Author Topic: The research librarian couldn't find it  (Read 79 times)

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +308/-114
  • MIGHT DOES NOT MAKE RIGHT
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
The research librarian couldn't find it
« on: August 12, 2017, 08:27:52 AM »
I was hoping to find some books on TBB and TOE for my pre-schooler at the library.  That lady tried real hard but could not find a thing on TBB.

I have two reasons for doing this. 1. I want my grandson to be smart and interested in science.  2. His other grandma is teaching him about Jesus.  That's totally disrespecting my son's request.

Instead of having a God debate with my 4 year old I feel it's more appropriate to teach him the scientific method along with logic and critical thinking.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.  Thank you.
MY POSTS CAN TAKE DAYS FOR APPROVAL.....

Online jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1087/-26
  • WWGHA Member
Re: The research librarian couldn't find it
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 09:11:12 AM »
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +469/-9
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 11:00:39 AM »
I was hoping to find some books on TBB and TOE for my pre-schooler at the library.  That lady tried real hard but could not find a thing on TBB.

I have two reasons for doing this. 1. I want my grandson to be smart and interested in science.  2. His other grandma is teaching him about Jesus.  That's totally disrespecting my son's request.

Instead of having a God debate with my 4 year old I feel it's more appropriate to teach him the scientific method along with logic and critical thinking.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.  Thank you.

I'm on my way out the door for the morning (perhaps longer), but I'll check in with my son later and see what resources he has for my granddaughter, and do some digging of my own as well.

EDIT: I was just about to close down when I remembered that Neil DeGrasse Tyson has a video(?) about teaching science to children, but I can't recall what it's called. In it, he talks about how to encourage curiosity and exploration, and what kind of tools to make available to them, like a magnifying glass and things like that. Maybe try searching his name and science for children? Good luck, and I think this is a very good approach!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 11:04:05 AM by Jag »
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +308/-114
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 05:49:21 AM »
Thanks y'all.  I bet I can find some old Bill Nye episodes on you tube too. 

It's getting harder to even convince him to let me read him a book.  Damn it, that really pisses me off because 3 weeks ago before his mother decided to start all this ruckus he loved for me to read to him.  It helps if I turn off the TV. :P

Seriously 3-4 weeks ago he would grab 3-4 books from his book collection, he doesn't even have one on the other side, and wanted me to read everyone of them.  He's so precious. :)

I should have put reading on his star chart.  I did use the cooperation star to get him to listen to his book yesterday.   I wasn't crazy about the book because it made the sun seem like a sentient, speaking thing.  I changed the wording a bit and he learned that through photosynthesis, he was so cute saying that and he nailed it, all life is possible on Earth.  He learned the words oxygen and carbon dioxide too.  We breathed in and out while saying oxygen in-carbon dioxide out.  The book is: Living Sunlight, How Plants Bring the Earth to Life by Molly Bang and Penny Chisholm.

I am not ashamed to say these books are good for me too. :P

The whole idea started because his other grandma told him, ''god dropped him off''.  He already seems skeptical because he asked ME if that was true.  I told him the best I could how he came to be and then made up a child version of TBB.  We were on a nature walk so that helped a lot.  I think I have the advantage here because he thinks I'm wise and she can't even dress him!  He's a big fan of Moanna.  He has been exposed to other mythical gods like Thor, Hercules, etc through children's books and movies.  I'm happy he asked me, that to me means he is not convinced.

He whispered in my ear, I talked to god, I asked him did he talk back to you.  He said no.  I left that hanging.  We were having a talk later that day and I was given the perfect opportunity to say we believe things through our senses, smell, I had him smell a flower, see now that's real, I said look at me, you can see me, I am real, I had him touch his own arm, I said you are real, he tasted his food, I said that's real and last but not least you can hear me so I'm real.  I taught him about the 5 senses.

Most people here like you JAG know I didn't approve of indoctrinating children even when I was a theist.  Needless to say I'm even more adamant about that now!!!  It would be different if they were like good examples of Christianity but they're not.  The recent attempt to sever  my son and I from his precious little life shows me hypocrites.  They don't go to church, they curse like sailors, gossip like crazy, I bet knowing the father/grandpa there, they do not even donate to charity.  I know quite a bit because before they broke up their daughter, my grandson's mother, did not have anything good to say about him or her mother.

It's an educated guess but I do not see her mother's IQ going much above 85 and I don't see hers being more than 95-105.  The grandpa has some smarts but I'm quite positive he's a narcissist. 

I really don't think any of them know how adamant I am about keeping my grandson out of the mental illness cycle.  I have talked to his mother about it but I might as well been talking to an inanimate object.  I do have empathy for these people even through my anger right now.  Whether they like it or not Mason will not turn out like them.  Maybe at the end of the day Mason will help them, when he's grown.

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +469/-9
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 12:18:19 PM »
Okay, I'm not sure that I found the original reference from above, but I found a similar one, and a sh!t ton more stuff that might be helpful. Take a look when you have some time:

http://bigthink.com/videos/give-your-kids-binoculars-and-get-out-of-the-way

https://mic.com/articles/117678/8-times-neil-de-grasse-tyson-changed-a-kid-s-life-with-just-one-quote#.7FsI2bAx5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG3nvnxi_yY

Yes, I AM a NdGT fangirl!  ;)

If he prefers video to books (keep reading books to him, I bet he will come around soon), you could try Nova for Kids, or maybe The Magic School Bus videos (check those for specific topics maybe?)

I have one more video resource, but I can't get it to post. I'll try to ID the problem and get it in here too.

"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky that created the entire universe and the majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." ~George Carlin

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +469/-9
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 12:19:11 PM »
http://thekidshouldseethis.com/post/18852773127

^^^There it is. No idea why it wouldn't post with the others.

Offline junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +308/-114
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 04:50:50 AM »
I can't wait to watch these with Mason this weekend! :)

I'm a big fan of NDGT too. Especially those ties!

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 04:52:36 AM by junebug72 »