 04:25:34 PM »
Many thanks Wright, that's very kind of you.

Have to say that I'm feeling pretty far from confident I'll get it (reached a point yesterday when I nearly changed my mind because I had such strong doubts) but keep reminding myself that all I'm doing is applying and just seeing what happens!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +335/-9
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 04:32:23 PM »
Seems like in life many things and opportunities come unexpected.  We just have to jump in with both feet and make them work out for us.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +104/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 05:31:44 PM »
Very true Nick, or at least we have to try our best to anyways!

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +104/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 08:59:37 AM »
Well found out today that I've got the voluntary job!

I was panicking quite a bit yesterday and first thing this morning, because after the manager (who I had to submit my application to) asked me to drop in to one of the organisation offices this morning to give information for a DBS check I assumed, most likely, there'd be some kind of interview process at the same time. I was feeling far from ready for one (especially because of long standing social anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder - well so I've been told on the latter anyway - and was convinced that one would take place and I'd end up screwing it up without being able to help it.

Still, thankfully, it turned out that I didn't have to do one. Just needed to let a staff member take a copy of some ID and bank statement info and to fill out a DBS form. Once I receive a DBS certificate and can give them a copy of it I can start. Will be volunteering there once a week.

Hopefully the experience will go quite a bit further towards making me employable for paid work. My current one has to a degree but not so much as I hoped it would, and the one I worked before that even less so. Thinking it's definitely more likely with this place.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +336/-19
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 11:37:39 AM »
Well found out today that I've got the voluntary job!

I was panicking quite a bit yesterday and first thing this morning, because after the manager (who I had to submit my application to) asked me to drop in to one of the organisation offices this morning to give information for a DBS check I assumed, most likely, there'd be some kind of interview process at the same time. I was feeling far from ready for one (especially because of long standing social anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder - well so I've been told on the latter anyway - and was convinced that one would take place and I'd end up screwing it up without being able to help it.

Still, thankfully, it turned out that I didn't have to do one. Just needed to let a staff member take a copy of some ID and bank statement info and to fill out a DBS form. Once I receive a DBS certificate and can give them a copy of it I can start. Will be volunteering there once a week.

Hopefully the experience will go quite a bit further towards making me employable for paid work. My current one has to a degree but not so much as I hoped it would, and the one I worked before that even less so. Thinking it's definitely more likely with this place.

congrats!
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +104/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 12:47:49 PM »
Thanks Velkyn very much appreciated.

Offline wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +190/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 01:07:48 PM »
As another depressive and socially anxious type, I understand your stress- and your relief at finding out the scenario you'd made in your head had nothing to do with reality. I've lost count of the number of times I've put myself through similar situations, though I've slowly gotten better at calming down before, during and after them.

Congratulations. No matter how this pans out, you can learn useful things about yourself at the very least.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +104/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 04:22:14 AM »
As another depressive and socially anxious type, I understand your stress- and your relief at finding out the scenario you'd made in your head had nothing to do with reality. I've lost count of the number of times I've put myself through similar situations, though I've slowly gotten better at calming down before, during and after them.

Congratulations. No matter how this pans out, you can learn useful things about yourself at the very least.

Many thanks to you also Wright. Much appreciated again.

Yup, so true. One thing I've learnt from CBT is the tendency to automatically catastrophise. While at times feared circumstances do become partly true or completely true, and worries can
be for good valid reason, certainly can all too easily turn out that when we get anxious we've been working ourselves up into a state over nothing!